Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gemma not taking enforced retirement too well

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Kimsang wrote: »
    Markus Meechan was convicted under hate laws in Scotland for making a joke. He was in fact making a joke at the expense of nazis, but he was told by the court that context doesn't matter.

Chelsea Russell was arrested for paying tribute to her dead friend by posting rap lyrics on a facebook page.

What good does hate crime legislation do? It makes people feel better.
    You're concerned and worried about Meechan??? That says it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

Omackeral wrote: »
    We have scumbags getting off with suspended sentences for far more serious crimes than saying offensive words or adding insult to injury. I'd much rather that was dealt with to be honest.

I wasn’t advocating an offensive word being a crime in its own right, not sure where the reasoning for your response came from.

I also don’t see why wanting serious crimes not to get suspended sentences has to be mutually exclusive with crimes being motivated by hate (in a defined manner) being recognized as such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

bobmalooka wrote: »
    I wasn’t advocating an offensive word being a crime in its own right, not sure where the reasoning for your response came from.

I also don’t see why wanting serious crimes not to get suspended sentences has to be mutually exclusive with crimes being motivated by hate (in a defined manner) being recognized as such.

I've said it before and will stand by it that nearly all crimes are motivated by a certain degree of hate

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Because I support justice being served. As a white person if I become a victim of crime I would like to see the perpetrator brought to justice. I would not like to see a situation where an <insert minority here> who gets attacked perpetrator gets a harsher sentence becuase of their race.

You're a self-confessed racist. Of course you don't want fellow racists to get harsher sentences.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭jackboy

When someone attacks someone because of their nationality, sexuality, race or religion - it's a hate crime.

When someone daubs swastikas or other graffiti on a place of worship - it's a hate crime.

When someone urges violence against people or places because of their nationality, sexuality, race or religion or there are asylum seekers living there - it's a hate crime.

When someone burns down a direct provision centre - it's a hate crime.

It's not hard.

It’s not hard now because they are all crimes that can be dealt with. With hate crime a judge has to try to determine the thoughts of the accused on top of the actions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

I've said it before and will stand by it that nearly all crimes are motivated by a certain degree of hate

Good man - see the protected categories under the equal stays act as a rough guide to the sort of categories recognised as at risk of discrimination

• Registered Users Posts: 81,940 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

recedite wrote: »
    Blood and soil.
    These are the two main ways people get their citizenship.
    Jus soli and Jus sanguinis.
    Its correct that we cut back on jus soli (birthright or "law of the soil" citizenship) because it was being abused. That was done in a democratic referendum of the Irish people.

That leaves Jus Sanguinis (right of blood) as the main one.

We also have citizenship by naturalisation, when foreign people have been living here legally for 5 or more years.

Oh then kiss me I’m Irish after all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Overheal wrote: »
    Oh then kiss me I’m Irish after all
    Only if you're (a) female and (b) hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

cookie1977 wrote: »

In 2018 Meechan joined UKIP and we're supposed to pretend the Nazi salute was a joke? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

do you think its acceptable that a man ended up in front of a judge for teaching a dog to do a hitler salute for humour. It is not a sane or just world where that commands a court appearance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,586 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Omackeral wrote: »
    Who decides what constitutes a hate-crime? Is it black and white, excuse the pun, or is it on a sliding spectrum. Would jurors, if required, by asked to judge for themselves? Would there have to be people of various colours, belief systems and ability on duty?
    Same as any other crime, which works fine in many other jurisdictions.

The Gardai/police investigate and prepare a file, the DPP or equivalent decides if the matter should go to Court, the Judge or the jury (depending on the seriousness) decide if the accused is guilty.

It works fine in many other countries.

do you think its acceptable that a man ended up in front of a judge for teaching a dog to do a hitler salute for humour. It is not a sane or just world where that commands a court appearance.

He didn't end up in front of a judge for teaching the dog a salute, he ended up in court because he put it on YouTube but continue on with your bs if you like.

What about him joining UKIP? That doesn't show a bias in anyway no?

We're back on Stephen's favourite topic now...motive.
    Fawlty towers hitler salute - humourous
    Comedian who trains dog to do hitler salute and joins party which has an active nazi as an advisor - not humourous

We're back on Stephen's favourite topic now...motive.
    Fawlty towers hitler salute - humourous
    Comedian who trains dog to do hitler salute and joins party which has an active nazi as an advisor - not humourous

the court case was long before ukip , and who is the active nazi advisor ?

pinkyeye wrote: »
    He didn't end up in front of a judge for teaching the dog a salute, he ended up in court because he put it on YouTube but continue on with your bs if you like.

What about him joining UKIP? That doesn't show a bias in anyway no?

explain to me how UKIP as a political party and their policies in any way resemble The NSDAP (Nazi) party ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,033 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Because I support justice being served. As a white person if I become a victim of crime I would like to see the perpetrator brought to justice. I would not like to see a situation where an <insert minority here> who gets attacked perpetrator gets a harsher sentence becuase of their race.

Out of curiosity - do you think all "black" folk are equivalent and equal to the "white" folk?

the court case was long before ukip , and who is the active nazi advisor ?
    There's so many I never know where to start:

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/2313229/tommy-robinson-becomes-ukip-advisor
    http://home.bt.com/news/uk-news/ukip-mep-in-hitler-advice-row-11363925881904

The Gardai/police investigate and prepare a file, the DPP or equivalent decides if the matter should go to Court, the Judge or the jury (depending on the seriousness) decide if the accused is guilty.

It works fine in many other countries.

Can you give examples of hate crime laws work well in order jurisdictions? Look at the UK where the hate crime laws clearly do not work as the police seem more interested in policing offensive tweets despite the fact the UK is in the midst of a murder epidemic.

People are wondering how can it be proven that a crime is a hate crime. Is it really worthwhile wasting Garda time and/or the time of the DPP and courts investigating whether hate crime when they should be taking care of other crime.

a man who 'emulates hitlers speaking style' according to somebody at bt, not exactly a hard hitting news source,

and tommy robinson is just an islamaphobic idiot, they invited him to make one submission about muslim rape gangs. He wasn't even a member and not a nazi even by his own affiliations.

also going by the news sources youre digging up, you clearly just googled 'ukip nazi' and are posting whatever links stick. I don't believe for one second that the digitalspy forums and bt news are regular reads for yourself.

Odhinn wrote: »
    Out of curiosity - do you think all "black" folk are equivalent and equal to the "white" folk?

Yes

• Advertisement

a man who 'emulates hitlers speaking style' according to somebody at bt, not exactly a hard hitting news source,

and tommy robinson is just an islamaphobic idiot, they invited him to make one submission about muslim rape gangs. He wasn't even a member and not a nazi even by his own affiliations.

also going by the news sources youre digging up, you clearly just googled 'ukip nazi' and are posting whatever links stick. I don't believe for one second that the digitalspy forums and bt news are regular reads for yourself.
    As I said I never know where to start:
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ukip-nazi-nigel-farage-proudly-4761109
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2630582/Ukip-engulfed-fresh-extremism-storm-one-candidate-pictured-showing-Nazi-themed-tattoos-suggests-shooting-poofters.html

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/sep/11/leadership-hopeful-warns-wrong-leader-could-turn-ukip-into-uks-nazi-party-henry-bolton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Kimsang

This is what the judge said at his sentencing:
    “On the whole evidence, including your own, applying the law as made by Parliament and interpreted by the most senior courts in this land, I found it proved that the video you posted, using a public communications network, was grossly offensive and contained menacing, anti-Semitic and racist material"

What other material should be censored? Monty Python, The Producers, anything George Carlin.. etc.. this skit by Jonathan Pie..

"It was a joke you *****" - Jonathan Pie
    "We're not allowed to make fun of Nazis, in case it gets misinterpreted" -Jonathan Pie

And I was accused of whataboutery now your bringing up Tommy Robinson

• Registered Users Posts: 40,982 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

You don't know exactly what the trauma is for a person who is a victim of crime. A member of a minority group who is a victim of a prejudice motivated crime could be a stronger person who is less traumatised than an Irish person who is a victim of a non prejudice motivated crime.

We do know that though. There is a lot of evidence out there and it is widely accepted that hate crime is likely to have a more significant impact on its victims than non-hate motivated offences. We also know that many states and the EU specifically legally recognise hate crime because of the impact of hate crime generally on individuals, groups and society generally. It is not as if the idea of hate crime has been plucked out of nowhere for simply no reason.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

explain to me how UKIP as a political party and their policies in any way resemble The NSDAP (Nazi) party ?

Ah stop would ya. :D:D:D:D

We do know that though. There is a lot of evidence out there and it is widely accepted that hate crime is likely to have a more significant impact on its victims than non-hate motivated offences. We also know that many states and the EU specifically legally recognise hate crime because of the impact of hate crime generally on individuals, groups and society generally. It is not as if the idea of hate crime has been plucked out of nowhere for simply no reason.

Well perhaps the impact on the victim can be taken into account on an individual case by case basis which is then taken into account when it comes to sentencing. If it is the case that a prejudice motivated crime or whatever you like to call it has a greater impact on the victim then that should be met with a greater sentence for the perpetrator so effectively that achieves the same result as your proposed hate crime laws.

Well perhaps the impact on the victim can be taken into account on an individual case by case basis which is then taken into account when it comes to sentencing. If it is the case that a prejudice motivated crime or whatever you like to call it has a greater impact on the victim then that should be met with a greater sentence for the perpetrator so effectivelynthat achieves the same result as your proposed hate crime laws.

So why do you have a problem with hate crime laws then?

pinkyeye wrote: »
    Ah stop would ya. :D:D:D:D

its a valid question, you made the claim, go on. using written policy information, show me the comparible manifesto's between ukip and the nazi party

• Registered Users Posts: 40,982 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Well perhaps the impact on the victim can be taken into account on an individual case by case basis which is then taken into account when it comes to sentencing. If it is the case that a prejudice motivated crime or whatever you like to call it has a greater impact on the victim then that should be met with a greater sentence for the perpetrator so effectivelynthat achieves the same result as your proposed hate crime laws.

Why? Why do you refuse to acknowledge that there is wider impact not just on individuals. Its kind of almost like you feel that your whiteness shouldnt be seen as inferior. Its almost as well like you refuse to acknowledge that hate crimes exist and refuse to acknowledge their impact. Why is that?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

That's grand. For me though, (and I work within our justice system, FWIW), I feel there are many more urgent issues that need addressing before anything of this nature is considered or necessary.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement