Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Greatest Song Sung By A Woman.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Another great list of songs and 2 that I didn't know and really liked.

I gave 9 songs full marks, bringing the total to 25 I think.
    Only 1 zero - although there was a couple of songs that came close.
    And one of the duets gave me a hard time picking points - because I love the female voice but don't like at all the male voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I've only listened to the first two parts as yet but a lot of great songs so far. I haven't got a clue what's gonna win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

This competition has gotten me into Nightwish, since their nomination in the first group. If any more of their songs pop up in this they will more than likely be getting high scores from me, every song i have heard of theirs so far i have liked

• Registered Users Posts: 30,372 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Sawduck wrote: »
    This competition has gotten me into Nightwish, since their nomination in the first group. If any more of their songs pop up in this they will more than likely be getting high scores from me, every song i have heard of theirs so far i have liked

There's one more to come ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

To the person who nominated The Raccoons Theme Song...

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

68516d51b4bee44c2e1d3ef936c25bdd586465d7_00.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 30,372 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

My Part 4 scoring comprises of:

7 scored 20
    2 scored 18
    1 scored 17
    2 scored 15
    3 scored 10
    3 scored 7
    2 scored 5
    6 scored 0

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Only 1 track got top marks from me in Round 4 (and I nominated it) but it was also the only round where I gave only 1 zero.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Nearly done with the songs from Round 2.

Even the songs I nominate aren't likely to get 20/20. That's reserved for my favourite songs, and my favourite songs are not sung by women for the most part.

• Advertisement

quickbeam wrote: »
    Nearly done with the songs from Round 2.

Even the songs I nominate aren't likely to get 20/20. That's reserved for my favourite songs, and my favourite songs are not sung by women for the most part.

But this competition is about the Greatest Songs, sung by women?? :confused:

And, Round 2 done!

Scores ranged from 6 to 18.

Average: 12.52 (slightly up from Round 1)

1 scored 18/20
    1 scored 6/20

Pretzill wrote: »
    But this competition is about the Greatest Songs, sung by women?? :confused:

Yes ... ?

Not sure where the confusion lies.

Let's say my favourite song ever is Bohemian Rhapsody, that would get a 20/20 (it's not, but let's say).

Few songs so far in this competition compare with Bohemian Rhapsody as far as my own personal enjoyment goes.

Even the songs I nominated don't compare with Bohemian Rhapsody.

So, I mark accordingly.

I just happen to prefer songs sung by men. That's not to say that I hate every song sung by a woman. Or that some songs by women aren't better than some songs by men. I'd take Son of Preacher Man by Dusty Springfield over Flying Without Wings by Westlife any day.

Yes ... ?

Let's say my favourite song ever is Bohemian Rhapsody, that would get a 20/20 (it's not, but let's say).

Few songs so far in this competition compare with Bohemian Rhapsody as far as my own personal enjoyment goes.

So, I mark accordingly.

I just happen to prefer songs sung by men. That's not to say that I hate every song sung by a woman. Or that some songs by women aren't better than some songs by men. I'd take Son of Preacher Man by Dusty Springfield over Flying Without Wings by Westlife any day.

That makes little sense - we are whittling down a very big list here - so the higher score a song gets the more popular it is and it will make it into the heats for Strawbs to give us to decide upon and also obviously if a song doesn't do it for you it's your chance to knock it off the list -

This is specifically for the best song sung by a female artist so where my confusion lies is within those parameters surely there will be top scores (particularly for your own nominations)

I mean do whatever you will but it doesn't make sense to not stand behind your own choices fully imo - I would much rather see someone voting in this who actually enjoys the topic too. Again that's just my personal take and at the end of the day it's only a bit of fun. :)

Sure I don't have the greatest breadth of musical taste. This is the first competition where I've actually listened to the entries. Previously I would vote only if I liked a song, or had a strong hatred for a song (voting for the competition in that case), but actually know very few of the entries.

I'm not "not enjoying the topic". I wouldn't sit down and LISTEN to music which is why I'm only on Round 2. It's grand to have on in the background while I work and rate like that with the playlist let play all morning through.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Yes ... ?

So, I mark accordingly.

:confused::confused::confused:

I don't get that either. Bohemian Rhapsody (or whatever) isn't in the competition or the category, so surely your favourite song based on the requirement of it being sung by a woman would get your top score.

I would say that some of the songs I've nominated aren't my favourite songs either. Not even close. But in the category of being specifically sung by a woman they are.

Fair enough. I just wouldn't give 100% marks to a song that isn't a favourite. I'd use my favourite song(s) as a benchmark. Not my favourite song in the category.

Same no matter what the category is. If it is favourite song of the 80s, I'd still be judging songs against Bohemian Rhapsody (say).

I think someone wrote earlier that so long as you are consistent in your marking throughout the rounds, it should work out.

I'm not "not enjoying the topic".

Sorry that came across wrong, I'm glad you're enjoying it :P - What mostly puts me off these Greatest...nom things is something voted top for reasons, other than great - Some of my most favourite songs are sung by women and then some of my most favourite songs are sung by men who sound like women :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,185 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Pretzill wrote:
    Sorry that came across wrong, I'm glad you're enjoying it - What mostly puts me off these Greatest...nom things is something voted top for reasons, other than great - Some of my most favourite songs are sung by women and then some of my most favourite songs are sung by men who sound like women

Oh my God :eek:

You've heard me sing in the shower havent you!!!

Pretzill wrote: »
    Sorry that came across wrong, I'm glad you're enjoying it :P - What mostly puts me off these Greatest...nom things is something voted top for reasons, other than great - Some of my most favourite songs are sung by women and then some of my most favourite songs are sung by men who sound like women :D

And weirdly, in a lot of cases, any songs sung by women that I like, sound like they're sung by men too.

Out of just over 250 CDs that I own, only four are by women, and none would I consider in my top tier. I had to go outside my collection for my nominations. But I also had to for the 60s, 90s and 00s competitions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

And weirdly, in a lot of cases, any songs sung by women that I like, sound like they're sung by men too.

Out of just over 250 CDs that I own, only four are by women, and none would I consider in my top tier. I had to go outside my collection for my nominations. But I also had to for the 60s, 90s and 00s competitions.

makes sense.
    I am actually closer to the other end of the spectrum. My collection is around 4000 CDs/cassettes/MP3s - over a period of 34 years.
    So I have a great variety of taste and went through most genres throughout this period of time, and probably that explains why I give so many high scores.
    Without looking, I would say that from the 100 songs in the first 4 rounds, at least 60 must have gotten 10 points or more.

Round 4 submitted.
    This was an excellent selection; four perfect scores and no zeroes from me this time. There was one song on the list which I immediately thought "oh I don't like that one" when I saw it; upon listening I realised "oh I actually do quite like this" and it went from a 4 to a 12. :o

Score #
    20 4
    18 1
    16 1
    14 1
    12 4
    10 8
    8 2
    6 3
    4 1
    2 1
    0 0

Part 5

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4SZsR4u8Q7rSGo6xPtWxb1?si=7monGLdmT4SMAdh4LYXgHA

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLOF8MMEgcF4k0HU4S8wJM7_2_zg205jc-

100 Like Me - Stephanie Rainey
    Mandinka - Sinead O'Connor
    Space Song - Beach House
    Whiteheat - Madonna
    Standing in the way of Control - Gossip
    Hello - Adele
    Bad Girl - Madonna
    9 to 5 - Dolly Parton
    Alone - Heart
    Nymphetamine Fix - Cradle Of Filth
    One More Time - Brittney spears
    Weak - Skunk Anansie
    Gorgeous - Taylor Swift
    Lithium - Evanescence
    Paradise by the Dashboard Light - Meat Loaf & Ellen Foley
    End of Time - Lacuna Coil
    I Will Always Love You - Whitney Houston
    Because The Night - Patti Smith
    Rock Lobster - The B-52s
    A Thousand Years - Christina Perri
    The Day Squid's Gerbil Died - Lunachicks
    Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This) - Eurythmics
    I Will Always Love You - Dolly Parton
    Rolling in the deep - Adele
    I'll Stand By You - Girls Aloud
    I need a Hero - Bonnie Tyler

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Another really strong group for me here in Group 5...

Points for this Group:
    9 Songs got 20 Points (2 of which I had nominated)
    3 Songs got 16 Points
    3 Songs got 12 Points
    4 Songs got 8 Points
    4 Song got 4 Points
    3 Songs got 0 Points

Of all 5 Groups so far:
    31 Songs got 20 Points (7 of which I had nominated)
    17 Songs got 16 Points
    18 Songs got 12 Points
    21 Songs got 8 Points
    17 Songs got 4 Points
    24 Songs got 0 Points

Only got half way through Group 3 in the afternoon. Will finish it tomorrow. Am way behind here!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,813 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I'll Stand By You...
    tenor.gif

...Girls Aloud
    source.gif

Only got half way through Group 3 in the afternoon. Will finish it tomorrow. Am way behind here!

Take your time. I’m gonna take a few days break on Wednesday.

Don’t shoot the messenger, EN :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,185 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I have ratings submitted up to playlist 5 from last night (yep, I'm a swot QB :P) I'm not sure I'll get a chance to do the others till the weekend anyways :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Advertisement