Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

The titchy little heifer is doing mighty! Here's her with a 4 week old Cloughbrack Navarone boy.

uHX39C5h.jpg

Moooooommmm! What's that? It's like a calf....only smaller:p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Moooooommmm! What's that? It's like a calf....only smaller:p

:D:D Ruby can't help being petite!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

At this for the last few days. Starting to take shape now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,723 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

At this for the last few days. Starting to take shape now.

Another calving shed? Is that the machine you bought last year....looking well?

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭High bike

:D:D Ruby can't help being petite!

You won’t put her under ur arm in another week:D

• Advertisement

tanko wrote: »
    Loyal straws are €10 each or 25 straws for €200.

Gamin (ZGM) is the same.
    both bulls are great value at that

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭tanko

High bike wrote: »
    both bulls are great value at that

They are indeed.
    There's a pedigree royalty of €40 for Loyal and €37 for Gamin.

Another calving shed? Is that the machine you bought last year....looking well?

Ya that's it alright. No, it's a cattle crush. A friend is after buying a round of shuttering and we got a few jobs. I have the machinery and he has the pans and all the tools for the concrete work. Handy enough if we get a few jobs around locally.

Nearly there now, old pillars taking a bit from it but it's what we were given.

Pic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Can anyone here give me a rough price for the comfort slat mats?

When the class calf here we tend to keep them isolated with the calf for about 1 week but despite cleaning and bedding daily we have have trouble with dirty teats and calls not sticking that quarter as a result. So every evening we'd have to clean and sometimes drain them.

Going to put them all back onto slats now with calves in a straw bed with access to cows

Was thinking that some of the cow mats might help reduce the dirty teats. We all work off farm too, so reducing workload would be beneficial.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

When the class calf here we tend to keep them isolated with the calf for about 1 week but despite cleaning and bedding daily we have have trouble with dirty teats and calls not sticking that quarter as a result. So every evening we'd have to clean and sometimes drain them.

Going to put them all back onto slats now with calves in a straw bed with access to cows

Was thinking that some of the cow mats might help reduce the dirty teats. We all work off farm too, so reducing workload would be beneficial.
    Think it’s about €1000 per 12ft 6 x 15ft 9 pen

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭FeelTheBern

Think paid €1600 per pen for 16’6 stat with a front hob about 3 years ago. To be honest I’m not sure that the cows teats any cleaner on them that the normal slats. They are definitely easier on the feet though. Have cows with bad feet on them over the winter and they wouldn’t last two days on normal slats. I just put in two pens and put dodgy feet on those.

Did you consider any other brand of mats like easy fix?

Jaysus - thats a lot more expensive than I was expecting.

Moved the calves today into a straw bedded pen and put the cows on slats. Calves have already sussed to go down for a suck and then come back up to lie on the straw. We'll just have to keep an eye on the teats and clean them if any look dirty.
    Not sure why it has been a problem this year - it usually isn't. But I think part of the problem is that we are at home now more due to the restrictions and are finding work where it would have been solved naturally when we were at work.

I've noticed us having much problem with feet - sometimes the dirt would look awful, but when they start shedding the winter hair they clean up well. I'd be looking for them primarily for cleanliess perspective and maybe for rearing some cattle on for slaughter as I've read that they are good in that regards. However, that price would be totally prohibitive for our setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Jaysus - thats a lot more expensive than I was expecting.

Moved the calves today into a straw bedded pen and put the cows on slats. Calves have already sussed to go down for a suck and then come back up to lie on the straw. We'll just have to keep an eye on the teats and clean them if any look dirty.
    Not sure why it has been a problem this year - it usually isn't. But I think part of the problem is that we are at home now more due to the restrictions and are finding work where it would have been solved naturally when we were at work.

I've noticed us having much problem with feet - sometimes the dirt would look awful, but when they start shedding the winter hair they clean up well. I'd be looking for them primarily for cleanliess perspective and maybe for rearing some cattle on for slaughter as I've read that they are good in that regards. However, that price would be totally prohibitive for our setup.

Why are the cows still in?
    We put in riverstick mats a few years ago, about 800 i think +vat per 10'6 bay,

Why are the cows still in?
    We put in riverstick mats a few years ago, about 800 i think +vat per 10'6 bay,

Cows still calving as well and like to get some grass ahead of me before putting them out.
    Not many have their cows out up here yet.
    Plus got some reseeding done so want that for silage first.
    Plenty of bales left here so they can stay in a while longer, although I'd prefer them to be out but with reseeding and insufficient grass yet for strip grazing then I'm having to keep them in.

The long term plan would be to calve April. Keep in for about week to ensure the calves and cow are doing okay, out for up to a week during day, back in and checked at night, and then out permanently. But that would be weather dependant. We've had a great April this year so keeping them in longer would need to be planned for.

28 month old ZXT pb with a Loyal bull.
    Very impressed with the heifer, calved in approx five mins, took to calf straight away, milky, trusting of everyone & not overly protective.
    I'd like to clone her please :D Her comrade heifer who is a Salers jumped out of the crush yesterday from a standing start, leaving her calf behind. I wouldn't mind but she was only there so I could tag the calf for scheme, wasn't doing anything to the mother!!Can hang out of her neck, scratch her, do anything to her in the field, just don't corner her.

3beLgVZh.jpg

Lovely unit there. What do you think of Loyal now, will you use him much this year?

tanko wrote: »
    Lovely unit there. What do you think of Loyal now, will you use him much this year?

I dunno, while good on heifers, think there's better bulls for cows out there, they just seem to be lacking that bit of panache. Would like to see some heifers off him and see what he's like for milk in those as well. Haven't actually looked at any limos yet for the year ahead, must do that some evening. I'd like a few new straws to try.

• Advertisement

Doing a bit of this today. A tree that fell a few years back. In a very wet place so took advantage of the dry weather to go in and cut it. I got stuck once and had to be pulled out .... drove about 6 feet in too far. Have to take it out in a transport box, will take a few trips. Still some size of a tree. Have to go right around with the 16" to cut it.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Doing a bit of this today. A tree that fell a few years back. In a very wet place so took advantage of the dry weather to go in and cut it. I got stuck once and had to be pulled out .... drove about 6 feet in too far. Have to take it out in a transport box, will take a few trips. Still some size of a tree. Have to go right around with the 16" to cut it.
    do u want a loan of an axe Patsy:D

do u want a loan of an axe Patsy:D

Thanks, but logsplitter is flying through it. ;) It's warming me now anyway, whatever about during the winter.

Pic might attach now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭MfMan

Pic might attach now.

Is the side on the right poured wall? Is it steel-reinforced? Plenty more questions to follow! :)

MfMan wrote: »
    Is the side on the right poured wall? Is it steel-reinforced? Plenty more questions to follow! :)

Ya, 80ftx5ftx8inch wall. Steel tied and turned up from footings and tied mesh on then for the wall. Ask away. I wouldn't go for a 5ft wall in a cattle yard but the fella we were doing it for was adamant it was high enough.

MfMan wrote: »

Better pic of the wall.

Better pic of the wall.
    super job how may meters of concrete went into the yard?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭MfMan

Ya, 80ftx5ftx8inch wall. Steel tied and turned up from footings and tied mesh on then for the wall. Ask away. I wouldn't go for a 5ft wall in a cattle yard but the fella we were doing it for was adamant it was high enough.

Ya, I'd be happier with a foot higher also. How deep were your footings? Is the steel absolutely necessary - a man I asked said hardly, there wouldn't be that much pressure from cattle, but again, I think I'd nearly be happier with it. Also, are you to put a ledge/platform where the crush uprights are?

A long (long) time thinking of getting round to do the same..

• Advertisement

super job how may meters of concrete went into the yard?

20 meters. Tight enough to do it now. Just the bare 4 inches in it.

Advertisement