Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

school closures

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

acequion wrote: »

But I'm gobsmacked re that speech from your departing DP. Did he /she actually make that comment about the cars in all seriousness??:eek: Jeez talk about school turning into production centres!

Yeah, he sure did. I'm not sure he thought through the deeper aspects of the message he was sending out. Given the traditional reliance on goodwill in teaching where all class preparation is done and tacitly expected to be done in your spare uncontracted time irrespective of your family or personal circumstances it was a poorly thought out remark.

Croke Park hours are enough of an insult to that but at least that was a rough civil service solution for across all sectors which ill-fitted teaching which relies so much on extra free work already. Those who drafted those ideas has the excuse of not knowing their arse from their elbow on the matter in question. But this guy should have known better than to be perceived to be judging work-ethic on the basis of where you car is located at a given time.

The irony was that the same day the Principal told a "hilarious" story about finding (when he was DP himself and there was a different Principal) unmarked exam scripts in a press in the summer three weeks after the reports had gone out. The offending teacher was the departing DP himself who was a few minutes later prattling on about the connection between work-ethic and car location. He might not have been arsed to mark the scripts but he was probably in the school at the time on some committee or other, or taking some team or whatever which helped him to climb the greasy pole in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Why don't you read my other posts before commenting evolving_doors! In fact as mod are you not supposed to read all the posts??

So here's a summary. The ONLY reason I would give lunchtime classes is to make life easier for MYSELF by getting the course done.

Still sets a precedent amongst staff.

I'd equate lunchtimes with Easter holidays.
    In fact lunchtime should be even more sacrosanct as you mightnt have a break the whole day. And that's U.N.healthy.
    That's fine too if you're making things easier for yourself but you know how it goes:

Mr. Acequion is giving lunchtime classes Miss:
    Are we getting lunchtime classes?
    Is he behind on the course?
    Are we behind?
    Are we ahead?
    English is one hell of a broad subject and disruption to class time can really set you back. But I hate giving up my lunchtimes and have always been opposed to the practice of offering freebies,even extra curricular. But if it's a toss up between doing a few lunch times or being under huge pressure to cover stuff in every class then I'll take the lunchtimes.

You could easily say the same for many subjects, not just English.
    And again if you read my posts you'd see that I said my school is so big you can do such things discreetly without everybody or even anybody knowing.

I know the way it goes, but students talk and it can get out, especially within the same department where there's more than one class of the same year.

But if ever any other teacher felt pressures as a result I would stop it on the spot!!

I'm very fond of and very committed to my students but this is not the developing world. They can go out and pay for extra tuition if they want it and if they can't afford it that's not my problem. They should also pay a small fee towards extra curriculars and voluntary teachers should receive a modest stipend for doing them imo.

Ah ya I've no doubt you're committed and I have done extra lunchtimes before. But it was in relation to your concerns about precedent.

We all know it's a stretch to get everything done 100% but I have a sneaking suspicion that the school year is going to be lengthened.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭political analyst

Powerhouse wrote: »
    I think it is important to read the article and check what the sources are. When you do that you realise that all it is is the journalist in question whipping out the relevant circular and using it to apparently give weight to absolute speculation. The article has, in actual fact. zero credibility. When the Minister, rather than a random journalist, says it you may begin to take it seriously.

I would say in reality that there is zero chance of the Dept of Ed calling on extra days to be done over Easter especially at such short notice when dates for projects, orals etc. as well as personal arrangements during the holidays already decided. And especially when the call was made because of a red alert and schools were not left with the choice for two of the days.

I certainly know that I'd hardly have half my own classes coming in over Easter if this happened. I have several times over the years brought LC students in over Easter and never had I more than half of them.

Agreed.

I guess the article is a non-story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭janes1234

In fact lunchtime should be even more sacrosanct as you mightnt have a break the whole day. And that's U.N.healthy.
    That's fine too if you're making things easier for yourself but you know how it goes:

Are we behind?
    Are we ahead?

I know the way it goes, but students talk and it can get out, especially within the same department where there's more than one class of the same year.

Ah ya I've no doubt you're committed and I have done extra lunchtimes before. But it was in relation to your concerns about precedent.

We all know it's a stretch to get everything done 100% but I have a seeking suspicion that the school year is going to be lengthened.

If school year is lengthened I and many many more will be out. I can't wait for that one.

I dont see it happening personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭acequion

Are we behind?
    Are we ahead?

We all know it's a stretch to get everything done 100% but I have a seeking suspicion that the school year is going to be lengthened.

Point taken and it's Ms acequion. :pac:

And ya you are right that in most ways it does equate to the same thing. Though I would completely disagree re equating lunchtimes with Easter. Easter is official school holidays and all Irish schools are officially closed. Start opening them for this and that and hols quickly become eroded. It would be like starting Saturday or even Sunday tuition. And indeed lunchtimes are also sacrosanct. I absolutely hate doing anything other than having my lunch and zoning out on my lunchtime.

So far though, I know for a fact that no collegue has ever felt under any pressure to do the same as me and hey I would only do this sort of thing once in a blue moon! But you have got me thinking and I mean it when I say I wouldn't dream of doing anything that would put a collegue under pressure. There is more than enough pressure as it is.

When you say that the school year will be lengthened do you mean this one or in general? Because if you mean in general,I fully, but sadly agree. Our summer holidays will definitely be shortened and even more quickly if people go around shouting out this ludicrous,even if true,notion that teachers are really only entitled to 30 days. I'll be able to retire in 5 years,you younger guys are utter eejits if you don't fight tooth and nail for your holidays! Re this year, I don't see where they'd have scope to lengthen it. Like Easter, it's too late at this point as many people have other plans made. Though watch someone come along and say we really aren't on holidays then either! :confused:

• Advertisement

janes1234 wrote: »
    If school year is lengthened I and many many more will be out. I can't wait for that one.

I dont see it happening personally.

Maybe not lengthen the school term but move inservices, CPD etc to outside school time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Maybe not lengthen the school term but move inservices, CPD etc to outside school time.

Aren't we there though with all these W.O.W. webinars for example for junior cycle on at 7pm at night? If it's THAT important why isn't it scheduled at a time and in a medium EVERYONE can access ?

I am not adverse to voluntary CDP - I am a member of the most active subject association in the country and attend a 2day conference annually in my own time along with local branch meetings. I do resent missing out on CDP like this though. 7pm is inaccessible to me.

Aren't we there though with all these W.O.W. webinars for example for junior cycle on at 7pm at night? If it's THAT important why isn't it scheduled at a time and in a medium EVERYONE can access ?

I am not adverse to voluntary CDP - I am a member of the most active subject association in the country and attend a 2day conference annually in my own time along with local branch meetings. I do resent missing out on CDP like this though. 7pm is inaccessible to me.

The live wow isn't really mandatory though you can catch a recording after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

The bullshít paperwork and courses are certainly eating into quality of life. Despite my complaint here a couple of years ago about doing numerous "child protection" in-services, I just did another one last week in the form of that 2-hour 'Children First' website one that we all have to do. Downloaded "certificate", attached to email and sent it to the principal. Another box ticked by me, and by the principal. After so many previous child protection courses with precisely the same content, ticking those boxes is the only thing that matters here. Make no mistake about the mentality governing educational policy now. More substantially in terms of time, my existing LC projects take a considerable amount of after school correction time, helping each student fine tune draft after draft.

In terms of personal after school time all these JC assessments, even if they're not as important as LC projects, have precisely the same consequence: much more of our after school time will be spent, except now it's on filling in numerous boxes on paperwork and essentially being glorified clerical officers making sure each strand and each nuance of each aspect of the course gets signed off. So far with the aims and objectives it has an eerie JCSP feel about it: everybody's happy if you just fill in those forms.

If this whole new English-style JC is going to eat into personal quality of life it will ultimately encounter a similar fate of class teaching time being used to do the bureaucracy. The Polyanna Helen 'Won't anybody think of the children' Lovejoy types with their enthusiasm for giving more of their private lives to ticking all these boxes should perhaps have a few little children of their own and that would soften their coughs. This week, for instance, your "days off" from school because of the weather would be countered by childcare centres being closed and therefore you'd be a full-time carer on these supposed "days off".

At my 7pm webinar this evening, for instance, I had the joy of two toddlers in the same room, one of whom was fascinated by the touchscreen aspect of the laptop.... As for having a webinar at any time, any time at home is, without exaggeration, not suitable. By 9pm when the kids are all asleep my day is physically and mentally over and I go to sleep too, expecting to be awoken several times during the night (as just happened) and then awake for 6:45am so kids are in crèche between 7:30 and 7:50. The kids are collected before 18:30, when crèche closes, so the only time for school work is between those hours - and a 50-hour working week for a teacher is more than enough, thank you very much.

And what's the betting that after all these English-style "reforms" come in the next big outrage about education is falling standards? If the bureaucrats expect to increase our arse-covering/box-ticking workload hugely and not expect us to lower the threshold on quality of work (after all, it takes much more work from the teacher to keep standards high) they don't really understand human nature or the limits on human energy levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

One other thing, people, including some teachers, seem to be under the impression that our holidays are something we should be grateful for. Why? We're paying for them. We are paid only for the work we do: 167 days at secondary level. That the payment is spread across the year does not mean "teachers are paid for their holidays".

Out of all the people in my group in final degree year I'm paid the least. Through doing different postgrads they all are in careers - mostly law, accountancy, HR, business and IT consultancy - where they have far more opportunities for promotion than a teacher would have. By career end the difference in their total career income and mine will be enormous. They'll also be able to take advantage of far more tax-deductible pension schemes and thus have a much better pension than I will have.

I don't think some teachers realise how much their holidays actually cost them financially. We have the best holidays - that's the exchange - but please dispel any illusions you might have that we're not paying for them. Our holidays are not a "bonus", they are an absolutely essential part of the financial conditions of why we chose teaching over the far more lucrative professions we could have joined. They're struggling to find people to become teachers with the current holidays; imagine how hard it would be if those holidays weren't part of the package.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭ASISEEIT

Jeez i cant see schools open Monday !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

ASISEEIT wrote: »

Was just thinking the same thing.

I had posted a few days ago about putting content up for kids and nobody looking at it - well that has seriously changed as of today. There's a fair percentage of them online today submitting work and completing quizzes, in fairness.

Oh don't even go there!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭techteacher

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Was just thinking the same thing.

I had posted a few days ago about putting content up for kids and nobody looking at it - well that has seriously changed as of today. There's a fair percentage of them online today submitting work and completing quizzes, in fairness.

online is the way to go especially if monday closures come...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭ASISEEIT

• Registered Users Posts: 48,141 ✭✭✭✭km79

Jesus i don't think anyone wants that :(

Are all you guys over east? Because here in the south west it's not bad at all. Lots of cars out and I've just been out for a walk. There's snow but it's light and the roads and footpaths are grand.

So, I certainly hope to be back to normal by Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,141 ✭✭✭✭km79

Are all you guys over east? Because here in the south west it's not bad at all. Lots of cars out and I've just been out for a walk. There's snow but it's light and the roads and footpaths are grand.

So, I certainly hope to be back to normal by Monday.

I'm between Athenry and loughrea
    All roads impassable

km79 wrote: »
    I'm between Athenry and loughrea
    All roads impassable

It's only Friday evening yet. A long way to go until Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Was forecast to get better Saturday and thaw a lot Sunday.

I reckon it'll be fine Monday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

All schools? Or schools in certain areas of the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭techteacher

will only be some schools all principals will decide sunday evening after the news..

will only be some schools all principals will decide sunday evening after the news..

Thank you. Schools will close by local arrangement. Good and wise decision. But it won't help me, unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Completely snowed in in Clondalkin. But I think it will be well gone by Monday morning.

Snowed in, in North Clare. It's still snowing. I have never seen weather like this the in 53 years of my life. There's no thaw either.

I know it's only Friday but.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Yes heavy snow non stop for the past 48 hours and counting here. Unbelievable scenes. Can't get out of the estate. But the charts show a big thaw by Saturday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Can't see that happening in the north west. We've had hardly any snow, if it wasn't for media coverage, it wouldn't have been a relatively normal day of snow here. 95% of it is gone where I am.

Aineoil wrote: »
    Snowed in, in North Clare. It's still snowing. I have never seen weather like this the in 53 years of my life. There's no thaw either.

I know it's only Friday but.......

I'm not much older than you Aineoil but I can remember this type of weather back in my childhood. We'd get snow way more often than now plus the freezing temps and burst pipes. I've several old photos of us all with snowmen and throwing snowballs. It's the way the media hypes stuff up nowadays I think :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Aineoil wrote: »
    All schools? Or schools in certain areas of the country?

There's no question of all schools closing unless there's a nationwide status red. But looking at the general weather picture I'd be surprised if some schools are not affected even though there will hardly be a status red on Monday. That said the forecasts,or at least the reaction to them, do seem to be a bit behind the curve. The status red has been extended a few times now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

I'm in one of blip areas that had absolutely nothing Tues night Wed and even beyond 4pm yesterday. But it started snowing here about 7.30 yesterday and 24 hours on it is still snowing stopped for about an hour / hour & half at about 6.30 but snowing again. If it stays snowing it will takjr some thaw tomorrow and Sunday to make all the back roads passable. And a thaw that quick can only result in flooding, esp with frozen ground. Other thing to consider is even though we'd no snow we did loose water supply

Advertisement