Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 8th Amendment Part 2 - Mod Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Haha you must have missed the posts by the user who said that abortion KEEPS Them on the lowest rung of the ladder forever. Because not having to have babies they do not want, does not force them to better themselves and take themselves off that rung. And in fact the user also thought this was improved by removing social welfare, including child allowances and single parent allowances, from them too.

Essentially the Anjezë Gonxhe Bojaxhiu approach to social betterment. Keep them suffering, withholding alleviation of suffering, and the suffering will lead them to elevate themselves.

So yea, the user in question basically telling us that abortion is actually a means to keep the poor poor, the the lower classes lower, because only by having babies they do not want, and doing so without social welfare and financial aid, will they ever be motivated to do more, and be more.

Isn't it gas? If I had remained pregnant I would have had to decline the offer of a place in Trinity College to study midwifery. As it happens, I had to decline it the year after anyway due to financial constraints, but sure it's grand just stay pregnant, it'll all turn out ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

January wrote: »
    Isn't it gas? If I had remained pregnant I would have had to decline the offer of a place in Trinity College to study midwifery. As it happens, I had to decline it the year after anyway due to financial constraints, but sure it's grand just stay pregnant, it'll all turn out ok.

Not just turn out ok, but apparently if you do not remain pregnant you will have no other reason to expect more of yourself in life, and thus seek to better yourself!

Glad I am not female because apparently your only source of motivation and self betterment in life is to fulfill your role as a breeding machine. Without that you apparently just languish. So we are told by somewhere between a minimum of 1 and maximum of 1 boards users anyway.

How you even get out of bed in the morning is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Undividual

B0jangles wrote: »
    Undividual wrote: »
    You were doing so well until number 2.

To clarify:

1. Limited abortion is made legal, which this poster suggests will cause...

2. The Irish birthrate to drop significantly, (Don't think I said the birthrate would drop significantly, only that it is already below sustainable levels) which will lead to an uncontrolled...

3. Spike in immigration from India and China (Don't think I said immigration would increase), to the extent that...

4. Dubious cultural norms from said countries will become standard in Ireland (Definitely didn't say this.  I said that it could be practiced by people with ideas that don't match ours), causing...

5. Gender-selective abortion to be normalized (Definitely didn't say this.  Seems you just ascribed this statement to me based on who you think I am), leading to...

6. A significant gender imbalance in the Irish population in 20-40 years (Definitely didn't say this.  I said that I would prefer we looked at any potential problems of repealing the 8th in addition to any benefits), which means that...

7. Irish men will have to turn gay in order to find someone to have sex with (Definitely didn't say this.  I said that is a social outcome of China's One Child Policy in addition to China's preference for male offspring)?

I'm becoming pretty sickened by peoples' disingenuousness to be honest.  I wonder if you are even open to having your opinion on anything changed or even challenged. I think you are undermining yourself by claiming I am alt-right, as you should be able to refute extreme views with logic/evidence.

1.) I was mocking your (frankly insane) original post and your rebuttal of my open mockery is to correct the details?

2.) Going by the highlighted sentence  you're now admitting to having extreme views. (two can play at sematics btw)
    Are you an adult?  I am baffled by your inability to understand.  I was referring to your claim that I am alt-right. 

Label me whatever you want.  A true sign of an intellectual titan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

It happens, but look, you're missing the point to focus on that as I am not suggesting that women are queuing up to have very late stage abortions. Nor am I saying that repealing the 8th will result in that (and most of the users thanking your post know that by the way, trust me ;)).

The point is that you will often hear people make comments like: 'How dare you support a law that forces women to remain pregnant' or 'Every woman should be able to do WHATEVER she wants with her own body' etc etc but everybody (including those people) have a limit in mind at which they feel a woman should not be able to procure an abortion at. They may not admit it, but they do (I have many prochoice friends - haven't met one in my 40+ years that doesn't believe there should be a cut off point).

For some that point is 0, others 12 weeks, and others still it's 24, but beyond that, most (sane) people wouldn't support the legal availability of abortion (other than for therapeutic reasons of course) and would in fact very much support laws being in place that would make it illegal for abortionists like this lovely chap to set up offering late stage terminations.

But here's the crucial point: if those people (that pontificate to others that women should be able to do what they like with their own bodies) truly believed in body automony (as they claim) then they would support laws that made it legal for abortionists like Gosnell to legally offer his services but they wouldn't. So why then is it not okay to believe in laws that force a woman to remain pregnant at 12 weeks when they believe in laws that force women to remain pregnant at 38 weeks? Shouldn't they just take their own advice and mind their own business? And let women do what they want with their own bodies, like they keep telling others to do?

You see, the truth is that the reason some people support women legally being able to have an abortion at 12 weeks, has nothing at all to do with body automony. They may say it has, and post long convoluted arguments in an attempt to back it up and why it's okay for them to hold two contradictory positions, simultaneously, but it's nonsense. Such people are just trying to save face given that the body automony mantras are so ingrained in the prochoice movement and who can blame them.

No, the real reason some people support the legal availability of abortions at 12 weeks (or 16, 20 etc) is because of how they see the fetus with regards to it's development. We know this as that is the only thing that differs between a healthy woman who is pregnant at 12 weeks and a healthy woman pregnant that is almost due. So the body automony nonsense (with regards to pregnancy at least) needs to end. It's not helpful, nobody believes in it and all it does is distract away from what's really important here: the health of all concerned and the level of development which the fetus has reached.

Oh goody goody, Outlaw Pete regurgitating a OneEyedJack argument (and not a top tier one), we all must have died and gone to boards heaven ;):)

You generally oppose abortion Pete, right? But not in cases where the mother's life is at serious risk or, for example, where treatments such as chemotherapy would be prevented? So, do you really oppose abortion or do you just essentially not oppose it at a slightly different point on the spectrum to me? How can you come on here and pretend to vindicate the right to life of the unborn when in some cases you'd allow it? Just because those cases are vastly different to others, doesn't matter does it, you're a big old hypocrite aren't you? ;):)

Or gosh, maybe you do oppose abortion but this is rather a nuanced and complex question, and people taking that nuance and complexity into account when forming their opinions are doing the adult, intelligent thing and not being hypocritical?

And you don't need to bother answering, I actually know what you think and I'll just full in the gaps myself, believe me. ;);)

I apologise in advance for any thanks that this post may get, seeing as for some reason those really bug you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Undividual wrote: »
    Are you an adult? I am baffled by your inability to understand. I was referring to your claim that I am alt-right.

Label me whatever you want. A true sign of an intellectual titan.

Quote the post in which I said you were alt-right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭baylah17

It happens, but look, you're missing the point to focus on that as I am not suggesting that women are queuing up to have very late stage abortions. Nor am I saying that repealing the 8th will result in that (and most of the users thanking your post know that by the way, trust me ;)).

The point is that you will often hear people make comments like: 'How dare you support a law that forces women to remain pregnant' or 'Every woman should be able to do WHATEVER she wants with her own body' etc etc but everybody (including those people) have a limit in mind at which they feel a woman should not be able to procure an abortion at. They may not admit it, but they do (I have many prochoice friends - haven't met one in my 40+ years that doesn't believe there should be a cut off point).

For some that point is 0, others 12 weeks, and others still it's 24, but beyond that, most (sane) people wouldn't support the legal availability of abortion (other than for therapeutic reasons of course) and would in fact very much support laws being in place that would make it illegal for abortionists like this lovely chap to set up offering late stage terminations.

But here's the crucial point: if those people (that pontificate to others that women should be able to do what they like with their own bodies) truly believed in body automony (as they claim) then they would support laws that made it legal for abortionists like Gosnell to legally offer his services but they wouldn't. So why then is it not okay to believe in laws that force a woman to remain pregnant at 12 weeks when they believe in laws that force women to remain pregnant at 38 weeks? Shouldn't they just take their own advice and mind their own business? And let women do what they want with their own bodies, like they keep telling others to do?

You see, the truth is that the reason some people support women legally being able to have an abortion at 12 weeks, has nothing at all to do with body automony. They may say it has, and post long convoluted arguments in an attempt to back it up and why it's okay for them to hold two contradictory positions, simultaneously, but it's nonsense. Such people are just trying to save face given that the body automony mantras are so ingrained in the prochoice movement and who can blame them.

No, the real reason some people support the legal availability of abortions at 12 weeks (or 16, 20 etc) is because of how they see the fetus with regards to it's development. We know this as that is the only thing that differs between a healthy woman who is pregnant at 12 weeks and a healthy woman pregnant that is almost due. So the body automony nonsense (with regards to pregnancy at least) needs to end. It's not helpful, nobody believes in it and all it does is distract away from what's really important here: the health of all concerned and the level of development which the fetus has reached.

Oh goody goody, Outlaw Pete regurgitating a OneEyedJack argument (and not a top tier one), we all must have died and gone to boards heaven ;):)

You generally oppose abortion Pete, right? But not in cases where the mother's life is at serious risk or, for example, where treatments such as chemotherapy would be prevented? So, do you really oppose abortion or do you just essentially not oppose it at a slightly different point on the spectrum to me? How can you come on here and pretend to vindicate the right to life of the unborn when in some cases you'd allow it? Just because those cases are vastly different to others, doesn't matter does it, you're a big old hypocrite aren't you? ;):)

Or gosh, maybe you do oppose abortion but this is rather a nuanced and complex question, and people taking that nuance and complexity into account when forming their opinions are doing the adult, intelligent thing and not being hypocritical?

And you don't need to bother answering, I actually know what you think and I'll just full in the gaps myself, believe me. ;);)

I apologise in advance for any thanks that this post may get, seeing as for some reason those really bug you.
    Excellent post
    +10000

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Madscientist30

dudara wrote: »
    And I believe that these women have a right to choose.

And of course today they mostly DO have a right to choose. We even put it in the Constitution by referendum.

But because we are a bunch of hypocrites, the right to choose is disguised as a right to "travel and information". Information about abortion which without the 14th amendment was illegal. A right to travel to England specifically for an abortion in the 13th amendment, and yes, it is specifically for abortion or it would not be an exception under 40.3.3

But there are women who cannot travel - they are in prison, or Direct Provision, or already in hospital, or in a relationship which won't allow it, or just too broke to find a thousand euros...

They are the women we usually only know as letters: X, Y and so on.
    See thats the part I find so hard to fathom....if prolifers are really pro life then why are they not out there campaigning to repeal the 13th. They are curiously silent on that...one guy did say he agreed with it because otherwise it would be "inconvenient" for pregnant women to be arousing suspicion whenever they are going on their holidays....the mind truly boggles!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Nobody mentioned suing anybody. Where did you get that idea? Any why?
    You really are tripping over yourself to try to imply that the 8th had nothing to do with that case, when it was her doctors’ sworn testimony in court that the reason they did not withdraw life support was because of their uncertainty regarding the unborn’s right to life.
    When the high court judges gave their ruling, they discussed in detail the 8th amendment and how it applied in this situation. Yet you maintain it was a stunt orchestrated by doctors from multiple hospitals, hospital legal departments, and presumably high court judges. And you expect people to take you seriously? You are either blind to the facts, or stupid, and I hope it is the latter. In case it is the former, and really hoping for your enlightenment, here is the transcript of the case, with some of the relevant parts quoted.

http://www.courts.ie/Judgments.nsf/09859e7a3f34669680256ef3004a27de/fb8a5c76857e08ce80257dcb003fd4e6?OpenDocument

“It is the view of the Court that, while the ordinary common understanding of what in context was involved in the referendum which led to the present wording of Article 40.3.3, particularly insofar as it mandates due regard to the equal right to life of the mother, was to protect the legal position created in Ireland by s. 58 of the Offences Against the Person Act 1861, the provision, in its plain and ordinary meaning may also be seen as acknowledging in simple terms the right to life of the unborn which the State, as far as practicable, shall by its laws defend and vindicate. This does not mean that the Court discounts or disregards the mother’s right to retain in death her dignity with proper respect for her autonomy with due regard to the grief and sorrow of her loved ones and their wishes. Such an approach has been the hallmark of civilised societies from the dawn of time. It is a deeply ingrained part of our humanity and may be seen as necessary both for those who have died and also for the sake of those who remain living and who must go on. The Court therefore is unimpressed with any suggestion that considerations of the dignity of the mother are not engaged once she has passed away.

However, when the mother who dies is bearing an unborn child at the time of her death, the rights of that child, who is living, and whose interests are not necessarily inimical to those just expressed, must prevail over the feelings of grief and respect for a mother who is no longer living.

The question then becomes one of how far the Court should go in terms of trying to vindicate that right in the particular circumstances which arise here.

No one was going to sue anyone, as you agree, the unborn was nowhere near the stage of survival outside the womb when she died, so what happened was a stunt, otherwise why do it when the mother was dead, and the unborn had no hope of surviving...
    There was zero need for the medical team to go to the courts, unless they thought there was a point to prove. The only thing they proved was how cruel they were to a dead woman and her family, and to use the 8th amendment to try and make some legal point - which they failed to do was a stunt and a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

All the NIMBY's including Pete are pro-choice even if they don't realise it. They just have a constraint that you must be able to afford it and if your circumstances don't permit that then tough ALTHOUGH if you are lucky enough to know or be related to Pete he claims he will financially support you to have an an abortion.

See thats the part I find so hard to fathom....if prolifers are really pro life then why are they not out there campaigning to repeal the 13th. They are curiously silent on that...one guy did say he agreed with it because otherwise it would be "inconvenient" for pregnant women to be arousing suspicion whenever they are going on their holidays....the mind truly boggles!

To be fair, there are some absolute fruitloops from the Centre for Bio-Ethical Reform (I think that's the name, I'm not googling the cúnts) who were attempting to picket Cork and Dublin airports with placards and stuff to "discourage" women from travelling.

Outside of that lunatic fringe, nobody on the pro-life side ACTUALLY believes that ending the life of a foetus is in any meaningful way equivalent to ending the life of a baby. If they really do believe that and they're not there picketing, shame on them. I would be. If I was a fcuking idiot, but at least I'd be a morally consistent one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

RobertKK wrote:
    what happened was a stunt, otherwise why do it when the mother was dead, and the unborn had no hope of surviving... There was zero need for the medical team to go to the courts, unless they thought there was a point to prove. The only thing they proved was how cruel they were to a dead woman and her family, and to use the 8th amendment to try and make some legal point - which they failed to do was a stunt and a disgrace.
    But they couldn't end her life because the foetus was still alive.
    Their hands were tied by the 8th amendment. They had to go through the courts.

RobertKK wrote: »
    No one was going to sue anyone, as you agree, the unborn was nowhere near the stage of survival outside the womb when she died, so what happened was a stunt, otherwise why do it when the mother was dead, and the unborn had no hope of surviving...
    There was zero need for the medical team to go to the courts, unless they thought there was a point to prove. The only thing they proved was how cruel they were to a dead woman and her family, and to use the 8th amendment to try and make some legal point - which they failed to do was a stunt and a disgrace.

Because the 8th amendment SUCKS.

It's badly worded, there were copious warnings when it was mooted that it would lead to all sorts of scenarios like that. Which is partly why almost every religious institution in the country (guess which one supported it, go on) opposed its insertion into the constitution, along with myriad other bodies in Ireland.

Doctors are not lawyers. It is not reasonable to expect doctors to put themselves at significant professional risk by interpreting an ambiguous, wooly, highly contentious piece of constitutional law which has ended up in the courts regularly since its inception. There was no precedent for that case, they needed guidance. "Follow the spirit of the law and stop drawing attention to how disastrous the word of the law is" is what you're telling them.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Madscientist30

Nobody mentioned suing anybody. Where did you get that idea? Any why?
    You really are tripping over yourself to try to imply that the 8th had nothing to do with that case, when it was her doctors’ sworn testimony in court that the reason they did not withdraw life support was because of their uncertainty regarding the unborn’s right to life.
    When the high court judges gave their ruling, they discussed in detail the 8th amendment and how it applied in this situation. Yet you maintain it was a stunt orchestrated by doctors from multiple hospitals, hospital legal departments, and presumably high court judges. And you expect people to take you seriously? You are either blind to the facts, or stupid, and I hope it is the latter. In case it is the former, and really hoping for your enlightenment, here is the transcript of the case, with some of the relevant parts quoted.

http://www.courts.ie/Judgments.nsf/09859e7a3f34669680256ef3004a27de/fb8a5c76857e08ce80257dcb003fd4e6?OpenDocument

“It is the view of the Court that, while the ordinary common understanding of what in context was involved in the referendum which led to the present wording of Article 40.3.3, particularly insofar as it mandates due regard to the equal right to life of the mother, was to protect the legal position created in Ireland by s. 58 of the Offences Against the Person Act 1861, the provision, in its plain and ordinary meaning may also be seen as acknowledging in simple terms the right to life of the unborn which the State, as far as practicable, shall by its laws defend and vindicate. This does not mean that the Court discounts or disregards the mother’s right to retain in death her dignity with proper respect for her autonomy with due regard to the grief and sorrow of her loved ones and their wishes. Such an approach has been the hallmark of civilised societies from the dawn of time. It is a deeply ingrained part of our humanity and may be seen as necessary both for those who have died and also for the sake of those who remain living and who must go on. The Court therefore is unimpressed with any suggestion that considerations of the dignity of the mother are not engaged once she has passed away.

However, when the mother who dies is bearing an unborn child at the time of her death, the rights of that child, who is living, and whose interests are not necessarily inimical to those just expressed, must prevail over the feelings of grief and respect for a mother who is no longer living.

The question then becomes one of how far the Court should go in terms of trying to vindicate that right in the particular circumstances which arise here.

They did it because there were afraid of being prosecuted or fired. Because of the 8th. That's why? If you were the doctor in that situation you would just have halted life support not a bother would you, given the 8th?

They were afraid of being prosecuted because of the 8th amendment. Nothing to do with being sued but the possibility of their careers going down the pan if they had turned off that life support machine without consulting lawyers who then said 'because of the ambiguity of the 8th we're going to have to make an order to the high court to let them decide what they think the meaning of this law is'.

Even the ****ing Iona Institute didn't come out and say this was a publicity stunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Fake news, Martina.
    The whole thing was clearly a hospital wide publicity stunt.
    The doctors and nurses actually had a lot of free time on their hands during shifts, its not like they're overworked and underpaid or anything like that.
    They were obviously having a slow day at the office and came up with the conspiracy just to suit their own agenda and for a bit of entertainment.
    Why else would they do it?
    Just ask Robert. This is the only legitimate scenario where this disaster might have come about :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

Again with the talk of suing:confused:

So it was a stunt because the foetus was so far from viability. Right.
    So at what stage would it be reasonable to keep a brain dead woman incubating a foetus? 17 weeks? 20? 24? Do we need to go to the courts each time for guidance, or do the family and the medical team get to decide, regardless of the constitution’s and the high court opinion that we must try to vindicate the right to life? And what of the case where a foetus did survive to birth from a similar gestational age? Does that case not inform us when making the decision? All very simple questions in your parallel universe where everything is black and white and the difficult questions only arise because of conspiracies among the medical and legal profession and the judiciary.

And incredible that it took several sittings of the high court and several days of deliberation by the best legal minds in this country to answer.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

The 8th is an overly broad and poorly formulated constitutional provision that's ended up allowing the very thing it was meant to ban, but according to you, it's the doctors and hospitals that were at fault here. Those are some pretty powerful rose tinted glasses you're wearing.

Out of curiosity, do you see any flaws at all with the 8th?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

The irony in these posts, honestly.

First of all, those who are against abortion are not just men, and so what's all this nonsense about men wanting to control women all about? For me comments like that are really masks slipping. Is the desire for the right to abort healthy fetuses really just about getting back at men? For some, sadly, it would seem it is.

Secondly, and more importantly, this whole nonsense about control itself is laughable and shows a total lack of self awareness on the part of those who are prochoice. Let's not forget, that the choice you all want to have, includes (and represents 95%+ of those who generally procure abortions in western countries - not that you'd think it reading these threads) the choice for healthy women (who are pregnant from consensual sex) to able to legally have the baby in their womb pulled limb from limb, have it's skull crushed, heartbeat stilled and it's bloody broken remains binned (or sold, depending on where you live). Now, tell me, who's "controlling" who there?

This isn't about the right for women to do what the want with "their" bodies. This is about the right for women to be able to do what they want with another body. That of their developing young. Here's a real woman. A woman excited by the baby moving (and not just autonomically) inside her. A woman not wanting to kill it in the name of women's rights.

That reminds me of my 12 week scan, I was delighted to see the baby moving about, a proper baby shape, you could make out limbs and see and hear the heartbeat.

But here's the bit you won't like. I went for my scan in the Beacon Clinic where I was getting a NIPT. A Panorama test to be precise. We wanted the baby, but I was very aware of the fact that I was over 40, hadn't been taking folic acid and had literally "fallen pregnant" without much trying. The chances of a chromosomal disorder or FFA were far higher than a woman in her early 30s say, so I wanted to make sure that I had all the available knowledge rather than getting ambushed at a 20 week anomaly scan.

If I had been told that the chances of a significant problem were going to be high, I would have been booking flights that afternoon. No question. I'm one of the lucky ones, I can afford testing and I have a fully supportive husband, who would have been 100% on the same page. In our view, it would be the most selfish thing in the world to bring a profoundly disabled child into the world, a couple in our 40's who don't have family support close by, or any other children for sibling support, so when we died we would be leaving our disabled child alone with scant state support. We certainly couldn't rely on the likes of LoveBoth or any other ProBirth organisation, once that baby is out of the womb they don't give a rats ar$e.

I loved all my scans too, on the pregnancies I wanted to keep. They were exciting. Doesn't change the fact that I dreaded the unwanted pregnancy at all and it doesn't make me a monster either that I hated feeling that movement inside me and yes, I did feel movement very early on in my 5th pregnancy around 7-8 weeks (note I'm saying movement not the fetus moving because I know it wasn't the fetus moving voluntarily).

You can use emotion all you want but when you've had a wanted pregnancy yes, of course, you're excited about things like scans and movement but when it's unplanned/unwanted you just feel uncertainty at the beginning and that's even when you decide to carry on with the pregnancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

Can I just address something that was on the previous page, I think by undividual?

Yes, population rates are falling in western countries. This is not because of abortion. This is because couples are choosing to have children later in life, thus the window for having children is narrowed. It is because both parents are choosing to work rather than have one parent as a stay-at-home carer, and therefore childcare costs increase exponentially for each additional child. So people are choosing to have less children (or none at all) and that is what is decreasing the population rates.

• Advertisement

I don't think this poll is indicative of the entire voting population of Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Surprise surprise, you didn’t answer the simple yes or no question. Let’s give you another chance. Had the 8th amendment not been in force, would this “stunt” have happened? Simple question, really simple. Yes or no.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

I don't think this poll is indicative of the entire voting population of Ireland

Of course not.

Boards is generally more liberal than the norm, which given the bile we often see on AH is pleasantly surprising.

However, the marriage equality polling wasn't too far from the reality in the end IIRC.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I don't think anyone is saying it is

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

According to some it's not even indicative of the voting population of Boards...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,178 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

According to some it's not even indicative of the voting population of Boards...

who comprises these "some"?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

So a dead person is alive?
    It was only machines being used and even according to evidence given in the court, they were failing to maintain her...

Their hands were tied with the want to make her an example so they could argue this happened because of the 8th amendment.
    It was even said in court the unborn life had no chance of survival, just accept that woman was used, and the only people tying hands were the medical people who used her and her family to try and make a legal point about the 8th, which they failed to do...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

who comprises these "some"?

probably the same "some" that will like everyone's staunch pro-life posts but not dare post themselves because they know if they did they'd be banned within minutes.

Pro-lifers thus far (bar a few actual good solid debatable posts mind you) have contributed mostly controversial drivel designed to stir a reaction only to pass it off super defensively as a "view".

They will then go off and spout out how they're being oppressed and how they're not made feel welcome here.

Kinda like how they make the women seeking these abortions feel.

It was only machines being used and even according to evidence given in the court, they were failing to maintain her...

Their hands were tied with the want to make her an example so they could argue this happened because of the 8th amendment.
    It was even said in court the unborn life had no chance of survival, just accept that woman was used, and the only people tying hands were the medical people who used her and her family to try and make a legal point about the 8th, which they failed to do...

Just accept you're wrong and an absolutely despicable person for even thinking Irish medical professionals would use a woman on life support and her family like that.

The foetus was still alive in her body. They could not turn off the life support because they were unsure of the consequences if they turned it off and the foetus died.

I actually had some respect for the way you were debating things up until now but Jesus christ I'm sickened now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

Are you suggesting a deceased woman who was denied an abortion is being "used"?

Are you aware how disrespectful this sounds is to her family members who may actually be on Boards reading this?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement