Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay couple humiliated after being asked to leave Dublin restaurant

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

unless they name the restaurant then I will have to assume that the story is made up

• Registered Users Posts: 17,750 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Yeah

Might be better off living with the amish then, if I was in a restaurant and people were tonguing heavily then yeah id be offended no matter their gender but each to their own and I would just not look at them. If your offended by people holding hands i think you might have more problems though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

A tenner on the "physical contact" being a hand-shandy under the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

No one does.

Where does your right not to see something which is perfectly legal stop and where does the right for two people to commit a perfectly legal act in a public restaurant start?

Holding hands and eye gazing is legal everywhere. A straight couple could do it in church FFS!

As soon as I make a complaint to management that I am not enjoying the experience they provide, due to the behaviour of other patrons. I have a right to complain, just as much as the people who's behaviour I find objectionable. I trust that management will take reasonable steps to accommodate me and those other patrons.

I've never seen anyone asked to leave a restaurant for holding hands or PDAs, etc, but I've seen plenty people squeal about their rights, their rights, with fcukall responsibility towards other people who are just as entitled to their comfort that they're paying for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Like i would not shock me at all i used to work with a girl as i used to be a restaurant manager who told me outright that she hated gay people and did not wont to serve them. I ended up letting her go because of this.

I was shocked as gay couples are a huge part of our business and we support the LGBT festival in the city every year. If people are not conferable with a gay couple in the place they can F off out the door. As i used to love talking away to the older couples as you find out some great things and be told some great stores.

As you be shocked how many gay couples we used to get in. I would say it would be maybe 15% of our business.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

VinLieger wrote: »
    Might be better off living with the amish then, if I was in a restaurant and people were tonguing heavily then yeah id be offended no matter their gender but each to their own and I would just not look at them. If your offended by people holding hands i think you might have more problems though

Take a breath. I'm not going to report your abuse instead I'll just assume your not reading the question i answered.

Is holding hands in public a public display of affection? Yes. I never said anything about being offended by it.. I've been holding my partners hand in public for the last 13 years.

As soon as I make a complaint to management that I am not enjoying the experience they provide, due to the behaviour of other patrons. I have a right to complain, just as much as the people who's behaviour I find objectionable. I trust that management will take reasonable steps to accommodate me and those other patrons.

I've never seen anyone asked to leave a restaurant for holding hands or PDAs, etc, but I've seen plenty people squeal about their rights, their rights, with fcukall responsibility towards other people who are just as entitled to their comfort that they're paying for.

But why do you get preference to have your rights supercede theirs?

Take a breath. I'm not going to report your abuse instead I'll just assume your not reading the question i answered.

Is holding hands in public a public display of affection? Yes. I never said anything about being offended by it.. I've been holding my partners hand in public for the last 13 years.

Fair enough thought i was replying to the original poster who was apparently offended by anything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

IRELAND STILL PREJUDICED
    Dear Editor
    "We like to think of Ireland as a place where gay people are fully accepted, especially since the landslide passing of the same-sex marriage referendum, but if my experience last week is anything to go by, this is still a surface image".

I imagine that if I was in the same situation I would go home and fire off a letter straight away. Or did the writer feel the urge to be pissed off with the state of the country for a week before venting.

This story is baloney!

Or may come from the the maestro of self advertising in the steamy kitchen of that culinary Shangrila-La - The C********** L**** H****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

I don't know where it is, nobody knows where it is, because the author of the letter has chosen to remain anonymous while taking a ridiculous and quite frankly laughably over-dramatic broadswipe at Irish society.

It was you who was talking about restaurants standards so it was you I asked where there was such a restaurant in Dublin that had the standards you claimed to exist.

I don't give a damn what two people get up to in their own time, but I don't have to tolerate PDA of any sort if I don't want to, sweetheart.

Actually you do or you can leave.

• Advertisement

VinLieger wrote: »
    But why do you get preference to have your rights supercede theirs?

Where did I say my right to comfort and a pleasant dining experience should supercede theirs? I simply said that I have a right to make a complaint to management, and I trust that they will endeavour to accommodate both parties.

It was you who was talking about restaurants standards so it was you I asked where there was such a restaurant in Dublin that had the standards you claimed to exist.

Well we have to assume they exist in at least one restaurant in Dublin if an anonymous complainant can be ejected from one on the basis of holding hands and gazing into his partner's eyes?

Actually you do or you can leave.

Actually I don't. See above ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭onlyme!

holding hands is the thin end of the wedge, next time you look and one is balls deep into the other, i see them all the time on hollyoaks!

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭markc2951

Right to refuse admission? Me personally I would leave an establishment if I saw two gay men mauling each other

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭jluv

IRELAND STILL PREJUDICED
    Dear Editor
    "We like to think of Ireland as a place where gay people are fully accepted, especially since the landslide passing of the same-sex marriage referendum, but if my experience last week is anything to go by, this is still a surface image".

I imagine that if I was in the same situation I would go home and fire off a letter straight away. Or did the writer feel the urge to be pissed off with the state of the country for a week before venting.

This story is baloney!

Or may come from the the maestro of self advertising in the steamy kitchen of that culinary Shangrila-La - The C********** L**** H****
    LOL I thought of the same maestro as well when I read this:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

markc2951 wrote: »
    Right to refuse admission? Me personally I would leave an establishment if I saw two gay men mauling each other

And if you seen two heterosexual people mauling each other ?

Well we have to assume they exist in at least one restaurant in Dublin if an anonymous complainant can be ejected from one on the basis of holding hands and gazing into his partner's eyes?

Actually I don't. See above ;)

But by your own admission you don't even know where this restaurant is and whats more you've indicated that you doubt the veracity of the story so sorry hon ya do.;)

I wonder did they do that thing where both start at other ends of the same string of spaghetti?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Is this not another one of them SJW's unite to get a business closed down on something that may or may not have actually happened. I'm sure it's going around FB at the moment and the Business may have been named.

If it actually happened fair enough. But should we wait before jumping on the High horses ?

Is this not another one of them SJW's unite to get a business closed down on something that may or may not have actually happened. I'm sure it's going around FB at the moment and the Business may have been named.

If it actually happened fair enough. But should we wait before jumping on the High horses ?

Ba! Irony is dead! Long live Irony.

But by your own admission you don't even know where this restaurant is and whats more you've indicated that you doubt the veracity of the story so sorry hon ya do.;)

Well I don't imagine they have signs up saying "don't fcuk on the tables, and wipe your chair if you're wearing assless chaps", up about the place either, but I wouldn't suggest that would mean patrons could indeed fcuk on the tables and wear assless chaps. What do you think babes?

I don't have to tolerate anything I don't want to, nobody does, and that's why everyone is entitled to make a complaint about behaviour they find objectionable. As it turns out, if the management agree with me, I won't be the person asked to leave :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

strelok wrote: »
    that's disgraceful, it's not like they were breastfeeding

Would also feel very uncomfortable seeing someone thrown out of a restaurant for breastfeeding.

Well I don't imagine they have signs up saying "don't fcuk on the tables, and wipe your chair if you're wearing assless chaps", up about the place either, but I wouldn't suggest that would mean patrons could indeed fcuk on the tables and wear assless chaps. What do you think babes?

I don't have to tolerate anything I don't want to, nobody does, and that's why everyone is entitled to make a complaint about behaviour they find objectionable. As it turns out, if the management agree with me, I won't be the person asked to leave :)

So you have to put up with exactly what the manager sees fit;) or leave.

So you have to put up with exactly what the manager sees fit;) or leave.

That's it in a nutshell. Clearly the chap that wrote this letter doesn't understand that. I'm glad we've come to an understanding though, for a minute there i thought we were going to have to kiss and make up :p;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I just don't believe the story. Sounds made up. Looks like from twitter that GCN were asked about it but aren't saying anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

This sounds made up. If it happened they would have named the business. Sounds like the rag had a few empty columns to fill and a journalist got "creative".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

Au revoir monsieur

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

used to work with a girl as i used to be a restaurant manager who told me outright that she hated gay people and did not wont to serve them. I ended up letting her go because of this.
    Presume she refused to serve a gay couple? While I wholeheartedly disagree with her, a person's private opinion doesn't make them sackable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

You'd leave out of jealousy? Just put them out of your mind and enjoy your meal.

That's it in a nutshell. Clearly the chap that wrote this letter doesn't understand that. I'm glad we've come to an understanding though, for a minute there i thought we were going to have to kiss and make up :p;)

Anytime you want Hon, I'll make sure its not in public.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,548 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Anytime you want Hon, I'll make sure its not in public.

This story is bull. Didn't happen. Funny to see peoples insecurities though! "what if there were children in the restaurant" :pac::pac:

Advertisement