Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All-Ireland SFC Final 2019.- Dublin V Kerry - Read Mod Note in Post #1

Options
  • 12-08-2019 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭

Well folks. Thought I’d get the ball rolling as there doesn’t seem to be another thread.

I have to say I was not expecting Kerry to be here and understandably Dublin are overwhelming favourites. I think if the two sides faced off ten times Kerry might win 2-3. I hope personally that this will be one of those times.

I’d expect both sides will come to play football and it could be a high scoring affair. We know Dublin can play any way you want. Kerry’s best chance is probably a shootout a la 2013.

Mod Note:
    No discussing of finance or any "advantages" that Dublin have in this thread. You can discuss that in this thread. Discussing it here will result in a minimum of a day long ban.
    No abuse of players or managers. Using derogatory terms like scum(bag), thug, rat, kn***er etc. will earn you an infraction at the very least. You can criticise a player for something or express your dislike for a player without resorting to abuse.
    It should go without saying, but no abuse of other posters.

If there's any trolling of fans of the losing team in their dedicated county thread after the game, that will be dealt with pretty severely. A bit of banter is allowed in this thread, but don't go overboard. The general rule is "Don't be a Dick".
    Report posts that you feel cross the line.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

With Kerry's full back line I can't see anything other than a Dublin win to be honest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,414 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Dublin will walk the final.

Sad to say, I cannot see anything less than a comfortable 8 or 9 point win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

The biggest challenge here is how are the pundits/media going to big this up as an apparent competitive game? Expect plenty of "Kerry are Kerry" "its destiny" "never write them off" "in their DNA" comments over the next few weeks!

But on planet earth (sorry Kerry!), Dublin by 8-10 - could well be worse though if they're in a particularly non-charitable mood. That backline against Mannion, Rock, KK and COC - yikes!

In fairness I do expect Kerry to put up the biggest score against Dublin this year. Maybe they'll be a bit more ready to challenge in a year or two and this experience should stand to them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I actually feel a bit sorry for Kerry having to play this Dublin team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭C__MC

Dublin played extremely defensively on Saturday at times, bodies back in numbers. They will do the same in 3 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JFlah

Dublin are justifiably very strong favourites and yes Mannion ,KK ,COC , Howard and to a lesser extent from open play Rock are a terrifying proposition for any defence.

I do think however that the Kerry forward line is the first Dublin have faced in a long time capable of putting up a very high total, I don't think any defender from Dublin or otherwise will relish trying to cope with David Clifford, Sean O' Shea, Paul Geaney, Stephen O'Brien and the different threat Tommy Walsh will potentially pose.

As I said Dublin are justifiable favourites and should win but not a foregone conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,226 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

C__MC wrote: »
    Dublin played extremely defensively on Saturday at times, bodies back in numbers. They will do the same in 3 weeks.

Those are the key words - at times.

Dublin's game management is brilliant, knowing when to put the pressure on, when to keep it up and when to drive it home. They also know when to take the sting out of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Bit early but i do like a prediction. Here's mine. Dublin 2-19 v Kerry 3-14. Gonna be some epic battle, no doubt about it lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,204 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Dublin will walk the final.

Sad to say, I cannot see anything less than a comfortable 8 or 9 point win.

I agree 100% with your assessment.

The Kerry forwards will cause the Dublin backs some bother, but I can't see the Kerry backs holding the Dublin forwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭C__MC

blanch152 wrote: »
    Those are the key words - at times.

Dublin's game management is brilliant, knowing when to put the pressure on, when to keep it up and when to drive it home. They also know when to take the sting out of the game.

Actually thought myself they really put the heat on mayo before half time. Come second half, they had the legs on them and just blew them away

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

People codding themselves predicting this to be a contest. There's not a team in Ireland that can get anywhere near them. Cork gave them as good a rattle as anyone this season and they beat Cork by 13. Beat Mayo by 10.

Dublin by 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PressRun

I suppose you can never rule anything out on the day but I think Dublin will win it with a few to spare.

Mokuba wrote: »
    People codding themselves predicting this to be a contest.

Dublin by 11.

Pile your hard earned dough on Dublin -10 with the bookies. See how confident you are. Easy money hey? Nothing surer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,312 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I won't lie I am bit worried as a Dub supporter - OK the Kerry backline might not be the best.

But Jayus thier forward line... - O'Shea, O'Brien, Geaney - you would swear Clifford was playing minor again he looks so carefree.
    If I was Peter Keane I would start Tommy Walsh he really knits it together for them - works like a dog.

Plus I think Peter Keane's interviews are gas - fair play to him.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

People codding themselves predicting this to be a contest. There's not a team in Ireland that can get anywhere near them. Cork gave them as good a rattle as anyone this season and they beat Cork by 13. Beat Mayo by 10.

Dublin by 11.

Cork ran put of petrol though as they did in many of thier defeats this year v Kerry, Tyrone, Dublin etc

I won't lie I am bit worried as a Dub supporter - OK the Kerry backline might not be the best.

But Jayus thier forward line... - O'Shea, O'Brien, Geaney - you would swear Clifford was playing minor again he looks so carefree.
    If I was Peter Keane I would start Tommy Walsh he really knits it together for them - works like a dog.

Plus I think Peter Keane's interviews are gas - fair play to him.

Savage forward line would cause any team big problems. Definately goals in that team and a few at vital stages and all bets are off. I can see Kerry score 3 goals. Dont know why but i feel our full back line are going to be severely tested and taken for a ride. Huge test. Make no mistake this is going to be incredibly difficult to win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Pile your hard earned dough on Dublin -10 with the bookies. See how confident you are. Easy money hey? Nothing surer.

Dublin margins of victory in 2018:
    • 26 points (Louth)
    • 15 points (Kildare)
    • 16 points (Meath)
    • 13 points (Cork)
    • 18 points (Roscommon)
    • 6 points (Dead rubber v Tyrone)

FYI, Paddy Power have Dublin -10 at 3/1. They have Kerry just to win the game at 9/2. Dublin -10 is considered more likely to happen than Kerry just winning at all.

Codding yourself if you expect this to be a contest. I'll happily back Dublin -10.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Cork ran put of petrol though as they did in many of thier defeats this year v Kerry, Tyrone, Dublin etc

Cork are no where near the required conditioning at the moment though things are improving with plenty of good talent to join the panel in the next few years.

Dublin haven’t played all that well in a few finals and last year were well behind to Tyrone before getting a couple of goals. There are bound to be some Dublin nerves but just can’t see that kerry backline/midfield doing enough.

• 26 points (Louth)
    • 15 points (Kildare)
    • 16 points (Meath)
    • 13 points (Cork)
    • 18 points (Roscommon)

FYI, Paddy Power have Dublin -10 at 3/1. They have Kerry just to win the game at 9/2. Dublin -10 is considered more likely to happen than Kerry just winning at all.

Codding yourself if you expect this to be a contest. I'll happily back Dublin -10.

Fair enough. Will be a nerve racking bet if you do. Of course it is possible but i think it's going to be tight. Very tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Dublin are scoring on average 28 points per game this summer and are now up against a Kerry defence that are conceding big scores all year and they have been lucky they didn't concede a lot more in games but that luck will likely run out against a free scoring and goal hungry Dublin outfit.

Hope i'm wrong as like every neutral i would like to see a close competitive final that will be in the balance until the final few minutes but I can't see past a one sided final and i think we are probably looking at 10 point margin at least. I predict Dublin 4-18 Kerry 2-14 and i'm generous with Kerry's score as i think the likes of Geaney,Clifford will put up a decent score when Dublin have eased off having the game already won.

• Advertisement

• 26 points (Louth)
    • 15 points (Kildare)
    • 16 points (Meath)
    • 13 points (Cork)
    • 18 points (Roscommon)

Wouldn't worry about any of those games. Kerry in an All Ire final is different gravy. Throw the 5 in a row into the mix and all bets are off. Funny things happen every once in a while. You should never totally dismiss life's unpredictability. I don't believe it is in any way a 'sure' thing. No chance.

Savage forward line would cause any team big problems. Definately goals in that team and a few at vital stages and all bets are off. I can see Kerry score 3 goals. Dont know why but i feel our full back line are going to be severely tested and taken for a ride. Huge test. Make no mistake this is going to be incredibly difficult to win.

I think so as well because of who the team is and the history and them stopping history being made.
    No team-talk needed for Kerry.

If Kerry are to win I think they will need 3 goals.
    Well capable of getting them.

I hope the Dublin team still think of the final as 'game 8' it is a very clever way of doing it to take the pressure off.

I think so as well because of who the team is and the history and them stopping history being made.
    No team-talk needed for Kerry.

If Kerry are to win I think they will need 3 goals.
    Well capable of getting them.

Without a doubt they are. Only an eejit would dismiss the Kingdom with a star studded forward line like that and the fact they will move heaven and earth to stop us doing the 5 in a row. They fully deserved to beat us in the league few months back. Bet us in league final few years back when the same doomsayers gave them no chance. Kerry will always have a chance in an All Ireland final. If Dublin are anyway off par it's goodnite Irene. We need to be operating at near to maximum level and then it should be good to carry the day.

Possibly, but i don't bother with all that coddswallop. Seems to get under some peoples skin. Water off a ducks back. . I don't waste my time on it. Negativity like that only brings a person down.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Well folks. Thought I’d get the ball rolling as there doesn’t seem to be another thread.

I have to say I was not expecting Kerry to be here and understandably Dublin are overwhelming favourites. I think if the two sides faced off ten times Kerry might win 2-3. I hope personally that this will be one of those times.

I’d expect both sides will come to play football and it could be a high scoring affair. We know Dublin can play any way you want. Kerry’s best chance is probably a shootout a la 2013.

They would be massacred in a shoot-out, so hopefully.
    What gets me is if Dublin do lose all the talk of 'finances' etc will die suddenly - drowned out by the sound of laughter from 31 counties...
    The gloaters will emerge from the woodwork - Kerry will be proclaimed as the saviours of football - a new era - a new dawn - the aristocrats of football.

It just doesn't bear thinking about.

They would be massacred in a shoot-out, so hopefully.

It just doesn't bear thinking about.

As important as it is, it's still just a game of football lads. After the initial few days of grief or euphoria we all just get back to our normal lives. Life goes on. The sun will rise. And we all look forward again to next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Calltocall

I honestly think with the way things are if Dublin played them ten times Dublin would win 9 if not 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

As important as it is, it's still just a game of football lads. After the initial few days of grief or euphoria we all just get back to our normal lives. Life goes on. The sun will rise. And we all look forward again to next year.

No we don't. Myself, Stoner and Bonniedog roam the Streets like the Baseball Furies for days listening out for shouts of "Yerra" and "Star".

No we don't. Myself, Stoner and Bonniedog roam the Streets like the Baseball Furies for days listening out for shouts of "Yerra" and "Star".

Hahaha 'Warriors, come out to play!!!'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Calltocall wrote: »
    I honestly think with the way things are if Dublin played them ten times Dublin would win 9 if not 10.

I think the hysteria after the Mayo game has been OTT personally. They beat an ageing and injury ravaged team well. Most of us thought Dublin would win and that there was a good chance of a rout given the issues Mayo had. So it transpired. Kerry hammered mayo a few weeks before that, albeit they were probably in worse shape at the time.

I understand why everyone thinks Kerry can not win. It would be one of the greatest shocks in a final in many years. The beauty of sport is that anything can happen though. If Kerry can get a couple of goals who knows. I have been impressed with their conditioning this year and I don’t think they will wilt in the closing stages as many of Dublin’s opponents do.

The most likely outcome is a Dublin win of course, but Kerry might do better than a lot of people think

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement