Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Sunday 14-05-2017

Tralee junior parkrun in the morning with my daughter, if I could only get her to stop looking behind her!! She ran well though and again a good finish. 1.2miles in 17:18.

When I got home then my first ever brick session..

Cycle 1 - 30 mins, 6.72 miles @ 13.2 mph avg pace (legs tired and a head wind for the first half of the cycle)
    Transition - 1 min (dropping bike to home and back out the door)
    Run 1 - 30 mins, 3.4 miles @ 9.03 min/mi (ooh jelly legs for a few mins, also pace wise much quicker than I'd expected)
    Transition - 2 min (back home for the bike, wife thinks I've lost my mind as not fully explained what I was at)
    Cycle 2 - 12 mins, 2.87 miles @ 14.3 mph (much better and faster)
    Transition - less than a minute
    Run 2 - 5.5 mins, 0.6 miles @ 8:58 min/mi

Was pretty happy with this and planning to repeat it next Sunday with a backpack on as will be on the day...and increase in distances. Wore my trail runners on the bike so no need to change in transition and that seems to work well. Also wore standard running tights (no padding) and would like to get up to 20K cycle distance to see I am okay with that....or at least so my ass is. As would prefer that setup for the event.

Day 14 of the 30 day challenge.

Monday 15-05-2017

Day 15 of the 30 day challenge.

Tuesday 16-05-2017

45 min easy pace run at lunchtime. 4.8 miles @ 9:21 min/mi.
    Not got enough sleep the last few nights so paired with busy weekend pretty tired doing this today. Earlier night tonight.

Day 16 of the 30 day challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

You can get cycling underwear which is perfect for run/bike combo, the padded shorts are too uncomfortable to run in but these are much thinner but still gives a little bit of padding where needed :) or you could go the full Tri route with one of these (am gonna be kicked off here now for sure :D)

You can get cycling underwear which is perfect for run/bike combo, the padded shorts are too uncomfortable to run in but these are much thinner but still gives a little bit of padding where needed :) or you could go the full Tri route with one of these (am gonna be kicked off here now for sure :D)

I have some of Lidl's finest cycling underwear so will give this weekend's training a go and see if I need to use it. Hoping I can get away without it as the first cycle in the event is 20K...which I think I can get done in around an hour if I am not fecked from the kayak (still needing to get some training on these)...will be up in Dublin the week before DAR so will see if I can do it there even. You did something in the docks there recently?

Haha indeed you'll be hunted out, for some reason when I looked at the pictures of your man there all I could see was Ned Flanders.

TheSimpsons1317-1.jpg

Yep, This is the one I did in Grand Canal Dock, tell them you're doing an adventure race and they'll run through whatever you want to know. Try and get some practice turning, reversing, stopping! and a bit of speed :) You won't be fecked from the Kayak, it's only 1km - just make sure you engage your core so you're not using your shoulders to paddle (:D get me giving advice after one adventure race!) You'll absolutely do the 20km in under an hour, not a bother to you. Just had a look at the course there, looks fantastic, you'll have a ball!

Yep, This is the one I did in Grand Canal Dock, tell them you're doing an adventure race and they'll run through whatever you want to know. Try and get some practice turning, reversing, stopping! and a bit of speed :) You won't be fecked from the Kayak, it's only 1km - just make sure you engage your core so you're not using your shoulders to paddle (:D get me giving advice after one adventure race!) You'll absolutely do the 20km in under an hour, not a bother to you. Just had a look at the course there, looks fantastic, you'll have a ball!

Thanks for that, not sure if their dates suit unfortunately but we'll see what I can work out. I think I have found some place in Dingle that do it so might give them a shout. We've a christening on this Sat and a wedding next Sat up the country which is eating into my potential days for this but might see if they have something this Sunday.
    I did do canoeing/kayaking when I was younger so not too concerned with it but would like a refresher....ta for the tips as I probably would just use my arms so that's good to know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Nice brick Diego especially getting the run to bike and bike to run combo in :) Ah the jelly legs, isn't is surprising how fast you're running even though you feel like you're crawling.

Neady83 wrote: »
    Nice brick Diego especially getting the run to bike and bike to run combo in :) Ah the jelly legs, isn't is surprising how fast you're running even though you feel like you're crawling.

Thanks, it felt very odd alright as I was focusing on keeping it easy pace but would have easily slipped down to the marathon pace. Found the sensation on the quads interesting but guess lik everything you get used to it.

Wednesday 17-05-2017

Juvenile coaching tonight, lead coach tonight which was challenging but got through it. We managed a good relays session for the last 30-35 min of the 90 min session. Not sure if I'll ever get used to dealing with 40 kid groups though.

Was going to go for a run afterwards but wasn't feeling so good so said I'd run in the morning.

Day 17 of the 30 day challenge.

Felt worst as the last evening went on and went to bed at 10:30...

Thursday 18-05-2017

Woke up about every 2 hours through the night, feeling too hot, too cold, thirsty and needing to go to the toilet.

Pretty exhausting tbh and ended up taking a sick day from work. As a remote worker I feel really odd doing that but my head was not in great nick this morning and was so tired. Back to bed till 11ish then up for a few hours. Was feeling a bit better (Panadols at work) and did day 18 of the 30 day challenge watching a good 30 for 30 on The U (University of Miami). Around 2ish I was feeling pretty crap again so back to bed for another hour or so.
    Feeling okay now (Nurofens at work) so hoping tonight's sleep goes better than tonight. Have a busy day of work ahead of me tomorrow now....err.

No chance of running today, didn't have the energy for it. We'll see what tomorrow brings and see can I get some easy miles in after work.

Friday 19-05-2017

Felt a bit better this morning after a decent night's sleep. Took two panadol extras more as a preventive move than anything as wanted to be right for work.
    Got through the day fine and said I'd chance a run in the evening so did 40 minutes/4.1miles. Average pace for an easy pace run was way slower than normal, 9:44min/mi and to be honest I shouldn't have ran as felt worst after than before it.
    Anyways won't be running tomorrow.
    Self diagnosis of tonsils/throat knack.

Day 19 of the 30 day challenge, gone on to easy enough stuff with resistance bands so will keep on track with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Just catching up. Some great working going on here! Nicely done on the PB. See you in Charleville, all going well. I'd like to be in shape to hang on to the 1:40 pacers, the rate you're going you'll be leaving them behind you!

• Advertisement

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Just catching up. Some great working going on here! Nicely done on the PB. See you in Charleville, all going well. I'd like to be in shape to hang on to the 1:40 pacers, the rate you're going you'll be leaving them behind you!

Thanks very much, nice to be making progress...little by little for long time is the plan!
    Cool, I am looking forward to Charleville as it looks like the place to be this autumn for sure. Cracking race and after doing it last year I expect to make it annually. Works great for DCM training.

Saturday 20-05-2017

Day 20 of the 30 day challenge.
    Still feeling a bit meh so no running.

Total mileage for the week: 8.9 miles

Sunday 21-05-2017

Feeling better today so decided to try for my next brick session.
    Different than last time is that I was going to carry my running backpack for the duration...fully laden with the gear we need for the hill stage of the race.

Cycle 1 - 20K/12.5miles @ 14.3 mph avg pace in 52:24 mins.
    Transition - 1 min (dropping bike to home and back out the door).
    Run 1 - 40:20 mins, 4.56 miles @ 8:50 min/mi (bag was grand for this, picked the hardest route near my home with a big oul hill to start with....out of divilment on the return leg of the route I picked up a new personal fastest Strava segment time running down the hill).
    Transition - 1 min.
    Cycle 2 - 6K/4.37miles @ 13.4 mph in 19:34 mins.
    Transition - less than a minute
    Run 2 - 5:53 mins, 0.62 miles @ 9:26 min/mi

Happy with getting that done, had considered just doing the cycle if I was feeling off but despite the pace slowing in the later legs I got it done and felt I could have kept going back onto the or run more so that bodes well. Running/cycling with the bag working fine, light enough setup and the bladder is useful.

Day 21 of the 30 day challenge.

Monday 22-05-2017

Day 22 of the 30 day challenge.

Tuesday 23-05-2017

Throat knack definitely gone, wohoo.

Some trail running in the hills outside Tralee, some people walking which was nice for the general company as it was my first time heading up there on my own. I did tell my wife in case of difficulty as to where I was going. Lovely views up there and it was a pretty humid evening. Carried the fully laden backpack for the run as well. Might as well get used to it.

3.2 miles in 38:25 mins @ 11:59 min/mi. Had to walk some of the steeper parts but I don't mind that as not used to this stuff so just want to get it done in good shape. Nearly stumbled twice but recovered, was running uphill at the time and just stubbed my toe on a rock. Got to get those knees up!

Day 23 of the 30 day challenge completed once I got home. Last day of resistance bands tomorrow.

Wednesday 24-05-2017

Day 24 of the 30 day challenge.
    United win Europa League :-)

Thursday 25-05-2017

Day 25 of the 30 day challenge (completed as part of the run below)

45min easy (really just over 47mins as didn't want to stop at 4.8 miles, great morning but sticky/warm), 5 miles @ 9:24min/mi.
    Easy pace seeming to be on the slower side of things at the moment, not sure why but not too worried about it for now. Possibly general heat at the moment plus sleep not been the best the last week meaning general walking about fatigue is a bit higher. Busy week an half ahead all the way through the June Bank Holiday with a few trips up and down the country for a wedding and work but what can you do.

Oh and I signed up for DCM 2017 today, put myself in Wave 2 again. Obviously long way to go before all that but looking to start with the 3:40hr pacers as I did with the 4hr pacers last year. If I progress over the summer and training goes well hopefully a 3:38/3:39 time might be in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

diego_b wrote: »
    Oh and I signed up for DCM 2017 today, put myself in Wave 2 again. Obviously long way to go before all that but looking to start with the 3:40hr pacers as I did with the 4hr pacers last year. If I progress over the summer and training goes well hopefully a 3:38/3:39 time might be in order.

3.40 pacer in wave 1 D, you will need to change.

Kennyg71 wrote: »

3.40 pacer in wave 1 D, you will need to change.

How does that work G? Going on the time for the wave the pacer for the 3:40 should be at the start of wave 2.

How does that work G? Going on the time for the wave the pacer for the 3:40 should be at the start of wave 2.

Sorry D, miss read as sub 3.40, but wave 1 sub 3.39. You are correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

After all the great training this year it's a great foundation for dcm best of luck.

Sorry D, miss read as sub 3.40, but wave 1 sub 3.39. You are correct.

No bother, did you sign up yet?

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    After all the great training this year it's a great foundation for dcm best of luck.

Thanks A, fingers crossed!

Yes, all signed up. Gill signed me up for Birthday present, signed up for Charlaville as well.

• Advertisement

Yes, all signed up. Gill signed me up for Birthday present, signed up for Charlaville as well.

Nice present that and good stuff on Charleville, plans are coming together nicely!

Friday 26-05-2017

Day 26 of the 30 day challenge (completed as part of the run below)

45min easy after work, 5 miles @ 9:03min/mi. Pretty toasty this evening doing this.

Saturday 26-05-2017

Day 27 of the 30 day challenge (completed as part of the run below)

30min tempo run (half marathon effort), 3.7 miles @ 8:06min/mi. Got a right soaking on this one, anyways job done. Didn't have time for much longer but ideally would have started with some easy running before the tempo bits but just went straight into it.

Wraps the week with with a total of 22 miles across a decent mix of pace and surfaces.

Sunday 27-05-2017

Day 28 of the 30 day challenge (completed as part of the run below)

Late night at a wedding in Mullingar last night so as away without our daughter took the lie in instead of going for a run before checking out. Excellent day/night at the wedding catching up with friends from home.

Back to Kerry around half 7 this evening and got the unpacking done (bad or good habit of mine depending on how you look at it but generally unpack straight away as soon as I get home.

Watched the Indy 500 or more so last third of it and then went for a run just after 9pm. 40min easy, 4.3miles @ 9:24min/mi. Battle vs the midges going out that late, not sure who won as I certainly consumed a few and they had a nibble at me. Anyhoo protein on the fly...

Monday 29-05-2017

Day 29 of the 30 day challenge (completed as part of the run below....wohoo one day left and not missed a day yet)

Brick session this evening.
    30 min cycle, 7.56mi @ 14.9mph
    30 min run, 3.3mi @ 9:07min/mi

Tuesday 30-05-2017

Day 30 of the 30 day Kinetic Revolution challenge completed, pretty happy to get done on schedule.

30min easy, 3.2miles @ 9:21min/mi

Wednesday 31-05-2017

40min easy, 4.4miles @ 9:24min/mi during my lunch break.
    Fairly scorchio out there.

Thursday 01-06-2017

Nothing (as planned)

Friday 02-06-2017

Double nothing (50/50 on the planning).
    Had been up to Dublin for work for Thursday and Friday so said I'd play it by ear when I got back home. With family coming down to visit on Saturday I went with the non running option and some housework instead.

Saturday 03-06-2017

60min easy run, 6.4miles @ 9:24min/mi.
    Really enjoyed this run and took in a hilly route some had some ups and downs. Ran from home to the inlet/pier/cliffs about 2.5 miles away and found a few new laneways around there to build up some of the distance and get a better view of the cliffs.

Total running mileage for the week: 21.6 miles

Sunday 04-06-2017

Tralee junior parkrun with my daughter, she's getting better with pacing on this and did her longest continuous run on the second lap. Probably about 250-300 meters. She was spurred on by a few to try pass out and that she did. Came home in just over 17:01 (she was given a time 30 seconds slower in the results but no matter). Very easy 1.2miles jogging for me.

Brick session
    20.5K cycle in 54:24
    40min run (4.5miles @ 8:52min/mi)

Monday 05-06-2017

My club's annual Open Sports event for the kids in the area. Good fun was had and some fine running from the kids in the club and others from the surrounding area. Got to take part in a family relay run with my wife, daughter and temporally adopted daughter of the head coach in the club. We went in the order of my daughter first, coach's daughter second, my wife and then me to finish. Figured we'd probably be last out of the 6 teams so I didn't mind to be taking it home to finish if that was the case.
    So funny watching them lineup at the start and our little 5 year old lining up for her leg beside parents and bigger kids but she gave it her best and got the baton handed over well. Coach's daughter did very well and got a place back for us and we held that then to finish second last or 5th shall we say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Best of luck in DAR this weekend Diego :) Looking forward to the report already. Hope it all goes to plan and that's it's an enjoyable race.

• Advertisement

^^^Is that this weekend? +1 to the good luck wishes! have a blast and most importantly... ENJOY :D

Advertisement