Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funny Houses/Flats to rent

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

I dont think you ll get an appointment for a viewing. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

jmayo wrote: »
    Actually that would be a great social experiment.

You could even add some new books to library.
    Say ones on emotional intelligence and not being a sado control freak.

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/smithfield/27-blackhall-place-smithfield-dublin-1225693/

Seriously look at the amount of wood. :eek:
    Last time I saw that amount of wood was in cabin in Canada.

BTW see pic 32, it looks like the shower has a wooden back :eek:

Either the owner at one time was a chippy or someone who worked for Brooks or Timber Ireland and was taking home off-cuts.

All that wood must be hiding something ?
    Possibly a former tenant ?

Also, the shower appears to be on stilts- there are some sort of candle holders/bowls underneath it- and it goes up into the ceiling

That woman in Leopardstown should be ashamed of herself. She has taken out the mention of a TV. The mini library description is funny if she weren't actually serious. The description reads like a weekend/ air bnb let not a year long let.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Elliott S

inforfun wrote: »
    I dont think you ll get an appointment for a viewing. :D

I know, I'm totes devo. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

SuperS54 wrote: »
    Presume the torch is there to help try to get out when the inevitable fire is blazing...Practically it's also useful to reassure yourself that you're not having a nightmare, you're actually living one when you start awake during the night.

The sealing around the basins and bath is savage, must have gotten a job lot of mastic along with the timber.

Some of these deserve to be saved before the place is sold burns down.

Good job.

Actually look at the size of sink jammed in by the fireplace in this pic.

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/smithfield/27-blackhall-place-smithfield-dublin-1225693/#img=22

Even worse one in this pic...

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/smithfield/27-blackhall-place-smithfield-dublin-1225693/#img=24

In these ones a cabinet comes out over the actual bed.
    I do hope he used some long screws.

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/smithfield/27-blackhall-place-smithfield-dublin-1225693/#img=26

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/smithfield/27-blackhall-place-smithfield-dublin-1225693/#img=33

Also there is what looks like different coloured door in pic of kitchen.
    It looks like the boiler is visible through it.

I am disappointed that the owner did not complete the look.

They seriously need to paint that one white door, because it throws the look of the entire place.

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/smithfield/27-blackhall-place-smithfield-dublin-1225693/#img=30

5 bedrooms in a house that size ?
    Welcome to box room central.

Actually I would be very tempted to go visit it.
    I am interested in doing some woodwork at home and want some tips.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement

Lia_lia wrote: »

Hang on is that single bed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Lia_lia wrote: »

That's not a studio apartment.... it's a bloody kitchen with bed chucked in!
    Love the hanger rail as an attempt for storage.
    No TV or couch...
    'seperate shower room' but no mention of toilet!

Grim.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Imagine sandpapering all that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Elliott S wrote: »
    I emailed her and told her she had a nerve to ask for references for such crappy accommodation. Also told her she was supposed to provide access to a hob, oven and grill. It's all fine and well laughing at the accomm on here but sometimes I actually think something should be done about it. Even if it just gives someone pause for thought or makes them feel guilty about what they are doing.

''Paddocks Adamstown, Lucan, West Co. Dublin
    This Room Has Been Let, here are some similar properties in the area.''

:eek::eek:

I think you scared her away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Kovu wrote: »

God I really hope it hasn't been let and she just took it down.

• Advertisement

Kovu wrote: »

I hope so. Either that or somebody actually rented it. :(

It's bad if it's been removed from the market in this climate because as said by others, let it out as a normal houseshare and it'd be a decent place to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

Good job.

Actually look at the size of sink jammed in by the fireplace in this pic.

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/smithfield/27-blackhall-place-smithfield-dublin-1225693/#img=22

Even worse one in this pic...

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/smithfield/27-blackhall-place-smithfield-dublin-1225693/#img=24

In these ones a cabinet comes out over the actual bed.
    I do hope he used some long screws.

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/smithfield/27-blackhall-place-smithfield-dublin-1225693/#img=26

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/smithfield/27-blackhall-place-smithfield-dublin-1225693/#img=33

Also there is what looks like different coloured door in pic of kitchen.
    It looks like the boiler is visible through it.

I am disappointed that the owner did not complete the look.

They seriously need to paint that one white door, because it throws the look of the entire place.

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/smithfield/27-blackhall-place-smithfield-dublin-1225693/#img=30

5 bedrooms in a house that size ?
    Welcome to box room central.

Actually I would be very tempted to go visit it.

I would thoroughly enjoy doing up that house. Go around with a crow bar ripping all that wood panelling off. Jesus wept, every square inch is covered in it.

Hat tip to the estate agent. She took out her book of sales cliches and picked the most ridiculous ones to describe this house, this part is my favourite:
    This stylish, modern and exclusive five bedroom home is beautifully finished and presented in turn key condition throughout. It boasts wonderful surroundings. No expense has been spared by the current owner in turning this magnificent house into a perfect home.

Eh, its not stylish, or modern. It's not in turn key condition and the wonderful surroundings include benburb street, known for its "ladies of the night". Perfect home??? maybe not but nice try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

I feel like woodpanel house is some kind of elaborate prank on the general public.

Like you show up to view the place and it turns out to be a perfectly normal house with not a bit of wood in sight and the guy showing you the place looks at you funny when you ask him where all the wood paneling went.

I bet he will give you free advice if you guess the right amount of nails he has used in that place

I heared they had to import 30.000 tons of steel especially for that place.
    Rainforest also has never really recovered from the trees cut down for this

I hope so. Either that or somebody actually rented it. :(

It's bad if it's been removed from the market in this climate because as said by others, let it out as a normal houseshare and it'd be a decent place to live.

Maybe inforfun actually went ahead and rented it.
    We won't know for a while until they escape or at least find some modern communications.

EDIT: just saw inforfun's post so looks like they didn't gamble on renting the place after all.
    Fran1985 wrote: »
    I would thoroughly enjoy doing up that house. Go around with a crow bar ripping all that wood panelling off. Jesus wept, every square inch is covered in it.

Hat tip to the estate agent. She took out her book of sales cliches and picked the most ridiculous ones to describe this house, this part is my favourite:

Eh, its not stylish, or modern. It's not in turn key condition and the wonderful surroundings include benburb street, known for its "ladies of the night". Perfect home??? maybe not but nice try.

I didn't bother reading the blurb as I just got sidetracked with all the pictures of the stylish, modern, beautifully finished and presented turn key condition interior.

No expense was spared if they paid for all that bloody wood, not to mention the screws, nails.

I would seriously like to talk to owner as I reckon they would be good for recommending power saws, planes, sanders.
    I would also listen to their interior design advise and then do opposite.

Fran1985 wrote: »

The area is much nicer than it used to be. I'd actually like to live in that area. And the house looks like it could be lovely. Has lots of potential. What on earth were they thinking ruining it with the wood panelling? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

That wood paneled house is atrocious.

Some people go on holiday and come back with am inflatable donkey or silly hat or something.
    Others go on holiday and come back wanting to decorate the insides of their house like the faux log cabin they stayed in.

Brutal!

Maybe inforfun actually went ahead and rented it.
    We won't know for a while until they escape or at least find some modern communications.

I would never make it through Ms Bucket's interview.
    She probably wouldn't even dare to open the door if i was standing in front of it.

inforfun wrote: »
    I would never make it through Ms Bucket's interview.
    She probably wouldn't even dare to open the door if i was standing in front of it.

Did anyone reply to the ad? (apart from me)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/apartment-share-lucan/the-paddocks-lucan-lucan-dublin-891703/

Fair play to you, you obviously gave her pause for thought. I wasn't sure if it was legal or not to not have proper cooking facilities and a sink.

But she seems to have decided it's ok if she reduces the price and tones down the description. It's down to €560 now and only females accepted. The mini-library is still a feature though.

Perhaps she should offer digs and just provide breakfast and dinner too seeing as she's already willing to wash up.

I emailed her and told her she had a nerve to ask for references for such crappy accommodation. Also told her she was supposed to provide access to a hob, oven and grill. It's all fine and well laughing at the accomm on here but sometimes I actually think something should be done about it. Even if it just gives someone pause for thought or makes them feel guilty about what they are doing.

• Advertisement

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/apartment-share-lucan/the-paddocks-lucan-lucan-dublin-891703/

Fair play to you, you obviously gave her pause for thought. I wasn't sure if it was legal or not to not have proper cooking facilities and a sink.

Actually, apparently there is no legal requirement for your accommodation to meet the minimum standards if you are a lodger. How very depressing.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/sharing_accommodation_with_your_landlord.html (see the Renting a Room section)

Still, the rent she is looking for is ridiculous for providing so little, even the new reduced price. The kind of accommodation she is advertising should be rock bottom prices, as it what's people who are down on their luck would go for. So I stand by my email. The only upside is I can't see anyone sticking it for long and as a licensee they can leave without much notice so she might find she has a merry-go-round of lodgers to deal with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Oh god it's back, thought someone might have clouted some sense into her. :pac:
    The writing is just cringeworthy, it looks like something she read somewhere (house and living magazine?) and even though it doesn't fit the ad, she thinks it looks nice. 'Sip on a summer coffee', a 'mini-library', I have hundreds of books so I must have a full library!

I see also that she has added that although the bathroom is shared with one other adult "there are other washrooms in the home so this bathroom doesn't get much use". So she could actually give the poor lodger a private bathroom but is just too mean. She couldn't even give up that much.

I see also that she has added that although the bathroom is shared with one other adult "there are other washrooms in the home so this bathroom doesn't get much use". So she could actually give the poor lodger a private bathroom but is just too mean. She couldn't even give up that much.

Interesting to see how long the ad stays up for. I mean, this is market where pretty much everything is being snapped up fast and this has been up for a few days at least. At least she is upfront about how much contempt she has for her potential new lodger. :pac:

Only 3 months now as well.
    Even if you want to enjoy her company more, you cant.

Who is going to email her asking if you can keep the books from her library a bit longer if you havent finished them in 3 months?

Added the ad in pdf form, in case it vanishes again.

Interesting to see how long the ad stays up for. I mean, this is market where pretty much everything is being snapped up fast and this has been up for a few days at least. At least she is upfront about how much contempt she has for her potential new lodger. :pac:

In fairness most of the rooms over €550 in Lucan have been up for a good while. Some are up months. I'm looking in the area myself and have alerts set that's why I see this ad every time it changes.

In fairness most of the rooms over €550 in Lucan have been up for a good while. Some are up months. I'm looking in the area myself and have alerts set that's why I see this ad every time it changes.

Yeah, it's pretty far out of town. And I presume all of those place have access to a kitchen. She's deluded. :o I'm guessing the florid description is a desperate attempt to slap lipstick on a pig.

Yeah, it's pretty far out of town. And I presume all of those place have access to a kitchen. She's deluded. :o I'm guessing the florid description is a desperate attempt to slap lipstick on a pig.

Some even have a sitting room would you believe! Yeah there's actually plenty of availability in the area for houseshares though too many owner occupied unfortunately. I really don't understand how she thinks this would appeal to anyone.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Some even have a sitting room would you believe! Yeah there's actually plenty of availability in the area for houseshares though too many owner occupied unfortunately. I really don't understand how she thinks this would appeal to anyone.

I assume she just looked on daft and seen a few places in the area for 550+ and thought 'my place is really nice, I can easily get as much as one of these places' without realising that with all those others you're renting a room in a house whereas as here you're just renting a room that you had better not venture out of. Unless, of course, it's to the mini library.

• Advertisement

I assume she just looked on daft and seen a few places in the area for 550+ and thought 'my place is really nice, I can easily get as much as one of these places' without realising that with all those others you're renting a room in a house whereas as here you're just renting a room that you had better not venture out of. Unless, of course, it's to the mini library.

Yes I'd imagine it went something like that alright. Though she obviously thinks very highly of her library as she started out at €750!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement