Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funny Houses/Flats to rent

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

emzolita wrote: »
    That's the worst one I've seen.
    "A mini-library"???... So a bookshelf then.
    She sounds so condescending, the way she romantically describes life in the room.

I've never wanted to prank call someone so much in my life.

She's since edited the ad to include a picture of said mini-library (no doubt to prove how oh so cultured and learned she is :rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

There's now a lovely photo of the mini-library. And yes, it's a very small bookshelf and a chair on the landing. How can she think this would help matters?!

She's also added photos of a cheap penneys throw and towels on the bed :confused:

it's mad, the room actually looks grand, if it was actually an apartment share and not a mini-prison within the house I'm sure she'd have no trouble letting it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

inforfun wrote: »
    I could start a crowdfunding thing so i can live there for a month and, due to having to read in stead of using the internet by order of Ms Landlady (must be a Ms.), report back in a month?

If you do - could you find out what a "multi-purpose fire extinguisher " is?

Does it put out fires and sweep the floor afterwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Mini is right, I've more books than that in my downstairs toilet alone....

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Lads, there's 'drinking water' too.

Doesn't say if you have direct access to the tap.

She might fill your dish in the morning.

• Advertisement

Aglomerado wrote: »
    Mini is right, I've more books than that in my downstairs toilet alone....

Yeah, a few travel guides and a pocket dictionary! I wouldn't even consider it as a mini-library...plenty of reading if you want to visit California though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

xzanti wrote: »

If you were lucky, and obeyed all the rules!

xzanti wrote: »

I genuinely think either she is providing a trough of water every morning or else you will be drinking water from the bathroom tap :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I genuinely think either she is providing a trough of water every morning or else you will be drinking water from the bathroom tap :eek:

Be grand! Sure isn't there a kettle and all to boil it in first. Sheer luxury.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

811 views..... 0 calls/emails?

"Library" chair is the same as the one on the balcony.

I am genuinely curious with these kind of places, what that person looks like and how she really is.
    This one is a Hyacinth Bucket (Boookaaay) with room for a little library

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

811 views..... 0 calls/emails?

"Library" chair is the same as the one on the balcony.

I am genuinely curious with these kind of places, what that person looks like and how she really is.
    This one is a Hyacinth Bucket (Boookaaay) with room for a little library

If she was ever to allow anyone to sit in her sitting room 'You'll sit in that fúcking library chair!"

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭endacl

emzolita wrote: »
    That's the worst one I've seen.
    "A mini-library"???... So a bookshelf then.
    She sounds so condescending, the way she romantically describes life in the room.

I've never wanted to prank call someone so much in my life.

Could always drop her a mail with a link to this thread. Lots of landlords should get an email with a link to this thread....

Or there is a plastic wrapped couch.
    Not sure if that is/was thing here but it used to be 30/40 years ago in Holland.

endacl wrote: »
    Could always drop her a mail with a link to this thread. Lots of landlords should get an email with a link to this thread....

So should TD's, the entire ****ing Dáil and so on.
    But then again, half of them are "landlords" so they are absolutely loving this rip off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Or there is a plastic wrapped couch.
    Not sure if that is/was thing here but it used to be 30/40 years ago in Holland.

It was indeed a big thing here. But the plastic covered couch was in the front 'parlor' room that no one was allowed in to. Only the priest when he came to visit.

Winterlong wrote: »
    It was indeed a big thing here. But the plastic covered couch was in the front 'parlor' room that no one was allowed in to. Only the priest when he came to visit.

There was also the plastic floor covering sheet things used to keep the carpet clean. This was ussually coupled with the chair covering to create a perfect storm of OTT cleanliness.

I'm surprised your woman doesn't have it noted in the ad that shoes are to be taken off before entering her palatial residence. I bet she doesn't actually clean the wares either, she burns them and them replaces them so she doesn't have to sully her hands by touching something that has been used by her renting peasant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Winterlong wrote: »
    If you do - could you find out what a "multi-purpose fire extinguisher " is?

Does it put out fires and sweep the floor afterwards?
    There's a few common kinds of extinguisher, with different purposes and weakness.
    http://firebuddy.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/fire-extinguisher-colour-chart.jpg
    Still bull****, mind.

Sometimes the title of this thread would be more aptly "Tragic/Shameful Flats/Houses to rent"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Yeah, a few travel guides and a pocket dictionary! I wouldn't even consider it as a mini-library...plenty of reading if you want to visit California though

a big feckin dictionary, with words like travel books, novels, food, health, alternative, sociology and anthropology titles amongst others

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I could start a crowdfunding thing so i can live there for a month and, due to having to read in stead of using the internet by order of Ms Landlady (must be a Ms.), report back in a month?

Actually that would be a great social experiment.

You could even add some new books to library.
    Say ones on emotional intelligence and not being a sado control freak.
    I like the way photos 6 to 8 zoom in on the fireplace area. It's like they're saying 'Look at the fireplace, look at it.. LOOK AT IT!!!'

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/smithfield/27-blackhall-place-smithfield-dublin-1225693/

Seriously look at the amount of wood. :eek:
    Last time I saw that amount of wood was in cabin in Canada.

BTW see pic 32, it looks like the shower has a wooden back :eek:

Either the owner at one time was a chippy or someone who worked for Brooks or Timber Ireland and was taking home off-cuts.

All that wood must be hiding something ?
    Possibly a former tenant ?

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

jmayo wrote: »

?

Either the curtains or the windows are made of wood

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/smithfield/27-blackhall-place-smithfield-dublin-1225693/#img=14

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Bambi wrote: »

Have you noticed in the photographs there is a torch beside all the beds?

And there is two different varnish finishes in the bedrooms, if that helps I wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

I'm pretty sure the exterior photo is of a different house.

And that the respective owners are two little piggies.

I can barely wait for the straw house to become available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭FalconGirl

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    Have you noticed in the photographs there is a torch beside all the beds?

And there is two different varnish finishes in the bedrooms, if that helps I wonder.

Presume the torch is there to help try to get out when the inevitable fire is blazing...Practically it's also useful to reassure yourself that you're not having a nightmare, you're actually living one when you start awake during the night.

The sealing around the basins and bath is savage, must have gotten a job lot of mastic along with the timber.

Some of these deserve to be saved before the place is sold burns down.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc175/supers54/Wooden%20it%20be%20nice/MGQyYjZjMmI2NDFiMTdmNTMxMGZjNThiZjhhN2RkYmJDJ4BBvY-OyA6cfDv96E6vaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL21lZGlhbWFzdGVyLXMzZXUvYi9iL2JiODZhN2.jpg

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc175/supers54/Wooden%20it%20be%20nice/MDZjOWExNDA5NmEzYTY1NjQyYmU4Nzc5NmFmZmZkYzMzJRUlJS7UICs2RjvbuHYwaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL21lZGlhbWFzdGVyLXMzZXUvMS8zLzEzMTVkYT_1.jpg

Rest are here http://s219.photobucket.com/user/supers54/Wooden%20it%20be%20nice/story

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I remember that wooden house being posted on this thread ages ago. No surprise it's still on the market!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Elliott S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

jmayo wrote: »
    Actually that would be a great social experiment.

You could even add some new books to library.
    Say ones on emotional intelligence and not being a sado control freak.

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/smithfield/27-blackhall-place-smithfield-dublin-1225693/

Either the owner at one time was a chippy or someone who worked for Brooks or Timber Ireland and was taking home off-cuts.

All that wood must be hiding something ?
    Possibly a former tenant ?

That has serial killers retreat written all over it.

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/apartment-share/lucan/paddocks-adamstown-lucan-dublin-891078/

€660 (was €750 yesterday) for use of a bedroom and shared bathroom, in an owner occupied duplex. Yes it includes bills, it's a nice room and she will do your washing for you but you have to make do with just a microwave, fridge, toaster and kettle with no access to kitchen or even a sink. She describes it as a bedsit but even bedsits have a kitchenette! Is it even legal?

The price would be expensive for the area for an ensuite room in a houseshare but for a shared bathroom, no use of rest of house and owner occupied so no proper rights it's scandalous, even allowing for bills included. Shameful really.

I emailed her and told her she had a nerve to ask for references for such crappy accommodation. Also told her she was supposed to provide access to a hob, oven and grill. It's all fine and well laughing at the accomm on here but sometimes I actually think something should be done about it. Even if it just gives someone pause for thought or makes them feel guilty about what they are doing.

• Advertisement

eeguy wrote: »
    You'd have more fun in a prison.
    Seems to be a lot of homeowners reluctantly letting out rooms.
    Fair enough, times are tough for some, but it won't kill them to treat their lodgers with some dignity, rather than an inconvenience.

And what kind of person would rent out a room like that? So by putting such restrictions on the accommodation, you could end renting to a looper! Very short-sighted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement