Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone still waiting for stuff from China?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I double checked for the one item I got from China recently that arrived quickly, I knew I mentioned it in feedback to seller, item arrived from China 11 working days after purchase !
    How did that happen ?

What class of postage was it sent with?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

ED E wrote: »
    What class of postage was it sent with?

China Registered Air Mail to worldwide, for free. Didn't even realize when I bought it.
    There was a tracking number too, but interestingly, no history.
    All the other ones have the fanciful tracking.

Does the tracking end in "NL"? If so thats PNLs redirection service.

This is that service:

As it comes from NL it may get through this week, typically the redirected stuff is pretty prompt.

Delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

Ordered an item on January 26th - received yesterday, May 16th!!! Just shy of FOUR MONTHS!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭dohouch

2 arrivals today from FastTech, -- 1=14 days,
    other = 48 days
    Identical postage method an size.

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,562 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

joujoujou wrote: »
    joujoujou wrote: »
    Time to reset the counter. :cool:

7 items ordered last night. :D

Ready, set, go! ;)

That was 18.04.2017.

First item delivered 12th of May. 26 days, not bad.

6 items still in limbo. ;)

5 items. Mr Postman brought another one. :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 61 ✭✭purple_rose

Three delivered last week. Two more, so far delivered this week. Waiting on two more.

There's no explanation why things ordered weeks apart are showing up together.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭rgfuller

Ordered from seller based in Hong Kong on 8th March, dispatched 9th March, Delivered 18th May, so 70 days.

Seller had refunded me after 7 weeks though I was willing to wait having read this valuable thread.

Two today. In my bin with a note though the letterbox.

SHIPPED 12MAR 17
    AIRLINE 16MAR 17
    ARRIVED 18MAY 17 67 days

SHIPPED 21 MAR 17
    ARRIVED 18 MAY 17 58 Days

Getting better maybe. Still slow AF but getting better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

Got something today I ordered on January 21st.
    There's no explanation why things ordered weeks apart are showing up together.

Well that part is easy; the way items leave China is usually by a boat, and the boat doesn't leave until it is full. Basically seller and senders just add lots to the boat over time until it is full, and this often results in what you are describing above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Two today. In my bin with a note though the letterbox.

SHIPPED 12MAR 17
    AIRLINE 16MAR 17
    ARRIVED 18MAY 17 67 days

SHIPPED 21 MAR 17
    ARRIVED 18 MAY 17 58 Days

Getting better maybe. Still slow AF but getting better.

In the bin

Quiet normal
    by you they leave a note in the letterbox not here
    Just dropped in the bin if its to big for the letterbox or nobody home and not an post only others too
    If I know something is on its way I check every evening when I'm home the blue bin

Unregistered Users

[...]
    If I know something is on its way I check every evening when I'm home the blue bin

Could be disappointing on The Bin Emptying Day. ;)

================

Edit: one item I bought off ebay on 17th of March just arrived. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,286 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Received something this morning that i received a refund for more than a month ago. moral dilemma time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Received something this morning that i received a refund for more than a month ago. moral dilemma time.

No dilemma in my book really...

Unregistered Users

No dilemma alright. Contact seller and pay. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,286 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

grogi wrote: »
    No dilemma in my book really...

yeah. you're right. happened before and when i contacted the seller to pay again i didnt get any reply.

GodlessM wrote: »
    Got something today I ordered on January 21st.

Well that part is easy; the way items leave China is usually by a boat, and the boat doesn't leave until it is full. Basically seller and senders just add lots to the boat over time until it is full, and this often results in what you are describing above.

This air mail. The majority does not go by boat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 61 ✭✭purple_rose

Another one delivered today. So that's 3 packages so far this week. Three last week.

It's very funny how its all showing up together. I ordered stuff a couple of months ago after the same time and it has taken two-three weeks. So I don't understand why these packages are showing up three months later.

Another poster made a comment that it's being shipped by boat. Except on my package that came today it says 'China post by air'.

I said it last week that I would probably get more this week as an post gets to the bottom of their container.

It cant be by ship as the same shipping methods hit the UK in 10-12 days and the shipping route is 24 days never mind loading/unloading wait times and onward transit.

Its all air mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Got my parcel today. Three weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

Got three packages since Tuesday.

Tuesday and Wednesdays package was dispatched on the 7th March.

The package that arrived today was dispatched on the 2nd February.

Go figure ha.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

It cant be by ship as the same shipping methods hit the UK in 10-12 days and the shipping route is 24 days never mind loading/unloading wait times and onward transit.

Its all air mail.

Can't see them shipping it all by air, the airlines don't do it for free. It may be that with the volumes for the UK, with 15 times the population, that they can fill and ship a container much more quickly then for Ireland, where they may be struggling to fill one a week. this would then lead to transhipment in Rotterdam which would delay it further. From some of the tracking samples it looks like the Air Mail is being sent by air, with the free parcels literally getting the slow boat from China.

Its not going by ship, it may be surface for the last leg, but from Shenzen to Wester Europe only heavy goods go that way.

Remember you have many many air freight operators. Fedex, UPS, Emirates, Aer Lingus.... When they've 18 of 20 ULDs filled on a flight it makes total economic sense to take mail thats generally very light for a budget rate than fly part empty.

People think fuel cost is a big portion of aviation costs, its not. Plane cycles and landing/transit/atc fees are many times more expensive. Flying part full planes is the last thing theyll do, thus CN Post LDs will fill any gaps on outbound flights.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Its not going by ship, it may be surface for the last leg, but from Shenzen to Wester Europe only heavy goods go that way.

Remember you have many many air freight operators. Fedex, UPS, Emirates, Aer Lingus.... When they've 18 of 20 ULDs filled on a flight it makes total economic sense to take mail thats generally very light for a budget rate than fly part empty.

People think fuel cost is a big portion of aviation costs, its not. Plane cycles and landing/transit/atc fees are many times more expensive. Flying part full planes is the last thing theyll do, thus CN Post LDs will fill any gaps on outbound flights.

The airlines will carry the air mail, because they get paid good money for it. I don't see them carrying freepost than no-one wants to pay for. Even Apple and Samsung avoid airfreight as much as possible and look at the reported markup on their product. If the Far East operators work the same as their EU counterparts they won't ship postal parcels on planes for safety and security reasons. The couriers such as UPS and FedEx will hardly give their postal competition a hand by shipping their product for them. Some of it must be going sea/air to get transit times of less then a month, but even that is fairly expensive.

Month long shipping times port to port via sea, added to delays sorting the post and/or customs checking more may explain the disparity in shipping times from the Far East. Looking at some of the values being declared, along with free shipping, I'm surprised Customs aren't checking every single package.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭styron

whiterebel wrote: »
    Month long shipping times port to port via sea, added to delays sorting the post and/or customs checking more may explain the disparity in shipping times from the Far East. Looking at some of the values being declared, along with free shipping, I'm surprised Customs aren't checking every single package.

Are freepost deliveries with duty and handling charges due currently expedited? Any significant priority for free shipping stuff siphoned off through customs would imply the delay is on our end.

For unregistered mail, sites like sky56.com use estimates for their tracking updates, not actual data.

They just add fixed values to each leg of the journey. It's totally made-up.

So it creates a situation where people think their order is sitting in An Post or customs for weeks when reality it's still on a container ship from China.

See image for further details. If you are using tracking sites like this one, don't be too quick to assume your item is sitting in An Post for weeks.
    ZByMc9s.jpg

Small packets are typically low value, watch the documentary series "Stop Search and Seize" if you want proof. They manually screen a TINY portion that look interesting, primarily parcels that are far more likely to value over the ?26 threshold.
    whiterebel wrote: »

You forget, Its subsidised!
    For example, as of 2012, the terminal dues on items from China to the U.S. were about one U.S. dollar per kilogram. This means that in many if not most cases, the U.S. Postal Service received less compensation for a China Post package moved from a Los Angeles port to its final destination inland, than it would have from someone in Los Angeles who sent an identical package within the United States. The last half of that voice chip?s journey would have cost China Post less than the price of a U.S. stamp.

http://fortune.com/2015/03/11/united-nations-subsidy-chinese-shipping/
    ^ Doesnt include funding from Bejing to keep it artificially low, just like they do with the RMB.

How many times do I have to repeat, mail is arriving to London/Antrim in 14-18 days. They arent using speedboats. Unless you think lil 'ole Ireland is getting a weekly container ship of our own its going air mail most of the way. But nah, "Small Packet by Air" is a big lie, UPU let that stand. Totes. :rolleyes:

Today:
    SHIPPED 26 MAR 17
    ARRIVED 19 MAY 17 - 54 days

Thats three days in a row. Seems like a bulk clearing order may have come down from on high.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

6th and 7th April packets arrived today, both "small packet airmail", glad I didn't start a dispute with sellers, thought I'd give them a bit extra time.

• Advertisement
    Unregistered Users

Another item bought on 18 Apr. came in.

35 days.

Still waiting for 4 more items.

Advertisement