Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do FG/FF stop SF at the next election?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Maria Bailey, Dara Murphy trumps yer wan in Clare hands down.

Just passing on the impartial views from a journalist.

Really???

Maria Bailey was amess. But she never actually got money and cancelled the case

Yer wan in Clare robbed a charity for years, was brought to court and still never paid. To this day hasnt paid a penny and probably wont

Not even close

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭satguy

McMurphy wrote: »
    Go on........

Who owns them?:D

Come on,,, How many phone licences and Tax write downs does one man have to get,,, before you realize who the real Boss is ??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

satguy wrote: »
    Come on,,, How many phone licences and Tax write downs does one man have to get,,, before you realize who the real Boss is ??

Is he in this photograph I wonder ?

Enda%20obrien

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Build the major infrastructure needed. M20 and Dublin metro have to start ASAP. Daft underground too. Cut income taxes. Nothing will be done with health , they’ll just continue to feed the black hole furnace. Housing obviously. What I don’t want to see , any welfare increases, cuts to the pathetic prescription charges etc. it’s decision time. Get those back inside who ffg lost or at least in fg case , continue r reward those that don’t even vote , never mind voting fg!

• Advertisement

Pretty much.

FG ran a terrible, terrible campaign but what they managed for the economy was astounding.

Lol! You mean they just didn’t don anything insanely moronic? That is quite the achievement for fg admittedly

To be fair though this isn't true.

Fianna Gael took over when Ireland had an unemployment rate of 15.4%, we had surrendered our economic sovereignty to the Troica and people were emigrating in droves. It was a very bleak time.

More recently the government has had to deal with Brexit.

By any standard Fianna Gael have dealt with these issues quiet competently.

In 2010 if you put it to the Irish population that we would be where we are in 2020, even given our current problems, you would have been met with universal approval.

And for the record I didn't vote FG!

Are you looking to rent or buy in Dublin ? Didn’t think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

What must they do over the next 5 years when they (inevitably) go into a Grand Coalition to ensure SF has peaked at 24%?

My opinion:

1) Tax cuts - Make people feel substantially better off. Compromise between the €3,000 a year on offer from FG and the €1,300 on offer from FF. Let's go with €2,000 a year. If after 5 years every higher rate taxpayer was €2k per year better off (or €4k per household), that would be a serious improvement in disposable income.

2) Affordable housing - ramp up substantially. This will be the easiest to agree in principal but the problem is how to do this.

3) Continue to paint SF as the danger they are. The SF connections with the Provos & vigilantes must be restated over and over again. I know plenty of millennials who are ignorant of SF and what they are. They don't understand the connection between SF and Garda killings. We need a public education program on the topic now that the troubles are no longer dominating the news.

If they stick to the above they have a chance. I don't think anything else will really make an impact on voters. No-one can fix the health system, unless we get rid of public sector unions. Carbon tax will only have a negative effect on their vote.

Let them in this time. That would definitely sink them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

To be fair though this isn't true.

Fianna Gael took over when Ireland had an unemployment rate of 15.4%, we had surrendered our economic sovereignty to the Troica and people were emigrating in droves. It was a very bleak time.

More recently the government has had to deal with Brexit.

By any standard Fianna Gael have dealt with these issues quiet competently.

In 2010 if you put it to the Irish population that we would be where we are in 2020, even given our current problems, you would have been met with universal approval.

And for the record I didn't vote FG!

Didn't vote FG either nor FF,SF or Greens....not much left I know.

But unless they can get s grip of the social issues SF will just garner more support and we'll have men in balaclavas running the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Keep their tax cuts and lower the cost of living by fixing housing, health and transportation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,223 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Honestly I didn’t notice. Maybe they forgot about me.

People are ignorant. What else can be said.

Check a tax calculator in 2015 versus one in 2020.

The rate of income tax has gone down, bands at which higher rate kicks in have increased a few times, threshold at which USC kicks in has increased.

Cost well over billion ut no credit for it.

People don't notice. Put the money into health and Housing instead.

Some parties have a fair few atrocities in their past, the moriarty tribunal tried to right one of the big ones, but the poor guy had his wings clipped.

I think he was forced to retire soon after..

• Registered Users Posts: 51,497 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

noodler wrote: »

The rate of income tax has gone down, bands at which higher rate kicks in have increased a few times, threshold at which USC kicks in has increased.

Oddly enough I’m about a fiver up. Hardly noticeable after so many tax decreases.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,223 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Oddly enough I’m about a fiver up. Hardly noticeable after so many tax decreases.

What's your income.

Someone on 40k is earning over a grand more purely cos of tax and USC changes.

With almost 2m workers you can see how such a thing is incredibly expensive.

A cost of 2bn if that 1,000 had applied to all those workers and you don't even notice it (obviously the 2bn is an exaggeration for the sake of simple maths for the moment since not everyone earns 40k and the different tax packages affected different brackets differently)

It's clear the amounts required for people to "notice" or even acknowledge it are unaffordable for the state in a housing or health crisis.

What's your income.

Someone on 40k is earning over a grand more purely cos of tax and USC changes.

With almost 2m workers you can see how such a thing is incredibly expensive.

A cost of 2bn if that 1,000 had applied to all those workers and you don't even notice it.

It's clear the amounts required for people to "notice" or even acknowledge it are unaffordable for the state in a housing or health crisis.

I was wondering about this today.

The irresponsible thing to do would be to lean on the Central Bank to scrap the deposit rules. Would bring back the 110% mortgages, would lead to inflation of house prices, but it would also give house buyers a greater sense of control over what they were doing. Sure, it would free people up to make bad decisions but are we in a case of choosing least bad options at the minute?

I'd also point out FG massively increased health support for kids (extended free GP care etc), absolutely no one gave a ****, and some people blamed them for making GP's too busy. Can't win.

I was wondering about this today.

The irresponsible thing to do would be to lean on the Central Bank to scrap the deposit rules. Would bring back the 110% mortgages, would lead to inflation of house prices, but it would also give house buyers a greater sense of control over what they were doing. Sure, it would free people up to make bad decisions but are we in a case of choosing least bad options at the minute?

I'd also point out FG massively increased health support for kids (extended free GP care etc), absolutely no one gave a ****, and some people blamed them for making GP's too busy. Can't win.

Yeah. There is nowhere near enough to go around to keep everyone happy. To hell with the increased welfare and other bull****, increased health support for kids etc. free go visits for loads of people and sixty euro for many of the working poor , paying for others free healthcare. This country is a banana republic

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

i think the only way to stop SF is for FG/FF to keep doing what they are doing by educating us all on the SF/IRA cult . Sure the young ones dont know. FF/FG need to keep doing that as much as possible. Then no-one will ever ever vote SF. Thats what I think they should do. Actually, ban them. feck them anyway ... if they disagree, ban them

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

maccored wrote: »
    i think the only way to stop SF is for FG/FF to keep doing what they are doing by educating us all on the SF/IRA cult . Sure the young ones dont know. FF/FG need to keep doing that as much as possible. Then no-one will ever ever vote SF. Thats what I think they should do. Actually, ban them. feck them anyway ... if they disagree, ban them

That's obviously a bad idea and I wouldnt be SFs biggest fan because I don't thing their policies add up to scrutiny. I may be wrong but they should go into government even if a minority one because until that happens then it's just a manifesto and ideas of how to fix things. Well let them try to fix things then.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    That's obviously a bad idea and I wouldnt be SFs biggest fan because I don't thing their policies add up to scrutiny. I may be wrong but they should go into government even if a minority one because until that happens then it's just a manifesto and ideas of how to fix things. Well let them try to fix things then.

i was being terribly sarcastic. Someone told me yesterday that FG had fixed the housing problem - its just we wont see the results for a year or two. God I larfed at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

satguy wrote: »
    Some parties have a fair few atrocities in their past, the moriarty tribunal tried to right one of the big ones, but the poor guy had his wings clipped.

I think he was forced to retire soon after..

The issues from the moriarty tribunal would be classed as a scandal not atrocities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

McMurphy wrote: »
    Go on........

Who owns them?:D

A be-wiggled nonce

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 154 ✭✭Jenbach110

Im early 30s, degree educated engineer, worked my back off to get my job. Would be considered middle income I suppose. People are saying the lower income people are fed up.
    Fed up of what exactly??
    Medical cards, rent allowance, college grant's for children??
    FG or FF still oversaw this country back from global recession.
    I was shocked SF could generate such a following but it does remind me of what Winston Churchill allegedly said, The best argument against Democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Don’t put anymore money into health. It’s pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Firstly, they need to STFU about SF and the IRA. We of a certain generation know what it's about, plenty of people in their 20's and early 30's neither know nor care. It actually helps SF in that they are making political capital out of it, they have their highest vote share in the younger age brackets. It's also getting tiresome at this stage.

They need to tackle housing and especially rents, they'll have to tell the developers, the funds who buy up apartments, and the Buy-to-Let crowd that they've had their day in the sun and that they'll be targeting ways of getting affordable housing onto the market and making rents affordable as well.

They'll have to look at making life more sustainable for people, commuting distances shorter by investing in public transport, make life safer, and showing us that we are getting a better return on out taxes, instead of trying to cut them at every opportunity. Stop the cronyism, nepotism, favouritism and corruption (not going to happen).

On the other hand they'll have to draw up costings to show if and how SF's brand of 'something for everyone' is not fiscally feasible. Take the pension age; Mary Lou had a throwaway remark that 'demographics' will solve that. She needs to be pulled up on that, more focus needs to be put on how their policies will be financed and FFFG should try to pick holes in them, backed up by proper calculations.

But I think SF have gained the market in the 'the grass is greener over there' crowd and they will be hard to turn. Even if housing or health is solved in 5 years (it won't be), there will be something else that they will promise the voter, (pension at 65 and low taxes for e.g.) to lure them away.

And as it stands the only way to stop them is to give them as seat at the table and let them in as junior partner; let the electorate see if they are actually free to govern. But even if this happens (unlikely), I feel that SF will only blame others for the mess.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

Two things are certain.
    If FFFG manage to cobble together a government in the coming weeks, it’s going to piss off even more people.
    And If they carry on as before with nothing getting done and ongoing stories of overspending on the hospital and NBR electorate is going to get even more pissed off.

I can’t think of anything positive or anything at all FFFG have achieved in the last five years.

Happy to be enlightened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Runaways wrote: »
    Two things are certain.
    If FFFG manage to cobble together a government in the coming weeks, it’s going to piss off even more people.
    And If they carry on as before with nothing getting done and ongoing stories of overspending on the hospital and NBR electorate is going to get even more pissed off.

I can’t think of anything positive or anything at all FFFG have achieved in the last five years.

Happy to be enlightened.

Just let SF form a government (if they can) and let them have a crack at the job and when people don’t get their free gaffs and the magic beanstalk beans they were promised then maybe the penny will drop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

Just let SF form a government (if they can) and let them have a crack at the job and when people don’t get their free gaffs and the magic beanstalk beans they were promised then maybe the penny will drop.

I’m Not sure they ever said anything about free houses? They said they’d build houses.
    That attitude is interesting though and seems prevelant here.
    Lotta people seem scared SF might actually go some way to delivering on their claims whereas they’re happy or would prefer to let FFFG continue to do absolutely nothing to remedy the crises they’ve overseen and ignored the last decade

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Build the major infrastructure needed. M20 and Dublin metro have to start ASAP. Daft underground too. Cut income taxes. Nothing will be done with health , they’ll just continue to feed the black hole furnace. Housing obviously. What I don’t want to see , any welfare increases, cuts to the pathetic prescription charges etc. it’s decision time. Get those back inside who ffg lost or at least in fg case , continue r reward those that don’t even vote , never mind voting fg!

How would you fund all of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Bottom line is we want SF to be a normal political party. Even though our so called normal parties crashed the nation 2008.
    We need to educate ourselves about what SF have already done in the north to deal with this. It's totally naive to say they have not done a lot.
    Simply drawing a line around SF and saying we won't touch them won't do. Next election they will come back stronger and in position to ignore any terms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

FF flipflopping on the rent freeze now and considering it and less than a month ago they were stating that they had received legal advice that it was unconstitutional to do so.

Advertisement