Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funny Houses/Flats to rent

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Think it was on here before but:

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/house-share/lucan/clonee-road-lucan-dublin-887677/

You pay €50 a month to work as cleaner, housekeeper, gardener, handyman and live in a caravan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

You pay €50 a month to work as cleaner, housekeeper, gardener, handyman and live in a caravan.
    I love the last line of that ad:
    There is too much information to write it all in so please contact by email or call number provided ....obrigada.
    Translation: I can't be arsed writing any more.

And the giveaway - obrigada - which I presume is supposed to be obrigado - Portuguese for thank you, meaning that what the ad should really say is:

Two Brazilian slaves wanted. You'll sleep in a caravan out the back where you'll be less comfortable than the horses that we keep - and by the way you have to pay for your own slavery.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

This place looks very depressing. Considering my rent is the same for a much nicer house I just can't see why you would move there! Also on Blarney Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Lia_lia wrote: »
    This place looks very depressing. Considering my rent is the same for a much nicer house I just can't see why you would move there! Also on Blarney Street.

I viewed it a couple of years ago I'm pretty sure - at the time the carpets and 'kitchen' floor were minging and the whole place smelt of potatoes. Looks like a palace now by comparison!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

serfboard wrote: »
    I love the last line of that ad:
    Translation: I can't be arsed writing any more.

And the giveaway - obrigada - which I presume is supposed to be obrigado - Portuguese for thank you, meaning that what the ad should really say is:

Two Brazilian slaves wanted. You'll sleep in a caravan out the back where you'll be less comfortable than the horses that we keep - and by the way you have to pay for your own slavery.

Isn't what they are trying to do completely illegal? I would love to know where their ''tenants'' would find the time to hold down a job if they have all that maintenance to do.

• Advertisement

Isn't what they are trying to do completely illegal? I would love to know where their ''tenants'' would find the time to hold down a job if they have all that maintenance to do.

Exactly, it's like a working holiday where you don't get paid.

dearg lady wrote: »
    https://www.daft.ie/dublin/house-share/marino/philipsburgh-ave-marino-dublin-887297/

Apparently €500 is now 'reduced rent' for a very average room...ya only get to stay 4 days a week!!

Well, our lovely landlady has now reduced the rent down to €480 - must have been as a result of Sterling weakening against the euro today.
    I love this line:
    "Owner occupied and a small dog so no allergies to pets and great care required with her" It sounds when you're there Mon-Thursday you'll have to nurse her dog!

Been let. Again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/house-share/marino/philipsburgh-ave-marino-dublin-887297/

Apparently €500 is now 'reduced rent' for a very average room...ya only get to stay 4 days a week!!

Couldn't resist checking, ad is still up. As noted above, rent reduced to 480, but wording of as has been changed as well. She still sounds like hell to live with though!!! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

She still sounds like hell to live with though!!! :P

I can picture her 35, upper profession, expecting to marry a CEO, divorced or never married, was good looking in her youth, gets botox ....total control freak. Avoid like the pox

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Love the wording.

'You'll be paying me €500 a month but THIS IS NOT YOUR HOUSE IT IS MINE AND DONT YOU DARE FOR A SECOND THINK OTHERWISE, YOU LITTLE **** AND IF I CATCH YOU HERE ON A WEEKEND WHILE IM TRYING TO ENJOY MY TIME OFF ILL HAVE THE POLICE CALLED. No Students, thanks :-)'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Emailed days back to say I'm interested but Wang go ask if it was being used by someone else during the weekends, or just empty.

No reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Billy86 wrote: »
    Emailed days back to say I'm interested but Wang go ask if it was being used by someone else during the weekends, or just empty.

No reply.

Has anyone checked to see if she's renting out the room on Airbnb for weekends...? :P

From the ad:
    I'm a reluctant landlord and [you] are a reluctant tenant
    Well, I must reluctantly decline your delightful offer ...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,420 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Rent down to 440 now, mustn't be getting many offers which is shocking really given its desireability...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

From the ad:Well, I must reluctantly decline your delightful offer ...

"I don't want you here and you don't want to be here. Give me money now, please."

Rent down to 440 now, mustn't be getting many offers which is shocking really given its desireability...
    At that price that's 100 quid a week, which, considering you're only getting the room for four nights (max) is 25 quid a night.

Cheaper that a B&B but then, you have to put up with her and her fúckin dog :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,999 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Cheaper that a B&B but then, you have to put up with her and her fúckin dog :rolleyes:

I wouldn't have any problem with the dog.

At that price that's 100 quid a week, which, considering you're only getting the room for four nights (max) is 25 quid a night.

Well it ought to be cheaper, because you're only getting B.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Ankhyu

Ah lovely, one curtain per window, and a handy sink beside the crying couch in case your hands get too tear-filled and need washing. There's also a secret fireplace.

http://www.daft.ie/cork/apartments-for-rent/cork-city-centre/highfield-avenue-cork-city-centre-cork-1659816/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

the arm chair is in an awkward place to try & sit opposite the couch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

No photo of the bathroom or kitchen area seems fairly dodgy.

Well it ought to be cheaper, because you're only getting B.

Could you imagine sitting down over breakfast with this person?:p

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    the arm chair is in an awkward place to try & sit opposite the couch.

Can always rent it out to that "refugee" they found in a suitcase last week. He ll be able to sit there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

Ankhyu wrote: »
    Ah lovely, one curtain per window, and a handy sink beside the crying couch in case your hands get too tear-filled and need washing. There's also a secret fireplace.

http://www.daft.ie/cork/apartments-for-rent/cork-city-centre/highfield-avenue-cork-city-centre-cork-1659816/

It doesn't specify if the ironing board comes as part of the lease. Also, ad states "We present a lovely refurbished one bed apartment to let in a great city centre location" It would have hated to see the place before it was refurbished!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/apartment-share/lucan/paddocks-adamstown-lucan-dublin-891078/

€660 (was €750 yesterday) for use of a bedroom and shared bathroom, in an owner occupied duplex. Yes it includes bills, it's a nice room and she will do your washing for you but you have to make do with just a microwave, fridge, toaster and kettle with no access to kitchen or even a sink. She describes it as a bedsit but even bedsits have a kitchenette! Is it even legal?

The price would be expensive for the area for an ensuite room in a houseshare but for a shared bathroom, no use of rest of house and owner occupied so no proper rights it's scandalous, even allowing for bills included. Shameful really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

No smoking inside or on the balcony. Moderate drinking of alcohol whereby it is not noticeable at all is ok. No loud noise. No parties. No drinking sessions

Cleaning of wares (cups, plates, cutlery etc). You leave them on a service table outside the room when they need cleaning.

You'd have more fun in a prison.
    Seems to be a lot of homeowners reluctantly letting out rooms.
    Fair enough, times are tough for some, but it won't kill them to treat their lodgers with some dignity, rather than an inconvenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

eeguy wrote: »
    You'd have more fun in a prison.
    Seems to be a lot of homeowners reluctantly letting out rooms.
    Fair enough, times are tough for some, but it won't kill them to treat their lodgers with some dignity, rather than an inconvenience.
    Text or email enquiries about the room with a description of yourself to include your age (e.g. early 20s, mid 30s etc), profession, usual working hours, hobbies and interests.

It sounds like a job advertisement with all these requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

I got the impression you do your own washing, she's just granting the use of the machine twice a week!! Disgraceful that you can't use the cooker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/apartment-share/lucan/paddocks-adamstown-lucan-dublin-891078/

660 (was 750 yesterday) for use of a bedroom and shared bathroom, in an owner occupied duplex. Yes it includes bills, it's a nice room and she will do your washing for you but you have to make do with just a microwave, fridge, toaster and kettle with no access to kitchen or even a sink. She describes it as a bedsit but even bedsits have a kitchenette! Is it even legal?

The price would be expensive for the area for an ensuite room in a houseshare but for a shared bathroom, no use of rest of house and owner occupied so no proper rights it's scandalous, even allowing for bills included. Shameful really.

Had to live in a set up like that for first yr of Uni due to not being much choice. Infuriating not having a kitchen during that time. Not even a fridge to keep milk for tea in. Was not 660 though!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement