Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recommend electric folding scooter for end of commute (Mod Note Post #1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Significantly probably not.

If folds better, more compact. Which would be important for me. I'd be on the train. Train is tight on space.
    Also you can add an extended battery. My commute is 14k each way (if I don't get the train). Solid tyres.
    But the m365 seems to ride better. Which if the surface you travel is poor might be what seals the deal for you.

http://www.elproducente.com/travel/xiaomi-m365-scooter-vs-segway-ninebot-es2-comparison-review-manual/

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Martynet

Hey guys, I needed a new form of transport because my kids started a school in September and because of school open its doors at 8:50, I'm late to work every day, because it takes me about 45 minutes to get to the office by Luas. I looked into the xiaomi scooters, but they don't have enough power to climb a hill with my weight which is around 95 Kg, and if they do, it's really slow. Also xiaomi's tyres can get a puncture very easily and it's very difficult to change the tube. Xiaomi scooters also don't have any type of suspension, so to me it's not very comfortable ride and very safe either. They are also tend to other defects, because the manufacturer doesn't use the best materials and I don't want it to break while I'm riding to the office.
    So I started a research on other brands and I was looking for more powerful scooter, which can easily climb any hill without loosing a speed, with good suspension for safer ride and also good range so I don't have to charge it twice a day. I also wanted it to be good looking, similar to xiaomi scooter, which is very nice. And I also wanted it to be under 20 Kg. I came across company called Minimotors, which makes two types of scooters, Speedway and Dualtron. They are very well built and very high quality which doesn't go easy on your wallet. I fell in love with Dualtron scooters straight away, especially Dualtron Spider, which ticks all the boxes for me. I found an e-shop in UK and bought it there. Will have to wait about 4-5 weeks for delivery. Here's the link if anyone is interested: https://scootera.uk/collections/dualtron-scooter/products/dualtron-spider-ultralight-3000w-scooter
    I really hope that law in Ireland will change soon and I don't have to be worried about riding it in cycling lane or road. I'm doing as much research as possible and I wouldn't mind paying TAX and Insurance and even contacted about 6 insurance companies today. All of them refused me so far... But I won't give up and will try everything to make my commute legal as possible. One guy in insurance company told me that he might be able to find a way to get me some kind of insurance, just to make gardas happy, in case they stop me. Of course, I will alway wear a helmet and I will respect all the traffic rules same way I do on my bicycle.
    If anyone is in similar situation and have some more information, I'm all ears. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Have you tried the Xiaomi up a hill were about the same weight and it took me up a little hill, need to try it on a big one. I'd say you'd nearly get away with it. The one you linked to is 2,500 euro. Your well into scooter terrority. The Xiaomi is 449. I'd nearly try it first before spending that kind of money, would be easy resell i'd assume if it won't do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Have you tried the Xiaomi up a hill were about the same weight and it took me up a little hill, need to try it on a big one. I'd say you'd nearly get away with it. The one you linked to is 2,500 euro. Your well into scooter terrority. The Xiaomi is 449. I'd nearly try it first before spending that kind of money, would be easy resell i'd assume if it won't do the job.

That's moped money....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

That's moped money....

Jesus does 65km/h. Try riding that on a rainy day without a windshield.

• Advertisement

Jesus does 65km/h. Try riding that on a rainy day without a windshield.

65 km/h is there in specs but with my weight I'd say the top speed won't go over 45-50. I know it's expensive but I was saving for it over 6 months and it's just on a different level than xiaomi. Broken Road and holes are no danger :)

Martynet wrote: »
    65 km/h is there in specs but with my weight I'd say the top speed won't go over 45-50. I know it's expensive but I was saving for it over 6 months and it's just on a different level than xiaomi. Broken Road and holes are no danger :)

And also I won't go faster than 30-40, cos I'll be probably terrified going any faster. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Hey guys, I needed a new form of transport because my kids started a school in September and because of school open its doors at 8:50, I'm late to work every day, because it takes me about 45 minutes to get to the office by Luas. I looked into the xiaomi scooters, but they don't have enough power to climb a hill with my weight which is around 95 Kg, and if they do, it's really slow. Also xiaomi's tyres can get a puncture very easily and it's very difficult to change the tube. Xiaomi scooters also don't have any type of suspension, so to me it's not very comfortable ride and very safe either. They are also tend to other defects, because the manufacturer doesn't use the best materials and I don't want it to break while I'm riding to the office.
    So I started a research on other brands and I was looking for more powerful scooter, which can easily climb any hill without loosing a speed, with good suspension for safer ride and also good range so I don't have to charge it twice a day. I also wanted it to be good looking, similar to xiaomi scooter, which is very nice. And I also wanted it to be under 20 Kg. I came across company called Minimotors, which makes two types of scooters, Speedway and Dualtron. They are very well built and very high quality which doesn't go easy on your wallet. I fell in love with Dualtron scooters straight away, especially Dualtron Spider, which ticks all the boxes for me. I found an e-shop in UK and bought it there. Will have to wait about 4-5 weeks for delivery. Here's the link if anyone is interested: https://scootera.uk/collections/dualtron-scooter/products/dualtron-spider-ultralight-3000w-scooter
    I really hope that law in Ireland will change soon and I don't have to be worried about riding it in cycling lane or road. I'm doing as much research as possible and I wouldn't mind paying TAX and Insurance and even contacted about 6 insurance companies today. All of them refused me so far... But I won't give up and will try everything to make my commute legal as possible. One guy in insurance company told me that he might be able to find a way to get me some kind of insurance, just to make gardas happy, in case they stop me. Of course, I will alway wear a helmet and I will respect all the traffic rules same way I do on my bicycle.
    If anyone is in similar situation and have some more information, I'm all ears. Cheers.

You won't insure it.
    You won't tax it.
    You won't type rate it under EU No 168/2013

Even if Noel Rock succeeds in getting new primary legislation through to change the RTA to allow Pedelecs that aren't bicycles (permitting scooters and one wheels) the 3000w motor will always be above that threshold. The current assist allowed on pedelecs is 250W so at most you could hope for 1500W for non assisting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Weight has very little to max speed, it is mainly driven by aero-drag. I think you're putting to much toughts into the performance of the thing. By no means I am an athlete and won't go longer than few seconds beyond 250W on my non-assited bicycle. Yet still, with my 105kg, I can climb hills much faster than walking.

My advice would be to get a foldable electric pedelec. Not only you will remain road-legal, you'll also get fitter in the proces and might get less concerned about those 95kg of yours. It won't be much harder to store that an electric scooter also.

grogi wrote: »
    Weight has very little to max speed, it is mainly driven by aero-drag. I think you're putting to much toughts into the performance of the thing. By no means I am an athlete and won't go longer than few seconds beyond 250W on my non-assited bicycle. Yet still, with my 105kg, I can climb hills much faster than walking.

My advice would be to get a foldable electric pedelec. Not only you will remain road-legal, you'll also get fitter in the proces and might get less concerned about those 95kg of yours. It won't be much harder to store that an electric scooter also.

I just found out something interesting. Dualtron scooter's settings can be changed to a PUSH TO START, so it doesn't start moving from STOP on it's own. This brings the scooter in the same category as xiaomi one.

• Advertisement

I just found out something interesting. Dualtron scooter's settings can be changed to a PUSH TO START, so it doesn't start moving from STOP on it's own. This brings the scooter in the same category as xiaomi one.

"moving from STOP on it's own" Isn't a category. Never was. The Xiaomi and Dualtron have no legal status other you can legally only USE them on private land.

I don't think any cares about the legal status, other than 2k is a lot to lose, in unlikely chance that you drive it like an idiot and/or some Garda decides he wants to something about it. Thus far it seems not very common.

Still a 60kph scooter is a different beast entirely. Why buy that over a eBike? Its no longer something light/compact to do that end of commute stage. Its really in the area of eMopeds then.
    https://electrek.co/2018/06/07/electric-mopeds-use-is-booming-around-the-world-here-are-the-options-available-in-the-usa/

We should really be progressive and bring some new legislation in around these. That said it took years to get the cycling laws changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭phester28

@Beauf you maintained a level of confidence in the area of law against e-scooters yet from my reading it remains a grey area that has not been explored in courts (from what I can find) please dont quote the what constitutes a motorized vehicle is.

Nothing to do with confidence. You have enough examples of Garda stopping people with similar devices, the law is pretty much black and white. I don't see whats grey about it.

However none of that is interesting.

Whats interesting is now we have more powerful scooters. You are now doing speeds faster than cars on main roads, and yet people can't see a problem with this.

Relatively, the vast majority of people will ever get past a constant 25kph on a bicycle. However anyone of any ability can get to 50~60kph on this scooter. The speed limit is 30~50kph around most cities.

beauf wrote: »
    "moving from STOP on it's own" Isn't a category. Never was. The Xiaomi and Dualtron have no legal status other you can legally only USE them on private land.

I don't think any cares about the legal status, other than 2k is a lot to lose, in unlikely chance that you drive it like an idiot and/or some Garda decides he wants to something about it. Thus far it seems not very common.

Still a 60kph scooter is a different beast entirely. Why buy that over a eBike? Its no longer something light/compact to do that end of commute stage. Its really in the area of eMopeds then.
    https://electrek.co/2018/06/07/electric-mopeds-use-is-booming-around-the-world-here-are-the-options-available-in-the-usa/

We should really be progressive and bring some new legislation in around these. That said it took years to get the cycling laws changed.

I think this makes sense:
    "Electric scooters have the setting that it requires an initial scoot by the user to begin motion therefore they require scooting for propulsion. Therefore if such scooters are to be used in any public place, again they do not require insurance and road tax as they are not a MPV"

If they had this scooter with the fat wheels and suspension but limited to 25kph and legal it would perfect for so many. Very exciting times ahead.

One of my routes is a canal towpath/Cycle way/. This thing would be perfect for it.

I think this makes sense:
    "Electric scooters have the setting that it requires an initial scoot by the user to begin motion therefore they require scooting for propulsion. Therefore if such scooters are to be used in any public place, again they do not require insurance and road tax as they are not a MPV"

Those bicycles with petrol motors need to be cycled to get them started. Same thing. Not legal. Garda stop them all the time.

If they had this scooter with the fat wheels and suspension but limited to 25kph and legal it would perfect for so many. Very exciting times ahead.

One of my routes is a canal towpath/Cycle way/. This thing would be perfect for it.

There is two wires under the deck and when you connect those, the top speed is limited at 25 km/h.

Those bicycles with petrol motors need to be cycled to get them started. Same thing. Not legal. Garda stop them all the time.

That's because they are basically mopeds... And use petrol instead of electricity. I'm not surprised.

Dualtron Thunder has fat wheels, suspension, speed can be limited, but cost roughly 3 and half grand ;)

That's because they are basically mopeds... And use petrol instead of electricity. I'm not surprised.

It interesting even though the scooter and the petrol motor bike start the same (push/cycle/scoot) start and in fact the scooter is faster, you only consider the bike as being a moped.

The law isn't how about it starts. Its about it stays moving. Thats what defines it.

I would say they are both moped. Probably the scooter is much faster considering the instant torque that an electric motor delivers.

Love to try one. Sounds mega. Some youTube vids of it online looks very impressive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,815 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

why not just get a moped? Or an eBike - what distance are we talking here?

Dualtron Thunder has fat wheels, suspension, speed can be limited, but cost roughly 3 and half grand ;)

You can remove restrictions from eBikes, Mopeds and motorbikes. Which suggests that a restricted scooter would be similar. If it was legal.

Only issue any scooter restricted or not, isn't legal on the road/cycle path.

...but cost roughly 3 and half grand ;)

Its a similar price for some ebikes.

Its a similar price for some ebikes.

Yes but scooter is much smaller and I can park it indoors in the hall and not risking that it will be stolen form shed. Ebike or moped doesnt fit in hallway...

Also scooter doesnt have a seat which is another big difference form other mopeds and electric mopeds...

My point was scooters might seems expensive until you realize Bikes and eBikes are similar prices.

My point was scooters might seems expensive until you realize Bikes and eBikes are similar prices.

That's true. Good ebike is between 3-5 grand. And I was considering it, but the size of scooter is more practical. I can fold it and slide it under my desk in the office. Or maybe even bring it on the Luas when folded and standing...

When I cycle to work, this is what's happening ... Get out the garden, open shed, open locks take out the bike, close shed, open the side gate... and all this takes about 5 mins...
    But scooter... just grab it in the hallway and ride out of the front door and on my way... :D
    And don't have to keep it in the yard in the office and worry about it, cos it's right under my desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,361 ✭✭✭✭ted1

When I cycle to work, this is what's happening ... Get out the garden, open shed, open locks take out the bike, close shed, open the side gate... and all this takes about 5 mins...
    But scooter... just grab it in the hallway and ride out of the front door and on my way... :D
    And don't have to keep it in the yard in the office and worry about it, cos it's right under my desk.

The main difference is one gives excercise the other one doesn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,815 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

That's true. Good ebike is between 3-5 grand. And I was considering it, but the size of scooter is more practical. I can fold it and slide it under my desk in the office. Or maybe even bring it on the Luas when folded and standing...

I'm sure you can get a decent eBike for 2K, and you'll get tax relief on the first 1000 (they should really increase that B2W threshold for eBikes, but that's a different discussion).

• Advertisement

I do that with my folding bike.

It's a lot more compact than these larger scooters.

Advertisement