Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2019 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Unknownability

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Is this the order they were done in? What gap was between the PMP run and long run?

They are in order and it was, Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

PMP was 8 am Wednesday and LSR was 8 pm Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭jackc101

- Did you get in all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not?
    All runs completed

- Did you run the runs at an appropriate pace?

Some mistakes here, mentioned my PMP run on Wed was bracketed by warm up and cool down that were too fast, as well as exceeding the PMP at times.
    LSR was going well, nice & slow, until I got the text about the takeaway being en route from my OH :o:D Only slightly faster than intended and it was still warm by the time I was home :pac:
    Otherwise the Easy and recovery runs were good pace.
    Takeaway lessons (Har har) - better ETA calculation, better pace monitoring on the PMP runs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

They are in order and it was, Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Yeah just thinking it might be an idea to start your week on a Sunday as opposed to a Monday if you're going to do LRs on Fridays..would keep the sequence and recovery pattern more intact? Just with the way you had last week there was less recovery time between the PMP miles and LR than planned. It probably felt ok, but if that was week 12 for example, there are 9 miles at pace and a 16 mile long run. You'll want that recovery period (or at least most would :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Unknownability

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Yeah just thinking it might be an idea to start your week on a Sunday as opposed to a Monday if you're going to do LRs on Fridays..would keep the sequence and recovery pattern more intact? Just with the way you had last week there was less recovery time between the PMP miles and LR than planned. It probably felt ok, but if that was week 12 for example, there are 9 miles at pace and a 16 mile long run. You'll want that recovery period (or at least most would :) )

That's a great idea about altering the starting day, I didn't think of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭jackc101

A heart rate question, just reviewing my recovery and other runs - based on the watch (Tomtom, no chest monitor)
    Rec 3.16 km at 7.24 min/km - average HR 173 bpm
    LSR 16.1 km at 6.30 min/km - average HR 168 bpm
    They seem high to me?

edit to add - my target paces
    PMP 5.40 min/km
    Easy 6.40 min/km
    Rec 7.30 min/km

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭clickhere

Did you get all the runs in. Yes I got all the runs in with a few KMs added on as on holidays next week. Did you run at appropriate pace.... Tuesday 10.13kms@6.29=1:05:38. Wednesday 10.38kms@5.41=58:59. PMP. Thursday 10.05kms @6.26=1:04:36. Saturday 21.73 KMs @6.22=2:18:17. Sunday 4. 38@ 6.27 = 28.16. Really enjoying the LSR, but think I need to go slower.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭py

Nike's TRAINED podcast had a good episode on recovery this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

DBB wrote: »
    Hi all!

Did you get all your runs in? If not, why not?
    Bear with me on this one... I have explained this before but just to get it all in one place here! I'm planning on following the HHN1 Marathon Plan, but I had signed up for the Clontarf HM aaages ago to motivate me to get up to the miles I needed to be up to before starting the Marathon Plan... confused yet? The Clontarf HM was yesterday.
    So, up until yesterday I was actually following the HHN1 Half Marathon Plan. This meant the past week was a taper week. I adjusted days a little bit so that I'd get the required 2 rest days prior to the half marathon. And... I couldn't resist a recovery jog today!
    So, the week went like this:
    Monday: 4 miles easy; 12.02 min/mile
    Tues: 3 miles easy; 11.30 min/mile
    Wednesday: 2 miles easy; 11.21 min/mile
    Thurs and Fri: Rest (huh... fat chance..."rest" is a relative term in this house!:rolleyes:)
    Saturday: 13.1 miles, pushing it a bit (for me!), seeing as it's a race; 11:33 min/mile
    Sunday: 3 miles very, very easy recovery; 12:42

Did you run at appropriate paces?
    Yes, I think so. I'm running to heart rate, so that dictates my speed.

The Clontarf Half Marathon was a great experience really. It's the furthest I have ever run :o
    I went out pretty easy, with the intention of using the race as a long slow-ish run. Looking back over the splits, I kept a really good consistency in pace throughout (average 11:33 min/mile), and whilst I realise this is not at all fast, the thing that stuck out to me was that I didn't really get any slower as the race went on, and I finished feeling pretty good and strong. Yay!
    The soft sand at each end of the beach section was a bit of a drag, but short-lived. I lived right beside the beach for many years, and did loooads of running on hard sand, so I loved most of the beach bit! I'd great support from family too, as I'm originally from the area, so they hopped on and off buses, and cycled, to bring them up and down the course, popping up at unexpected places to cheer me on, much to my delight :D
    Chip Time: 2:31:03 :)
    I did struggle though, with an ongoing problem I'm having with tummy pains as I run...sharp, radiating cramps just under my diaphragm... appeared after Mile 1, and stayed with me until about Mile 4, then disappeared (which made the run so much more enjoyable!), then rejoined me from about Mile 9 right to the bloody end. I'm going to have to figure this out, as it has plagued me for years now, and the thoughts of battling the marathon itself with this feckin pain... ugh :(

So, that's the end of the Half Marathon Plan.
    I now have a bit of a dilemma. I've progressed up to LSRs of 9, 10, and 11 miles over this training block. If I do the HHN1 Marathon Plan as originally intended, I feel I'm dropping back on this hard-won consistency... so... Fab Mentors... is there anything to be said for doing the HHN2 plan instead?
    I'm a bit unsure about both HHN2 and the Boards Plan as I don't fully understand how the planned faster runs within these plans fit with my overarching wish to stick to heart rate training... I do a hills session every week as it is, but it's hills-in-reverse... run fast down them, jog back up them, to get the speed up without sending the BPM over threshold!
    I'd value your opinions :)

Well done to everyone on another week! And to everyone who raced over the weekend too! I know a couple of us can now call ourselves Half Marathoners after this weekend :p:cool:

Hi DBB - congrats on Clontarf. How does the body feel today?

I had a look at HHN2 and the midweek runs look to ramp up more quickly than the Boards plan. If you take a step-back week this week as discussed, then next week, your long run will be 9 miles, which isn't a step back. Are you concerned that the midweek mileage is a step back?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Did you get in all the runs on your plan?

Yes, I did. I accidentally did a mile too many @PMP on Wed and I was doing a half marathon on Saturday so I didn't do the 2mile recovery on Sunday as Saturday's LSR was only meant to be 10miles.

Did you run the runs at an appropriate pace?

Tuesday's run was a small bit faster than it should have been and I paid for it for 2 days afterwards. However, for the rest of the runs, my pace was spot on. It was mentally quite difficult to stick to LSR pace for a race but I knew it had to be done so I just did it.

Plan for this week: Keep all runs at the correct pace. Tuesday will be slow slow slow. Thursday I hope to do a section of the DCM course for my 4m easy. Am planning Saturday's LSR and it will include parkrun. I haven't decided whether parkrun will be the first 3mile or the last 3mile of it yet.

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Am planning Saturday's LSR and it will include parkrun. I haven't decided whether parkrun will be the first 3mile or the last 3mile of it yet.

At the end is probably easier so you're not stopping to get the barcode scanned and then heading off again. Plus if you're with people you can head off for the post parkrun coffees easily :)

• Advertisement

jackc101 wrote: »
    A heart rate question, just reviewing my recovery and other runs - based on the watch (Tomtom, no chest monitor)
    Rec 3.16 km at 7.24 min/km - average HR 173 bpm
    LSR 16.1 km at 6.30 min/km - average HR 168 bpm
    They seem high to me?

edit to add - my target paces
    PMP 5.40 min/km
    Easy 6.40 min/km
    Rec 7.30 min/km

Yeah it does seem high, but glancing through your Strava there, a lot seem to be at 170ish regardless of recovery, easy or PMP pace so I'm wondering if its just a dodgy watch reading?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Hi DBB - congrats on Clontarf. How does the body feel today?

I had a look at HHN2 and the midweek runs look to ramp up more quickly than the Boards plan. If you take a step-back week this week as discussed, then next week, your long run will be 9 miles, which isn't a step back. Are you concerned that the midweek mileage is a step back?

Hi Huzzah!
    Thanks for your reply.
    Okay... I may have been comparing the plans with the post HM fog :D I thought the LSRs dropped back more than they actually do :o
    Midweek runs were at 5 miles, 4 miles, and 5 miles... A little higher than was required on the plan, but I just got myself into the habit. What ya think? Stick more strictly to the plan?

I felt better yesterday than I do today... Which may explain why I did that a very easy 3 miles recovery jog yesterday afternoon... But I'm not sure now that that was the best idea I ever had. Feeling pretty tired today, so taking it easy. Lesson learned :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Overthere33

Hi All, I got my ticket in the July round. Enjoying reading your posts. Here is my little bio.

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    5km 23.09 Feb 2019
    1/2 Marathon 1.56 March 19

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)

Not usually.

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.

Train 5 days a wk. Have 180km cycle with half marathon after Aug bank holiday wkend.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?

Would love sub 4. But anything really.

How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?

Train 5 maybe 6 with recovery. Think novice 2 plan.

What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up?

Not being able to finish. 😨😨😨

Why are you running this marathon?

I really want to😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Wombled

Week 3 and a mere 111 days to go...

As Mr Guappa is on his hollybops, I’m stepping in to give the week three preview. Some big shoes to fill, so go easy on me.

REVIEW:

A big week where DCM sold out - again! It’s great to see that some of you were lucky enough to secure entries.

It looks like most of you are settling into the routine and rhythm of your respective plans. Those of you following the Boards plan had a crack at your first pace run. Some found it easier than others and this post from KSU (one of the forum’s most knowledgeable posters) was instructive: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110595543&postcount=850

Let us know how you got on. I’ll repeat Mr Guappa’s homework from last week and ask you to answer the following questions in relation to week two:

- Did you get in all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not?

- Did you run the runs at an appropriate pace?

Yeep, I am away in France at the moment, but getting all runs in as planned. I am averaging on 11.30 pace, happy with that and following the HH novice plan. My diet is another issue which I need to sort out on my return, but I can't be worrying about that on holidays. Thanks to this page for all the motivation and keeping me going. The early morning runs are working at the moment

DBB wrote: »
    Hi Huzzah!
    Thanks for your reply.
    Okay... I may have been comparing the plans with the post HM fog :D I thought the LSRs dropped back more than they actually do :o
    Midweek runs were at 5 miles, 4 miles, and 5 miles... A little higher than was required on the plan, but I just got myself into the habit. What ya think? Stick more strictly to the plan?

I felt better yesterday than I do today... Which may explain why I did that a very easy 3 miles recovery jog yesterday afternoon... But I'm not sure now that that was the best idea I ever had. Feeling pretty tired today, so taking it easy. Lesson learned :o

Nothing wrong with a recovery run but in the circumstances, it might have meant a bigger week for you than was warranted.

I've looked at the HHN1 half plan and it's at most 5, 3, 5; had you also increased ahead of that plan?

Irishder wrote: »
    Did you get in all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not?

No only got out for 3 runs again this week! Travelling for work and a funeral in the family meant i didn't get the 4th run in.

Paces where good for the most part. Midweek runs at 10:30 and long run (7 miles) at 11:00.

One question. I am always bursting to go to the toilet at the end of the long run. Is there anything i can do to help this. Barley made it home this week. I go as much as i can before the run.

No problem in stopping on your long run if you need a pit stop. Depending on what the issue is, look at what you're eating and drinking before a run. Tea, for example, can be a diuretic.

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Missed one short run as I had a long cycle on this week and thought it better to have another rest day in advance of that.

I believe so. For the undulating terrain of most of my runs I find running the uphills at 90 seconds per mile slower and the downhills 90 seconds per mile faster than whatever average pace I'm supposed to do seems to balance out and keeps the "feel" of the run constant.

For this week I'll be swapping the Wednesday and Saturday runs around as I have a parkrun tourist trip on Saturday along with a 10K (will be doing both at easy pace!) and I'd prefer not to interrupt my LSR by breaking it up.

Careful now! You're moving quite a lot around; it's difficult to keep track. By chopping and changing so much, you're not really following the plan. It seems that the above means you won't do the planned hills/5 mile session and you're replacing it with a 13k run?

Did you get in all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not?

All runs completed

Paces were good for the most part, although there'd be no harm slowing the LSR down a bit.

Great stuff. You're following a big plan that you're well able for but please do tone back on the paces to keep the niggles at bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Irishder wrote: »
    One question. I am always bursting to go to the toilet at the end of the long run. Is there anything i can do to help this. Barley made it home this week. I go as much as i can before the run.

Are you glugging back loads of liquids before or during your run? The best way to be well hydrated is to drink small amounts of liquids frequently during the day or before your run. Try to cut back on drinking a lot beforehand or during. Doing this can help bladder control during your run.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

Hi Soulsun, I think stick to the plan at this point. If you want to do a 20 minute walk the day after a long run, it will aid the recovery process.

perfecto
    that will do me
    thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

All the runs done last week but I'm well ahead of HHN1 plan.

Had a look at HHN2 and it seems doable.
    Is that a wise move?
    Log here
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057942215/1/#post110633972

Anyone else doing it?

frash wrote: »

Is that a wise move?
    Log here

Anyone else doing it?

What do you think of Boards plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

What do you think of Boards plan?

Can't get the 5th day of running in

• Registered Users Posts: 11 TillyDcm

Week 2 on HHN1 plan complete.
    Mon 3 miles @ avg 10:34/mi
    Tues 3 miles @ avg 11:15/mi
    Wed 3 miles @ avg 11:07/mi
    Sat 7 miles (4m + parkrun) @ avg 10:58/mi
    Sun 5k race, which I took very easy @ avg 10:29/mi

I had a 10 minute gap between my 4 miles and the start of the parkrun on Saturday. Does this break take away from the long run in any way? I will try to time these runs better so that I am arriving at the parkrun closer to the start time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

TillyDcm wrote: »
    Week 2 on HHN1 plan complete.
    Mon 3 miles @ avg 10:34/mi
    Tues 3 miles @ avg 11:15/mi
    Wed 3 miles @ avg 11:07/mi
    Sat 7 miles (4m + parkrun) @ avg 10:58/mi
    Sun 5k race, which I took very easy @ avg 10:29/mi

I had a 10 minute gap between my 4 miles and the start of the parkrun on Saturday. Does this break take away from the long run in any way? I will try to time these runs better so that I am arriving at the parkrun closer to the start time.

Unless you are planning to take 10 minute breaks in the marathon itself, then it's not ideal! The long runs need to be run contiguously to prepare the body for what will happen to it on marathon day.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Rega

frash wrote: »

Is that a wise move?
    Log here

Anyone else doing it?

Yeah, I'm doing it. It's grand. I just finished week 4. Started 2 weeks earlier as I'm off on holidays with the family tomorrow for a fortnight and I won't be doing long runs. I'll get out for a few 3 or 4 milers to keep me ticking over. I'll be back in time to start week 5 with everyone else!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Singer wrote: »
    Unless you are planning to take 10 minute breaks in the marathon itself, then it's not ideal! The long runs need to be run contiguously to prepare the body for what will happen to it on marathon day.

Just to follow up on this..if you get there 10 mins early just keep running until Parkrun starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Rega wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm doing it. It's grand. I just finished week 4. Started 2 weeks earlier as I'm off on holidays with the family tomorrow for a fortnight and I won't be doing long runs. I'll get out for a few 3 or 4 milers to keep me ticking over. I'll be back in time to start week 5 with everyone else!

Any chance you could do the long runs? They are much more important than the short runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Rega

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Any chance you could do the long runs? They are much more important than the short runs.

Not with a 6 year and a 4 year old in tow! Holiday time is family time for us. It wouldn't be fair to leave my wife with the kids for hours on end. That's why I started the Hal Higdon plan two weeks early. I won't miss any of the runs. When I get back I'll be starting week 5 the same time as everyone else. Have fun without me!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Nothing wrong with a recovery run but in the circumstances, it might have meant a bigger week for you than was warranted.

I've looked at the HHN1 half plan and it's at most 5, 3, 5; had you also increased ahead of that plan?

Hey Huzzah!
    Yes, I started the HM plan maybe 3 weeks, earlier than necessary, and got to the 5 mile midweek runs earlier accordingly. The 3 mile midweek run, I upped to 4 miles for a good few weeks too, all with the aim of getting the weekly miles up a bit.
    I felt better as today went on too, just had hit a bit of a slump when I posted earlier :o
    Thanks for your help Huzzah!, tis appreciated!

Advertisement