Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

beejee wrote: »
    The lynx! I remember an old newsagents near me had one at the time. It was set up like an arcade machine, cost 10p 20p for a few minutes playtime

Mame of shame that way
    >

* actually no that sounds pretty cool

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

Ah, I don't mean it was in an actual cabinet. It was more like a display pod kinda thing?? Fuzzy memory, but it didn't look totally naff, maybe it was official?? But very sceptical it was!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    A new addition to the G&W collection arrived the other day.
    Donkey Kong II, multi-screen piece of loveliness.
    Only €30 with postage too, barely a mark on it, so it was well looked after.
    I'm still going to find an elusive, cheap Parachute, Fire and Octopus some day...

Remember banba/toymaster on henry street in Dublin used to have all of them. Was somewhere near arnotts, before it moved up to the street corner. Had them all in display cases, cool stuff :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

beejee wrote: »
    Remember banba/toymaster on henry street in Dublin used to have all of them. Was somewhere near arnotts, before it moved up to the street corner. Had them all in display cases, cool stuff :)

Like a lot of stuff we post about here, if we only had a time machine and cash we'd be sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

How much did it cost you delievered? Been tempted by the Super NT but the delivery charge and import tax have put me off.

It was about 30 quid delivery and then 51 euro for import tax.

Wasnt cheap. I got lucky with a double wage that's how I decided to buy it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Got this yesterday
    Super Mario Land 2 Dx.
    A full colour hack of the original.

Got this yesterday
    Super Mario Land 2 Dx.
    A full colour hack of the original.

Always tell my mate who is a big mario fan (and hasnt played Land 2 yet) that its the best game he has never played. Amazing game, love the soundtrack

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,864 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

My first Gameboy game <3

The hack also addresses latency issues, with the controls, and the option to play as Luigi.

More dodgy stuff arrived this morning
    A pair of Sonic hacks for the Megadrive,
    Sonic 2 Retro Remix
    The S Factor: Sonia and Silver
    They are supposed to be pretty great.

• Advertisement

Yet more dodgy gear touches down, this time it's Sonic Winter Adventures.

Now, I hear what you're all thinking,
    "Ciderman, why would a handsome devil like you feel the need for filthy repro carts when you can simply put them on your Everdrive?"
    Well, I don't know... Just feels nicer having a cart sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Got me a very dirty Sony Playstation 1 - DTL-H1202 - Debug Console.
    Will need a good clean, it has a good few scuffs but meh :) Always wanted one. It seems to be the last rev. of debug PS1 consoles, there is a suggestion that there might have been a PSOne debug unit also but there isn't a lot of info online
    491513.jpg

Is that a Yaroze or something different?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Is that a Yaroze or something different?

Yaroze is black and for the homebrew scene, the teal ones are commercial debug units (like the PS2 consoles with TEST written on them)

o1s1n wrote: »
    Yaroze is black and for the homebrew scene, the teal ones are commercial debug units (like the PS2 consoles with TEST written on them)

I remember the Playstation magazine had a cover disc with Yaroze games on it, played some of them to death, quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

I remember the Playstation magazine had a cover disc with Yaroze games on it, played some of them to death, quality.

I remember playing a Yaroze soccer game from one of those discs.
    Curling in a shot was very satisfying.

o1s1n wrote: »
    The Wikipedia page gives more info, there was blue and green debug units. Blue ones had earlier silicon and the green ones the later revisions.
    I believe it wasn't just developers who had them, I think I remember hearing large buyers like the old GamesWorlds type stores and game magazines would also have them to play previews from time to time

Damn, that thing is beautiful

One of the owners of Gamesworld used to have a lovely blue PS sitting on the floor of his office... just sitting there... calling my name...
    Damn, I sometimes wonder, on rainy mornings like this one, where it ever went... and does it miss me as I miss it.

sugarman wrote: »
    Ive always wondered, are those units spray painted or is it the actual colour of the plastics? I've seen a few abused units go relatively cheap that could clean up nicely if its the plastics.

EDIT: Found my own answer, its the plastic! ...Interesting. Perhaps a good buff would clean them right up.

Cleaned up the console last night, the right amount of rubbing alcohol and the slight scuffs are reduced and it looks a hell of a lot better. Might need to get a drive unit, anyone bought one recently?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

One of the owners of Gamesworld used to have a lovely blue PS sitting on the floor of his office... just sitting there... calling my name...
    Damn, I sometimes wonder, on rainy mornings like this one, where it ever went... and does it miss me as I miss it.
    Would you have sold it and bought another one though? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,501 ✭✭✭Inviere

Just feels nicer having a cart sometimes

Many Bothans legit carts died to bring you those repros....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Got a few cheap sports titles, apparently these are rated the best in their respective series. Looking forward to playing them.

I also picked up Bully on 360. I had it when it came out but lent it to a friend and never got it back. When I was working in Cex it was always €35 when most titles were €10 or less and I forgot about it. Got it cheap enough on eBay :)

jEzMkY0.jpg

Would you have sold it and bought another one though? :pac:

I never had the chance to own it! :(

Inviere wrote: »
    Many Bothans legit carts died to bring you those repros....

The carts are knockoffs so no genuine copies of FIFA were sacrificed to bring me Sonic hacks.
    They are very good games though!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,501 ✭✭✭Inviere

The carts are knockoffs so no genuine copies of FIFA were sacrificed to bring me Sonic hacks.
    They are very good games though!

Oh didn't know they were full reproduction pcb's too, nice :)

The Winter Adventures is very impressive indeed.

sugarman wrote: »
    I was thinking more along the lines of T-Cut and a heavy buff to take a layer off on a very bad unit :pac: Your one didnt look too bad at all though.

If youre after a new drive, I'd look for a used console thats in great nick and just swap it out. Theres no telling how may miles a drive being sold on its own has seen and the repro drives sold on the likes of Aliexpress are complete junk.

A good clean of the drive mech with new lithium grease applied goes a long way.

I did look at the AliExpress ones for a second and then I started to look for a PSOne, looks like I could do a swap maybe. I have a can of that grease so might put it to use.

T-Cut might destroy the finish, not really meant to be super smooth.

After my cleaning efforts before and after

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

When I got my Mega Drive I remember seeing someone on YT saying you should rub a bit of 50/50 into it bring the plastics back to original look. Had a go and it did end up looking like new again. Not sure if you'd want to do that to a machine wasn't black and smooth plastic though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Postman brought not one, but two surprises for me on Friday; Mega Bomberman for the megadrive (courtesy of corcaigh07) and a Megadrive mini. Followed on Saturday by an off-chance visit to CEX whilst doing the weekly grocery run and spotted Road Rash 2 and Cpt. America & the Avengers in near pristine condition so helped myself to those as well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement