Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do FG/FF stop SF at the next election?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

Fann Linn wrote: »
    FF flipflopping on the rent freeze now and considering it and less than a month ago they were stating that they had received legal advice that it was unconstitutional to do so.

I think if they propose a rent freeze it will come with a separate measure for landlords such a some form of tax break over the period.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭satguy

There is a huge 2 billion euro state contract coming up,, the national broadband plan will require someone to lay miles and miles of fiber.

Now we see why Leo is being pushed into talking with FF,, when all he really wants to do is sit in opposition for a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,263 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Yeah keep banging on about the Ra. That worked brilliantly before the last election :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

satguy wrote: »
    There is a huge 2 billion euro state contract coming up,, the national broadband plan will require someone to lay miles and miles of fiber.

Now we see why Leo is being pushed into talking with FF,, when all he really wants to do is sit in opposition for a few years.

It’s astonishing that people here rail about some mystery army council pulling SF strings when openly and obviously and as a matter of record DOB dictates to FG and gets away with it time and again.

Are the Fine Gael spinbots here unaware of that or just determined to ignore it hoping we don’t notice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Runaways wrote: »
    It’s astonishing that people here rail about some mystery army council pulling SF strings when openly and obviously and as a matter of record DOB dictates to FG and gets away with it time and again.

Are the Fine Gael spinbots here unaware of that or just determined to ignore it hoping we don’t notice?

How many people has DOB murdered?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

I’m Not sure they ever said anything about free houses? They said they’d build houses.
    That attitude is interesting though and seems prevelant here.
    Lotta people seem scared SF might actually go some way to delivering on their claims whereas they’re happy or would prefer to let FFFG continue to do absolutely nothing to remedy the crises they’ve overseen and ignored the last decade

Build houses, who would have thought it was that easy? Why did nobody think of that?

Btw, what happened all out ghost estates all over the country. Have many of these been completed or what’s the story with them?

Probably the same amount as SF.

Stupid equivalence but if it works for you have at it.

Build houses, who would have thought it was that easy? Why did nobody think of that?

Btw, what happened all out ghost estates all over the country. Have many of these been completed or what’s the story with them?

They’ve been sold off I thought? Who was it again? NIMBY? NAMA? One of them

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Probably the same amount as SF.

Stupid equivalence but if it works for you have at it.
    So why drag the conversation down to that level of stupidity?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/more-than-90-of-ghost-estates-completed-1.3417381

• Advertisement

Bowie wrote: »
    All any party in government need do to stay in, a good job.
    Put the country ahead of self interest and cronyism and sweet deals. Look after the majority, the low to middle income tax payer. Put social concerns ahead of private profit.
    In short, rebuild FF/FG.

1) Tax: Quality and value for money. I'll merrily pay taxes for quality and value.

2) Affordable housing and build social housing. Police it well, take rent from source.

3) Put the country ahead of pathetic slurs. Be gracious in defeat. Over haul the HSE. Admitting defeat before you start, 'it can't be fixed', if that's the attitude you've no business in government.
    There are two elements already at work on heath, HSE reforms and Slaintecare. Reid intends to have a plan for approval by September and implemented by next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

That's not the point really.
    If a bit of cronyism is OK with you to ignore bang away.
    Our health and housing crisis has cause untold hardships and probably caused multiple deaths.
    FG and Co haven't done enough to inspire confidence in their ability to manage either.
    It's their fault that people have turned against and voted against them.
    The DOBs and the like aren't affected by any of this, the ordinary tax paying voters are, that's why there is a rise in SF support, not because everyone has suddenly turned republican or murderous

Build public housing as a matter of urgency in a way we haven't seen in decades. Lower some energy efficient standards while we're at it.

Tackle the insurance industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Don’t put anymore money into health. It’s pointless.

Make it single payer. Then see how much if anything is needed

I remember when FG felt they were at the height of their power, and untouchable.

They gave their Boss the state contract for fuel. Every Garda car, fire engine, ambulance, ministers mercedes-benz, had to call into one of his garages to refuel.

How would you fund all of this?

