Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay couple humiliated after being asked to leave Dublin restaurant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Who wants any PDA with their meal?

The couple that complained could be in an unhappy, sexless marriage and the PDA reminded them of their no touch policy. Jealousy is a terrible thing and it looks like the green eyed monster came out..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

ScumLord wrote: »
    Well to be fair, if it did actually happen, then writing a letter to the paper might be just some way of venting the anger without wiping up the moral majority into a frenzy and destroying the business. At least they didn't post to facebook for likes.

If it did happen - and I'm not saying it didn't just that healthy objectivity should really be exercised - then surely spreading the story by word of mouth, which might actually have an impact on someone's decision to visit said restaurant thereby hitting the restaurant where it hurts (the pockets) would be more effective?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

No, it's called being objective and not jumping on the perpetually enraged bandwagon.

So objective you instantly assumed the individual was seeking attention with an anonymous letter...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭johnny osbourne

supermacs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

smash wrote: »
    I get the feeling there's more to it too. Otherwise the restaurant would have been named.
    It's possible that the people involved don't wish to take the incident any further, Maybe one or both of them are not openly gay? they also might not want to bring such negative attention down against the café/restaurant?
    wakka12 wrote: »
    Im gay and I really find it hard to believe this happened..What restaurant would be stupid enough to pull a stunt like this after the controversy with the cake shop stuff
    A restaurant that was not doing so well might see any publicity as good publicity. on the other hand we only have a "letter" published in a gay newsletter which can only be described as an amateur publication and the story has been pounced on by more amateurs in the "mainstream" media.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

So a person makes a complaint about their treatment in a restaurant in Dublin, but they don't name the restaurant, and they want to remain anonymous?

Well that information is about as useful as a chocolate fireguard, and I'm no wiser having read this thread than I was before.

Even in saying that, I'm not a fan of PDA of any sort when I'm in a restaurant, unless it's somewhere like Supermacs, and then there's an expectation that there's likely to be plenty of PDA among teenagers, but if we're led to believe this is an adult restaurant where people are expected to behave respectably and with consideration for other patrons, then it won't kill anyone to avoid being touchy feely or hand holding or generally making other patrons uncomfortable. They've paid for an enjoyable meal just as much as the PDA patrons.

I wouldn't expect this incident has anything to do with the couple being gay, but moreso to do with the restaurant having an expected standard of behaviour.

So a person makes a complaint about their treatment in a restaurant in Dublin, but they don't name the restaurant, and they want to remain anonymous?

Well that information is about as useful as a chocolate fireguard, and I'm no wiser having read this thread than I was before.

Even in saying that, I'm not a fan of PDA of any sort when I'm in a restaurant, unless it's somewhere like Supermacs, and then there's an expectation that there's likely to be plenty of PDA among teenagers, but if we're led to believe this is an adult restaurant where people are expected to behave respectably and with consideration for other patrons, then it won't kill anyone to avoid being touchy feely or hand holding or generally making other patrons uncomfortable. They've paid for an enjoyable meal just as much as the PDA patrons.

I wouldn't expect this incident has anything to do with the couple being gay, but moreso to do with the restaurant having an expected standard of behaviour.

Again people regularly propose in restaurants. If someone has a problem with two people holding hands in a restaurant they really need to assess their life.

Lets get real people go on dates to restaurants they are going to be affectionate with one another!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

looksee wrote: »
    And I am making the point that if their behaviour was causing concern to other diners then the restaurant was entitled to ask them to stop; they are claiming it was a sexuality issue, but we do not know that. I am not jumping to any conclusions, i am pointing out that regardless of sexuality people should behave with consideration for other patrons in a restaurant. As several people have said, we only have one side of the argument here.

Somehow I doubt a straight couple holding hands would have had someone mumble "disgusting" at them as they left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

No evidence, no proof, just something some random stranger said in a letter to a magazine.

Given that fact, this is absolutely pathetic journalism and the response on social media is also pathetic.

There's every chance this is a total lie. And there'e every chance it's true. The point is, none of us actually has a clue either way.

As an aside, I personally find it repulsive seeing couples kissing in public, (and I don't mean just a little kiss on the lips.) If it was in a restaurant where I was trying to eat and they kept doing it (regardless of gender) I'd find it especially gross. But that's irrelevant to my point, which is that there's no evidence that this even happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭KilOit

bull**** click bate story

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

How does one apply to be in the passing judgement before both sides mob

Specialun wrote: »
    How does one apply to be in the passing judgement before both sides mob

If you own a smartphone and half a brain, you automatically qualify. Go nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

What was the grub like, inanyways?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

It's quite funny that just because "we" voted yes, that people think that everything is all rosey in the garden, and we're all a bunch of tolerant feckers and isn't Panti a great fella altogether.

The fact it had to be debated at all, and a sizeable number voted no should be enough to tell us that there are still a fair amount of people out there who would be against "the gays".:eek::eek:

It's not as if just because the yes vote won, that every gay couple can now start walking around hand in hand and show their affection in public, and everyone is going to be happy and content with the whole thing.
    It's a shame that every gay couple can't do that in Ireland, or may not feel comfortable with it, but it's not as if society changed overnight after the vote.

If this actually happened, then the manager of the restaurant should have f*cked out anyone who had a problem with the couple. Bang out of order, and how would you have held yourself back with that woman who said "disgusting". I would have chucked her dinner over her head, but you'd only be sinking to their level then. She would have deserved it though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

I see the gaystapo are out in force again, bullying and shaming anyone who doesn't get on their hands and knees and worship at the altar of almighty homosexuality. Drama queens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

Having worked in the past in many high/medium class restaurants as a waiter I find it highly improbable that any waiter would give instructions to any other customer to change their behaviour at the bequest of another. The behaviour would have be extreme and even then the waiter would customarily get the manager to speak firstly with the complainant before taking any action. The action I would expect the manger to take is to apologise to the complainant but say there is noting they can do about it and maybe offer them another table. One by the lavatory or front door preferably.

I kinda wish it was true though as I'm having withdrawal symptoms from all those fiery debates around the gay marriage referendum.

I see the gaystapo are out in force again, bullying and shaming anyone who doesn't get on their hands and knees and worship at the altar of almighty homosexuality. Drama queens.

That's not what (allegedly) happened though, so what exactly are you talking about?

You're ironically being the "drama queen" here.

Yes Frosty bow down (or bend over) and pay homoage.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Somehow I feel there's something more to it. Asked to leave because they were just holding hands? In a city center restaurant? And customers called them 'disgusting' as they walked out in shame? It seems highly dramatic. Homer Simpson and the Babysitter springs to mind.

Sounds that way. I've been in restraunts where male/female customers have been approached or asked to leave for being way to physical with each other and other stuff like that. Basically being a disturbance.

I'd doubt very much they were asked to leave due to what was written

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Again people regularly propose in restaurants. If someone has a problem with two people holding hands in a restaurant they really need to assess their life.

Lets get real people go on dates to restaurants they are going to be affectionate with one another!

Sure, they are, and then there are restaurants that have an expected standard of behaviour and if their patrons are paying for a certain standard (including ambience and so on), then they are entitled to make a complaint, as is a person who is being asked to leave the restaurant.

When the person asked to leave the restaurant however, starts making claims about how the incident has rocked his foundations or whatever, then that's the person you'd want to be telling to get a life for themselves.

Ashers bakery and printing company all over again. Seriously, some people are their own worst enemy, when most people who are LGBT just get on with their lives without crowing about discrimination at every slight when they've set it up to appear so already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

I'm calling bullsh1t on this story.

Unnamed restaurant with unlikely scenario and even more unlikely outcome. This is just badly done, made up, outrage inciting, SJW-baiting shennigans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Maybe one or both of them are not openly gay?

They were holding hands in a city centre restaurant in Ireland. So I doubt that

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

it sounds like this restaurant is in someone's imagination

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭Hitchens

they got a free meal, didn't they?

eveyones a winner here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Dont you get bored of trying to tell gay people what they can or cant do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

You can be certain they were snogging the face off eachother. The fact they mentioned that they were only holding hands and not kissing shows that the opposite is true. Inb4 "we were only kissing, is that a crime" and being all dramatic. Restaurant mangers are very shrewd and clever, they'd never kick anyone out for something as petty as that. They must have been full on mauling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭The Dogs Bollix

What do gay couples do on valentines day?

This isn't a joke, I'm just wondering. What do they do?

This post sickened me. Why give in to moaning shower of fckers? Thats the problem. Its backwards Ireland.

For the craic, i might go out and make a complaint about a heterosexual couple being all lovey dovey. They're everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

I too am outraged that the anonymous gay couple in the unnamed restaurant may or may not have been kicked out for hand holding or (to stay outraged whichever way) that they made this all up and badly defamed the anonymous restaurant.

It's an outrage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

What do gay couples do on valentines day?

This isn't a joke, I'm just wondering. What do they do?

This post sickened me. Why give in to moaning shower of fckers? Thats the problem. Its backwards Ireland.

For the craic, i might go out and make a complaint about a heterosexual couple being all lovey dovey. They're everywhere.

Gay couples go out to restaurants on Valentine's Day. Or don't if they don't like the hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

Dont you get bored of trying to tell gay people what they can or cant do?

They can do whatever they like in the privacy of their own home. Once you're in the public arena there's certain standards of decency that you have to adhere to. It's common courtesy; people don't go out to restaurants to watch two men eating the face off each other. There might have been children present as well.

Advertisement