Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eir rural FTTH thread III

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭ninja 12

Headshot wrote: »
    Planned launch for the new FTTH 500 Mb Profile is the 27th April 2020
    MBSnr wrote: »
    ^^^
    Is this only for new customers from the 27th Apr onwards or will they move those on the existing 300Mbps profile to the new 500Mbps?
    oscarBravo wrote: »
    Up to each ISP.

Any word on what Eir plan to do for their current customers ?

Im on 300Mbps with Eir .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

ninja 12 wrote: »
    Any word on what Eir plan to do for their current customers ?

Im on 300Mbps with Eir .

hopefully Eir will upgrade us to 500 by default. The 300Mbps plan has not been available for new orders for the past while on Eir's website. All other providers still have the 300 plan listed, so i'm guessing those on other networks may have to request the free upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭ninja 12

Gonzo wrote: »
    hopefully Eir will upgrade us to 500 by default.

Hopefully they will .:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭limnam

Anyone with Airwire having issues streaming from echo's ?

Weird problem the last few days where all services seem ok bar any requiring streaming. Can't seem to find any global outages anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,108 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Probably not related but the EU asked Netflix to reduce the quality of their streams as all the people covid-19 isolating were using up too much of the US - Europe bandwidth. Someone in the US was having problems and traced it back to their local node which was at 100% capacity.

Need more fibre in the diet, obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

tuxy wrote: »
    New ONT?
    What a waste of everyones time.

That's just the way it is. Lot of onts going to waste if they're not getting collected. someone moves out of a house and someone else moves in and wants an account it comes out install and verify Insitu ftth. So it's usually known there's ftth at the premises but needs someone to register an ont to the line for new customer account. Should just be a provider to opener request. Ask the customer to call out the serial number over the phone and wait a min then bam ont repaired to account.
    Maybe it does work that way for some i wouldn't see those cases as there'd be no need for me to be there.
    Happens with provider changes too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

limnam wrote: »
    Anyone with Airwire having issues streaming from echo's ?

Weird problem the last few days where all services seem ok bar any requiring streaming. Can't seem to find any global outages anywhere.

You would need to be a lot more specific. Streaming what ? From where ? Which service ?

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    You would need to be a lot more specific. Streaming what ? From where ? Which service ?

/M

Seems ok today

Was pretty much any streaming service.

3rd party applications like soma fm

Tune in / Global player _any_ that required streaming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭eiei0

Hi All what is the likelihood of getting an connection to a house not showing on the map, buddy of mine house is the next house on a road that has ftth there house is about 100 yards after the last house showing on the map, it's mainly older couples so they uptake would have been low, so there should be network capacity??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

eiei0 wrote: »
    Hi All what is the likelihood of getting an connection to a house not showing on the map, buddy of mine house is the next house on a road that has ftth there house is about 100 yards after the last house showing on the map, it's mainly older couples so they uptake would have been low, so there should be network capacity??

No chance at all I would say.
    Eir don't know who will or won't order so have to have the capacity for the houses that were in the roll out to connect if they decide to. The OLT in the exchange only has so many ports. They will not extend the network for one house, it would made no financial sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭dowling06

eiei0 wrote: »

I'm in the same boat where our house hasn't been marked in green. Only a few houses on the road so dont think it is an issues with connections, just with the distance from the road. Funnily an OpenEir engineer approached my Dad when they installed it but he didn't know what they were offering and said we have broadband(satellite) already :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

No chance at all I would say.
    Eir don't know who will or won't order so have to have the capacity for the houses that were in the roll out to connect if they decide to. The OLT in the exchange only has so many ports. They will not extend the network for one house, it would made no financial sense.

But reading through threads in this forum, there are cases of people stating that they are waiting for a port to come free in an exchange. Which means the network is over extended for number of ports in an exchange I would have thought? If a house is ordering a new connection, and it is right beside a FTTH enabled house, are Eir really going to install copper rather than running fibre to it!?

But reading through threads in this forum, there are cases of people stating that they are waiting for a port to come free in an exchange. Which means the network is over extended for number of ports in an exchange I would have thought? If a house is ordering a new connection, and it is right beside a FTTH enabled house, are Eir really going to install copper rather than running fibre to it!?

You are mixing and matching here. That's not how it works.

With FTTH the limitation of ports is on the DP (distribution point) outside on the poles or in the manholes. To run out of ports there is a rare incident, as there pretty much are enough port for the houses, that have been enabled. It only becomes an issue, when you try to add a new build or somebody got 2 connection to one house.

What you are referring to is ADSL or VDSL (FTTC) and that has nothing to do with this.

And yes, if a house has not been "enabled" under the 300k, then copper it is. New estates don't get copper at all. They are all done in fibre (as in FTTH now), but it takes time. Often over a year.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Thanks Marlow, that is clearer.

As far as I'm aware, the estate we are in is around a year old and has had Virgin in it from the start, but still doesn't have Eir. We were told by the builders that Eir only come in when the full estate is completed.

I assume a new rural build will be essentially "left in the dark" in terms of getting fibre then?

As far as I'm aware, the estate we are in is around a year old and has had Virgin in it from the start, but still doesn't have Eir. We were told by the builders that Eir only come in when the full estate is completed.

Not quite true. OpenEIR will start enabling the estate, when the builder submits the plans for the estate to the OpenEIR new housing unit and it is clear, where these houses are going to be. Well not right away, but the estate doesn't have to be complete.

If the builder or developer doesn't submit those plans until they are finished building the estate, then yes .. it'll take another year after that. But that's not down to a problem with OpenEIR. That's down the builder/developer not submitting proactively.
    I assume a new rural build will be essentially "left in the dark" in terms of getting fibre then?

They will have to wait for the NBP, if they are outside of the rollout. If they are inside the rollout (not being the last house or beyond the last house of the buildout) and there is capacity, then providers MAY be able to get them added in. But it is not an easy process. And it is not documented.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭limktime

What are people's experiences when it comes to KN and installation dates? FTTH was "switched on" last Wednesday. I got an install date of today. Received the router in the post yesterday but KN rang yesterday evening saying they wouldn't be able to install today and that it would probably be Thursday. Neighbours either side of me got installed yesterday, both of which ordered with Eir, I didn't.

Do Eir get first preference from OpenEir/KN?

Is there any obligation on KN to install on Thursday or within a certain time frame or can they ring tomorrow evening and postpone again?

limktime wrote: »
    What are people's experiences when it comes to KN and installation dates? FTTH was "switched on" last Wednesday. I got an install date of today. Received the router in the post yesterday but KN rang yesterday evening saying they wouldn't be able to install today and that it would probably be Thursday. Neighbours either side of me got installed yesterday, both of which ordered with Eir, I didn't.

Is there any obligation on KN to install on Thursday or within a certain time frame or can they ring tomorrow evening and postpone again?

Didn't have any issues with scheduling with Airwire. This is going back a good few months now.

KN doesn't even get told who the provider is. So no way, he can make priorities. It's not on the engineers sheet. either.

And Eir can not legally get preference. Nor do they. It'll often be the other way around, because Eir is such a mess.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

In effect they do what they want.

KN doesn't even get told who the provider is. So no way, he can make priorities. It's not on the engineers sheet. either.

And Eir can not legally get preference. Nor do they. It'll often be the other way around, because Eir is such a mess.

/M

IIRC kn who called were able to tell it wasn't an eir order.

But couldn't tell who the provider was. I believe it was something to do with the sheet or something about the router. e.g. I think an airwire sheet will have something on the docket about no router.

• Advertisement

limnam wrote: »
    IIRC kn who called were able to tell it wasn't an eir order.

But couldn't tell who the provider was. I believe it was something to do with the sheet or something about the router. e.g. I think an airwire sheet will have something on the docket about no router.

Correct.

That is, because MOST other providers are standalone orders (no phone service included) and they don't have routers for these.

Eir orders can be with phone or without and generally KN then supplies an Eir router with the order.

But that is literally the difference. And they are still not the wiser, because Eir could be either/or. Even though a standalone order on Eir would be rare.

That procedure is in place exactly so that they can't prioritise one provider over the other. It was required by the Dept of Comms and Comreg as part of OpenEIR being an ex-incumbent.

/M

Yes there is no sign that Eir get priority and if there was the other ISPs would lodge a complaint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,031 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Correct.

That is, because MOST other providers are standalone orders (no phone service included) and they don't have routers for these.

Eir orders can be with phone or without and generally KN then supplies an Eir router with the order.

Surely for FTTH Eir are not providing fibre and copper so I don't see how that could distinguish them from other providers on the sheet, as other providers also provide a phone service (VOIP) as does Eir on the FTTH connection.
    But that is literally the difference. And they are still not the wiser, because Eir could be either/or. Even though a standalone order on Eir would be rare.

That procedure is in place exactly so that they can't prioritise one provider over the other. It was required by the Dept of Comms and Comreg as part of OpenEIR being an ex-incumbent.

/M

Surely for FTTH Eir are not providing fibre and copper so I don't see how that could distinguish them from other providers on the sheet, as other providers also provide a phone service (VOIP) as does Eir on the FTTH connection.

Only based on the fact that a router is to be supplied on the order. And that is also the case for some other providers.

So if the router is supplied, they know. Otherwise they don't know. It's the only give away. The provider is not on the sheet for standalone.

/M

Also, they get paid per installation. How easy that installation is probably their main concern they don't care who the provider is.

Also, they get paid per installation. How easy that installation is probably their main concern they don't care who the provider is.

Very true that. And if the installation is not completed... no payment.

So this whole conspiracy thinking is pointless. Their planning is just overloaded and they are too busy. That is all. It is literally hell ... for all providers ... especially right now. Some just cope better.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭littlecopilot

Is it possible to get congestion on FTTH? Every evening my speeds are fluctuating from 5-20Mbps. Get around 280Mbps during the day. Have only noticed speed issues this week.

Is it possible to get congestion on FTTH? Every evening my speeds are fluctuating from 5-20Mbps. Get around 280Mbps during the day. Have only noticed speed issues this week.

Of course it's possible but the issue is probably not between your home and the exchange. It could be anywhere else along and can also depend on what servers you are checking.

Expect some internet infrastructure to be pushed to its limits at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Today marks 1 year of having FTTH for me, good times.

Any update on the 500Mb/s profile?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭fmannix10

Definitely something wrong there it shouldnt be that slow. What provider do you use? I'm with Eir and I don't think I've never ever seen it drop under 930 Mb download on speedtest but I am probably on a pritty quite exchange. I think with this version of gpon for the last mile 2.5 Gbit down in shared with 32 customers but I'm not certain.

Advertisement