EIB. Divert from roads. 1 billion of road building announced in the weeks before the election and the 'fiscally' minded didn't say anything about it. Not sending it to Europe in the form of fines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Build public housing as a matter of urgency in a way we haven't seen in decades. Lower some energy efficient standards while we're at it.

Lower efficiency?

Then pay billion in fines for CO2????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Fann Linn wrote: »
    FF flipflopping on the rent freeze now and considering it and less than a month ago they were stating that they had received legal advice that it was unconstitutional to do so.
    That's because the Greens pushed them for this during the recent negotiations on policies.
    Same auld Fianna Fail. They just cannot be trusted.

The deserved to be consigned to the annals of history.

Lowering standards is a very slippery slope. It's like suggesting returning to bed sit. Often the people who need social housing will also struggle with their heating bills. Your suggesting making them higher forever or at least until we do a cost retrofit

• Registered Users Posts: 28,934 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Kivaro wrote:
    The deserved to be consigned to the annals of history.

FFG will more than likely be around for a long time yet, and playing a significant role in governance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67,121 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

How to stop them?

Maybe stop pretending that excluding them is anything other than excluding them from power...the power they have grown used to swapping between each other.
    Take the moral high ground gloves off and fight fair?
    'This is our country, we own it and you are not getting a go.'

Would be more honest, because I think at this stage, everyone knows, even those looking in:
    Hysteria over Sinn Féin entering government is about power, not the past

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/feb/25/sinn-fein-party-two-party-system

is_that_so wrote: »
    So why drag the conversation down to that level of stupidity?

I answered a stupid question I shouldnt have. You’re right.

Lowering standards is a very slippery slope. It's like suggesting returning to bed sit. Often the people who need social housing will also struggle with their heating bills. Your suggesting making them higher forever or at least until we do a cost retrofit

I think we need roofs and walls. The cost of building has to be lowered. One of the most expensive parts is the A2 energy certification.

It's a luxury we can't afford when we have people dying on the streets and multi generations living under one roof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

I think we need roofs and walls. The cost of building has to be lowered. One of the most expensive parts is the A2 energy certification.

It's a luxury we can't afford when we have people dying on the streets and multi generations living under one roof.
    Complete lack of honesty in that post.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,121 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

How to stop them?

Alternatively, the law and order party could live up to it's name.

Am I the only one shocked that the Taoiseach of this country is tolerating an illegal organisation to operate in this country with impunity?

He believes that the IRA still exists and that it's leader (Mary Lou) has the power to disband them.

The Special Criminal Court has the power to charge and find guilty on the word of a senior Garda. And our most senior Garda says there is intelligence to support the view that the Army Council is still operating.

Arrest them and put them in jail...i.e. Do your job.

Problem solved.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Returning to bedsits wouldn't be a bad idea imo - not when you have people looking for €800 a month for a bed in a kitchen https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/a-single-bed-in-a-kitchen-in-stoneybatter-is-being-advertised-for-800month-36851308.html

Outlawing bedsits was a stupid idea. They were affordable accomodation for many people - back in my youth I lived in one until I could afford better.
    There is is simply nothing available to replace them.

If Leo keeps on about this invisable army council that he says runs SF.

We can keep on about their very visable Boss, I for one remember when they told him if he spent 183 days in Portugal, they would let his off with 63 million that he owed in tax.

See Here

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/denis-o-brien-saves-63m-in-tax-stratagem-1.343993

If the head of the garda and the head of RTE are in your debt, call in that debt and ask for help with bad mouthing SF.

So here it is.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/0226/1117780-policing-authority-commissioner/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Stop talking about the IRA.

Make sure SF stay in power long enough to be blamed for the health services/ people on trollies and the housing crisis, although I do thing SF could get lucky with housing as it turning a corner at the moment.

A few major gaffs by their TD's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,119 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

The solution to reduce building costs is not to reduce standards.

Instead:

(1) reduce the cost of land

(2) reduce the cost of finance - property developers pay 5-6% on senior debt, and much more on mezzanine debt

(3) reduce risk, and so reduce developer's margins

Advertisement