Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Not always practical to fish a preterminated cable. And plates are a good idea as this is cable not flex.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,298 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

vintagevrs wrote: »
    I wouldn't bother with wall plates. I did when we built and they are never used. If you have a few places where you know you need a fixed connection just run the cable to there and terminate it with an rj45.

ugly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭long_b

Some of the meters are worth a few K each and about the size of a litre of milk, you can see why they'd be targeted in more impoverished areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Blogin

When is that eir quarterly update due on the 300k houses ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭ah,sure

I was the poster from a few pages back who'd been told by eir that getting FTTH was impossible, due to the Eircode not being part of the 300k. The KN technician who visited previously had pointed to the black FTTH box being planted right across the road - one pole away and easily connected. So I strongly objected while emailing Openeir, pointing out that my area is connected to FTTH and it goes up my road and passes my new build.

I'm now told that "my circumstances are quite unusual" and that they'll consult with the networks team. They are keeping the case open while I'm hopin' for the best.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I reckon new houses along rural FTTH routes should be automatically entitled to join the FTTH network since the area is already wired up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Blogin wrote: »
    When is that eir quarterly update due on the 300k houses ?
    The Minister said in the Dail that the review of the first quarter figure would be made public in May. I thought they may be waiting for the unreviewed figures for the 2nd quarter before releasing it, but there may be other issues like........oh, I give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 JPW_1993

On install day, what exactly do they do?

The nearest pole from my home exceeds 50m each side, however there is a "eircom" manhole directly outside the property which both KN and Diffusion were fiddling with.

People are mentioning wires having to be brought into the house from splice boxes on poles, how do they do it in my case where such a route is probably not an option? Will there be digging involved?

We are down for fibre with both the telephone line and eircode are passing, as with my neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭long_b

JPW_1993 wrote: »

The nearest pole from my home exceeds 50m each side, however there is a "eircom" manhole directly outside the property which both KN and Diffusion were fiddling with.

People are mentioning wires having to be brought into the house from splice boxes on poles, how do they do it in my case where such a route is probably not an option? Will there be digging involved?

We are down for fibre with both the telephone line and eircode are passing.

It'll come in the same way your telephone line does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

We are down for fibre with both the telephone line and eircode are passing, as with my neighbours.
    The probably put a splice box in the manhole if there no splice boxes on either one of the 2 poles. Anyway your connection could be wired from the pole with the splice box into the underground duct through that manhole outside your gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Some news from Inch St. Lawernce exchange in co. Limerick serving Caherconlish and Ballyneety. Work on fiber cables in the Ballybricken area recommenced this morning after they left about 10 to 12 days ago. I am now thinking they'll work northwards to where I live in the next few days. They have other areas in the exchange area to wire up such as south of Ballyneety into Ballingarde, the Boher area and the main road north and south of Caherconlish. Noticed some ducting crews on the main road just on the Limerick end of the village.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭teach nua

Hi,

Ftth will be made live outside my house in rural area on the 26th of this month.

Eir sales rep pre selling packages this week saying ftth exclusive to eir at the moment.

Told by Vodafone rep over phone that once it is live they can install and sell me ftth.

Told this to eir rep who said it is not true as ftth at the moment is exclusive to them to sell and all that Vodafone would be in position to supply would be broadband over copper lines.

Who is telling the truth ? Is rural ftth exclusive to eir at the minute and if it is for how long is it exclusive?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

teach nua wrote: »
    Hi,

Ftth will be made live outside my house in rural area on the 26th of this month.

Eir sales rep pre selling packages this week saying ftth exclusive to eir at the moment.

Told by Vodafone rep over phone that once it is live they can install and sell me ftth.

Told this to eir rep who said it is not true as ftth at the moment is exclusive to them to sell and all that Vodafone would be in position to supply would be broadband over copper lines.

Who is telling the truth ? Is rural ftth exclusive to eir at the minute and if it is for how long is it exclusive?

Thanks

Never believe what anyone selling you something is saying!
    That includes both parties you have spoken to.

It is not exclusive to eir.
    They might be taking orders before anyone else ........ incorrectly ....

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭garroff

Vodafone told me they would NOT be selling Opener BB. I then moved to Eir to get fibre. Will be live 26 this month!!!.

List of fibre providers on website

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭ACLFC7

Hi,

Thanks

Vodafone and Sky don't sell OpenEir/Eirs FTTH. Only Eir, Pure Telecom, Digiweb and a few other smaller ISPs sell OpenEirs FTTH.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I reckon ComReg would be... fascinated to hear all about how FTTH is exclusive to eir retail.

Joking aside, I'm hearing far too many stories of eir sales reps (and I know they're not eir employees) lying through their teeth in order to make the sale.

ACLFC7 wrote: »
    Vodafone and Sky don't sell OpenEir/Eirs FTTH. Only Eir, Pure Telecom, Digiweb and a few other smaller ISPs sell OpenEirs FTTH.

According to http://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/ only two smaller ISPs at the moment: Fastcom and Westnet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

oscarBravo wrote: »
    According to http://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/ only two smaller ISPs at the moment: Fastcom and Westnet.

Net1 sell it also in the North East region I believe although they are not listed on the site.

https://twitter.com/net1broadband/status/884450399146704896

Although they need to work on their Mb/MB difference!

• Advertisement

Net1 sell it also in the North East region I believe although they are not listed on the site.

https://twitter.com/net1broadband/status/884450399146704896

Interesting, thanks - the Net1 website bears it out. Strange that the fibrerollout website doesn't list them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Interesting, thanks - the Net1 website bears it out. Strange that the fibrerollout website doesn't list them.

It is strange because they have been selling it for a while I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Chieftain

Well today was finally the day I was getting my FTTH installed. Engineer (who was very sound) called, had a look around, but no joy. There are no telegraph poles where I live so all the cables are underground. There was a land line active at the house a few years back, but its impossible to find where the line went into the house. Engineer reckoned it was concreted over after it went in. Only way that I could get the FTTH would be to dig a very very long trench as far as the nearest manhole cover on the road and then break the concrete outside the house to bring it inside. Seemingly i was the 3rd house he'd been to today and none of us were able to get the FTTH

Really disappointed as was so excited about getting the FTTH. Will have to stick to what I have for the foreseeable future.

Should have been able to locate cable/ follow copper cable route with cable locator. Not rocket science. If you have any end of the old cable it's about a half hours work.

I had my install today. I've no pole anywhere near my house. Engineer couldnt find where the telephone line went into the house and said it was probably concreted over after it was done. Told me I wouldnt be able to get the FTTH unless i could get a trench dug out as far as the manhole. Also would have to break the concrete to run the cabling in. Not practical to do that so i'm stuck with what i have. Ah well

garroff wrote: »
    Should have been able to locate cable/ follow copper cable route with cable locator. Not rocket science. If you have any end of the old cable it's about a half hours work.

Oh really? That would have been handy. He was fairly adamant that it would be a needle in a haystack trying to find where the copper came in

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭naughto

Chieftain wrote: »
    Well today was finally the day I was getting my FTTH installed. Engineer (who was very sound) called, had a look around, but no joy. There are no telegraph poles where I live so all the cables are underground. There was a land line active at the house a few years back, but its impossible to find where the line went into the house. Engineer reckoned it was concreted over after it went in. Only way that I could get the FTTH would be to dig a very very long trench as far as the nearest manhole cover on the road and then break the concrete outside the house to bring it inside. Seemingly i was the 3rd house he'd been to today and none of us were able to get the FTTH

Really disappointed as was so excited about getting the FTTH. Will have to stick to what I have for the foreseeable future.

I'd dig a trench no matter what length or what work I had to do to get ftth in to my house

naughto wrote: »
    I'd dig a trench no matter what length or what work I had to do to get ftth in to my house

Easier said than done - not sure how much it would cost to get it done, and cant see how i can go digging a trench on a public road as far as the manhole cover

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Chieftain wrote: »
    ... There are no telegraph poles where I live so all the cables are underground. ...

It's been quite a few years since I've heard them referred to by that name!!! :P;)

It really sticks out on this, an FTTH thread. :D

• Advertisement

It's been quite a few years since I've heard them referred to by that name!!! :P;)

It really sticks out on this, an FTTH thread. :D

Sure, a good chunk of manholes (especially concrete) have P & T on em.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement