Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Hell Real ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

I know it because it says so in the gospels.

So I was right then? "say so" is basically all you got. You have no actual evidence, arguments, data or reasoning to offer us that is even the first SHRED of evidence the claim is true or credible.

Well color me surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭GritBiscuit

That's your own business. You are entitled not to believe. God gives you that freedom. What have you to fear? Except that you will never enter the Kingdom of God.

Yeah, yeah. Sure he does. Good old free will...kinda like how your god chose to create a planet that functions by trying to kill it's inhabitants, go out of his way to make a worm who blinds children as it burrows out of their eyes and cancer. Sounds like a stellar guy I'd be crazy not to want to spend eternity with....

I fear it about as much as you fear not entering Moksha...for the very same reasons. We have more in common than not, if you think about it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭ouxbbkqtswdfaw

Yeah, yeah. Sure he does. Good old free will...kinda like how your god chose to create a planet that functions by trying to kill it's inhabitants, go out of his way to make a worm who blinds children as it burrows out of their eyes and cancer. Sounds like a stellar guy I'd be crazy not to want to spend eternity with....

I fear it about as much as you fear not entering Moksha...for the very same reasons. We have more in common than not, if you think about it.

Goodnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,274 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

If you don't believe in God, you cannot enter Heaven.

It doesn't exist so I'm cool with that.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

So I was right then? "say so" is basically all you got. You have no actual evidence, arguments, data or reasoning to offer us that is even the first SHRED of evidence the claim is true or credible.

Well color me surprised.

Goodbye.

• Advertisement

The gospels are fiction.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

However, everyone is born with an eternal soul, and some decide they don't want to be with Him. They hate Him eternally.

Your god sounds like the ultimate needy narcissistic teenage girl.

"He doesn't want to go out with me, that means he must hate me!!!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

The gospels are fiction.

I wouldn’t call them fiction. Gobbledygook that veers from the insipid to the truly bizarre, with the odd pseudo-profundity thrown in, perhaps, but not fiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭RichieO

Hell and heaven can only exist in the imagination of the deluded, youtube is not a reliable source of information, be careful what you believe...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

RichieO wrote: »
    Hell and heaven can only exist in the imagination of the deluded,

Early poster syndrome.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

... you will never enter the Kingdom of God.

PSSSST Neither will you !

pauldla wrote: »
    I wouldn’t call them fiction. Gobbledygook that veers from the insipid to the truly bizarre, with the odd pseudo-profundity thrown in, perhaps, but not fiction.

Why not?

Do you think walking on water, raising the dead, turning water into wine, a guy stuck in a tomb for three days was resurrected, etc. actually happened? Harry Potter has as much if not more relation to reality than the gospels do. They're not even consistent with each other, never mind the historical record of the period. They are fiction constructed long after the 'fact' was supposed to have taken place.

They're not even consistent with each other, never mind the historical record of the period.

My own personal favourite is the listing of Jesus' ancestors being totally different in two different gospels. AND I know some are now itching to type a response. But, to save you time. I know the stock response. One was his maternal and the other paternal. But, my response to that and you can certainly respond to this...

Why bother to list the paternal "ancestry" - Jospeh wasn't his father right, certainly those writing the gospels would have assumed Joseph wasn't his father. So, shouldn't his paternal line simply read Yahweh?

Why bother to list the paternal "ancestry" - Jospeh wasn't his father right, certainly those writing the gospels would have assumed Joseph wasn't his father. So, shouldn't his paternal line simply read Yahweh?

Licked quickly off the web.

"Matthew traces the genealogy of Jesus from Abraham, the father of the Jewish nation, through David, the King of Judah to whom God made the Davidic covenant. This shows Jesus in the line of Abraham and David, but Matthew does not say that Jesus is the actual son of Joseph—only that he is in the Messianic line through Joseph. By implication, he is the legal son of Joseph by adoption."

Legal reasons thus.

You set the standards for your "favorites" fairly low.

Early poster syndrome.

Preferable to PMS, which seems to be your problem...

Preferable to PMS, which seems to be your problem...

Even Dawkins stops short of what you claim to be the case - which is saying something

Hell and heaven can only exist in the imagination of the deluded

Can only. That's a statement awaiting a proof. So go prove.

Licked quickly off the web.

"Matthew traces the genealogy of Jesus from Abraham, the father of the Jewish nation, through David, the King of Judah to whom God made the Davidic covenant. This shows Jesus in the line of Abraham and David, but Matthew does not say that Jesus is the actual son of Joseph—only that he is in the Messianic line through Joseph. By implication, he is the legal son of Joseph by adoption."

Legal reasons thus.

You set the standards for your "favorites" fairly low.

Yes, the above is the stock answer. I'm familiar with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

We aren't acting on the basis of our going to heaven or hell.
    If your choice is for good because, for instance, you calculatingly think that will earn you points towards salvation then the algorithm notes the heart motivation behind it and the supposed good is assessed accordingly.

You've pretty much directly contradicted yourself here.
    The algorithm considers the whole of your life - not just your intellectual musings on the subject of heaven and hell. It considers the, literally, hundreds and hundreds of ways every day in which you chose/think/act ... and desire to choose/think/act even when choosing/thinking/acting contrary to that desire.

But you can't control your subconscious desires, you can only choose to act on them. If your algorithm judges you even if you choose to reject a subconsious desire to sin, then it still isn't based on an equal choice. It's worse now, it's not even a choice anymore, you are (at least partially) judged for your subconscious, which you have no control over.
    Believers are as prone to Dawkinsian-level caricatures as is Dawkins.

It can hardly be called "Darkinsian" when it's the classical christian interpretation.
    Do you have biblical source for your understanding of hell?
    The consequences won't be enjoyed, and can be therefore considered bad.

Why wont they enjoy it? If people repeatedly choosing sin are choosing to reject god then wouldn't they enjoy a place where god is rejected 24/7? Are we back to a "hell is eternal torture" scenario?
    Can you describe what you think hell is like? Without just saying it is the lack of gods grace or anything like that.

Nonsensical eternal punishment! Dream on, friend.

What purpose does eternal punishment serve over, say, 100 years of punishment? Or 10,000 years? Or even a million?

Why do you believe the gospels?

• Advertisement

Even Dawkins stops short of what you claim to be the case - which is saying something

Can only. That's a statement awaiting a proof. So go prove.[/QUOTE

]I contend such a place does not exist in reality, you contend it does, I do not need to prove a fiction, but you do need to prove what you consider to be a fact…

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Seeing these threads in Aethiest and Agnostic forum always puzzles me.
    The entire precept of your reasoning is that there is no God or anything pertaining to such a being/presence, so why wonder about imaginary places that don't exist?

It's like discussing cricket in the official GAA forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Seeing these threads in Aethiest and Agnostic forum always puzzles me.
    The entire precept of your reasoning is that there is no God or anything pertaining to such a being/presence, so why wonder about imaginary places that don't exist?

It's like discussing cricket in the official GAA forum!
    Maybe looking for evidence in order to be converted, if it exists?

I'm afraid that you are wrong there. I will go to Heaven because I am a Son of God.

I'm warning you that it's not fiction. Every word of the holy Bible is true. It is the Word of God. Please pay attention to what I say. Before it is too late, and you are overcome by the darkness. By then it will be too late.

I'm warning you that it's not fiction. Every word of the holy Bible is true. It is the Word of God. Please pay attention to what I say. Before it is too late, and you are overcome by the darkness. By then it will be too late.

What religion are you? AFAIK, the Pope doesn't take it literally, but I imagine there are fundamentalist sects that do.

I contend such a place does not exist in reality, you contend it does, I do not need to prove a fiction, but you do need to prove what you consider to be a fact…

Good God! (in the atheist sense of the phrase)

I am a Catholic. Who cares what the PRESENT pope thinks?

He speaks with a forked tongue.

I am a Catholic. Who cares what the PRESENT pope thinks?

Catholics?

• Advertisement

Catholics?

Reread my edited post.

Advertisement