Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funny Houses/Flats to rent

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/apartment-share/lucan/paddocks-adamstown-lucan-dublin-891078/

€660 (was €750 yesterday) for use of a bedroom and shared bathroom, in an owner occupied duplex. Yes it includes bills, it's a nice room and she will do your washing for you but you have to make do with just a microwave, fridge, toaster and kettle with no access to kitchen or even a sink. She describes it as a bedsit but even bedsits have a kitchenette! Is it even legal?

The price would be expensive for the area for an ensuite room in a houseshare but for a shared bathroom, no use of rest of house and owner occupied so no proper rights it's scandalous, even allowing for bills included. Shameful really.

Where is Amnesty International when you need them.....

Ok, that might be me exaggerating a bit but ****ing hell..... This is really "pay my full mortgage but please dont be here" territory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/apartment-share/lucan/paddocks-adamstown-lucan-dublin-891078/

€660 (was €750 yesterday) for use of a bedroom and shared bathroom, in an owner occupied duplex. Yes it includes bills, it's a nice room and she will do your washing for you but you have to make do with just a microwave, fridge, toaster and kettle with no access to kitchen or even a sink. She describes it as a bedsit but even bedsits have a kitchenette! Is it even legal?

The price would be expensive for the area for an ensuite room in a houseshare but for a shared bathroom, no use of rest of house and owner occupied so no proper rights it's scandalous, even allowing for bills included. Shameful really.

Is she actually joking?! It's somehow both the worst of a houseshare and the worst of a bedsit.
    Not being able to cook seems like madness. Evidently she so much doesn't want you anywhere near her kitchen that she'd rather wash dishes. 'Moderate drinking of alcohol whereby it is not noticeable at all is ok' seriously?!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

That's just depressing.

Are you allowed to look at the owner if you happen to pass them in the hallway on your way out the front door or must you avert your gaze?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

That ad is unreal! How can that be allowed?
    Plenty of services and amenities in Lucan, including nearby Tesco and Super Value. Close by: Lidl

Not much use having a load of supermarkets on your doorstep if you aren't allowed use the kitchen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Yesterday when it was €750 she was also going to do some "light cleaning" for you, I think that's where I got the impression she would do your washing for you - it was worded differently then.

Imagine taking the couple option and living your whole lives stuck in that room. :(

I don't think it can actually be legal but I think she should be ashamed of herself for thinking this is acceptable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

Yesterday when it was €750 she was also going to do some "light cleaning" for you, I think that's where I got the impression she would do your washing for you - it was worded differently then.

Imagine taking the couple option and living your whole lives stuck in that room. :(

I don't think it can actually be legal but I think she should be ashamed of herself for thinking this is acceptable.

Light cleaning = Enter your room with a hoover & snoop around while you are out just like your mammy did when you were at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

Not even allowed smoke outside :eek: This one is nuts. Imagine sitting at home, coming up with that bedsit plan and thinking to yourself, "thank God i'm not a cnut"

I saw that the ad for the "bedsit" with no kitchen access had been updated again and thought maybe she had seen sense. But no, just another revision of the description to make it more appealing:
    Sip a summer coffee on the balcony in the morning before work or wind down with a book in the evenings. A mini library is available near the bedroom. Take a break from the social media and enjoy turning paper pages again as you dip into some of our favourites: travel books, novels, food, health, alternative, sociology and anthropology titles amongst others.

Still just a bedroom and shared bathroom with no access to rest of house. This woman is deluded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I don't know that I've seen someone so unaware that not everyone leaves the exact same life as she does. Even that 'attempt' to make it more appealing just continues to shout "live as I say and do what I tell you to" written all over it.

It also seems she took inspiration from a B&B or weekend getaway resort in the wording. Does she not understand the difference between there and where someone chooses to, you know, live?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,762 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Still just a bedroom and shared bathroom with no access to rest of house. This woman is deluded.

She's not deluded at all. Some poor unfortunate sod will rent it.

• Advertisement

BattleCorp wrote: »

God I hope nobody is desperate enough for that misery. If it was cheap maybe but it's ridiculously expensive for what it is. I feel sad just thinking about someone putting up with that.

Other things I remember from the now deleted description included not having any say over the heating, not being allowed to use an electric heater or electric blanket. She's very controlling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

That's the problem though.

She's only going to get those desperate for a bed calling. The people who've been kicked out of other houses and can't get anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

That's the worst one I've seen.
    "A mini-library"???... So a bookshelf then.
    She sounds so condescending, the way she romantically describes life in the room.

I've never wanted to prank call someone so much in my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

I am going to note her phone number. If ever I need to sell my home she can write the brochure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Winterlong wrote: »
    I am going to note her phone number. If ever I need to sell my home she can write the brochure.

Her terms will likely mean you will need to do the typing, will only be allowed to use an old school typewriter, will need to use Comic Sans (yes, on the typewriter) and will type at the speed she dictates.

I would be very interested to know what she works as, or if she is used to being handed everything on a silver platter. Could be miles off, but there is a strong stench of 'spoiled brat grown up' to her ad.

Having just gone through a couple of pages slagging off one (crazy) ad, I wonder if it was posted by someone on boards who's cringing while reading all this.

Maybe the ad will change dramatically soon! :pac:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

The fridge touching the radiator isn't a very clever idea either.

Sweet Jesus.

Sweet Loving Jesus!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

dearg lady wrote: »

They describe it as a 1 bedroom (double) flat yet it is clearly a one room bedsit with a single bed in it and not much room for anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

They describe it as a 1 bedroom (double) flat yet it is clearly a one room bedsit with a single bed in it and not much room for anything else.

And no sign of the bathroom. Shared?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

I can't believe that someone would rent a place with no access to cooking facilities other than a toaster and microwave.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,163 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

No photos of the bathroom make me afraid.

spurious wrote: »
    No photos of the bathroom make me afraid.

Sure isn't there a window. Be grand. :pac:

I think you have to take your shower in Croke Park
    See no other reason why that picture is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

And I notice the kind offer of reading her US and South East Asia lonely planet guides.

I think she is basically saying you can't even switch on laptop or tablet to look at youtube or stream videos.

And sdhe fails to mention that the cheap chest of drawers is not available storage.
    It's where you keep your cups and plates, in between leaving them out to be washed.

I think this lady deserves to be pranked or at least have to share with a fellow mentally ill individual.

I am not allowed discuss …

I could start a crowdfunding thing so i can live there for a month and, due to having to read in stead of using the internet by order of Ms Landlady (must be a Ms.), report back in a month?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

Staph wrote: »
    This is a cracker! Somebody is very into carpentry. Absolutely everything is covered in wood!

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/smithfield/27-blackhall-place-smithfield-dublin-1225693/

I like the way photos 6 to 8 zoom in on the fireplace area. It's like they're saying 'Look at the fireplace, look at it.. LOOK AT IT!!!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Words fail me re that place in Adamstown.
    'Relaxing on your private balcony'... Someone is having a laugh.

• Advertisement

emzolita wrote: »
    That's the worst one I've seen. "A mini-library"???... So a bookshelf then.
    She sounds so condescending, the way she romantically describes life in the room.

I've never wanted to prank call someone so much in my life.

There's now a lovely photo of the mini-library. And yes, it's a very small bookshelf and a chair on the landing. How can she think this would help matters?!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement