Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay couple humiliated after being asked to leave Dublin restaurant

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

Sure, they are, and then there are restaurants that have an expected standard of behaviour and if their patrons are paying for a certain standard (including ambience and so on), then they are entitled to make a complaint, as is a person who is being asked to leave the restaurant.

When the person asked to leave the restaurant however, starts making claims about how the incident has rocked his foundations or whatever, then that's the person you'd want to be telling to get a life for themselves.

Ashers bakery and printing company all over again. Seriously, some people are their own worst enemy, when most people who are LGBT just get on with their lives without crowing about discrimination at every slight when they've set it up to appear so already.

I would have thought that being asked to leave a restaurant if far far more serious than some bakery refusing to make a cake when one could just try another bakery. Just imagine it - being kicked out a restaurant. Royally screw up your evening. Don't think I'd shrug my shoulders about it and carry on. But as you say, I wouldn't go making a very serious incident into a thermo nuclear war either.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,916 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I live in Dublin. I go out in Dublin. I drink in Dublin and I eat in restaurants in Dublin.

I've done all that with both straight, gay and transgender people and I have never seen anything happen like that what we are told happened in this "story".

There is either much more to this, or it's made up and seeing the shit rag that it's appeared in, I'm edging toward the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Holding hands, looking at each other? What's the world coming too...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

They can do whatever they like in the privacy of their own home. Once you're in the public arena there's certain standards of decency that you have to adhere to. It's common courtesy; people don't go out to restaurants to watch two men eating the face off each other. There might have been children present as well.

Not at all homophobic are you??

Id have no problem with my kids seeing two gay people together being openly affectionate with each other.

Its 2015 FFS--and as we as a country voted for gay marriage my two younger ones are going to see a lot more openly gay couples as they grow up.Why teach them that its a bad thing?
    Would you have the same problem with a heterosexual couple "eating the face off each other"??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Tony EH wrote: »
    I live in Dublin. I go out in Dublin. I drink in Dublin and I eat in restaurants in Dublin.

I've done all that with both straight, gay and transgender people and I have never seen anything happen like that what we are told happened in this "story".

There is either much more to this, or it's made up and seeing the shit rag that it's appeared in, I'm edging toward the latter.

I live in Dublin. I go out in Dublin. I drink in Dublin and I eat in the very finest restaurants in Dublin (and every crappy fry shop and Chinese too I'm inclusive like that).

I have seen behaviour in restaurants that I know if I practiced it with my partner would get comments and looks. I've seen it happen in restaurants, shops the streets a social welfare office etc. For this reason I would never engage in even the most innocuous pda.

I don't know if this happened. You don't know if this happened. It is not certainly not beyond the bounds of possibility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭beyondbelief67

They can do whatever they like in the privacy of their own home. Once you're in the public arena there's certain standards of decency that you have to adhere to. It's common courtesy; people don't go out to restaurants to watch two men eating the face off each other. There might have been children present as well.

So what if there were children present ? They weren't having sex in public ! Simply showing affection to a person they have feelings for !
    Are your thoughts the same toward straight people that they should keep holding hands for inside their own homes or is that simply aimed towards homosexuals ?
    I truly pity someone as homophobic and narrow minded a yourself to think just because someone is gay they aren't entitled to show there feelings.
    As the mother of an openly gay son if someone were to try publicly shaming him saying he is disgusting or any such thing like what happened here, I can honestly say it would be heaven help them. Live and let live, they aren't hurting anyone if you don't like it don't look ! Surely the person who complained should of been more interested in their dinner date than others in the place !

• Registered Users Posts: 23,672 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Its 2015 FFS--and as we as a country voted for gay marriage my two younger ones are going to see a lot more openly gay couples as they grow up.Why teach them that its a bad thing?
    Would you have the same problem with a heterosexual couple "eating the face off each other"??

I never understand what difference this "It's 2015" stuff makes, and this incident has no relation whatsoever at all to how the electorate voted in the referendum on marriage equality.

FWIW, yes, I would have a massive problem if I were dining out in an establishment which meant I was paying for a certain standard of decorum that didn't include bearing witness to adults engaged in any sort of PDAs, regardless of their age, gender, sex or sexual orientation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Sure, they are, and then there are restaurants that have an expected standard of behaviour and if their patrons are paying for a certain standard (including ambience and so on), then they are entitled to make a complaint, as is a person who is being asked to leave the restaurant.

Sorry but where is the restaurant in Dublin with a no holding hands or affectionate gazing policy? I never once denied that restaurants don't have standards of behaviour, in fact I explicitly said they did.
    When the person asked to leave the restaurant however, starts making claims about how the incident has rocked his foundations or whatever, then that's the person you'd want to be telling to get a life for themselves.

No hon, if one has a problem with people in a restaurant holding hands, kissing reasonably or generally being affectionate they need help.

Two people holding hands. And looking at each other.

The bast4rds. Imagine. Won't someone think of the poor diners.

I see the gaystapo are out in force again, bullying and shaming anyone who doesn't get on their hands and knees and worship at the altar of almighty homosexuality. Drama queens.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,263 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

For the record here is the full letter as it appears on page 4 of the November 2015 edition of GCN
    IRELAND STILL PREJUDICED
    Dear Editor
    We like to think of Ireland as a place where gay people are fully accepted, especially since the landslide passing of the same-sex marriage referendum, but if my experience last week is anything to go by, this is still a surface image.
    My partner and I were in a Dublin city centre restaurant celebrating our second anniversary, and we were being physically tactile with each other. Not kissing the faces of each other or anything, but holding hands and looking into each other’s eyes. A waiter came to our table and told us that customers at another table were complaining about us. He suggested that we stop showing each other physical affection.
    We asked to see the manager, who said something similar, adding that he had no problem with gay people. When we said we had every right to show each other affection, the manager said that it was unfortunate that other customers were uncomfortable, and suggested that we leave. He told us that we wouldn’t be charged for our meal.
    As we were leaving the restaurant, feeling humiliated, a woman at one of the tables, probably the one who had complained about us, said the word “disgusting”.
    This is not the indication, on any level, of acceptance, or even tolerance. The whole experience has really shaken the foundations of what I had come to believe post-referendum about my country.
    Yours, Name and address with editor.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I never understand what difference this "It's 2015" stuff makes, and this incident has no relation whatsoever at all to how the electorate voted in the referendum on marriage equality.

FWIW, yes, I would have a massive problem if I were dining out in an establishment which meant I was paying for a certain standard of decorum that didn't include bearing witness to adults engaged in any sort of PDAs, regardless of their age, gender, sex or sexual orientation.

Why are you responding to someone elses post??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,975 ✭✭✭Hitchens

For the record here is the full letter as it appears on page 4 of the November 2015 edition of GCN
    never bought into that old "name and address with editor" palaver

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Hellrazer wrote: »

Its 2015 FFS--and as we as a country voted for gay marriage....

This is the problem. Just because the yes vote passed doesn't mean those who are against or voted no, are suddenly in agreement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

we do not have the full story. lewd behaviour in a Restaurant might make anyone else gay or straight uncomfortable,and it is subjective. but, others were offended by the action.

they were not removed for being gay.

"couple removed for unknow reason after complaints from other patrons" is the Story. no need to pullout the Gay Privelege Bonuscard.

dissed doc wrote: »
    we do not have the full story. lewd behaviour in a Restaurant might make anyone else gay or straight uncomfortable,and it is subjective. but, others were offended by the action.

they were not removed for being gay.

"couple removed for unknow reason after complaints from other patrons" is the Story. no need to pullout the Gay Privelege Bonuscard.

The only we have is based on the published letter. Holding hands and eye gazing is not lewd behaviour.

if thats the basis for them being thrown out then it's unacceptable discrimination. It's really simple.

It's disappointing the see hyperbole (lewd behaviour, Gay Privilege etc..) inserted needlessly into the discussion to try and find justification.

It's quite binary, the are lying and they were doing more than they claim or the restaurant behaved appallingly.

In the first instance, I know I have kissed my wife in a restaurant, that's quite normal. If they were both sat down it would be hard for them to have done much more than exchange a kiss over the table, unless we are claiming that they sat beside each other and went for it full on heavy petting. I really doubt it, and it is certainly not how the only source we have reports it.

It's amazing the mental gymnastics people with engage in to hide their petty prejudices.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 268 ✭✭alcaline

With web sites making money from ads which depend on the number of views, i do believe this type of article in the independent is what is know as "Click Bait". Never happened, if it did we would have a photo of the two of them out side the restaurant with a sour face on them holding up each there for support.

seachto7 wrote: »
    This is the problem. Just because the yes vote passed doesn't mean those who are against or voted no, are suddenly in agreement.

You get to pass judgement on this couple, they weren't getting married or pole dancing with each other in a public restaurant.

They were looking, fcking looking at each other and holding hands.

Your approval or tacit acceptance is not required nor solicited. Boo hoo for you if you aren't OK with gays. Tough, the world has moved on the legislation reflects that.

The restaurant is legally required to treat all the patrons the same, at least not to discriminate against them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 268 ✭✭alcaline

The restaurant is legally required to treat all the patrons the same, at least not to discriminate against them.

Well there is your proof it never happened, they would be taken to the cleaners by the couple.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,975 ✭✭✭Hitchens

unless we are claiming that they sat beside each other and went for it full on heavy petting. I really doubt it, and it is certainly not how the only source we have reports it.

the video of the 'incident' will probably be on social media soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,672 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Sorry but where is the restaurant in Dublin with a no holding hands or affectionate gazing policy? I never once denied that restaurants don't have standards of behaviour, in fact I explicitly said they did.

I don't know where it is, nobody knows where it is, because the author of the letter has chosen to remain anonymous while taking a ridiculous and quite frankly laughably over-dramatic broadswipe at Irish society.

No hon, if one has a problem with people in a restaurant holding hands, kissing reasonably or generally being affectionate they need help.

I don't give a damn what two people get up to in their own time, but I don't have to tolerate PDA of any sort if I don't want to, sweetheart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

I know nothing about this bar what's in the op, and i can say hand on heart, this didn't happen as the writer says..

You see gay pda everywhere in Dublin, noone ever bats an eye..

Deffo a lot more to this story!!!!!

The chances of scumbags who'd be offended by pda meeting a scumbag waiter who'd act on their complaint is zero.

alcaline wrote: »
    Well there is your proof it never happened, they would be taken to the cleaners by the couple.

I don't think that happens overnight does it. Perhaps the couple are consulting a lawyer. I would hope so, if it is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I'm calling BS on this story too.

There's no way an Irish guy remembered his 2yr anniversary.

I don't give a damn what two people get up to in their own time, but I don't have to tolerate PDA of any sort if I don't want to, sweetheart.

No one does.

Where does your right not to see something which is perfectly legal stop and where does the right for two people to commit a perfectly legal act in a public restaurant start?

Holding hands and eye gazing is legal everywhere. A straight couple could do it in church FFS!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I don't know where it is, nobody knows where it is, because the author of the letter has chosen to remain anonymous while taking a ridiculous and quite frankly laughably over-dramatic broadswipe at Irish society.

You call holding hands PDA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

VinLieger wrote: »
    You call holding hands PDA?

Yeah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

You get to pass judgement on this couple, they weren't getting married or pole dancing with each other in a public restaurant.

They were looking, fcking looking at each other and holding hands.

Your approval or tacit acceptance is not required nor solicited. Boo hoo for you if you aren't OK with gays. Tough, the world has moved on the legislation reflects that.

The guy you're responding to said nothing to indicate he supported them getting kicked out – he just said No voters are still around.

Azalea wrote: »
    That poster was defending them in an earlier post, so I think you've picked them up wrong.
    It's dubious in my opinion that they were just looking at each other and holding hands. I have familiarity with misrepresentative bullsh-t when only one side of the story can be given, and the other side does not have right of reply.

Right of reply would imply someone has been named here. No one has.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

You were too found of them having privacy before.

You're right, I go to see a man and a woman eating the face off each other.

Advertisement