Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

thebaz wrote: »

I think it should be mandatory for all drivers to spend a certain time on bike, I drive a car soemtimes too.

I've thought that as well.

Motorists who don't cycle have no idea how terrifying a close call can be. They seem just think what's the big deal, you weren't hit.

Unfortunately if they did experience , their decision making and awareness might improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,581 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

micar wrote: »

Motorists who don't cycle have no idea how terrifying a close call can be. They seem just think what's the big deal, you were hit.

Unfortunately if they did experience , their decision making and awareness would improve.

Having driven many modes of transport around the world , think Irish drivers are some of the worst, particularly Dublin - no awareness of space, and surroundings and no amount of legislation will tackle this, apart from perhaps dangerous driving enforcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,411 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Having driven many modes of transport around the world , think Irish drivers are some of the worst, particularly Dublin - no awareness of space, and surroundings and no amount of legislation will tackle this, apart from perhaps dangerous driving enforcement.

They are certainly close to worst in Europe for checking social media while driving, which has got to be a major contributory factor

https://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/motors/2017/0725/892841-irish-drivers-use-of-mobiles-and-texting-while-driving-soars

• Registered Users Posts: 13,581 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

They are certainly close to worst in Europe for checking social media while driving, which has got to be a major contributory factor

https://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/motors/2017/0725/892841-irish-drivers-use-of-mobiles-and-texting-while-driving-soars

think thats what that clown in her armoured (Volvo) SUV was doing - she's well protected so **** us cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭queldy

Does it make it legal if you keep it (the phone) on the steering?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S12r2M0yFvY&feature=youtu.be

Not a near miss - I sensed "something": invading lanes, random left/right moves, slowing down/accelerating without following the flow of traffic, braking abruptly - all signs for "be careful: driver is either not-skilled, confused, tipsy or phone-driving".
    I stayed behind, then saw from mirror she was using the phone. Not visible in the video, but she was using it for long time (I could see clearly in the mirror).
    Stay safe out there!

• Advertisement

queldy wrote: »
    I'm seeing more and more similar situations, phones mounted on the dash, or leaning against the speedo, or held against the wheel while drivers are watching videos or video chatting. It's just insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Phone use definitely seems to have shot up in the last year, particularly the last few months in my experience. When I'm in the car at a red light 9 times out of 10 the person behind me is looking at their phone.

I've seen a big spike in people just flat out on a call with the phone to their ear. The amount of people not even trying to hide it just shows how everyone is getting away with it.

Recently in Phoenix Park someone nearly clipped me in a large older Merc, in his haste to pass me he got stuck at the roundabout 100m away and couldn't get it into gear with his phone in his hand and was holding me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I've seen a big spike in people just flat out on a call with the phone to their ear. The amount of people not even trying to hide it just shows how everyone is getting away with it.

You’d think with almost all new cars having Bluetooth as standard that phone use would drop. But it’s not so much calls that worry me any more, it’s mindless scrolling through social media, news etc..

My desk in work is on the 2nd floor looking down on a busy-ish city centre junction and, while it’s in no way scientific, I’d hazard a guess that about 60-70% of motorist that stop at the lights whip out their phone and begin scrolling around. More often than not, they’ll continue as they begin to drive off. I’ve often considered making a timelapse just to show how absolutely ridiculously rife it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

https://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/motors/2017/0725/892841-irish-drivers-use-of-mobiles-and-texting-while-driving-soars/

My own experience cycle committing is that about one in three are distracted by a device. One give away is that traffic queue when the lights go green - a lot of the time there’ll be one motorist buried on their phone, holding everyone else up.

The icing on the cake for me was one evening about 12 months ago. Got on the south quays in Dublin was watching an Irish football international. I pulled up beside (he was stationary), and kind of looked over his shoulder. They reaction was priceless. Common enough to see people applying makeup, eating cereal and reading things held on the steering wheel

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I think it should be mandatory for all drivers to spend a certain time on bike, I drive a car soemtimes too.
    micar wrote: »

Motorists who don't cycle have no idea how terrifying a close call can be. .
    reminded me of this, though would have been better if they were actually cycling on a road full of potholes and was pissing rain, the pass should have been much closer too.

also reminded me of this post in an "adverts you despise" thread.
    Also the 'give cyclists room' law that was meant to be passed wasn't.

So the ads are redundant.

quite a worrying attitude... the ad never even mentions any potential law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

queldy wrote: »

Not a near miss - I sensed "something": invading lanes, random left/right moves, slowing down/accelerating without following the flow of traffic, braking abruptly - all signs for "be careful: driver is either not-skilled, confused, tipsy or phone-driving".
    I stayed behind, then saw from mirror she was using the phone. Not visible in the video, but she was using it for long time (I could see clearly in the mirror).
    Stay safe out there!

Almost every single instance of car or van in traffic moving erratically connected to use of an electronic device while driving.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Almost every single instance of car or van in traffic moving erratically connected to use of an electronic device while driving.

came past a 181 car sitting in the middle of the N11 this morning with no other cars around it, they were all 200m up the road. For a second I thought maybe something had happened but no, they just didn't notice the traffic moving. Even when they started moving they couldn't put the phone down and crawled along juddering every so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭De Bhál

CramCycle wrote: »
    came past a 181 car sitting in the middle of the N11 this morning with no other cars around it, they were all 200m up the road. For a second I thought maybe something had happened but no, they just didn't notice the traffic moving. Even when they started moving they couldn't put the phone down and crawled along juddering every so often.

Yep, one afternoon I was cycling up the hill past the gates to the Botanic Gardens and could see lights go green up ahead, a car at lights didn't budge and lights had gone back red by the time I got up there. Guy looking at his phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Segment on crime call about distracted driving on mobile phones

Holy Crap, coming down the N11 last night, car in the bus lane for a few km, even though there was no heavy traffic, as in why bother? Anyway, driver slwoing and speeding up erratically, nearly rear ends a bus, nearly hits a pedestrian at a crossing. I though they had a paper in their hand as they passed me, caught them at a set of lights. They are reading printed PDF or PPT slides and making notes, the driver is, I sh1t you not, writing and reading while driving. I went to give out and then I just couldn't be bothered.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Bit late now but in future call Garda Trafficwatch @ 1890 205 805

• Registered Users Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Holy Crap, coming down the N11 last night, car in the bus lane for a few km, even though there was no heavy traffic, as in why bother? Anyway, driver slwoing and speeding up erratically, nearly rear ends a bus, nearly hits a pedestrian at a crossing. I though they had a paper in their hand as they passed me, caught them at a set of lights. They are reading printed PDF or PPT slides and making notes, the driver is, I sh1t you not, writing and reading while driving. I went to give out and then I just couldn't be bothered.

If you got the reg, or even the make/model and year I would say something to Traffic Watch anyway Cram. What you describe goes further than just glancing at a phone in traffic. There's an accident coming there if that behaviour is not corrected. Could be you as you travel that route frequently.

Bit late now but in future call Garda Trafficwatch @ 1890 205 805
    Having been through the Traffic Watch process multiple times, usually with video evidence, most recently showing a driver using his phone five times over the course of a few minutes, it is very, very difficult to get Gardai to act on such complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Having been through the Traffic Watch process multiple times, usually with video evidence, most recently showing a driver using his phone five times over the course of a few minutes, it is very, very difficult to get Gardai to act on such complaints.

is there an argument for getting it recorded so that if they're ever involved in a collision there's a record showing a trend in bad driving behaviour? or would that even be admissible if not fully investigated / prosecuted?

I tweeted the reg to the gardai, told them I have it on video. I stopped beside the car so you can see the driver ut the paper away, although the camera is tilted too high to see that they are actively working on it.

• Advertisement

Fair enough. My experience on a TW complaint (with no evidence bar a signed statement) was that the garda in Lucan took action (kid consistently standing in launch position in a car that passed me almost every day). I opted for the warning rather than it to go to court.
    I'd still try complain. Maybe you just got a dickhead garda and the next one will view it with the appropriate seriousness

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭Fian

Collision this morning but it was entirely my fault. Filtering past stopped traffic just before crossing the canal, I clipped the wing mirror of the car at the front of the queue with my handlebar. I was going very slowly, i was about to put my foot down on the kerb, no damage done. I pushed the wing mirror back into place and apologised to the driver.

She was very gracious about it, far more gracious than I was entitled to expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Holy Crap, coming down the N11 last night, car in the bus lane for a few km, even though there was no heavy traffic, as in why bother?

For the sake of pedantry, was this after 7pm? In that case the bus lane is not in operation and is the correct place for a car to be (the leftmost lane).

cdaly_ wrote: »
    For the sake of pedantry, was this after 7pm? In that case the bus lane is not in operation and is the correct place for a car to be (the leftmost lane).

Not after 7pm. It was about 17:40. Although this raises another (two) interesting point(s). I for one am off the opinion all bus lanes should be 24hours, have never understood timed operation lanes as they are only out of operation at the times no one would ever need to go into them.
    Also I don't think that it is treated as the left most driving lane out of hours, as the N11 is a national road and not the same as a motorway. You do not have to drive in the left lane for a variety of reasons, on the N11, you could be turning right etc. and driving in the right hand lane is perfectly fine. I am pretty certain that this requirement for motorways does not carry through to roads like the N11, although I do it anyway.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Not after 7pm. It was about 17:40. Although this raises another (two) interesting point(s). I for one am off the opinion all bus lanes should be 24hours, have never understood timed operation lanes as they are only out of operation at the times no one would ever need to go into them.
    Also I don't think that it is treated as the left most driving lane out of hours, as the N11 is a national road and not the same as a motorway. You do not have to drive in the left lane for a variety of reasons, on the N11, you could be turning right etc. and driving in the right hand lane is perfectly fine. I am pretty certain that this requirement for motorways does not carry through to roads like the N11, although I do it anyway.

As far as I know this is not correct. The N prefix doesn't make any impact on whether the road is one or two lanes. Once the operating times of the bus lane end it simply becomes another driving lane, and as such the keep left driving rule would come into effect. Keep left is not specific to motorways either, it applies on all roads. As for junctions and lane markings, yes they must be adhered to but that's besides the point.

But obviously, the behaviour you noted is completely unacceptable and is ridiculous and in a just world they should be having a talking to from the Gardai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/dublin-cyclists-head-drivers-windscreen/

Looks like they had a relatively lucky escape. Injured but not killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

driving on the leftmost lane or on the left side of the road even applies to one way streets

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/dublin-cyclists-head-drivers-windscreen/

Looks like they had a relatively lucky escape. Injured but not killed.
    DFB coming in for a bit of stick for the phraseology in that tweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Howth road inbound this morning, I was in the bus/cycle lane coming through Killester when a white transit van came right up behind me driving aggressively. I looked over my shoulder to see what he was up to and he was pointing vigorously at the bus/cycle lane before close passing me. Confusing.

• Advertisement

As far as I know this is not correct. The N prefix doesn't make any impact on whether the road is one or two lanes. Once the operating times of the bus lane end it simply becomes another driving lane, and as such the keep left driving rule would come into effect. Keep left is not specific to motorways either, it applies on all roads. As for junctions and lane markings, yes they must be adhered to but that's besides the point.

But obviously, the behaviour you noted is completely unacceptable and is ridiculous and in a just world they should be having a talking to from the Gardai.

The motorway has a driving lane with an overtaking lane (or two). A national road can have one or two driving lanes, hence why you can have right turns on National roads with two lanes but not on Motorways. So yes, keep left but you can move into the right lane not just for overtaking but also for turning right. The confusion here arises with the bus lane as it is not clear to some does this become a driving lane or not. I know in the UK it does and not driving in it outside of hours can be a fail on your test etc. In Ireland it become a driving lane, a parking place etc.

I could of course be very wrong.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement