Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this the end of Democrat front runner Joe Biden?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,324 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The irony of you asking for data to back up a claim :rolleyes:

perhaps there is a book thousands of years old that can be used as a source?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

So folks are thus now suggesting a tough trade deal with slap load of tarrifs, and a US policy of protectionism, are actually all great things for the Chinese exporters, lolz.

Make China Great Again, isit?

So folks are thus now suggesting a tough trade deal with slap load of tarrifs, are actually a great thing for the Chinese exporters, lolz.

who pays for the tariffs?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,270 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

So folks are thus now suggesting a tough trade deal with slap load of tarrifs, are actually a great thing for the Chinese exporters, lolz.

It's isn't great for either one and both sides are hurt to some degree in a tariff war.

However it's like comparing a kick in the balls to a slap in the face.

And FYI - It's the people who actually PAY the tariffs are the ones getting the kick in the balls.

And make no mistake , the US consumers are the ones paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

So folks are thus now suggesting a tough trade deal with slap load of tarrifs, and a US policy of protectionism, are actually all great things for the Chinese exporters, lolz.

How did Trumps tariffs work out for American farmers?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mayrarodriguezvalladares/2019/08/12/trumps-trade-wars-are-hurting-midwest-farmers-banks-and-state-coffers/amp/

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.pbs.org/newshour/amp/economy/3-reasons-farmers-hurt-by-the-u-s-china-trade-war-still-support-trump

• Advertisement

In a tariff/trade war, the world's #1 exporter will in the medium, and longer term take the most hurt.

Plenty of other countries to source from instead, along with overdue investment in homegrown US industry, who will actually be the winner.

...well that is until Joe drops the CTX, CGT and a raft of other tax rises. Reducing US GDP by 1.51%* over the long term.
    *Tax Foundation’s General Equilibrium Model for Biden's tax plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,226 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

In a tariff/trade war, the world's #1 exporter will in the medium, and longer term take the most hurt.

Plenty of other countries to source from instead, along with overdue investment in homegrown US industry, who will actually be the winner.

...well that is until Joe drops the CTX, CGT and a raft of other tax rises. Reducing US GDP by 1.51%* over the long term.

Who pays for the tarrifs?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Not really the question I asked.

He is significantly behind in every single poll , in every place that it matters.

Do you believe that Trump deserves to be re-elected based on his current performance and that it is only because "The media are being mean to him" that he is not ahead in all the polls?

Other than "Getting his unfiltered message out" , do you feel there are any areas in which Trump could do with a bit of improvement to further his support?
    The polls don’t make sense to me. What does make sense it their reliance on far too many democrats in the sampling to make Biden look better. The majority think Biden IS suffering from cognitive decline. Also Trump leads Biden on economic issues and people ultimately vote from their pocket books. The areas Biden leads Trump are issues most American’s put at the bottom of their list of concerns. Therefore Biden leading by so much makes absolutely no sense.

And sure there are areas Trump can do better. Probably in everything as no one is infallible and there’s always room for improvement. I have said the same for every president. But overall I think Trump is doing a good job so far and deserves to be reelected.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

notobtuse wrote: »
    The polls don’t make sense to me. What does make sense it their reliance on far too many democrats in the sampling to make Biden look better. The majority think Biden IS suffering from cognitive decline. Also Trump leads Biden on economic issues and people ultimately vote from their pocket books. The areas Biden leads Trump are issues most American’s put at the bottom of their list of concerns. Therefore Biden leading by so much makes absolutely no sense.

And sure there are areas Trump can do better. Probably in everything as no one is infallible and there’s always room for improvement. I have said the same for every president. But overall I think Trump is doing a good job so far and deserves to be reelected.

i presume you have a credible source for this? otherwise this is just a case of "i dont like the current reality so i will create my own"

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,270 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

What's your definition of medium and longer term here?

The bottom line is though , tariffs and/or moving manufacture back to the US just drives up cost to the consumer which ultimately slows down the economy.

The US economy is driven massively by consumer spending - If everything costs 20-30% more , that spending will dry up.

• Advertisement

Any representative sample of US population will contain more Democrats , simply because there ARE more Democrats than Republicans and every poll that I have looked at applies a weighting factor to counter balance that.

Gallup polling on Party affiliation

May 2020 Figures

Republican - 25%
    Independent - 40%
    Democrat - 31%

They then asked Independents to indicate their "leaning"

38% said that they either leaned or were mostly Republican

50% said the same for the Democrats.

Based on that , combining the above would put the Democrats on about 51% and the Republicans at about 40%

Which is pretty much bang on what the current polling shows in terms of Biden vs. Trump.

So not sure where this perception of imbalanced Polling comes from.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,184 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Trump could cure cancer and the democrats and their media handmaidens would come up with some reason to complain about hospitals, doctors and nurses losing their jobs.

Because of mainstream media hatred, Trump still needs a way to bypass media bias and get his message directly to the people. Perhaps remove himself form Twitter's bias and join Parler?

The old “trump could cure cancer” spiel...

And how close is Trump to curing cancer? Is he down at the lab?

Isn’t it true, in fact, that Trump wants to undo Obamacare and with it insurance for millions of Americans and untold legions of cancer victims?

All indications to the layman indicate in fact if anything Trump is working at impeding cancer research and treatment not enabling it. His budgets slash cancer research funding.

If you’re going to throw a glib remark perhaps you should get away from “curing cancer”

• Registered Users Posts: 82,184 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

What has he done that deserves re election? What will he did with 4 more years?

Overheal wrote: »
    What has he done that deserves re election? What will he did with 4 more years?

Dunno why you're asking Obtuse that question, sure Fake Tan Man himself couldn't answer it when Hannity asked him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,260 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Is there a point to this thread anymore? Joe Biden's the presumptive nominee. Maybe we need a '2020 US Presidential election thread' (as against a Trump presidency thread). Then we can discuss both candidates.

Igotadose wrote: »
    Is there a point to this thread anymore? Joe Biden's the presumptive nominee. Maybe we need a '2020 US Presidential election thread' (as against a Trump presidency thread). Then we can discuss both candidates.
    Suppose the bigger question is will he physically even make it to November?

Forecasting he'll be replaced between now and November, and actually any of the other Dem candidates would do a far better job of it.

Forecasting he'll be replaced between now and November, and actually any of the other Dem candidates would do a far better job of it.

And the exact same thing was said about Clinton. It's national enquirer style nonsense that you're pushing..

How much have you bet on this? Love how Trump zealots make all these predications yet never place large bets on said predications. It's like they either don't believe the fantasies they spout or they don't like free money.

And the exact same thing was said about Clinton.
    She did seem to have some fits and fainting as the pressure mounted in the run up to November, don't think anyone questioned her health up until that point? Even then could have just been stress/exhaustion before then loosing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,260 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Like I said, no problem discussing this in a "2020 Presidential Campaign thread." We don't need one specifically about Biden.

And, as far as your nonsense goes, Bill Gates has a replacement already in mind, fully injected with control chips. Haven't you got the memo?

• Advertisement

She did seem to have some fits and fainting as the pressure mounted in the run up to November, don't think anyone questioned her health up until that point? Even then could have just been stress/exhaustion before then loosing.

Clinton fainted on 9-11, the conspiracies about her health predate that. In much the same way as Biden, it relied on random clips of her to push the conspiracy.

https://www.vox.com/2016/8/18/12505078/hillary-clinton-health-stroke-conspiracy-fake

How much have you bet on this? Love how Trump zealots make all these predications yet never place large bets on said predications. It's like they either don't believe the fantasies they spout or they don't like free money.
    Trump singles during peak (live event) were subject to max limitations, however that's not to say you could not assign it also, as an acca line selection to avoid/escape this scenario.

ZAojj33.png

Don't tend to do large singles (risk mitagation), instead accumulators are the default choice, ideally trebles and fourfolds. Donald's price hasn't nearly peaked yet, 3.4 is the target zone, if that does not occur, election night Trader's coffee enduced variance, it will be. Potentially with arb/offsetting on BFE.

A gradual array of alternatives to old Joe is underway, these will be long-term slowburner, low-stake, mixed-event, high-yield stakes (6-12mths).

Nailing down his due replacement is the trickier part, but many are 200/1 regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,226 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

He looks dodgy because the software in his centre control system needs updating and Bill Gates is too busy developing microchips to implant in the coronavirus vaccine

Bill Gates has a replacement already in mind, fully injected with control chips. Haven't you got the memo?
    Go easy on the coffee lad/lassie lols

i presume you have a credible source for this? otherwise this is just a case of "i dont like the current reality so i will create my own"
    According to Gallup (and the numbers change weekly) on average it looks like people identify as the following: 30% Republican, 38% Independent, and 30% Democrat.

I heard about these polls on talk radio (NPR I believe) notoriously oversampling democrats and undersampling republicans. I’ve look through a number of recent polls and they seemingly provide lots of information EXCEPT the number of people sampled by political party. Wonder why? Because it would expose those numbers indicating a glaring flaw in the sampling, perhaps? Now if someone can find data on a recent poll showing Trump down by 8-10 points, and with the breakdown of sampled respondents by party it would be most appreciated. And if you can find the information by 'REGISTERED’ voters it would be so much better.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

duploelabs wrote: »
    He looks dodgy because the software in his centre control system needs updating and Bill Gates is too busy developing microchips to implant in the coronavirus vaccine
    Must be on the expresso's, you should go easy on these.

BillyGates has little to do with the election, his interests are in vaccines, data markers (these are not 'chips'), cryptocurrency, Digital IDs, health software etc.

Clinton fainted on 9-11,
    Didn't realise, lucky she didn't win eh, with all that faiting about all over the place.

Yes, this is a thread about Biden. You and your like have turned it into a whataboutery thread. How about simply staying on topic? If you want to talk about Trump do it in the other thread. Or if they must be combined how about we combine them into this one so I can post? Or is it your goal to make it so I can't comment on the presidential election?

Didn't realise, lucky she didn't win eh, with all that faiting about all over the place.

Only quoting a single line from my post to dodge addressing my point...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Clinton fainted on 9-11, the conspiracies about her health predate that. In much the same way as Biden, it relied on random clips of her to push the conspiracy.

https://www.vox.com/2016/8/18/12505078/hillary-clinton-health-stroke-conspiracy-fake

How come Clinton is still alive? We were assured by the usual suspects that she was on her last legs before the election and didn’t have long to go. Admittedly, Biden is in worse shape than she really was. If he can avoid COVID, an acute cardiovascular event or some truly dramatic senior moment, he should beat the sociopath in chief. Even on Fox recently, under absurdly easy questioning, Trump was unable to make the case for four more years of golf (3 handicap, mar dhea) and tweets, instead rambling off into a word salad of petty grievances. If he’s waiting for the debates to save him, he will probably have missed his chance. Many votes will be mailed in and most people already know what a terrible debater Biden is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement