Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Useful suggestion for you. Maybe it would be a good idea to properly read the comment of the poster I was replying to before making smart arse replies. He clearly mentioned his own recycling bin in his post not a bottle bank.

It’s not a smart ass comment cause it’s a fact. Bin men should be wearing gloves.

I never take any suggestion from u on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

there'll be less overall with restrictions in place than without, so ...

gradual lifting starting on 5th of May is the way to go

Hopefully yes, I have no problem with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

road_high wrote: »
    Doesn't surprise me. These lot have been lavished with a sales monopoly the past age so why bother with all that. People will have to come in anyhow and will make no difference to the most important thing- their bottom line.
    If i hear another one of their patronising adverts :mad:

Thats also needs to be called out. They are permitted to sell non essential items but local hardware is closed. Also the €350 getting paid out non means tested. Yet again the middle class is screwed. The large crowds attending funerals. The inquest into the mismanagement will be interesting. STFAH#.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,430 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I honestly feel that Varadkar, Harris, the CMO and RTÉ are speaking to the nation like we are all fcuking simpleton lemmings. If I hear one of them bleat about “staying the course” or “stay at home” one more time, I swear....

I’m very weary of it. It’s only been 6-7 weeks but it feels like it’s been 6 months. I think the message they are feebly trying to bat us over the head with is rapidly losing meaning. I didn’t see tonight’s CMO conference but Tony was completely ridiculous lastnight. R0 down to near zero. No spread in community for 2 last weeks. Yet he’s speaking to us like some disapproving school teacher, that we’re still on “detention”.

The media, including our national broadcaster are putting their own convenient spin on it. Here in the West of Ireland we’ve had the most miserable fcuking 6-7 months of endless rain and storm after storm. The lockdown just happens to coincide with a long overdue decent spell of sunshine. Quelle surprise. People are out and about enjoying the sunshine. Yet this is being reported like the people doing so are villainous cretins. It’s completely ludicrous, a spin to suit an agenda.

It’s clear I’m not alone in this, judging by this thread and what I see all around me every day, particularly the last few days. Honestly I probably was a bit nervous about it all for about a week but it’s long since passed. I’m not worried about the virus. I don’t feel threatened by it. I don’t perceive it to be a threat at all in my community. What I am worried about is, what’s going to be left to go back to when this spineless government finally relent and let people get back to their livelihoods. Or what’s left of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Spencer Brown

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I honestly feel that Varadkar, Harris, the CMO and RTÉ are speaking to the nation like we are all fcuking simpleton lemmings. If I hear one of them bleat about “staying the course” or “stay at home” one more time, I swear....

I’m very weary of it. It’s only been 6-7 weeks but it feels like it’s been 6 months. I think the message they are feebly trying to bat us over the head with is rapidly losing meaning. I didn’t see tonight’s CMO conference but Tony was completely ridiculous lastnight. R0 down to near zero. No spread in community for 2 last weeks. Yet he’s speaking to us like some disapproving school teacher, that we’re still on “detention”.

The media, including our national broadcaster are putting their own convenient spin on it. Here in the West of Ireland we’ve had the most miserable fcuking 6-7 months of endless rain and storm after storm. The lockdown just happens to coincide with a long overdue decent spell of sunshine. Quelle surprise. People are out and about enjoying the sunshine. Yet this is being reported like the people doing so are villainous cretins. It’s completely ludicrous, a spin to suit an agenda.

It’s clear I’m not alone in this, judging by this thread and what I see all around me every day, particularly the last few days. Honestly I probably was a bit nervous about it all for about a week but it’s long since passed. And I think I’m far from alone.

It's amazing how the vast majority of the country felt they had done such a ****e job over the last decade that they wanted them out of government, now the same people are seemingly backing their every decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭titan18

The nursing home scandal will turn out to be a massive stain on Leo and Simon.
    They were looking in the wrong place for the virus (similar to Bandit Luke looking at the sweat left by joggers on the footpaths).

People would criticize them if they prioritised nursing homes over hospitals too tbf. There was a finite amount of ppe and testing resources. Seems understandable to me to prioritize those with a higher chance of survival. Might be **** but that's life

It’s clear I’m not alone in this, judging by this thread and what I see all around me every day, particularly the last few days. Honestly I probably was a bit nervous about it all for about a week but it’s long since passed. I’m not worried about the virus. I don’t feel threatened by it. I don’t perceive it to be a threat at all in my community. What I am worried about is, what’s going to be left to go back to when this spineless government finally relent and let people get back to their livelihoods. Or what’s left of them.

For some unknown reason Ryan Tubridys incessant stay at home you fools s##te is boiling my pi##. Im sure 500k a year means hes not thinking towards his mortgage payments in Summer, so hes in no position to judge any normal folk

• Registered Users Posts: 9,985 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Just a reminder that there are zero cases of spread in an outdoor environment according to one big study
    https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.04.20053058v1

Three hundred and eighteen outbreaks with three or more cases were identified, involving 1245 confirmed cases in 120 prefectural cities. We divided the venues in which the outbreaks occurred into six categories: homes, transport, food, entertainment, shopping, and miscellaneous. Among the identified outbreaks, 53.8% involved three cases, 26.4% involved four cases, and only 1.6% involved ten or more cases. Home outbreaks were the dominant category (254 of 318 outbreaks; 79.9%), followed by transport (108; 34.0%; note that many outbreaks involved more than one venue category). Most home outbreaks involved three to five cases. We identified only a single outbreak in an outdoor environment, which involved two cases.

