Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Any of you guys ever try out one of these Chinese PS2 wireless controllers?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wireless-Playstation-2-Controller-Wireless-PS2-Controller-for-Sony-PS2/202618947147?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Decided to try one out as a matter of interest as I've been meaning to pick up a PS2 wireless pad for ages.

It's actually not bad!

Runs on two AAA batteries which is a tad annoying (however I wouldn't really have put much stock in a rechargeable cheap Chinese battery so it's probably actually for the best)

The finish on the shell leaves a lot to be desired. As well as the plastic used on the receiver. The seam/join on one side of it would nearly cut your hand it's so rough at the edge.

However...

You then hook it up and the wireless connectivity instantly connects and works flawlessly. The buttons and analog sticks respond far better than expected. D pad is a bit stiff, but It's closer to feeling authentic than like a cheap chinese D pad.

It's actually really usable and I'm fairly picky when it comes to controllers.

Might be worth taking the PCB out and mounting it inside a real pad. You'd need to cut a hole out of the back of it though for the batteries.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

My controller horde is almost at the point that it competes with my game horde.
    Mountains of the things,
    from the ridiculous
    s-l400.jpg

to the sublime
    post-16281-0-45916400-1399716602.jpg

And everything inbetween!
    Namco_Arcade_Stick_%281996%29.JPG

Master of the Universe

Got a chance to try out the Ikagami, god it's beautiful! 500 lines of shadow mask glory. Really does give a different image to the other two Trinitrons. I've shadow mask tubes in the two cabs but no smaller ones after selling my 1084s. Great to have one again.

IMG-20191024-191211567.jpg

Now the problem I am trying to resolve, she's bloody huge!

Width is 10cm wider than the 14 inch PVM due to the controls being on the side. Even crazier, she's almost has the same depth as the 20 inch BVM!

IMG-20191024-191201740.jpg

Thought about maybe putting it on it's side on the floor and putting the big BVM across the top of it but it just doesn't work and I'm going from 'cool setup man!' to 'how long have you been an incel?'

IMG-20191024-190114813.jpg

Bit of a tough decision now. What I might do is put the small 14 inch PVM in storage for the moment and keep the Ikagami down in it's place as it offers such a different image to the trinitron beside it.

Either way, absolutely chuffed with it, cheers again Ollie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Good shout on the controllers.

Trying to get all my consoles wireless over the next while. GameCube, mega drive & all modern consoles sorted out. Just PS2 left to get really

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Or, O1s1n, you could sell it on... to a worthy and display thirsty mod... could be anyone really....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Yeah you have too many ! Pass it on

You need a custom unit made for those

Master of the Universe

The vultures! they circle!
    eddhorse wrote: »

You need a custom unit made for those

Yeah I've actually been on the lookout now for an age for something suitable but have yet to settle on a unit.

Want something that will take the weight of two CRTs on top with shelves underneath for about 10 consoles.

Don't want to go down the Ikea route but so far it seems to be the only way to get 50kg load bearing while not looking like dated furniture from the last millennium.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Or, O1s1n, you could sell it on... to a worthy and display thirsty mod... could be anyone really....

Do it O1s1n.

I mean it makes sense.

Sell it on at a decent price then if you change your mind about it sure it will be on sale within a month when ciderman does his usual about face when he realizes he has no need/room for it and you can buy it back for a tidy profit.

I mean it's a foolproof plan.

o1s1n wrote: »
    The vultures! they circle!

Yeah I've actually been on the lookout now for an age for something suitable but have yet to settle on a unit.

Want something that will take the weight of two CRTs on top with shelves underneath for about 10 consoles.

Don't want to go down the Ikea route but so far it seems to be the only way to get 50kg load bearing while not looking like dated furniture from the last millennium.

Actually going to build a table for my 2 Sony TV's, they must have a combined weight of 70-80kg. Keep you updated with what I come up with

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Cannot see vid there Jack

A few more arrivals in time for the long weekend...

nfXoGK9.jpg

KOF95... I first got this on my Saturn back in the day with the memory expansion cart. It was a great version of the game, I played it to death. The Saturn pad was near perfection for pulling off all the moves and combos. 95 has a great soundtrack & lovely balance. Never got the chance to play the arcade version.

Flip Shot... I don't know this one at all, a poor mans Windjammers perhaps?

Blazing Star... I might have loaded it up in Mame one or twice but I'm not familiar with it. I'm lead to believe it is superb

Fixed

Flip shot is actually a pretty decent alternative, its sequel bang bead is even better, pretty expensive now though.. blazing star is amazing and gets lots of credit and rightfully so but after putting a good few hours into it the announcer drives me crazy so i turn it down 'bonus' 'bonus' 'bonus' you'll be hearing in your sleep :eek:

A few more arrivals in time for the long weekend..

nfXoGK9.jpg

KOF95... I first got this on my Saturn back in the day with the memory expansion cart. It was a great version of the game, I played it to death. The Saturn pad was near perfection for pulling off all the moves and combos. 95 has a great soundtrack & lovely balance. Never got the chance to play the arcade version.

Flip Shot... I don't know this one at all, a poor mans Windjammers perhaps?

Blazing Star... I might have loaded it up in Mame one or twice but I'm not familiar with it. I'm lead to believe it is superb

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Do it O1s1n.

I mean it makes sense.

Sell it on at a decent price then if you change your mind about it sure it will be on sale within a month when ciderman does his usual about face when he realizes he has no need/room for it and you can buy it back for a tidy profit.

I mean it's a foolproof plan.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Love Blazing Star. Played a good bit of it in my cab over the years. Difficulty is reasonable from memory.

As mozie said. It's obnoxiously buy joyously loud. Exactly what you'd want from an arcade game!

Master of the Universe

but after putting a good few hours into it the announcer drives me crazy so i turn it down 'bonus' 'bonus' 'bonus' you'll be hearing in your sleep :eek:

It gets hilarious once your brain starts to hear her saying BONER! BONER! :pac:

o1s1n wrote: »
    It gets hilarious once your brain starts to hear her saying BONER! BONER! :pac:

Maybe he's watching you in your night gown 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

Picked up this beauty from ebay UK recently, really getting into cassette tapes and VHS at the moment.
    A Panasonic NV-HS870 high end S-VHS VCR.

493845.jpg

S-video in works fine on it but I haven't tested it with tapes yet.

A really nice seller on adverts i bought tapes from recently is a bit of a VHS expert and advised to:

Leave it powered on for 2 days before putting in a tape, back in the old days they were always left on.
    This is due to them having heaters inside to regulate the temperature.
    After 2 days have passed put in the tape but don't play it yet.
    Fast forward it all the way to the end of the tape, and then let it rewind all the way back to the start.

This gets the tension of the tape right.

Can't wait to try it out tomorrow.
    Also have a pansonic DVD-recorder not pictured.

I'm like feckin MarkoRepairs now with my VCR collection! :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Collecting VHS tapes the last while myself too, most of them get cleaned, FF and RWound, then boxed up and stored until a later date, but ive a shelf of my favourites in the attic room. mostly old cartoons and films from the 80s!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,867 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Why? Its a godawful format and not even old enough for the retro buzz, it has no redeeming features at all.

I was waiting for a bus in Kilcolgan in Galway the other day and the post office/shop was still selling blank VHS tapes.

Thargor wrote: »
    Why? Its a godawful format and not even old enough for the retro buzz, it has no redeeming features at all.

I was waiting for a bus in Kilcolgan in Galway the other day and the post office/shop was still selling blank VHS tapes.

Haha I don't know if that was sarcasm or not but it's certainly retro. Even the PS3 well be considered retro next year when the PS5 relesses.

Manually turn the tracking where it shouldn't be on and old player and and you'll get the fuzz.
    This synth player perfected it:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Jexus

That VCR only cost me £40 including UPS to parcel wizard by the way. I've seen some try to sell them for £200 with 1 year warranty.

You just have to look out for bargains

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Got me an early issue 1 Sinclair ZX Spectrum (16k), just look at the light grey keys and those hand-drawn traces...dirty ;)
    The ZX was the first computer I ever used and wanted to have one which is also a piece of history.
    493861.jpg493863.jpg
    I've ordered up the components+PCB for a 32k daughterboard so that will make it more usable, but I've to contend with RF unless I want to mod it (prob a bad idea with this model) or get an expansion card with a video out option.

I have an Issue 2 48k (caps/keyboard membrane replaced + composite mod), which I can throw up in the marketplace soon if anyone is interested

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Literally saved these from the dump. ( as in I was dropping off stuff at a recycling site and they were in the skip).
    C64 tape drive , 2 games ( horace and superblitz) and a gransstand pong machine).
    I have a horrible suspicion there was a c64 buried in there as well but couldn't see it , so possibly it was pulled out already.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Dr Bob wrote: »
    Literally saved these from the dump. ( as in I was dropping off stuff at a recycling site and they were in the skip).
    C64 tape drive , 2 games ( horace and superblitz) and a gransstand pong machine).
    I have a horrible suspicion there was a c64 buried in there as well but couldn't see it , so possibly it was pulled out already.)

Wonder what are the best days to hover around the CRT/electronics recycling areas of those council centers? Could yea give the auld lad a few photos/quid to keep an eye out for PVMs and the like? :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Bugger - didnt realise my first post went through! - here's the pic of them .

493896.jpg
    Literally saved these from a skip (I was at the local recyling centre , and saw them in the electrical skip) ....which is great as you dont normally see anything older than a ps2 there ..
    Its worth keeping an eye out ...LOADS of CRT TVs there ..once got a trinitron portable there there worked perfectly for years!
    Back when I was helping out with the Kick off 2 World cup a few years back , the lad organising it got about 20 portable/medium CRT Tvs from a dump in cork , stuck plugs on them and haled them to Dublin(had a working rate of about 85% all told).Got a few retro items (NES clones , spare PSP parts , PS cards , and on one occasion a perfect new style xbox 360 +controllers etc )from dumps before.
    some of the recycling places are happy enough with you grabbing things , others arent , so its worth being careful.
    The lads working there have their own private pick through of everything that comes in , (wether it ends up on adverts etc or just their own use I dont know?)
    so you could probably offer them a couple of quid to keep an eye out alright ;)

I have seen interesting things in those bins, pulled an entire Macintosh once.

One of my greatest shames is what I put into one a long time ago...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Lots of interesting things being posted lately, so I'm not going to bother taking a picture, I also got it a few weeks ago :P

Over Drivin' GT-R on the Saturn. The Need for Speed doesn't seem to be too common, had my eye on a few copies but didn't get them in the end. Then I learned a out the Japanese Nissan GT-R version of the game which I picked up.

Fairly simple racing game, graphics are pretty decent. Still want to pick up The Need for Speed at some point :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement