Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Hell Real ?

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,118 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Chemical addiction.

What like dihydrogen monoxide?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Pherekydes wrote: »
    What like dihydrogen monoxide?

Yes :D of the beatha variety

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭harrylittle

Chemical addiction.

If I give up chocolate I become really grumpy, can you tell me which demon I can blame, the blighter!

I don't see to many people homeless because of chocolate .. and chemical addiction may have some role to play ... but the main factor is demonic / evil spirit possession.

Just look at the roots of the word pharmacy and its connection with the spiritual side (denoting the administration of drugs) originated : from Old French farmacie, via medieval Latin from Greek pharmakeia – properly, drug-related sorcery, like the practice of magical-arts, i.e. (by extension) magic (literally or figuratively) -- sorcery, witchcraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

I don't see to many people homeless because of chocolate .. and chemical addiction may have some role to play ... but the main factor is demonic / evil spirit possession.

Just look at the roots of the word pharmacy and its connection with the spiritual side (denoting the administration of drugs) originated : from Old French farmacie, via medieval Latin from Greek pharmakeia – properly, drug-related sorcery, like the practice of magical-arts, i.e. (by extension) magic (literally or figuratively) -- sorcery, witchcraft.
    But you understand that magic isn't real right?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Not to mention that the etymology of words that came from a time of superstition and woo do not imply ACTUAL magic and supernatural goings on related to things we use those words for today.

"There must be magic because look, the word itself has it's roots in magical thinking" is a line of NON thinking I do not think will prove anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Something for the omnipresent to fear! Or ,understand and rise above,either way, the omnipresent has a puzzler on it's hands.

"There must be magic because look, the word itself has it's roots in magical thinking" is a line of NON thinking I do not think will prove anything.

Yeah, that reasoning tells a lot, but, you know believe him, because... er, why was that again? :confused:

King Mob wrote: »
    But you understand that magic isn't real right?

I disagree ... The top magicians world wide the likes of david blaine or copperfield ....summon demons to help them out by moving, hiding or even reading something .. as we in the flesh cant see these demons moving around on stage carrying out these tricks .. we think its magic.

I disagree ... The top magicians world wide the likes of david blaine or copperfield ....summon demons to help them out by moving, hiding or even reading something .. as we in the flesh cant see these demons moving around on stage carrying out these tricks .. we think its magic.

insane-4.jpg

Yeah, that reasoning tells a lot, but, you know believe him, because... er, why was that again? :confused:

The reason drugs was used in magic, witchcraft ect is because drugs connects the brain to the underworld ...something along the lines of computers connecting to the current internet were drugs connects the mind into hell's internet.

The more potent the drug the greater the download speed on hells internet. Thats why they call weed the gate way drug ...its a weak drug but still able to connect to hells internet ..abit like the old dial up internet connections that were around 15 years ago ..slow to download but it gets there eventually.

So a person on weed downloads the first wave of evil spirits into their system. These evil spirits entice and cajole that person the try even more powerfull drugs by given them greater highs . The stronger the drug the higher the download speed the stonger the evil spirits are downloaded and the greater grip hell has on that person.

Eventually that person is led to the most powerfull drugs like heroine , bat salts ect which on hells internet is the equivalent to high speed fiber optic cable ...were hell has full live access to these people ..not only downloading crap / evil spirits and demons into these people but gradually uploading these people minds, bodies and souls to hell and the life is drained out of these drug users fairly quickly. That's why you see these serious drug users going around like zombies with there minds bodies and souls being drained out of them.

Its no coincidence that the worlds most lethal drug is called devils breath...Scopolamine, also known as "The Devil's Breath." It's a substance so intense that it renders a person incapable of exercising free will.

• Advertisement

The reason drugs was used in magic, witchcraft ect is because drugs connects the brain to the underworld ...

You state this like it's fact. It is of course horse manure.

The more potent the drug the greater the download speed on hells internet. Thats why they call weed the gate way drug...

No, it simply isn't.

Sorry, I genuinely stopped reading there. If the rest of your paragraph starts to make sense I'm sure someone will tell me.

But, seek help or higher dosage.

But no. It's not magic. Because magic isn't real.

But how do you know that magic exists?

Do you need demons to pull off this: https://g.redditmedia.com/JPPzbrNMmUZifWbmQLOEcqXok1GFSl7ZGmoaU1BdHCI.gif?w=320&

• Registered Users Posts: 34,083 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Lol.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

So, many pages later we have learned that:

1) Hell is really real, because a Youtube video.
    2) Drug users are really in communion with demons.
    3) Magicians really use demons to perform tricks (Really? If I could summon a demon to do my will it'd be for more than to make a f*ckin' rabbit disappear).
    4) This nonsense can really be strung out over 15 pages.

Quod Erat Demonstrandum, I'd say.

5) The etymology of words can be used in lieu of evidence related to reality.

Actually it is amazing how people pretending to be taking a scientific approach to life can come out with egregious nonsense about the demons and powers behind magic tricks. For example there is a simple trick one can perform, and I have done it myself often, where you can make a piece of news paper seemingly go up in flames merely from the power of your mind or whatever.

It is an amazingly simple trick to perform however. But someone pretending to know science methodologies (but demonstrably doesn't) comes to this atheist forum with a you tube video of someone performing that exact trick. But demands we prove that THIS person is doing a trick and is not actually using magical powers.

So 1000s of people can do the trick and know how it is done, but because one user of this forum thinks it is magic in one particular case, suddenly we have to prove the opposite, and it is not magical powers of chi or whatever?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

T Except that you will never enter the Kingdom of God.
    If you, and people like you, will be there, then I am totally ok with this.

MrP

5) The etymology of words can be used in lieu of evidence related to reality.

Actually it is amazing how people pretending to be taking a scientific approach to life can come out with egregious nonsense about the demons and powers behind magic tricks.

A good article by an ex magician confessing the use of spiritual influence in the industry....

A Magician confesses.

Posted on February 17, 2016 by ashleyjamespryce
    I think it is time to talk about something that many magicians like to keep secret but a lot of braver people have tried to expose.
    [mod snip:]

Pretty much all I can see that link saying is essentially "I can not figure out Derren Brown's tricks.... so it must be real magic.... then some guy on the internet told me it was all magical demons.... so I decided to believe him.... and since YOU probably do not know how people like Derren do their work you should believe this crap too".

If you can glean anything more from the article than that..... do regale me with it please. Those of us who DO know how many of those tricks are done are not that impressed though I am sure.

But things like the levitating table trick are remarkably easy to do. We even at a kids party once did it with some children and their parents, and then later showed them how it was done. Then we showed them a ouija board and went through pretty much the same stuff. So it was a really educational experience for all of them. And children lap up that kind of knowledge when it is offered to them.

As for magicians keeping their tricks secret, actually many of them don't really. People who know NOTHING about magic and the profession of magic (seemingly like the author of your post for example) tend to think that. But in fact if you know where to look you will find many of the more unique and complex tricks are registered in a patent office somewhere. People just tend to be too lazy to go look, so they maintain the illusion that the magician is being secretive. Anyone who actually wants to know, can generally find out.

The article though, the blog piece I should say for that is what it is, is just a series of assertions, infrequently backed up with a few unverifiable personal anecdotes, with no ACTUAL evidence of any of it. So it is about as impressive as it is relevant to replying to my post (clue: not at all).

But of course people believe what they want to believe. I have another user screaming at me in another thread that just because I know how some tricks can be done by sleight of hand.......... that does not mean the people in you tube videos doing it are using slight of hand, and sure they could be using magical powers for all I know!

Which to me is about as sane as saying that if I point my hand at a plane in the sky and claim to be levitating it with my mind...... then just because we know why all the OTHER planes are in the sky........... that does not mean THIS one is in the sky for that reason and I am actually not using the power of my mind.

When that much bias drips off someone's approach to these topics, there is little you will do to penetrate it's shield alas. You can generally only engage with them for the benefit of others reading along.

Pretty much all I can see that link saying is essentially "I can not figure out Derren Brown's tricks.... so it must be real magic.... then some guy on the internet told me it was all magical demons.... so I decided to believe him.... and since YOU probably do not know how people like Derren do their work you should believe this crap too".

If you can glean anything more from the article than that..... do regale me with it please. Those of us who DO know how many of those tricks are done are not that impressed though I am sure.

But things like the levitating table trick are remarkably easy to do. We even at a kids party once did it with some children and their parents, and then later showed them how it was done. Then we showed them a ouija board and went through pretty much the same stuff. So it was a really educational experience for all of them. And children lap up that kind of knowledge when it is offered to them.

As for magicians keeping their tricks secret, actually many of them don't really. People who know NOTHING about magic and the profession of magic (seemingly like the author of your post for example) tend to think that. But in fact if you know where to look you will find many of the more unique and complex tricks are registered in a patent office somewhere. People just tend to be too lazy to go look, so they maintain the illusion that the magician is being secretive. Anyone who actually wants to know, can generally find out.

The article though, the blog piece I should say for that is what it is, is just a series of assertions, infrequently backed up with a few unverifiable personal anecdotes, with no ACTUAL evidence of any of it. So it is about as impressive as it is relevant to replying to my post (clue: not at all).

But of course people believe what they want to believe. I have another user screaming at me in another thread that just because I know how some tricks can be done by sleight of hand.......... that does not mean the people in you tube videos doing it are using slight of hand, and sure they could be using magical powers for all I know!

Which to me is about as sane as saying that if I point my hand at a plane in the sky and claim to be levitating it with my mind...... then just because we know why all the OTHER planes are in the sky........... that does not mean THIS one is in the sky for that reason and I am actually not using the power of my mind.

When that much bias drips off someone's approach to these topics, there is little you will do to penetrate it's shield alas. You can generally only engage with them for the benefit of others reading along.

Thanks for the attempt and saving someone else from doing it, but this guy KNOWS it's demons, so you can't logic that away.

They use Daemons. Of course they do. How else do you think they can perform their routines? What, are there online shops where you can buy them or something? eBay? No. I had to speak out.
    Yes, yes there are.
    http://www.worldmagicshop.com/

Again, magic isn't real.
    Nor are unicorns or fairies...
    Or demons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

This really is the thread that just keeps on giving, isn't it?

Thanks for the attempt and saving someone else from doing it, but this guy KNOWS it's demons, so you can't logic that away.

Indeed. Normally I reply to such people for the benefit of others, not with any expectation of penetrating the "Fundie Shield" (tm) of the person I am directly replying to.

It is interesting that I have two of them going at the same time though. Been a few years since I have had online debates with people who think that magic tricks I learned as a kid show some kind of "chi" or "demon" world going on. Now suddenly I have two in the same week.

What is even more comical is just how laughingly basic some of the tricks Derren Brown....... or his Irish equivalent Keith Barry......... does actually are. They just bring a wonderfully skilled patter and charisma to them that elevate them to something else. But in the end they are SO simple.

Be it the "Driving with a blindfold" trick Barry does or this "Pick a ring" trick Derren Brown does..... they are essentially mostly done with props you can buy for less than 20 dollars online.

But the skilled presence they bring to the show baffles enough people who rather than admit "I do not know how this trick is done" simply have to explain it away with nonsense like "They are calling on the assistance of demons".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭smokingman

This is honestly the most hilarious thread I've read here in ages.
    Are we near peak-crazy or will there be "chemtrails are demon breadth turning us all into Satan worshipping gay er....morris dancers or something?"
    :D

^ As I said I am dealing with another one on a thread over in After Hours if you want to see "peak crazy" on the subject. A real purveyor of the idea that you can see something done 99 times, but that does not mean the 100th person doing it is not using real actual magic.

Wonderful stuff to watch and be part of. Read along if you want the cringes :)

^ As I said I am dealing with another one on a thread over in After Hours if you want to see "peak crazy" on the subject. A real purveyor of the idea that you can see something done 99 times, but that does not mean the 100th person doing it is not using real actual magic.

Wonderful stuff to watch and be part of. Read along if you want the cringes :)

*insert Jack Nicholson "Sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here" Fail *

This is some metaphorical "invisible ink" pun isn't it? :)

This is some metaphorical "invisible ink" pun isn't it? :)

Yes, and it's HIGHlarious :pac: :o:(

Advertisement