The insistence on blaming people going outside is just a tactic to cover up government failure in controlling spread in places they should have been controlling.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

For some unknown reason Ryan Tubridys incessant stay at home you fools s##te is boiling my pi##. Im sure 500k a year means hes not thinking towards his mortgage payments in Summer, so hes in no position to judge any normal folk

Stay at home in your Dalkey mansion where you can fish off a jetty outside

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

titan18 wrote: »
    People would criticize them if they prioritised nursing homes over hospitals too tbf. There was a finite amount of ppe and testing resources. Seems understandable to me to prioritize those with a higher chance of survival. Might be **** but that's life

Totally agree, some people think they know all while criticising everything from a keyboard...It takes all sorts to make a world.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

fin12 wrote: »
    It’s not a smart ass comment cause it’s a fact. Bin men should be wearing gloves.

I never take any suggestion from u on board.

Really? How will I manage to sleep tonight after reading this? Broken hearted so I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,786 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

They are talking to people like simpletons because they have to make sure they are getting to everyone. It looks like some (yourself includes) this is serious. It has killed over a thousand people in only 3 months. At that is with the restrictions. What do you think it be like if they say f it just open it back up. Your last paragraph is the reason we might have this lockdown longer

I dont get you bit of the surprise of a lockdown during good weather. Are you suggesting they manufactured it this way. That is some conspiratorial stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 9,985 ✭✭✭normanoffside

They could have prioritised nursing homes and hospitals (let's be honest, nursing homes are effectively hospitals for very vulnerable people) and worried less about letting healthy people go outside and getting on with their lives.

There are many ways people can go outside and these have very little affect on disease spread.

There are also many ways people can work in low risk environments but the government went on the road of banning all 'safe' social and economic activity while ignoring the big problem in Nursing homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Does he not appear to have got the most mildest case of the virus ever? He literally was back on that late late sh*t show two weeks later.

So who would you listen to. Maybe if we get someone of the families that died or the families of those who are still in ICU. Maybe Mary Lou might actually make you think though she probably does not have to think of her mortgage like Tubridy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Spencer Brown

They are talking to people like simpletons because they have to make sure they are getting to everyone. It looks like some (yourself includes) this is serious. It has killed over a thousand people in only 3 months. At that is with the restrictions. What do you think it be like if they say f it just open it back up. Your last paragraph is the reason we might have this lockdown longer

I dont get you bit of the surprise of a lockdown during good weather. Are you suggesting they manufactured it this way. That is some conspiratorial stuff

Jesus man, stop posting when drunk.

Jesus man, stop posting when drunk.

If you have a problem with my points let's me know. If it is my grammar of spelling I am sorry on phone and dyslexia do not go together

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭Downlinz

I expected and hoped for easing restrictions on May 5th but at this point I think the lockdown is likely to continue for another couple of weeks and would agree with that outcome.
    The numbers haven't dropped quick enough and I think the goal from all this should be to ensure that this is the one and only lockdown, with the information we have on reoccurences in places like Singapore I think it's fair to say that if we re-open soon we're going to wind up in a state of flux bouncing between open and lockdown for the rest of the year which would be a horrible situation.

Patience from everyone and locking down May and I think we'll see the path back to something resembling normality in June.

Eh what?
    I think my post sailed over your head Martin.

So who would you listen to. Maybe if we get someone of the families that died or the families of those who are still in ICU. Maybe Mary Lou might actually make you think though she probably does not have to think of her mortgage like Tubridy

We implemented restrictions to lower the Ro. We have achieved that. Thays all we were asked to do. Staying at home is now doing more damage. This is not a death sentence. 0.1% of those over 65 are at risk.
    Every death is a tragedy. And before Covid every death is a tragedy. And after Covid every death will be a tragedy. But the world doesnt stop as per W.H Auden.

• Advertisement

Eh what?

The paragraph about the good weather I admit I got wrong did not read it properly but the first bit I dont think so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

fin12 wrote: »
    Does he not appear to have got the most mildest case of the virus ever? He literally was back on that late late sh*t show two weeks later.

80% of cases are mild

*and there's evidence of asymptomatic cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

Downlinz wrote: »
    I expected and hoped for easing restrictions on May 5th but at this point I think the lockdown is likely to continue for another couple of weeks and would agree with that outcome.
    The numbers haven't dropped quick enough and I think the goal from all this should be to ensure that this is the one and only lockdown, with the information we have on reoccurences in places like Singapore I think it's fair to say that if we re-open soon we're going to wind up in a state of flux bouncing between open and lockdown for the rest of the year which would be a horrible situation.

Patience from everyone and locking down May and I think we'll see the path back to something resembling normality in June.

What case number or data would allow for relaxing of restrictions though? It's a 0 or close outside healthcare and care home settings, what else can be done now?

Eh what?

Nope because this is when I stopped reading your post waffle.
    I honestly feel that

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭titan18

They could have prioritised nursing homes and hospitals (let's be honest, nursing homes are effectively hospitals for very vulnerable people) and worried less about letting healthy people go outside and getting on with their lives.

There were articles saying we didn't have enough PPE in hospitals. How would spreading that amount amongst more people have been done?

Nursing homes were complaining nurses were being recruited by HSE. Where would the extra nurses have come from if we didn't do that?

There was huge backlogs in testing at the start. How would we have tested more people when we already couldn't test fast enough?

The ban on healthy people going out was so we wouldn't overwhelm hospitals. If we let people out and didn't close pubs, or reduce the reproductive rate, how would our hospitals cope with more cases along with the idiots in a&e cos they're drunk.

As it is with the first set of restrictions before pubs closed, we had temple bar and other pubs packed, we had people flocking to beaches and parks. If our population could be responsible adults, it'd have been grand but there's far too many idiots here to leave things go. Even now cos we haven't enforced fines etc people are taking the piss.

There were articles saying we didn't have enough PPE in hospitals. How would spreading that amount amongst more people have been done?

Nursing homes were complaining nurses were being recruited by HSE. Where would the extra nurses have come from if we didn't do that?

There was huge backlogs in testing at the start. How would we have tested more people when we already couldn't test fast enough?

The ban on healthy people going out was so we wouldn't overwhelm hospitals. If we let people out and didn't close pubs, or reduce the reproductive rate, how would our hospitals cope with more cases along with the idiots in a&e cos they're drunk.

As it is with the first set of restrictions before pubs closed, we had temple bar and other pubs packed, we had people flocking to beaches and parks. If our population could be responsible adults, it'd have been grand but there's far too many idiots here to leave things go. Even now cos we haven't enforced fines etc people are taking the piss.

You shouldn't bother because all his waffle is based on what he's learning from the CMO and Varadkar as opposed to his own analysis in early March...as I said some people are only good at typing from a keyboard :pac:

We implemented restrictions to lower the Ro. We have achieved that. Thays all we were asked to do. Staying at home is now doing more damage. This is not a death sentence. 0.1% of those over 65 are at risk.
    Every death is a tragedy. And before Covid every death is a tragedy. And after Covid every death will be a tragedy. But the world doesnt stop as per W.H Auden.

Yes and the restrictions will be eased . They are trying to get testing results to a quick level and the full testing of nursing homes has knocked this a bit. They were not going to do it the week of a bank holiday. However if people start doing whatever the hell they want now we will be back in lockdown again.

As you said the point of this was to reduce the Ro and also bot to overwhelm the health service. Now is not the time to celebrate but act responsible. The economy is taking a nose dive, anyone who thought it would not were fooling themselves and it will take a while to come good again but it will

The paragraph about the good weather I admit I got wrong did not read it properly but the first bit I dont think so

No.
    They’ve admitted it’s not in the community. R0 close to zero. No community spread in a fortnight. We’ve done all we can do and now they’re moving the goalposts because they’re still flappping around, deferring real decisions for more weeks. Harris is probably reading up Wikipedia on the previous 18 Covids....

All this bleating about people becoming complacent and “stay the course” is a smokescreen for their complete cock ups in nursing homes, farcical testing cock ups and the PPE equipment fiasco.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭Dickie10

if it meant we got to open up a bit quicker i would favour another 2 weeks of lockdown, too try and subdue the disease so much that the aftershock wave we will get will be minimal because we will get one. but we would need to open up things every fortight during june. could we save some of the tourist season in july/august/september it would save a lot of cafes and hotels/restaurunts with irish only tourism. i mean if the government sees fit to open up big events of over 5000 people by spetember 1st, nobody is going to tell me there going to locking up hotels where less than 300 people would gather max up to august 1st? we are not going to go form 0 people to 5,000 being allowed gather overnight surely? will it not be a stepped approach? up to 100 then 3 weeks later up to 500? then another fortnight 1,000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

No.
    They’ve admitted it’s not in the community. R0 close to zero. No community spread in a fortnight. We’ve done all we can do and now they’re moving the goalposts because they’re still flappping around, deferring real decisions for more weeks. Harris is probably reading up Wikipedia on the previous 18 Covids....

All this bleating about people becoming complacent and “stay the course” is a smokescreen for their complete cock ups in nursing homes, farcical testing cock ups and the PPE equipment fiasco.
    'community transmission' means that they don't know how the patient aquired the disease. theres still transmission outside of care homes, we need restrictions in place to keep this transmission low, otherwise it will just take off exponentially again...

It’s clear I’m not alone in this, judging by this thread and what I see all around me every day, particularly the last few days. Honestly I probably was a bit nervous about it all for about a week but it’s long since passed. I’m not worried about the virus. I don’t feel threatened by it. I don’t perceive it to be a threat at all in my community.

and thats why we need the restrictions

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement