Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

school closures

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭techteacher

Powerhouse wrote: »
    Gpt a text from someone who was in Blanchardstiown Shopping Centre and they said that some of the carparks are closed and others are chaotic with piles of snow reducing capacity and causing problems for traffic progress. There'll be some schools somewhere closed for such reasons I'm sure. If a place which processes as much money - with associated easier access to facilities - as that Shopping Centre are struggling to get back to normal some schools will struggle too.

yes that is a strong possibility we are open but there is no car parking...which means arranging a lift to school..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭acequion

C__MC wrote: »
    Has any schools been confirmed shut for tomorrow?

Mine has just confirmed by text that we're open. [Co. Kerry]

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭ASISEEIT

:PLet this thread die like the snow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

ASISEEIT wrote: »
    :PLet this thread die like the snow!

Oh it hasn't gone away you know
    hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭emo72

My kids school in lucan is opening tomorrow. Was just down there. The roads are clear but the paths are not. Everyone was walking on the road. What's going to happen if the paths are still blocked tomorrow? I'd be worried.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

emo72 wrote: »
    My kids school in lucan is opening tomorrow. Was just down there. The roads are clear but the paths are not. Everyone was walking on the road. What's going to happen if the paths are still blocked tomorrow? I'd be worried.

If the paths are as bad in the morning as they are now where I am I'll hardly ask my kids to walk to school where half the students will be missing anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

Schools in arklow are closed tomorrow.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Looking at some photos from Co. Wexford, I can't see some places being able to open.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭lmullen

All primary and secondary schools closed in Maynooth. Secondary closed in Prosperous. Both north Kildare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

emo72 wrote: »

Paths are easy enough cleared by the maintainence staff if they're not too long.
    It would be more about the car park for staff... if that's covered then ice could be a risk underneath.
    If they can park nearby (shopping centre!) and there's no plumbing issues in the school it'd be all good to go... maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

We are closed. So are all the schools around us.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,141 ✭✭✭✭km79

We are closed. So are all the schools around us.

Where ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

km79 wrote: »
    Where ?

South West Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

Closed too. South West Dublin. Eight foot drifts all around the school. Footpaths and roads still not cleared. No bus service running to the school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Paths are easy enough cleared by the maintainence staff if they're not too long.
    It would be more about the car park for staff... if that's covered then ice could be a risk underneath.
    If they can park nearby (shopping centre!) and there's no plumbing issues in the school it'd be all good to go... maybe.[/QUOTE

Sorry, when you say maintenance staff who do you mean? If it's council maintenance staff they'll hardly get to all footpaths before morning. If it's school maintenance staff then they'll hardly clear footpaths in housing estates all around the area.

Not every school is beside a shopping centre.

A friend of mine showed me a text sent from his school advising that it will be open in the morning. It advised students that they were not to cycles to school as the bike yard would be unavailable and to bring spare socks and trousers "in case of falls" - if the parents/students needed an excuse to not attend tomorrow they just got one from that text!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

My school must be near enough both of yours in SW D, we're closed, was surprised tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

We're open in north Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

Schools are often old and struggling to function on a normal day with many pre fab buildings. Add huge amounts of snow to the mix and they become an accident waiting to happen.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

fall wrote: »
    Schools are often old and struggling to function on a normal day with many pre fab buildings. Add huge amounts of snow to the mix and they become an accident waiting to happen.

True. Ours is freezing most of the time. Our coldest building was only built in 2012 which is infuriating. Couldn't imagine being in there in the snow.

Advertisement