Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Well done D great result, you looked to be cruising at mile 19, training really
    paid off.

Thanks G, was going alright enough but was started to feel a bit jaded. Was checking off the villages and the different people I met and would see along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Well done D all the hard work paying off delighted for you.

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Well done D all the hard work paying off delighted for you.

Thanks very much A!

Dublin City Marathon 2016 race report

TLDR
    Chip Time: 3:57:34 (Target Sub 4, started with a 3:59 pace band on to counter for the extra few hundred meters that would be ran)
    Previous Best: 4:12:54 (from my one marathon to date in DCM 2015)
    Distance: 26.2miles (26.57 on my GPS, I was easily 0.2m out in the early miles as trying to run a good line was impossible with the 4hr pace crowds, I used the mile markers/total race time/pace band as reference to how I was doing...checking after each mile)
    Avg overall pace: 8:57min/mi (from my watch)
    Didn't wear a heart rate monitor this year, find the chest band annoying late on in long distance races.
    Training plan used: Running Shoes Guru plan
    Delighted with the day, felt it couldn't have went any better with a 1:59:06 first half and 1:58:28 second half, stuck in/around 4 hour pacers till halfway and then pushed on to run on my own for the second half.

Preamble
    Having been to the expo on Friday I had the laziest day I possibly could on Saturday, properly did nothing and even had the feet up at times. Not normally the best for doing that. I was toying with the idea of hoovering my car for something to do but curbed my enthusiasm and stuck to sport on tv.
    Left my parents place in Laois around 7:15 that evening after eating all I was planning to eat for the day. Got to my brothers place in Clondalkin around half 8 after a few pitstops. Laid out all my gear for the morning in the room, and got my breakfast prepped. Sipped High Five Zero all day and evening and had a banana before going to be around 10 (having changed my watch back an hour already....just in case).
    Slept pretty well and the alarm went off at 6am then (straight away to the toilet, no caffeine needed here). Shower, gear on, breakfast and out the door with my wife around 7:20am to head into town in the car. Plan was to park in Stephen's Green car park along with many others it seemed. Got parked up around 8:15 and left my wife to get sorted with the ticket office/pre-booking. Made my way to Merrion Square then.

Needed to use the toilet and spotted a few going into the Merrion Hotel so did same before dropping my bag to the bag drop. Keeping a 6 euro jacket I got in Penney's to keep warm in the singlet I had on.
    Felt like I didn't have anytime to hang around really and went straight to the starting area for Wave 2. Met my team mate from work and got a quick picture, such a nice morning as we ambled down to the pen. I saw MrStew tying his laces and I just had a quick word to jokingly say nice and steady pacing please...I was more killing my own nerves with the joke and thankfully MrStew laughed back nicely at it.
    My work colleague and I seemed reasonably relaxed with it all, I was just itching to go. We compared plans a bit as walked down, I broke off then to do a warm up of sorts....and use the facilities yet again.

Back to the holding area then and met some running friends from home, walked down with them to starting area as the Wave 2 got into position.

My strategy for the day for my Goal A of sub 4 was going to be one of three depending on how it was going, stick in/around the 4 hour pacers but do not pass them till halfway and then push on if things were going very well. Version 2 of this was to stick with the pacers till Fosters Ave and then push on. Final version was to hold on to the pacers all the way around. After that it would be Goal B of trying to just break my time from last year if all was failing, Goal C was going to be finish.

With that we were off.

Mile 1-3 (9:17, 8:45, 9:05)
    I was about 10-15 seconds behind the red balloons of the 4hr pacers so with that I just tipping away trusting them to do their routinely excellent job.
    The crowd was something else, even with holding back a bit from the pacers it was tough on the corners with coming to an almost standstill at least twice. The first water station in Stoneybatter was utter carnage and I just skipped it, knew there was another one coming up soon enough.

Mile 3-6 (8:49, 8:54, 9:10)
    Into the park now, one almost too close encounter with a big lad that saw fit to step into my path off the footpath. Think I might even have put up my hands to my back as if he was tripping me like that he was going to be catching me too! Anyways no harm but I was looking forward to Chesterfield Ave for it to open up a bit more.
    Met my wife as scheduled after Mile 4, same place as last year and I took a pre readied bottle of Zero and a gel off her. Took that gel as planned after 40mins as was the plan for the day....taking 5 in total.....alternated orange/berry flavour and with the odd cliff shot block for something chewy here and there.
    By this point I was gone past one of the 4 hour pacers and was quite close to MarthaStew who was keeping the middle of the group in check. MrStew was holding the line in front. Was feeling the need to pee fairly bad...so pulled off to the side before the Castleknock Gates and took a 10-15 second comfort break. Back into the group then and even have lost the few seconds I was still where I was meant to be so just held steady instead of chasing back up.

Mile 7-9 (8:55, 8:39, 9:04)
    Through the epic noise that was Castleknock, such a buzz. Got a shoutout from a colleague from work, gave him the thumbs up.
    Pace picked up a bit here back in the park but was holding position steady, figure what time is being gained is going to be lost in Ballyfermot and Inchicore with the climbs in that section. Met my running colleague from work here on course again and we ran together up till getting towards Kilmainham.
    We were quite near the fella with the Eiffel tour when he clipped the trees. I was just looking at the whole setup wondering was it "heavy" in that it seemed to be more metal than plastic. Utter madness and thought there must have been some political point to it, I just want to run marathons as fast as I can whenever I do them....literally carrying as little as I feasibly can on my person.

Mile 10-12 (8:48, 9:02, 8:53)
    Was starting to feel the general heat of the day a bit in Ballyfermot. Was worried if I was going too fast but had a quick little check and all systems were fine so just held the pace and figured it will come back. The climbs here were okay, just took it handy and nice short steps. I was beside MarthaStew when her balloon went pop. She took it her stride literally and gathered up the remains. Getting to run beside an expert pacer like this for a mile or two was an education....so so good at what she is doing. I had a quick work with her around James's hospital, telling her my plan and she gave my a quick word to tell me I was doing well as I had started a bit behind them. Spotted a few friends on route and gave them a wave. We seemed to be at the turn at Dolphin's Barn in no time. Huge crowds here again, they seemed to close in each side of the road but I just focused on eyes straight ahead with a small clear line in front to the side of the road.

Mile 13-15 (8:57, 9:14, 8:58)
    Through the halfway point here, checked my watch and it was 1:59:06 so was happy with how it was going. I was level with Mr. Stew just before the halfway gantry and kinda like how it felt in Charleville with the 1:45 pacer at 10miles I just eased ahead. No acceleration needed but just maintaining how I felt. As I'd just been following the red balloons for the first half, now the plan was to keep them behind and see could I pull off a negative split. I felt Goal A (Strategy 1) was on the cards and I was going to go with it....this was time to trust in myself and the training plan and do my best over the hopefully less than 2 hours to come. I thought I'd be looking at my watch more but I just kept checking at each mile where I was on the race time vs my pace band.
    The next few miles just clocked off. I met another old work colleague in the crowd coming up to Crumlin hospital, another cheer/boost for me...loved it to be honest! Gave a shout out to Smashiner with his boards sign one, fairplay for the support!

Mile 16-18 (8:59, 8:57, 8:58)
    Was wholly loving this part of the race, I seemed to be progressing well but just wasn't feeling it. I knew I was going well but the doubts were still there. I remember the watch clicking over the 2hr 30mins run and thinking f sake I need to run for another 1hr 30mins here. It was nothing physical but just needed to check my brain a bit. Coming into Terenure I spotted fellow 2015 novice neildafunkone marshaling on the left hand side. I called him out and he responded giving me a very affirmative update on where I was relative to the pacers and how I was doing. It was the briefest exchange Neil but it helped a lot with how I was feeling. I starting thinking today is the day, you may never get another chance as good as this and it's going well. I knew I wasn't struggling physically but it was just something...in the end I remember thinking my wife will be at mile 19/20 near the Luas stop and I was looking forward to seeing her so shut up brain and keep going legs.
    Also I had a weird moment around the water stop at 16.5 miles. I spotted some water crates just before the water stop and I bent down mid stride to nab a bottle. Kinda jarred my left knee a bit and it took about 5-10mins for it to wear off. Thankfully nothing to it and then forgot about it.

Mile 19-21 (8:45, 8:41, 8:41)
    Met KennyG here as we rounded a bend, another boost when someone who knows what you are trying for tells you you're looking good. Thanks G!
    Crowds were starting to swell around Milltown and was wondering would I spot my wife, she had another bottle of Zero for me (I had manufactured one for myself in the mean time, took water at every stop and also mouth rinsed with the Lucozade). Just as we came near the stop I saw her and grabbed the bottle and spare gel. I think I just got out a thanks as I was motoring now. Up that hill in Milltown and not the next people I would see would be Nop and Firedance. Also having ran this section of the course a few weeks earlier my points of reference were good.
    Through the turn for Clonskeagh and Nop and Firedance were right there, cheers for the cheers guys and fairplay for standing in that spot so long to support so many...the Novices were well looked after this year in your care.

Mile 22-24 (9:11, 9:13, 8:58)
    Draggy oul Clonskeagh how I dislike you to run through you but needs must and was going as best as I could. I met another colleague from work in the exact same position as he was last year, nice call out from him. Again appreciated a lot when the going was tough.
    I was willing myself forward to Heartbreak Hill and I got up in a good pace, I did recall the great expression of yaboya's about it. Funny how when little else is going on in the brain that things like that come into mind.
    Down onto Foster's Ave and whilst the pace wasn't anything hectic it was a lot faster than year. Spotted my favourite banner of the entire race there, an old lady had written on one of the signs, Pain in temporary, Pride is forever...it made me smile a lot for a second and the fuel I needed for the last push for home. UCD flyover came pretty quickly, just cresting to the top of the incline a guy nearby me started to pull up and wheeze a bit, myself and another lady shouted to the medics to go assist which they dully did. Hope he was okay.
    Oddly I had a little recall to last year here coming down the flyover when I got the slightest ripple of a cramp into my calf muscle...very very slightly but I was wary of it and to not push too hard for a bit now.

Mile 25-Finish (8:54, 8:58, 4:24)
    Final drive for home now, I had looked behind me coming down Nutley Lane to see if I could see the red balloons and I could. Estimated that they were a minute or so behind me. Time to not f it up I figured, I just started thinking about every single stride, focusing on my knee drive...no idea why but it seemed to generate some pace. Passing people at a decent pace now, going past the Mile 25 marker there was two people who just stopped to walk and I shouted at them going by to come on. They both started running which I was glad to have been of some assistance/hopefully not annoying. It my head I was just screaming to myself...come on now 1 mile to go...it's in the bag just go for it. Got another call out from an school mate who I had not seen since this time last year in the same place, nice surprise yet again. I think it was this spot I spotted TFGR across the road from me, I gave her a big shout and she cheered bag. Crowds really swelling now and noise building, my wife was there just as were crossing Mount St bridge....she gave me a nice cheer. And I could just see the finishing gantry coming into view. The moment I came for, the oasis after the end of almost 4 hours running, odd experience in that whilst the pain is pretty sweet you do enjoy the moment and have to take it in. How many times in your life will you get to have 100s of people cheer as you give it your all to the finish line. I managed to find a last push and got down to the low 8min/mi pace. Through the finish line and delighted to see that I was sub 4 on the gun time as well, really wanted that too for the AAI results what go back to the club which are on gun time.

Crossing the line I met an old friend Pat Hooper, former Olympic marathoner from Moscow 80 who was marshaling in the finish area. It was a great surprise and I gave him a big sweaty hug. He congratulated me on the sub 4 finish time and told me he thought he'd never see the day meeting me crossing a marathon finishing line. That moment meant a lot and I will carry it with me. I first met Pat 14 years ago when I worked with him on college work experience and then again over the next 2 summers eventually replacing him in the IT department of my company when he moved out the branch in Raheny. Over the last 3 years or so since I have lost the weight I was carrying (I used to be 21.5 stone) he was been very complimentary/supportive to me with the running.

After that then I got a ridiculous wave of emotion, had a right oul cry for about 5mins. I just remembered back to some of the pain/annoyance that I had experienced when training for DCM 2015. It really annoyed me at the time thinking I was doing something that might be bad for me or was too much, I even wondered at the time had I got bad joints from carrying extra weight for the few years as I had done so. My physio in the last year had given me exercises to do that did the job for me to get me stronger, the pain was gone and I was better able for the adaptions needed for the distance. Guess it was a combination of the last of those demons plus getting my goal time.

Afterwards I met my wife and took my time getting changed before heading to McGrattans and catching up with some boardsies and friends from home who were also running on the day. Hell of a great day to be honest, loved it all bar meeting and hearing of a few who did not get their targets but what can you do really only wish someone the best for their next attempt and try offer something constructive to help ease their pain.

I suspect I might be back running DCM 2017.....

Chip time 3:57:34 (1:59:06/1:58:28)
    Gun time 3:59:32
    AAI position 2005/3695 (231/321 in MS Category)

Strava Link

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Well done on very well paced race and the negative split. Well inside the sub 4. Well deserved diego

• Advertisement

Younganne wrote: »
    Well done on very well paced race and the negative split. Well inside the sub 4. Well deserved diego

Thanks very much Anne, it couldn't really have went any better. Friend of mine texted me yesterday and asked if he'd asked me before the race for a perfect scenario it would have been that really. Delighted to have got through training and the race itself in good shape, giving me ideas about doing it all again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

What a great report D really well done, you've had such a fantastic year clocking up all those pb's, how are you going to top it next year :D Congrats on the sub 4 enjoy the moment. Sorry I missed you in Mc Grattan's unfortunately I missed a few people.

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    What a great report D really well done, you've had such a fantastic year clocking up all those pb's, how are you going to top it next year :D Congrats on the sub 4 enjoy the moment. Sorry I missed you in Mc Grattan's unfortunately I missed a few people.

Thanks A, indeed I am very happy with how the year has gone and with the race passed ticked off all the rest of my goals for the year. Haha next year I think I might try stick to structured training all round instead of just doing it for DCM.
    Will have a look Myles's grad plans from last year and see what I tie that around. Hoping I can progress a bit more and think I can...bit by bit.

No probs and I think I missed a few people as well as didn't mingle much barring from the front of the pub. Planning to do the 5 miler in Raheny in Jan so hope to see ye then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Well done D and congrats on the PB. You had a great year running wise and a perfectly executed marathon must have been the icing on the cake for you. Sorry that I missed you in McGrattans, the craic was getting going and I had to leave unfortunately(dam pesky kids:))

jake1970 wrote: »
    Well done D and congrats on the PB. You had a great year running wise and a perfectly executed marathon must have been the icing on the cake for you. Sorry that I missed you in McGrattans, the craic was getting going and I had to leave unfortunately(dam pesky kids:))

Thanks very much L, it's been good for sure and motivation to keep it going now. No probs at all and sure catch you again at some stage. That is a fair time you logged there for the distance, well done and keep it up!

• Advertisement

....now where was I

Better do a catch up here now before too many weeks past. Felt a bit stiff on the Tuesday after the marathon but aside from that there was no issues, no blisters, no niggles, nothing...a little bit surreal to be honest.
    Went for my first run on the Friday after the race.

Friday 04-11-2016

40min easy @ 9:44min/mi covering 4.1 miles.
    As it was mid term for my daughter I stayed up with here in Laois at my parents place. I did the run around there and don't recall much about it barring just being happy about getting back on the road.

Total mileage for the week was 30.3 miles.

Sunday 06-11-2016

60min easy @ 9:39min/mi covering 6.2 miles.
    Back home in Kerry and did this at 9am on Sunday morning. Keep it nice and easy throughout.

Monday 07-11-2016

25min cycle, tried this in the evening time after work in the dark (nice one silly time change). Running in the dark with a high viz and head torch works well for me this time of year. Cycling though is pretty pointless, maybe with a more powerful light it might be better but just not very comfortable on the bike in the dark. Will mean sticking to weekends for cycling/cross training but that's okay. Have an exercise bike at home if the masochism of the treadmill is not enough for me.

Tuesday 08-11-2016

40min on the treadmill, 3.7 miles.
    Can't recall what I did with run on the treadmill, typically I will vary incline/speed when it gets to me. The pace on the treadmill is always odd though, maybe it's the whole mechanical nature of the belt clattering away below you but seems faster than the road at any given pace. Useful for dark/bad evenings.

Thursday 11-11-2016

45min easy @ 9:40min/mi, 4.65miles.
    Did this after work in the pitch dark with the head torch, nice run and enjoyed it. Can't beat a run after work to blow away the stresses of a tough day.

Saturday 12-11-2016

A little race to blow out the cobwebs...first pace work since the the marathon. Local event in Listowel by a group there to raise funds for treating sick kids, missed it last year due to advice not to run for two weeks after the marathon but this year I was going to run the 10K event (figured the half marathon would be too much).
    Did a warm up of sorts, 0.3mi. My plan was to run it at half marathon effort (8min/mi approx but more based on effort than anything) and see how it went. First half of the course had a good climb in it with some nice inclines in the second half.
    In the end I did the first 5K in about 24 mins, and given I was feeling good having passed a few people in the steady climb in the 3rd mile...I decided to give it a good push for the second half of the race and came home in 47:05 (47:08 on the official results but I only have my gross time, net time not there for me for some reason).
    Really nice event and one I intend to support where possible, as I was running in the last 50 meters or so my daughter stepped out to join me crossing the line. Got some really nice photos with her which was great. She's taken a keen interest in running as she's been to a lot of races in the last few years, looking forward to junior parkrun starting up in Tralee in 2 weeks as I am sure she'll be dying to run it.

Total mileage for the week: 21.05 miles.

Tuesday 15-11-2016

30min easy-hard on the treadmill, 3.1 miles in total.
    Again varying incline/speed to keep the brain going.

Wednesday 16-11-2016

50min easy @ 9:38min/mi, 5.2 miles.
    Late evening run this @ 8pm, baltic cold out but no matter as warmed up to some extent on the run. Gloves absolute requirement these days I find, my poor fingers do be in bits with the cold.

Friday 17-11-2016

30min easy on the treadmill, 3.1 miles again.
    Minding my daughter as my wife was away so the iPad was dispatched. I noted Laura Graham managing her DCM training on a treadmill and it's looking like I will be attempting similar as I have strong ideas of a marathon in March so can expect at least two runs a week on the machine.
    I am thinking of ensuring to getting the Wednesday session and weekend work out doors...we'll see.

Total mileage : 11.4 miles, laughable.

Unfortunately there's been a significant family illness with my mother in law over the last few weeks so a lot of disruption at home and it has meant time away from home visiting in the hospital. Last weekend was spent in Cork and a lot of next weekend will be in Dublin. I am getting runs in when I can but I can't complain to be honest. I am looking at the Tralee marathon in March, figuring to go with the same very manageable plan I used for Dublin. I think I can manage this and tip away with things where I can. I have been completing the James Dunne 30 day challenge this month as well, was flying it early in the month but have missed a few days and well slipped behind with day 11 just done tonight.

Sunday 21-11-2016

60min easy @ 9:21min/mi, 6.43miles.
    Ran from the hotel we were staying in to Cork Airport and then back again, steady climb for the first 2.5 miles or so but on the return route it was pretty fast. Getting down to faster than marathon pace.

Rest of the week ahead, expecting more treadmill maybe tomorrow night and more travelling. Hopefully things will settle down and can get some structure going. I was looking at the Stook 10 miler race on Sunday if I was near that part of the country but we'll see. Sure marathon training is supposed to start on Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Sorry to hear about your mother in law Diego, hope it all settles down for you soon.

Sounds like a great plan for the Tralee marathon - it will be great to do one on your doorstep. Is there much support down there for it?

I'm similar to you regarding the treadmill, even HM pace feels really fast on the treadmill (with a 1% incline) but outside in the fresh air it's much more manageable. I guess the foot strike is very repetitive on the treadmill so it can stress the same area of the leg.

Nice 10km there as well, the marathon cycle has stood to you :)

Neady83 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about your mother in law Diego, hope it all settles down for you soon.

Sounds like a great plan for the Tralee marathon - it will be great to do one on your doorstep. Is there much support down there for it?

I'm similar to you regarding the treadmill, even HM pace feels really fast on the treadmill (with a 1% incline) but outside in the fresh air it's much more manageable. I guess the foot strike is very repetitive on the treadmill so it can stress the same area of the leg.

Nice 10km there as well, the marathon cycle has stood to you

Thanks Neady, hopefully so....all going well she'll be home in a few weeks. It will take her a few months to recover but fingers crossed after that it will have all been for the better.

The support for the marathon is not bad I think, looks to be a better event this year, certainly the aspects of the route near Tralee would have people out but a lot of the run would be on your own. Fancying the mental challenge of doing a marathon without some lovely people cheering me every 10 yards!! Plus seeing if I can the training done without the long fine evenings!

My idea is that I will aim to do the marathon but if training is disrupted too much I will switch focus in the last month to just do the half on the day, not sure of the route yet to know how hilly it is....will give it a drive when I get a chance as it's a new route this year. I would hope to better my time from Dublin (predictors tell me I can go anything from 15-20 mins faster, I am looking 2-8 mins faster so 3:55-3:50), not sure if I'd break my Charleville HM time so more inclined to go for the full and keep the powder dry on a half for later in the year.

The event has been taken over by a AC in Tralee so expecting a lot of the other clubs in the area are going to give more support than in recent years.

Indeed I don't know what it is but I just fine the treadmill a bit unsettling, you're kinda out of control of your pace as such in that it can feel like the treadmill is driving. Useful to have though.

My second fastest 10K (40-50 secs off my pb from a flat course last Aug)actually so was surprised with that as not an easy first half of the race.

Tuesday 22-11-2016

45min easy, 4.7miles @ 9:34min/mi.
    Late run starting at 8:40pm, grand run on the roads in the dark with the head torch from DCM and a high viz. Crisp evening.

Thursday 24-11-2016

30min easy, 3.22miles @ 9:30min/mi.
    Up in Dublin for work so did this run out from my brothers place in Clondalkin to Newlands Cross and back again.

Saturday 26-11-2016

30min easy, 3.21miles @ 9:21min/mi.
    Staying at my parents place in Laois, had a shiny new pair of Nike Pegasus that I wanted to try out. Have had it in mind to get a pair of these for ages and in Kildare Village last night I got a pair of the current model -1 (version 32) for 64 euro. Part of my reasoning for this is the first pair of runners I did my couch to 5K training in were Nike's so have some affinity, plenty of runners seem to trust them for training (Sonia O'S being one I note from Strava), they feel comfortable and I am wary of being too embedding to one company's shoes/models (I have 5 pairs of Saucony Breakthrus, 1 pair of Saucony Ride 7 and a pair of Saucony Kinvara 7s). I love the Breakthrus and do most of my running in them.....the Kinvaras have been great since getting them and I use them more for races/sessions but would like more variety to my locker. Anyways the Pegasus's were grand, more squishy that I normally prefer but will get some mileage in them, at the price I couldn't leave them behind me.

Total weekly mileage: 17.6 miles. Better than last week.
    Week 1 of Tralee marathon training kicks off tomorrow with the Stook 10 mile race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

What this marathon cycle looking like, same approach as Dublin, seemed to
    Work for you.

What this marathon cycle looking like, same approach as Dublin, seemed to
    Work for you.

Same approach as Dublin, Running Shoe Guru's intermediate plan. The plan worked very well for me, got to the start line fresh and in good nick and through with no ill effects....getting my target time. Haven't set a target for Tralee but be nice to better my 3:57:34 Dublin time by a few mins and then have a crack at 3:50 for Dublin 2017. I don't have any hm races on my plan yet but would see about doing one in Feb maybe.

Stook 10 Mile race report aka why/how not to run a race...

Signed up late for this race, it has caught my eye a few weeks back on the boards event thread particularly the timed flying mile caught my eye. Fancied a good shot at running my fastest ever mile and km. Both stand from the start of a local 5K race in March last year where I recorded 6:52 for the mile and 4:01 for the km. The first k of that race had been a sharp downhill for 200-300 meters and then a gentle decline for the rest of the K....the times I set that date I had yet to bet so said Stook would be the place to do it with that fine downhill timed mile.

Arrived in Dungarvan village about an hour before the race and went to collect my number, had hoped to pick up a t-shirt but they were all sold out.

Back to the car then to complete final prep for the run and headed to the start area then, doing a 5 min warmup before the race. Really nice atmosphere had built in the village and conditions whilst a bit cold were good. Was wearing gloves...which were driving me mad after 4 miles and were secreted into my shorts then.

Plan for the race was to try for 8min/mi (targeting sub 1:20)...when travelling over to do the race (starting the race I adjusted for my pb of 1:18:52 and targeted 7:53min/mi, no idea why I did that as the route was not going to be a pb but silly me), figuring that I would lose a minute or so going up Stook hill but gain it back easily enough the other side.

Mile 1
    Into position for the start, probably about 10 rows back from the front...road a bit narrow here but enough space. With that we were off to the sound of a shot gun! Flat fast start, we headed back into the village to the sound of Chariots of Fire. Great atmosphere passing through as we headed out the main road to turn left into a downhill section. Split 7:45.

Mile 2
    First bit of climbing now, 8:10min/mi for the split. Pace had eased off a bit but was not too worried and felt the effort was about right and could maintain it.

Mile 3
    Faster part of the course now with a 7:34min/mi split, running on country road/lanes but the surface was good and safe. Lots of undulating up/down but manageable.

Mile 4
    Back into the village now as we passed where the 5K runners were going to finish, felt a bit envious as I was probably feeling the effort a small bit. Good crowds cheering us through the village as we ran up the road we ran the first 1/4 mile on. Split was 7:48. I was def chasing the pb.

Mile 5
    Through the 5 miles in 39:10 so if I could do another 5 miles the same pace I would come in 1:18:20. Decided I would try keep it going now. 7:49 for this mile. Was running in a good group of 4/5 runners for the few miles at this point which made things easier in ways.

Mile 6
    I knew the hills were coming but had myself in the mentality now of pushing it. One of the guys who was running beside me told me the hills would start at the end of this mile and where there was a sting in the tail that there is a point where you think you are done but there's a bit more to come. He used the phrase, "they will pull the legs off you". In my head I was thinking of the 10K race I did two weeks back and was feeling generally strong. Split for this mile was 8:07.

Mile 7
    Nasty nasty mile, 9:24 was the split. Steady climbing as you meandered around and up a bending lane up the hill. I passed a few people on this mile but I laughed at one point when I saw my pace, getting into the high 9min/mi. The pb was not going to be broken today. Figured I will still get sub 1:20 if I don't lose too much time as the flying mile was too come.

Mile 8
    Into the last bit of climbing, felt I was gaining pace now and running pretty well. Passing a few people on the hills.
    8:24 for this mile. Passed the rave for the brave here if I recall right, basically a bunch of kids with loud music and a mike cheering you up the last of the hills. It did help as it seemed to be the middle of nowhere.
    Coming to the end of this mile I eased off to get my breath ahead of the flying mile where I could spot the timing mat for about 200 meters ahead.
    Took in the nice view at the top of the hill.

Mile 9
    Oh holy f, I have never ran as fast in my life. Absolutely bombing it my level best...glanced at the watch when it was safe to do so and spotted 5:4x being my pace. I can't even sprint that fast! Passed a lot of people going the hill, was watching my form and just aimed to give it my best.
    The decline eases a bit about half way through the mile but you can still keep a savage pace going. Only 1 person managed to pass me going down the hill and I easily passed around 10/12 people. Some appeared to be holding back somewhat, I call them smart people in hindsight.
    My watch gave me a 6:10 for the mile, I was out with the mile markers at that stage but a few meters so guessed it was a few seconds too fast. Looking back after the race I have a 3:45KM in there!

Mile 10
    Bang, pretty much as soon as the flying mile finished bang went my calf/achilles or something in that area. I hobbled over to the left to stop and stretch for a second. Didn't make any difference so figured just keep going. I walked for a min and then when it felt okay I got into an easy pace jog. Through the last mile it felt like droves of people passed me out. In my head I was thinking they'll all be saying that was the tool who flew past me on the hill....they were right, all of them from what I could tell.
    Kept it trotting along, finishing my last mile in 9:35. Felt a lot slower/sorer than that.

Over the last few meters there was some kids on both sides of the road so I took a few secs to high five them all....no idea why I did that but I think I remember reading something from FBOT's Boston report about him doing that and I also recall Nop mentioning something. Gave me a nice cheer up anyways!

Dropped into the physio tent after getting my cowbell and chatting with chap who warned me on the hills. Really nice guy and hope to bump into him again. When I was walking in the last mile he geed me up a bit and that was what got me running again. Physio said no damage done but just to mind it so have done so this week as it has been stiff...like a bad version of something I would get the odd time after astro. Did a 30min easy run tonight and all was fine, just slow!

Excellent race and I will be back, more careful next time though!

Gun time / Chip time: 1:21:15 / 1:21:09
    Position: 127/298

Flying mile: 6:12
    Position: 80/298

Estimating what I lost in the last mile I was on target for 1:19:40 or so, going the results and what I figured passed me in the last mile as I hobbled along I lost about 15 places.

Sounds like a good race, mind the leg.

Sounds like a good race, mind the leg.

Yup it is in fairness to it, very well organised and well supported by the locals. Plenty of club tops so people travel a bit for it which is a good sign.

Tralee Marathon 2017 week 1

Sunday 27-11-2016

Plan: Easy 45min; Core Training
    Actual: Stook 10 Mile race as above incl warm up. 10.55 miles

Monday 28-11-2016

Plan: Easy 30min; Flexibility Training
    Actual: Injury (Achilles)
    Did some heel drops on the stairs

Tuesday 29-11-2016

Plan: (Fartlek)- Easy 20min Warm-Up
    (should include jogging, some light drills/strides, and stretching),4x 30sec ‘Fast’, 90sec ‘Easy’, Easy 10min Warm-Down
    Actual: Injury (Achilles)
    More heel drops on the stairs

Wednesday 30-11-2016

Plan: Rest
    Actual: 30min easy, 3.1miles @ 9:46min/mi
    Ran this one slightly gingerly, achilles was holding steady but quads a bit tired. Stook definitely tested the body...
    Was glad to get back out as was concerned on Sunday evening about what I had done.

Thursday 01-12-2016

Actual: Rest

Friday 02-12-2016

Plan: 45min easy with 2x12 sec hill sprints and 10min cool down.
    Actual: Just 45min easy for this, covered 4.7miles @ 9:38min/mi. Legs feeling better than they did on Wednesday.

Saturday 03-12-2016

Plan: Rest or 30 min cross training

Achilles seems to be recovering well so must be careful/less stupid than last weekend.

Total mileage for the week: 18.35miles

• Advertisement

Have grown a bit tired of maintaining the log, will bring it to date again with a catchup on where I'm am at at the moment but we'll see after that. Not finding the time to do proper updates so not really seeing the point if not in a position or have the want to do the updates...anyways moan over.
    Also dealing with a calf niggle at the moment that's had two different physio visits over the last month, I think I am getting there with it and hoping to get back on my training plan proper over the coming weeks but suspect that the full marathon I was planning in March will become a half marathon.

Tralee Marathon 2017 week 2

Sunday 04-12-2016

Plan: Easy 50min
    Actual: 5.3miles @ 9:28min/mi. Give it was earlier in the month I don't have much of a recollection of this run. Was staying at my parents place in Laois so did the run early on the Sunday morning.

Monday 05-12-2016

Plan: 20-30min cross training
    Actual: 20min on the exercise bike at home.

Tuesday 06-12-2016

Plan: Easy 20min Warm-Up, Fartlek Strides: 6x 30sec ‘Fast’, 90sec ‘Easy’, Easy 10min Warm-Down
    Actual: 4.27mi in 41:07 @ 9:37min/mi.
    Calf was not feeling so good after the fourth interval...finished them out and ran the cool down but was a bit concerned.

Wednesday 07-12-2016

Plan: Easy 35min Run; Core and Flexibility
    Actual: Calf did not feel so good so booked a physio appointment.

Thursday 08-12-2016

Actual: 30min easy on treadmill, 2.8miles. Calf felt okay as such but knowing I had a physio appointment the next day part of the reason I ran this is to ensure the calf was still a bit aggravated the next day going for the appointment.

Friday 02-12-2016

Plan: Easy 45min, 4x 12sec Short Hill Sprints (full recovery between each), EZ 5min Jogging Warm-Down
    Actual: Physio appointment went fine, nothing to significant but just some tightness that needed to be worked out. She advised taking it easy on the pace front for a few days. No running for the day.

Saturday 03-12-2016

Plan: Rest or 30 min cross training

Total mileage for the week: 12.37miles

Tralee Marathon 2017 week 3

Sunday 11-12-2016

Plan: Easy 60min; Core and Flexibility Training
    Actual: Ran the Tralee Junior parkrun with my daughter at a very easy pace 2K/1.22mi in 17:23 @ 14:14min/mi. Some of this was walking my 4.5 year old, very enjoyable and hope to make it a regular routine
    Following that we headed over the annual Santa 5K run/walk in Tralee. That took myself, my wife and little girl 56 minutes, she ran the start of the race for about 500 meters then walked a bit up to near the 2K marker, I carried her on my shoulders for about 2/2.5K before getting her to run the last 500 meters or so.
    When I got home then I did a 30min easy run (3.1mi @ 9:41min/mi). Calf wasn't causing me any issues thankfully and just kept things at an easy pace as advised.

Monday 12-12-2016

Actual: Core and flexibility work at home.

Tuesday 13-12-2016

Plan: Easy 20min Warm-Up, Fartlek Strides: 8x 30sec ‘Fast’, 90sec ‘Easy’, Easy 10min Warm-Down
    Actual: 4.67mi in 45mins @ 9:36min/mi. I did the intervals but just between half marathon and full marathon pace (roughly 8min/mi and 9min/mi). Seemed to have gotten through them okay but basing on feeling I was slowing down as the intervals progressed on.

Wednesday 14-12-2016

Actual: 3.63mi in 35mins @ 9:38min/mi

Thursday 15-12-2016

Friday 16-12-2016

Plan: Easy 45min, 5x 12sec Short Hill Sprints (full recovery between each), EZ 5min Jogging Warm-Down
    Actual: Rest, was working in Dublin for two days and took advantage of being away from home and got my Christmas shopping done. Spent about a lot of the proceeding 3 days driving and that combined with the running I had been doing seemed to aggravate my calf a bit.

Saturday 17-12-2016

Plan: Rest or 20-30min cross training
    Actual: 5.25mi in 50min @ 9:33min/mi. This run went well up till about 20/25mins. It was quite cold and seemed to have taken me an age to warm up. About half way through the run I could start to feel my calf but being so SMRT I decided to proceed onwards, probably not the best idea. Another physio apt on the cards.

Total mileage for the week: 20.97miles

Tralee Marathon 2017 week 4

Sunday 18-12-2016

Plan: Easy 70min; Core and Flexibility Training
    Actual: No running, calf was not happy....neither was I.

Monday 19-12-2016

Actual: Exercise Bike (30 mins), Core and Flexibility training. Got a physio apt with DG (the main physio I attend, regular readers might recall him assisting me for DCM 2015 with the knee issue back then) for Tuesday evening.

Tuesday 20-12-2016

Plan: Easy 20min Warm-Up, Fartlek Strides: 10x 30sec ‘Fast’, 90sec ‘Easy’, Easy 10min Warm-Down
    Actual: Physio appt, back to DG and that went well. I was honest with him in how I figured I got the injury....combination of getting back into fast stuff too quickly after DCM and also then the incident at the Stook 10 miler.
    His prognosis was good though, concluded it to be a soleus issue (I had been concerned that maybe achilles was the issue) and gave me the guidance and advice I needed to manage. Particularly what sort of pain I can train through and when I can progress or need to step back. All going well it should keep me on the roads. That evening I completed new sets calf exercises 3x15 reps.
    The plan is to do these every second day typically on days that I am not running, there should be no pain with them or running itself and if I experience more pain after a run than before it I need to take a few days off.
    Proper pace work shouldn't be introduced until I can complete single leg jumps without any pain, I was able to do this in the clinic at the time so he felt confident what I had was minor and should be manageable but need to be careful as it can be tricky. Unfortunately DG is moving to Dublin in the new year and all I can say is that you folk up that end of the country will be well looked after by him if in his treatment.

Wednesday 21-12-2016

Actual: Treadmill 30min easy, 2.67mi

Thursday 22-12-2016

Actual: 65min cycle, calf exercises. Turned 35 today so guess that now makes me closer to 40 than 30 with every passing day. Would have liked to have ran on the day but marked it with a nice 65min cycle instead taking in some routes that I have not ran yet but wanted to check out.

Friday 23-12-2016

Plan: Easy 45min, 6x 12sec Short Hill Sprints (full recovery between each), EZ 5min Jogging Warm-Down
    Actual: Treadmill 40min easy, 3.73mi. DG advised to just run 30/40min for a week or two and see how the injury progressed. Also to keep it on the flat so using the treadmill for this and/or routes with little to no hills on the road. Calf seemed to be holding up well up.

Saturday 24-12-2016

Actual: Just did the calf exercises.

Total mileage for the week: 6.4miles. To be honest I was actually glad to have been able to run at all given how my leg felt earlier in the week. Just need to be patient.

Tralee Marathon 2017 week 5 (so far)

Sunday 25-12-2016

Plan: Easy 20min, Marathon Pace Tempo Run (30min @ 95-100% of Goal Marathon Pace, or GMP), Easy 20min Warm-Down; Core and Flexibility Training
    Actual: Santa got the job done today and once dinner et al was out of the way I stuck on the head torch and high viz vest and got a run done. 4.63mi in 45mins @ 9:45min/mi. Very handy pace and enjoyable run on such a quiet day on the roads. Pretty windy over the second half of the run but all good.

Monday 26-12-2016

Actual: 3.1mi in 25:33mins @ 8:05min/mi. Local fundraiser for Irish Cancer Society in neighbouring village. Ran this at a very easy pace having decided if I felt my calf at any point I would stop and walk. Half way through I leveled up beside a fella who I kinda recognised from his club top at races but had never met. He was in the same boat as me at the moment with some niggles and we just ran/talked the rest of the race home then. Funny passing out the poor young lads who had taken off like the clappers at the start of the race. Nice event and maybe if I am in better nick next year and fit to race it I would like to give it a go with a bit more pace.

Tuesday 27-12-2016

Actual: Rest, no issues after running two consecutive days and a good bit faster on the second day.

That's the updates done for now, hope you all had a lovely Christmas and continue to enjoy the few days off work if you have them. I will post an end of year update later in the week. All going well will have two more runs in the back by then and can hopefully start the new year back on track. There is a 10K race that I was hoping to race good and hard on new years day, I suspect I will still attend the event but will run it as a training run with maybe a fast last mile or two.

Hope calf little better soon D, look after yourself, maybe some fatigue still
    hanging around since DCM. Happy new year to you and the family.

Hope calf little better soon D, look after yourself, maybe some fatigue still
    hanging around since DCM. Happy new year to you and the family.

Thanks G, fingers crossed for sure. Just finding myself a bit impatient with it all. Think it will be a case of two steps forward and one step back with it. For now I am sticking with the same training plan, all going well I'll be able to run well in Raheny at the end of next month. Best wishes to you and the family too!

Tralee Marathon 2017 week 5 (part 2)

Up watching NFL, hence the late night update...got a bit of sleep in earlier!

Wednesday 28-12-2016

Plan: Easy 20min Warm-Up, Fartlek Strides: 5x 60sec ‘Fast’, 120sec ‘Easy’, Easy 10min Warm-Down
    Actual: 4.8mi easy in 45mins @ 9:25min/mi, easy effort run at my parents place in Laois.

Thursday 29-12-2016

Actual: Calf exercises

Friday 30-12-2016

Plan: Easy 45min, 6x 12sec Short Hill Sprints (full recovery between each), EZ 5min Jogging Warm-Down
    Actual: 5mi easy in 46:51 @ 9:22min/mi, only realized just as I finished my run that that was my final run of 2016. Ran around my birthplace village again and as part of my run I had a gawk at the old GAA pitch (and the new one being setup) in the village. Long time since I was down at the pitch and to be honest I could still remember some not so pleasant times there....not least how horrible running was made to feel as we were hounded around the pitch doing laps in training. Thankfully real running has treated me very well since taking it up in the last 4 years.

Saturday 31-12-2016

Actual: Calf exercises

Total mileage for the week: 17:53miles. Pretty happy with that and came through the week unscathed. Calf responding well to the day on/day off schedule with the exercises progressing nicely.

2016 wrap up (stealing Singer's table)

Distance|2014|2015|2016|Notes
    5K|22:55|22:50|21:30*|Race distance was short on this, recorded it as 3m/4.86K, expect I should have been closer to 21:59.
    5M|39:36|39:36|38:10|Set in Raheny in Jan, recorded 37:12 on my GPS during a 10K race in August so this is definitely soft, hopefully in good nick for Raheny again this year
    10K|48:16|47:15|46:21|Set during my club's annual 10K race which I will miss this year due to a wedding unfortunately
    10M|-|1:26:20|1:18:52|Set the same time to the very second in Tralee in Feb and Ballycotton in March, not racing either this year so will have to find another 10 miler to fit in somewhere
    HM|1:59:39|1:50:34|1:43:43|Set in Charleville, first time going sub 1:45 and I will be racing Charleville again in 2017
    M|-|4:12:54|3:57:34|DCM 2016 was good to me, planning for close to or sub 3:50 in DCM 2017

Total mileage for the year: 1127.26 miles (tallied throughout the year as part of the 1000 mile challenge).

The plan is to break each of the above times again this year, the only race I have signed up for so far is the Tralee Marathon in March. Training was disrupted in recent weeks with a calf niggle but that has responded very well to treatment and to my great surprise I broke my 10K pb in race today...coming home in 46:15 in relative comfort/control till the last K where I gave it a good push.

Races on the cards:
    Raheny 5 Mile
    Tralee Marathon
    Charleville Half Marathon
    DCM 2017

Happy new year to all here, thanks for checking in here and for the advice, support and kudos offered here and there. Best of luck to you all for your 2017 goals, go get it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

diego_b wrote: »
    Tralee Marathon 2017 week 5 (part 2)

Up watching NFL, hence the late night update...got a bit of sleep in earlier!

4 am! Packers fan? I thought I was pushing it staying up for the Giants/Washington game!
    All the best for 2017 diego, and well done on the PB.

• Advertisement

4 am! Packers fan? I thought I was pushing it staying up for the Giants/Washington game!
    All the best for 2017 diego, and well done on the PB.

I am indeed a Packers fan, only got into the game about 4 years ago but really enjoying it. A very happy Packers fan at the moment I should add!
    Thanks very much and best wishes for the year ahead for you too.

Advertisement