Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Alan G

Had a KN engineer call to my house on Saturday (a week ahead of schedule with only 20 minutes notice). Anyway, he arrived and then told me that it is too late to start the job so I await my original install date of this Friday.

While he was there, I went through how I wanted the cable to be routed onto my house (same as the existing copper line) and also, where I wanted it to enter the building.

He said, he wouldn't be doing it that way as it was easier to come direct from the pole (and onto another point of the house) which would involve me to cut down some trees to make clearance (at my expense).

Presumably, I have every right to to refuse this if I am not happy with it.

Also, does anybody know what the maximum height a KN engineer can work at? (I'd like to route the cable along the eaves of a gable end if possible). I have no problem fixing this to the gable end myself after, if the correct length of cable is left for me.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,260 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Alan G wrote: »
    Had a KN engineer call to my house on Saturday (a week ahead of schedule with only 20 minutes notice). Anyway, he arrived and then told me that it is too late to start the job so I await my original install date of this Friday.

While he was there, I went through how I wanted the cable to be routed onto my house (same as the existing copper line) and also, where I wanted it to enter the building.

He said, he wouldn't be doing it that way as it was easier to come direct from the pole (and onto another point of the house) which would involve me to cut down some trees to make clearance (at my expense).

Also, does anybody know what the maximum height a KN engineer can work at? (I'd like to route the cable along the eaves of a gable end if possible). I have no problem fixing this to the gable end myself after, if the correct length of cable is left for me.

Thanks
    If you refuse his install doesnt mean hes going to do it your way, his job is to make a simple direct connection to the house, after that its up to you how you extend that connection internally

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭turbbo

Alan G wrote: »

Thanks

If I was you'd I take what was suggested and be happy that I'm getting fibre. Put up a fight at the risk of not being connected if you wish - but it wouldn't be my first option and I'm a cantankerous enough sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

We've installed a few hundred open eir FTTH and VDSL customers.

Please expand the location for your rollouts and call yourself West/East-net :) Dublin et al. in the East could do with your companies professional rollout/service

• Registered Users Posts: 48 pmc8

Just had an eir salesperson at my door wanting to sign me up for ftth saying the service will be live in 10 days,from reading this thread with all the problems people have with eir and getting things ordered would i be better off waiting the 10 days to see if the service will actually go live in 10 days.ive checked on the eir site using my eircode and says my area is next in line and will be in my area between october and december 2017.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

pmc8 wrote: »
    Just had an eir salesperson at my door wanting to sign me up for ftth saying the service will be live in 10 days,from reading this thread with all the problems people have with eir and getting things ordered would i be better off waiting the 10 days to see if the service will actually go live in 10 days.ive checked on the eir site using my eircode and says my area is next in line and will be in my area between october and december 2017.

Wait until you're sure it's up and running, the salespeople will tell you anything to get a sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

pmc8 wrote: »

You can now ring another provider offering FTTH on OpenEIRs platform and get better support and service :D

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

In Youghal town. Connected direct to exchange. Fibre will only give 7Mb while copper gives me 12Mb.
    Can they upgrade a direct to exchange fibre to FTTH?
    If so how do i go about chasing Eir for this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

ewj1978 wrote: »
    In Youghal town. Connected direct to exchange. Fibre will only give 7Mb while copper gives me 12Mb.
    Can they upgrade a direct to exchange fibre to FTTH?
    If so how do i go about chasing Eir for this?

The Youghal part of the 300000 rollout is complete. Enter your Eircode here:

http://fibrerollout.ie (Check rural 300k)

If you are not covered you will likely have to wait for the NBP. You could contact eir asking them to upgrade the whole town but it will likely fall on deaf ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Alangers

Live in Patrickswell in Limerick and had a KN engineer here yesterday to install FTTH. Luckily the people that built the house had run a rope from the road through underground pipes to the house so the KN guy was able to pull the fibre in that way. It was a crap day - raining like mad- so he did all the wiring and installation inside before heading to the black box on the pole outside. Modem installed and all just need to connect up to the black box. He comes back in after 30 mins to say the blackbox was never made live and he'd log this with Eir.... here was me thinking I'd be watching HD netflix with in minutes.... He had to remove all the internal works he had done :-( Eir called today to say it would be a week before this issue with be sorted. Fingers crossed it will all come good.

The modem is being installed in my utility (where the fibre enters the house) but I am guessing that i can run network wire from the termination to my attic where I have a wired hub to distribute wired connections throughout the house. I can then have the new modem here rather than in my utility which is miles away from all the areas of the house that need wifi and internet?? Has anyone done this before? Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Alangers wrote: »

The modem is being installed in my utility (where the fibre enters the house) but I am guessing that i can run network wire from the termination to my attic where I have a wired hub to distribute wired connections throughout the house. I can then have the new modem here rather than in my utility which is miles away from all the areas of the house that need wifi and internet?? Has anyone done this before? Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

You can run an ethernet cable (<100M) from the ONT to your attic and place the router there if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭vicM

Hi guys,

Got 150mbps FTTH installed last Friday but still waiting for the account to be activated.

We have rang Eir numerous times and they keep saying wait 24/48 hours and it will kick in but we are still waiting four days later.

On the router we have a green light over power and wifi, DSL and Internet and have no green light.

Anyone know what could be wrong?

Thanks

Is your PON light solid on the. ONT?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭turbbo

Alangers wrote: »
    Live in Patrickswell in Limerick and had a KN engineer here yesterday to install FTTH. Luckily the people that built the house had run a rope from the road through underground pipes to the house so the KN guy was able to pull the fibre in that way. It was a crap day - raining like mad- so he did all the wiring and installation inside before heading to the black box on the pole outside. Modem installed and all just need to connect up to the black box. He comes back in after 30 mins to say the blackbox was never made live and he'd log this with Eir.... here was me thinking I'd be watching HD netflix with in minutes.... He had to remove all the internal works he had done :-( Eir called today to say it would be a week before this issue with be sorted. Fingers crossed it will all come good.

Thanks

By network wire you mean ethernet cable right? In that case yeah that should work. You will need a gigabit ethernet switch as your hub in the attic for all the 1000mb goodness if that's what you signed up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

vicM wrote: »
    Is your PON light solid on the. ONT?

Hi Vic,

PON light is on. The LOS light is off.

Thanks for help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Saw some work on the Sneem road out of Kenmare (just beyond the Dunkerron estate). A huge roll of orange cable.......not sure if that's fibre. No markings on the van.

Hi Vic,

PON light is on. The LOS light is off.

Thanks for help.

The LOS should be off. If it is lit it means you have Loss Of Signal.

Is the ethernet cable from the ONT connected to the blue port on the back of the F2000 router?

The LOS should be off. If it is lit it means you have Loss Of Signal.

Is the ethernet cable from the ONT connected to the blue port on the back of the F2000 router?

Hi Allison Puny Appetite

Yes in the blue port.

The DSL light on the modem was green when they first connected us to the fiber, it's off now if that makes any difference.

Internet light was always off.

We have a tickey raised three days ago now still no solution.

Hi navi

Yes in the blue port.

The DSL light on the modem was green when they first connected us to the fiber, it's off now if that makes any difference.

Wow that is pretty shocking service. Did the connection ever work? Did the installer show you it working before he left?

Just something for you to try. Log into the F2000. Go to Internet and click edit on GE WAN-1. Here are my settings for that.

438411.PNG

Leave your IP Protocol version as IPv4 + IPv6 with DHCP for both. I have IPv6 off but as a default it is on.

How does yours compare to this?

Wow that is pretty shocking service. Did the connection ever work? Did the installer show you it working before he left?

Just something for you to try. Log into the F2000. Go to Internet and click edit on GE WAN-1. Here are my settings for that.

438411.PNG

Leave your IP Protocol version as IPv4 + IPv6 with DHCP for both. I have IPv6 off but as a default it is on.

How does yours compare to this?

Cheers Allison Puny Appetite,

It's my parents house they had fttc from Vodafone cancelled it and moved to ftth from Eir.

Installer said to contact Eir and get them to activate the account. Eir say they have done that and it's still not working so raised a ticket.

Next time I'm out there I'll check those settings o don't think they could check it themselves ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

Hi navi

Yes in the blue port.

I had the same problem. Turned out they assigned my IP to the wrong exchange (if this makes sense). It took about a week to fix...

Keep harrassing them about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭db

Had someone around today asking for permission to cut back the trees along my front wall where they are close to the phone line. Said Eir will be bringing a broadband line from the exchange in the village. Is this a good sign and long might it be before the line goes in?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,260 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

db wrote: »
    Had someone around today asking for permission to cut back the trees along my front wall where they are close to the phone line. Said Eir will be bringing a broadband line from the exchange in the village. Is this a good sign and long might it be before the line goes in?

Asking permission does not equate to them coming around tomorrow to do it. Preparatory surveying
    But good on you for not pissing off everyone else who may benefit from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭db

fritzelly wrote: »
    Asking permission does not equate to them coming around tomorrow to do it. Preparatory surveying
    But good on you for not pissing off everyone else who may benefit from it.

He said they would be cutting the trees in the next few days. I am hoping they would have to put in the new lines within the next couple of months before the spring growth starts. Just wondering can I expect decent broadband some time this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

My house is blue on the map and it says we're due to have fibre in the first half of 2018. Are people optimistic this will come to fruition or it is a hopeful estimate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭rob808

correction wrote: »
    My house is blue on the map and it says we're due to have fibre in the first half of 2018. Are people optimistic this will come to fruition or it is a hopeful estimate?
    it a estimate sadly it depends on how fast rollout is in your area.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I have IPv6 off...
    Why? Just curious.
    It's my parents house they had fttc from Vodafone cancelled it and moved to ftth from Eir.

This may be a silly question, but they're not still trying to use the Vodafone VDSL router on their new eir FTTH connection, are they?

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Why? Just curious.

When I got connected to FTTH the F2000 had an issue with Android devices failing while attempting IPv6 DNS lookups. There were several posts about it here. One solution was to disable IPv6. eir have since released the B036 firmware which I believe fixed the issue.

db wrote: »
    He said they would be cutting the trees in the next few days. I am hoping they would have to put in the new lines within the next couple of months before the spring growth starts. Just wondering can I expect decent broadband some time this year.

The tree cutting is the very start of the process. They will then replace defective poles, build or rebuild access chambers and install underground ducting where needed. All these things happen before any fibre cable is run so you would most likely be looking at several months for it all to take place depending on the availability of crews.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭irelandjoe

The tree cutting is the very start of the process. They will then replace defective poles, build or rebuild access chambers and install underground ducting where needed. All these things happen before any fibre cable is run so you would most likely be looking at several months for it all to take place depending on the availability of crews.

Trees cut here Jan 2016 and still not connected.

However, this popped up outside my house this week, Wonder how long now? can't be long I guess (Not holding breath)

Faz6ie7w2UPfZlC52

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭irelandjoe

irelandjoe wrote: »
    Trees cut here Jan 2016 and still not connected.

However, this popped up outside my house this week, Wonder how long now? can't be long I guess (Not holding breath)

Faz6ie7w2UPfZlC52

438464.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement