Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Well done on the massive PB!! Enjoy the recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Well done D, fantastic result.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Neady83 wrote: »
    Brilliant, never doubted for a minute that you had that kind of finish in you. Delighted for you - these conditions obviously suit you :) Can't wait for a full run down on the 26.2 miles. Enjoy the well deserved celebrations. That's two cracking training blocks and marathons that you have to show for your hard work.

Thank you kindly, I seem to be able to adapt to them alright. I hate bloody heat to be honest. Today I ran in a singlet, same as I did for Dublin and even at that I wish I had the figure to run topless!
    Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Brilliant running D, really well done.

Thanks G, a car load of Dubs (down for the match I guess) gave me a big cheer at one be stage and was wondered had you made the journey south?
    Singer wrote: »
    Delighted for you! Enjoy it :)

Thanks B, one 12oz steak later now I am pretty good!
    denis b wrote: »
    Super run Diego. Never doubted your ability to think on your feet. Great run all the same and in trying conditions.

Thanks Denis, and I caught your post this morning before I started and it helped focus to remind myself that I might need to adapt.
    Well done on the massive PB!! Enjoy the recovery.

Thanks a mill, will do for sure as I don't want calf issues again like I had after DCM due to doing something silly!
    jake1970 wrote: »
    Well done D, fantastic result.

Thanks a mill L, just all came together for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Wow D that is some result and well deserved after such solid training well done and enjoy the celebrations. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Not me D, must be some of your other fans :D, well deserved cheers none the less.

• Advertisement

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Wow D that is some result and well deserved after such solid training well done and enjoy the celebrations. :)

Thanks a mill A, thrilled with it as I felt I had a 3:4x:xx in me for the day but not what I came home with!
    Not me D, must be some of your other fans :D, well deserved cheers none the less.

Haha thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Massive PB and so well deserved D after another great training schedule. delighted for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Brilliant result. We look forward to the report but put the legs up and get yourself some rest and food first!

Younganne wrote: »
    Massive PB and so well deserved D after another great training schedule. delighted for you.

Thanks Anne, such a great feeling when the training pays off!
    Brilliant result. We look forward to the report but put the legs up and get yourself some rest and food first!

Ta very much hilly, burned off some adrenaline there doing housework early this afternoon so going to take into the report now.

Tralee Marathon 2017 race report

Preamble
    Having got through my training for DCM 2016 relatively unscathed bar a minor calf niggle (right calf) in the last few weeks I was toying with the idea of doing another marathon early in 2017. I liked the idea as I knew it would get me over the winter with some targeted training and hopefully prevent me doing silly things like too many races. I also wanted to see could I manage the training when the simple thing like the lack of daylight hours and milder summer weather (well whatever you call it in Ireland that we generally get in late Summer/Autumn) would likely be a challenge to deal with. My target race was going to be the Tralee marathon, a home marathon where I could train easily enough on the course (even though they changed it after I'd done 3 long runs on it) and could sleep in my own bed the nights before a race. Pat Hooper used to always say that the great thing about the Dublin marathon was that you could sleep in your own bed the night before. Well I wanted that down this end of the country. All in all I said I'd sign up and start into the training, if things went well then the marathon would be great to do so early in the year and if things were not going so well I could drop back to the half marathon. No harm in it really I figured!

Training
    Week 1/day 1 (Nov 27th) instead of doing the prescribed easy 45min run I did a 10 mile road race (Stook 10) and promptly injured my left calf on the flying mile. I was absolutely bunched with it at the time but I was able to do some easy running a few days later. Missed some runs and gave it a week or 2 whilst easing off the training before getting it checked with my physio. Thankfully the introduction of some specific calf exercises sorted out the issue by around week 6/7 of the 16 week plan I was on. And up until early I was doing these 3 times a week, they then eased back to once a week and probably nothing for a month at least now so will start back into them in a week or so when the legs feel right again.

Following that I was able to stick to the plan and completed a 10K race on New Years (new pb of 46:15) and then the Raheny 5 miler at the end of Jan (also a pb of 36:25) so I knew I was getting faster. I had decided that I would fully commit to go for the marathon post Raheny as that would likely mean the calf stuff was well sorted. Unfortunately I was not going to be able to race a 10 miler or half marathon in the run up to the race so I didn't have a real barometer for where I was at for the longer distances. I was following the same Running Shoes Guru training plan as I did for Dublin so I could tell in comparison with intervals and the like I was getting faster and my easy feeling pace was a bit faster this time around (I didn't really bother with using my hrm during training and decided to rank each session out of 10 for effort so least when looking back at my personal training log I could tell how I was feeling for that pace). In the 5 weeks prior to the race I started looking at the pace groups for the day which for me was going to 3:45 or 4:00 or else run on my own. I was encouraged by a few on Strava to go for the 3:45 group so I focused my marathon training pace sessions and the interval work which range from 105-110% of marathon pace. Worst of all for me were the Yasso intervals which require you to run half a mile in your target finish time for the race (3:45 aka 7:30min/mi aka pretty much my 10K pace) but doing these early in the morning is horrible. Saying all that including the long runs (I run up to 2hrs 40/50mins (the plan only has you doing 2hrs 30mins but I add 10-15mins extra easy pace running at the start or the end of the long runs), I was able to hit my target pace. The conditions in the last month or so have been horrendous and I can remember on my second longest training run of 2hr 40mins get really blown out of it and soaked about 30-40mins in. I was chafed to bits and knackered after it but I was able to get it done pretty much on target.
    So coming to race day that left me in two minds which had me quite anxious do I go for the sub 3:45 (felt it was playing with fire a bit) or do I play it safer and go for sub 3:50 (felt I would get this barring a mistake in going out too hard early on). Weather was going to be a key factor for me with this but I wanted to use the pace group.

Targets
    Prepped my final targets in the days before the race and decided I would pick one for certain over the course of the first half with how it was going.

Goal A for the day was sub 3:45 (I had a 3:44:30 pace band on), starting the race with the 3:45 pacers and sticking with them throughout.
    Goal B for the day was sub 3:50 (I had a 3:49:30 pace band underneath Goal A band), planned to start with the 3:45 pacers and do the first lap with them and presumably end up trailing them for much of the second half.
    Goal C for the day was to break my pb of 3:57:34 from DCM 2016 (I had a 3:57 paceband on underneath the other two for this). Any strategy for this was probably going to have to come on the fly have clearly made a mistake going for the 3:45.

Race report
    Arriving to Wetland in Tralee for the start of the race weather was really crap, heavy wind blowing and driving rain. Cursing the weather I was and thinking feck it...training for a 3:45 and thinking I needed perfect conditions and these were not them. Took shelter inside for 20mins before the race having done a very brief warm up of two short 2-3min runs. Debated starting the race in a running jacket but given that was wet already I figured what's the point and it would just annoy me very quickly. With that I went for the same outfit I worn in Dublin (quite fond of Under Armour short for running) and my club singlet. The scarity of material means there's less for the rain to stick too and helps keep me cool. Stuck a bin bag on and out to the start line after saying seeya later to my wife and father who were doing the 5K event that was starting 30mins later.

Bumped into some familiar faces and wished them luck, the wind seemed to have eased a bit and rain back to a drizzle. I knew the first 2.5 miles was the most exposed so I decided go with the 3:45s for that at least and see how the pace feels. I said high to the two pacers in the first mile and introduced myself, one of them I had known from Strava and seeing at local races.

Mile 1
    Here we got another marathon, initial thoughts of why am I doing this again dissipated quickly and focused on the task at hand. The start was not too congested and got into my stride with the first few 100 meters. The half and full races started together so you ran with a mixture of both for the first half of the race. Split 1 was 8:41, bit slower than I wanted with 8:34s the target but I was going to have a long way to run to gain anything lost at the start back.

Mile 2
    Shielded myself as we ran out along the canal but positioning myself towards the back of the pace group. With about 10 people ahead of me I was well covered from the windiest part of the course. Second half of mile 2 is on a gravel track so have to be careful with the footing but as you get out towards the bay you are just holding steady to turn your back to the wind.
    Split of 8:36 here.

Mile 3
    Little bit of drag in this mile as you run along a laneway which had plenty of water each side but was tipping away now. Wasn't checking my watch but just checking the beeps for the miles. 8:20 for this mile so I figured we on target now for the finish time.

Mile 4
    Steepish climb in the mile to the first water station, shortened my stride and baby stepped my way up. The pacers had pulled ahead of me by about 5-10 seconds but I didn't mind that as I knew the next mile was fast and figured I'd hold my effort and catch up to them. Took a bottle of water and a few sips before dispatching it. 8:37 here.

Mile 5
    Fastest part of the course here as you go back in towards the town and through a housing estate. Unfortunately I had to make a brief pit stop here so didn't manage to ease back up towards the pacers but needs must and a number 1 had to be done. 8:10. First gel was taken here and every 5 miles up to 20 when I had my last, four and done seems to be my limit for gels, even changing to Kinetica for this cycle and having three different flavours on board made only a slight difference in being palatable).

Mile 6
    Draggy section going out of town and the pacers were still a bit up the road from me but I just held the pace. Hoped I'd get up nearer to them for mile 7-8 as there was going to be a head wind to deal with there as you head towards the coast again. Another water stop here, can't recall if I took a bottle or not. 8:16 for the split.

Mile 7
    This was going to be another challenge so I pulled up close to the pace group for this mile and the next mile to shield against wind. Not really a fan of this section of the route as it's open to traffic and traffic is traveling fast with an 80kph limit. 8:16 for the split here too.

Mile 8
    Turning off the main road we'd now be into a short sharpish downhill for a few hundred meters before some ups and downs and good climb to come soon. Passing another water station here I took a bottle (kids size bottles) and this time I added half a high 5 zero tab too it and drank most of it over the coming mile. 8:33 for the split.

Mile 9
    We started our climb here that would last for around 3/4 mile. This is the toughest climb of the race but just stuck with the pace group throughout. One of the pacers indicated the target (house just at the top) we were aiming for so I kept my head up and my stride short and dug in. I think I pulled ahead of the pacers here a bit maybe. 8:39 for the mile

Mile 10
    Fast mile here as you're back to where you were at the top of mile 4 and you run down the same hill you climbed there. Just let the legs go and naturally went with the downhill. Could see 7:xx for pace on the watch but wasn't minding that too much as it was only going to be short. 8:26 for the split here.

Mile 11
    Coming back in from Blennerville now with the wind at your back I actually eased off here a good bit and let the pace group catch back up and eventually overtake me. I took my time taking a gel here and did a check on the body. Loosened out the arms. Knew we'd be getting near the starting area now and would hopefully see my wife. 8:45 split.

Mile 12
    Hurtling along now we seemed to be making good pace now, I could overhear the pacers working out their strategy. I think they said they were aiming for an 8:30 mile here. It is fast and flat so sounded right to me, just stuck with them. 8:25 I recorded it as.

Mile 13
    Again turning towards the coast you face the wind a bit again but I was able to pick out the half marathoners around us now as they were starting to push ahead and offered some protection from the wind. 8:10 for the mile here.

Passing through the start/finish line at halfway I didn't note the time on the clock but from what I can tell from my GPS it was 1:51:06 approx.

Saw my wife twice here and she gave me a nice cheer.

Mile 14
    Into where the fun would begin....the second lap, I was happy to date with how things were going and figured I am good for a sub 3:50 here and I would just keep it going at the same pace/effort. Small bit bleary but it's more from the concentration I find and simply running for a few hours. 8:28 for the split here. Got a nice cheer from a clubmate and her kids here (been helping out with the coaching in my club means the kids know my name as well now which is nice).

Mile 15
    Much smaller group this time going out into the wind towards the coast. We were motoring here and I have 8:47 recorded for the split. We passed two guys here, we seemed to blast past them really.

Mile 16
    Weird one here is that I felt a slight ripple in my right calf, was wondering was it the beginning of a cramp. Decided there's not too much I can do about it and just keep going. I had been taking a few salt chews here and there in the hope they'd help keep things nice and hydrated. Passed more club mates in a car here and got another nice cheer. 8:35 for the mile here.

Mile 17
    Last time running up the same climb as mile 4, things were slowing down here and I was dropping back from the pace group like first time around but I knew I wouldn't need a comfort break this time around so said I'd catch up in the next mile. 8:34 split here.

Mile 18
    Riddle me this, not sure why but I made a move. I picked up some pace coming down the hill here to move about 10-15 seconds ahead of the pace group and then locked into the target pace for the drag out of town. 8:28 for the split.

Mile 19
    Motoring along now starting thinking about the 3:45 a little bit, I knew we were something like a minute faster than 3:45 so figured just hit the splits and you'll do it. Passed a few people here, 2/3 that I can recall, 8:36 for the mile here.

Mile 20
    Ideally I should have still been with the pace group for this part as you'd a good chance of a decent bit of wind here but I was maintaining the gap ahead of the group. No particular reason as to why I racing like this but I had keyed into an effort and wanted to hold it. 8:25 for the mile here. I passed through 20 miles in 2:49:49 which was the fastest I'd done 20 miles in ever but a long shot. I started thinking that it's just a good 10K here now and you will get sub 3:45.

Mile 21
    Still trekking away on my own here, passed a few here. One guy who reduced to walking. Coming off the main road again now to the same water station as mile 8. I took a bottle of water here and washed my face here. Had lost a good bit of salt but was okay with it as was taking some on through the high five zero and the salt chews. Calf was holding fine, little ripple now and again but it was fine. 8:52 here. Could see two runners ahead of me that I seemed to be gaining on.

Mile 22
    Undulating up and down here. 8:47 for the mile here. Was doing okay but could feel it a bit now.

Mile 23
    The last tough climb started in the second half of the last mile, another runner stopped just a the foot of the hill...she went to the other side of the road for a sec but just said hi to indicate she was okay. Really had to dig in here now as despite the 3:45s being within ear shot about 20 secs behind me I was on my own. Shortened the stride again and just told myself of the downhill to come after this and give it your best. I knew some time would be lost but I couldn't exactly push it as was afraid the body would scream too much. 8:35 for the mile here. Just as I came to the top of the climb here one of the pacers shouted out to me go on D keep her lit. My head was just starting to drop and it gave me the last bit of effort to get up the hill.

Mile 24
    Body really starting to feel it now, couldn't really make any gains on the downhill and just jogged down it my best. 8:41 and I was starting to drop a bit. I could hear the pace group gaining ground on me and they were right up behind me now. I just set in my mind now to just stay ahead of them if I could, a fella pulled up beside me and started to talk to me. To be honest he was wrecking my head and I was only fit to give one word answers. Not being impolite here as best I can but I don't to talk when racing and at this stage of a race I can't.

Mile 25
    Final kick for home, I left my chatting buddy behind me. Another fella from the pace group pulled ahead of me and was gone about 20 seconds down the road. I was doing okay here now just going my best, 8:23 was the split here. I can't recall noted this on my watch at the time but I had moved ahead of the pace group again. Got a great cheer from some clubmates here again at the Rose Hotel. Going past the final mile marker here, I never mentioned but they were very sparse throughout and way off, I could hear the pacers say to the guys behind me that they knew from the last time around it was exactly 1 mile to the finish from there and that a 9minute mile would give you a sub 1:45. I knew I had that left in me so just gave it my best.

Mile 26 and to the finish
    Final turn for home now, 8:24 was the split I recorded here so I was going faster than I felt I was legs. I just started thinking 8 mins, then 4 mins to go. I had two guys ahead of me but figured I wouldn't catch either.
    As we crossed the road one dittered and I passed him by. Making the turn into the wetlands the last tall guy who had passed me early in mile 25 was a few seconds ahead and seemed to have someone running with him. I could see the finish line now with low 3:43:xx on it so I focused on the tall lad and gave it one last push over the last 20 meters and finished 1 second ahead of him.

Crossing the line I literally dropped onto my wife (I am 5'10 and she is 4'11) and held on for about 10 seconds. My legs were screaming but the job was done and I just couldn't believe it.

Chip time was 3:43:41, taking almost 14 minutes off my time from DCM 2016. Genuinely staggered to have pulled that time out of the bag.

Met a few people I knew after the race and chatted briefly but I just wanted to head for home. Legs were bunched but I was just so elated. Home then to spend time with my family and out for a nice meal last night.

First half/second half (estimated from GPS maps as did not note it at the time)
    1:51:06/1:52:35

Gross time/Net time
    3:43:49/3:43:41

Position 51/203 (16th MS, 44th M)

Strava link

• Advertisement

Great report D, really brought me back to that buzzing feeling you get, when you know you've had a great run, Nicly done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Great report, and a rock solid performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

I was waiting until I had some peace, a big mug of coffee and a bar of galaxy chocolate to read this. Hats off to you on a fantastic training block and a really well executed race. I'm really delighted for you - those two blocks of training together, even with the calf injury, brought you so far along. I'll be having a look at that training plan and back through your log when I'm taking on a marathon again. I hope you're having a well deserved rest :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Well done D great running. You really dug deep for your A goal. Congrats on a brilliant PB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Brilliant run and report D, delighted all that training brought out a great result.

Great report D, really brought me back to that buzzing feeling you get, when you know you've had a great run, Nicly done.

Thanks G, even though I was feeling the pain/effort then it I did have a few holy sh!te moments on the last mile thinking I have nailed this....just keep going now.
    tailgunner wrote: »
    Great report, and a rock solid performance.

Thanks very much tg, delighted with how it went and the training paid odd in spades.
    I was waiting until I had some peace, a big mug of coffee and a bar of galaxy chocolate to read this. Hats off to you on a fantastic training block and a really well executed race. I'm really delighted for you - those two blocks of training together, even with the calf injury, brought you so far along. I'll be having a look at that training plan and back through your log when I'm taking on a marathon again. I hope you're having a well deserved rest :)

Thanks Neady, it does feel like that. I recall reading marthastew's artist in the spotlight thread and I recall her saying she did two plans relatively close together and she felt it brought her along a lot. I think the two plans close together (albeit the same plan) have done something similar for me (relatively speaking!!). No niggles coming out of it all now so just have to rest/recover now and set the next target. Will leave it till later this week to go for an easy run, the 5K road club championships are on in Kerry this weekend. My club has asked all to attend even if walking, I will run it but it will relatively easy pace for that distance. The plan I used for this and Dublin is the Running Shoe Guru plan
    jake1970 wrote: »
    Well done D great running. You really dug deep for your A goal. Congrats on a brilliant PB.

Thanks L, I did a bit alright but thankfully it was there when I went for it which was a great feeling. Once I kept my head in the game in a few tough spots I was able to go for it.
    Brilliant run and report D, delighted all that training brought out a great result.

Thanks J, yup I was feeling a bit sorry for myself having missed out some races early in the year (and will miss more regular ones this year due to scheduling of real life stuff) but there's nothing to stop me completing a proper plan and making the gains I hopefully can achieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Wow, what a race! Chuffed for ya, D! Well done!

Wow, what a race! Chuffed for ya, D! Well done!

Thanks very much C!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Great job D. Always interesting to see the thought processes at work through a race like this. Very honest and informative report which I read twice. That was a fair wallop off your pb under the best of circumstances. On a day like that, on a tricky course, it was a superb achievement. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Nice report, very well paced, and there's plenty in there to give the injured/underachieving among us a little bit of hope :). Enjoy a few easy weeks before you plan ahead!

• Advertisement

denis b wrote: »
    Great job D. Always interesting to see the thought processes at work through a race like this. Very honest and informative report which I read twice. That was a fair wallop off your pb under the best of circumstances. On a day like that, on a tricky course, it was a superb achievement. Well done.

Thanks x2 Denis for reading it twice, it is one of the nice aspects to the long distances that you can have a few goals/strategies and time to adjust if needs be. Thought it would be good to share what I was thinking around it all. The reverse if I have came home in 3:51 I probably would have been pretty annoyed with myself but trusting in my training worked....this time!
    Nice report, very well paced, and there's plenty in there to give the injured/underachieving among us a little bit of hope :). Enjoy a few easy weeks before you plan ahead!

Thanks, touch wood I've not had anything that has lasted longer than six months and been able to generally keep running. I sometimes wish to be doing higher mileage but I think that is a number of years away as too much too soon and I find a silly niggle. Happy to be fit, healthy and running whilst getting faster which is a bonus! I may have been looking at half marathons earlier around June Bank Hol but time enough yet!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Legs were bunched but I was just so elated.

Now that's a an expression I haven't heard in a few years, and usually only in reference to broken computers. Thanks for bringing it back!

Now that's a an expression I haven't heard in a few years, and usually only in reference to broken computers. Thanks for bringing it back!

Haha I work with very old computers/tech for a living but they are very reliable thankfully!!

Catchup on the training log

Following the marathon I took most of the week off, my quads were feeling it for the first few days especially on the stairs. By Wednesday things seemed back to normal so figured I'd get to running within the next few days with some easy runs.

Thursday 23/03/2017

30min easy, 3.22mi @ 9:18min/mi.
    Legs felt alright enough and with a nice evening I took my first run back. No niggles coming off the back of the race.

Friday 24/03/2017

Rest

Saturday 25/03/2017

45min easy, 4.8mi @ 9:29min/mi.
    Probably the warmest day of the year I have ran in so far. I joked on my Strava update about don't give me sunshine and thanked not to have had such a warm day the previous Saturday as there's no way would I have ran as well and would have expected blisters.

Total mileage for the week was 8 miles.

Kerry Athletics Road Championships 5K race report

The annual Kerry Athletics Road Championships took place in Beaufort yesterday. This is the same venue as I've ran a 10K race on New Year's Day the last two New Year's Day so felt pretty comfortable driving over to give the race a go. I didn't expect much from it and said to my wife in the car I could probably run 23-24 mins without pushing it. It was only a week since the marathon and whilst I knew the race probably wasn't the best idea the club encouraged people to go to support the event and I was feeling good.

Splits of 6:35/7:21/7:22min/mi will tell you how my approach went. I started off pretty lively and just keyed into a level of discomfort I was thinking was going to be okay for the 21/23 mins. The first half of the course was pretty fast but the second half had a few little climbs that hurt a bit. On the one around the 3K mark I passed a Listowel AC guy who had started walking. With no one to try chase down I was just giving it my best then to make sure that if he got a second wind he wouldn't come back and past me. I was thinking maybe there was a change of a team medal here and I was giving it as good as I could. Breathing was pretty heavy but the effort remained pretty constant throughout the second half of the race and that was bloody hard. I remember why I kinda hate 5Ks!! I tried predicting my finish time after looking at my watch but I wasn't able to work it out. Just into the finishing straight I could see 21:xx on the clock (someone was standing in front of it) and picked it up the best I could with 21:41 on it as I passed the line. Took a min or two to get my breath back and then cheered the clubmates that followed soon after. My wife was running as well, told her before that I really love when we're attending/running events together!

I suspect with better pacing I could have got a pb as well. This was an official race but I managed to get around in 4.94KM/3.07mi with just sticking on the black stuff. Not sure how the measurement is done but comparing with a few other runners they got the same as me and some others got the exact 5K so I guess it depends on how tight a line you ran. My actual pb I have recorded from a race last summer that measured about 0.1mi short and I came home that day in 21.30 so 21.41 is probably my proper pb.

Bit of a cool down jog around with the head coach in the club who ran a superb time of 20:08, so close to sub 20 but the climbs in the second half took it away. Afterwards in the hall we hung around to see who was picking up medals as some of the o40/50 ladies and a few of the guys in the o60 age group are always good to get a medal with the times they can do. Met TBubendorfer of this parish for the first and had a chat for a few mins (well done your medal), nice to compare notes on countryside running!

They started naming out the winners in the different age categories with some clubmates as I suspected getting medals, then into the in the o35 male results and I saw the first man up and thought I wonder what did he run as he was down the road a bit from me I guess, then in second place I just heard, my fullname and my clubname and I was thinking "ah no way I didn't did I". I won't lie I was/am really thrilled! My first ever medal for placing at a race and it's simply lovely. A fellow clubmate also got the third place medal as well so we did well in the category. Hoping my coach can get graded down into the o35 results (he is o45) so we can get a team medal too!

Really enjoyed the day and we'd a great turnout I think with 12 athletics across the age/gender categories, we came away with 8 medals and there's the possibility of some team medals to follow. Would definitely expect some of the ladies to get a team medal...not really sure how the categories works for teams, you can score in two age categories for a team so we'll see in a few days via the club.

Strava link

My precious
    412973.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Congrats D, that's a fine achievement in a 5k, only a week after a marathon :eek:

Nice one D, great result delighted for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Nice one Diego and off the back of a marathon, that's some going. A medal to be very proud of :)

Congrats D, that's a fine achievement in a 5k, only a week after a marathon :eek:
    Nice one D, great result delighted for you.
    Nice one Diego and off the back of a marathon, that's some going. A medal to be very proud of :)

Thank you all kindly, I was in two minds about doing the race at all to be honest as was wary of injury but was glad I did it with how it turned out. I hadn't raced a 5K since last July so no clue where I am with that distance (suspect conditioned/recovered/paced properly I could get closer to 21 flat). One of the kids in the club is around that pace so maybe I'll try keep up with him at a parkrun someday and let him pace me, how can I play it cool and not huff and puff too much trying to keep up with a 9 year old!?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Wow, that's pretty awesome! You're flying these days!

Advertisement