Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay couple humiliated after being asked to leave Dublin restaurant

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

wakka12 wrote: »
    Im gay and I really find it hard to believe this happened..What restaurant would be stupid enough to pull a stunt like this after the controversy with the cake shop stuff

Just because you are gay does not mean you understand or have an extra insight to the totality of gay human experience.

That said, I do normally find these stories suspect a lot of the time because they tend to more often than not involve attention seeking types. On this occasion the complainant has chosen to remain anonymous and not to reveal the restaurant so I don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

It's pretty appalling.

However I find it hard to believe this could really happen in this day and age. There's probably a little more to the story than being let on. Otherwise they must have attended one sh1thole of a restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,414 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I too find it unlikely.Bad publicity,possible lawsuit.
    Unless the complainer was a mafia boss I don't see the motivation.

Sounds believable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Just because you are gay does not mean you understand or have an extra insight to the totally gay human experience.

That said, I do normally find these stories suspect a lot of the time because they tend to more often than not involve attention seeking types. On this occasion the complainant has chosen to remain anonymous and not to reveal the restaurant so I don't know.

I know..I didnt mean it like that. Just I hold hands with my boyfriend in lots of clubs and restaurants and other venues all over Dublin city and we've received remarkably little trouble over it during the 6 months we've been together. People in Dublin for the most part seem so liberal and accepting, and those who arent seem to just turn their heads but never give us any problems. So thats why I find the story extremely hard to believe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,184 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think there is a level of behaviour in a restaurant that would make other diners a bit uncomfortable, but you would have to be there to know what that level was.

Ok so they were not kissing, but if they were acting in a way that would attract attention they should have been asked to stop. Most people have the cop on to act reasonably without having to be asked. What gender they were is absolutely irrelevant, I would no more want to have to be distracted by a heterosexual couple being exhibitionist about whatever they were celebrating.

Everyone in the restaurant is there for their own reason and should be able to concentrate on their own event/meal without having to work round someone else's.

wakka12 wrote: »
    I know..I didnt mean it like that. Just I hold hands with my boyfriend in lots of clubs and restaurants and other venues all over Dublin city and we've received remarkably little trouble over it during the 6 months we've been together. People in Dublin for the most part seem so liberal and accepting, and those who arent seem to just turn their heads but never give us any problems. So thats why I find the story extremely hard to believe

I understand but that is the thing about it, you never feel it or anticipate it until the day it happens to you. For all we know the couple involved may have felt the same way until that night. Clearly they did feel comfortable enough to hold hands. I wouldn't feel that way. It was only Sunday when I was walking back from a restaurant with my OH and a group of lads shouted '******s' at us and then laughed and shouted 'gay boys' as we continued down the street. That was on a street that comes of St Stephens Green btw so not deepest darkest Dublin either and we weren't holding hands or anything.

Unfortunately crap like this happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

If this actually happened it's outrageous. I would have assumed that any business would do everything in their power to avoid that kind of ****storm, one disgruntled customer is nothing compared to the abuse they could end up receiving from the general population.

I think there's probably way more to this story. At this point it's nothing more than gossip, if facebook gets involved it will probably destroy that business regardless of what actually happened. That's why I'd be shocked if a business brought it on themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Yea, I think there's a lot more to this story than what we're being told.

looksee wrote: »
    I think there is a level of behaviour in a restaurant that would make other diners a bit uncomfortable, but you would have to be there to know what that level was.

It is quite clear that the individual involved is aware of that. The point is they were subjected to a different standard due to their sexuality (allegedly).
    Ok so they were not kissing, but if they were acting in a way that would attract attention they should have been asked to stop. Most people have the cop on to act reasonably without having to be asked. What gender they were is absolutely irrelevant, I would no more want to have to be distracted by a heterosexual couple being exhibitionist about whatever they were celebrating.

Everyone in the restaurant is there for their own reason and should be able to concentrate on their own event/meal without having to work round someone else's.

People literally propose to one another in a restaurants. Its hard to get more intimate than that without you know actually getting 'intimate'. I don't get your automatic assumption that these individuals must have been molesting each other graphically.

• Advertisement

after that pre-referendum wedding cake fiasco etc?? you're mad if you believe this clown of a writer trying to fill space. sure we can all start quoting the TRUE stories in bleeding bella magazine without checking them out either from now on! INDEPENDENT.. one word.. SOURCE!bull**** story if you aske me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Maybe I'm being too forgiving to the restaurant, but I find it hard to believe this happened in this day and age.

I suspect there's more to the story, but if there isn't, then the restaurant should be named and shamed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Caoimhgh1n

That's disgraceful, if the couple asked for the straight people to be kicked out, it would be completely different.

Tá sé 2015, Fás suas!

It's 2015, Grow up!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,184 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It is quite clear that the individual involved is aware of that. The point is they were subjected to a different standard due to their sexuality (allegedly).

People literally propose to one another in a restaurants. Its hard to get more intimate than that without you know actually getting 'intimate'. I don't get your automatic assumption that these individuals must have been molesting each other graphically.

And I am making the point that if their behaviour was causing concern to other diners then the restaurant was entitled to ask them to stop; they are claiming it was a sexuality issue, but we do not know that. I am not jumping to any conclusions, i am pointing out that regardless of sexuality people should behave with consideration for other patrons in a restaurant. As several people have said, we only have one side of the argument here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

This is barely half a story and as such hard to take seriously regardless of the incident's nature.

And I am making the point that if their behaviour was causing concern to other diners then the restaurant was entitled to ask them to stop; they are claiming it was a sexuality issue, but we do not know that. I am not jumping to any conclusions, i am pointing out that regardless of sexuality people should behave with consideration for other patrons in a restaurant. As several people have said, we only have one side of the argument here.

I agree with you to a point, but being in a restaurant is being in a public space so imho you have to treat it as such and part of that is tolerating a certain level of behaviour that one personally might not like.

Holding hands, longing looks those are not anywhere close to the bounds of acceptability and as such any complaint about it should be ignored. Likewise I wouldn't tolerate a complaint about a lady breastfeeding or a person crying.

We do only have one side of the story but the individual hasn't sought out attention or attacked the restaurant so I'm being more generous than I would otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

If this did happen I bet you it was at a restaurant called something like باكستاني Kebabs

• Registered Users Posts: 33,162 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Are you asking me if I have an issue with it? Holding hands? Hell no. Making out? Probably. But I'd feel the same about heterosexual couples too, because I'm single and bitter right now :pac:

Ah, I misread your openign post - sorry! Thought you said you were uncomfortable with the holding hands part.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,162 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

If this did happen I bet you it was at a restaurant called something like باكستاني Kebabs

COuld just as easily have been a catholic one, if such a thing existed!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

I was in a restaurant once when the hetero couple beside us started with all that 'No, I love YOU more' nonsense at full volume and pawing all over eachother. It pissed me off and it was very intrusive. If the gay couple were at that, it would affect me the same, no better, no worse. I know they are quoted as just holding hands, but I would like to hear the other side

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

If this happened it will be in the courts and the couple will be awarded a very tidy sum.

Course, there's not a bloody chance that it did.

They should be delighted because IF events are as they described they will of course get a nice pay day in an Equality Tribunal.

Like many others here I would be surprised that their version of events would go unchallenged...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I reckon there HAS to be more to this story than we're getting here.

The amount of posters jumping to instant Internet outrage on behalf of 2 people they likely don't know, will never meet, and have only heard their side of this story though is simulataneously hilarious and disturbing.

If they were behaving in an inappropriate manner (regardless of their sexuality) and continued to do so having been politely (and I'm sure somewhat awkwardly) asked to stop, then they absolutely deserved to be asked to leave.

But again, only hearing one side here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

I agree with you to a point, but being in a restaurant is being in a public space so imho you have to treat it as such and part of that is tolerating a certain level of behaviour that one personally might not like.

Holding hands, longing looks those are not anywhere close to the bounds of acceptability and as such any complaint about it should be ignored. Likewise I wouldn't tolerate a complaint about a lady breastfeeding or a person crying.

We do only have one side of the story but the individual hasn't sought out attention or attacked the restaurant so I'm being more generous than I would otherwise.

He wrote a letter to the paper! Of course he sought out attention.

If what he says is true, it's not acceptable, but to be honest, I'm calling BS on it. I find it difficult to believe that people would complain about something so innocuous as holding hands. The icing on the cake for me was someone saying they were disgusting as they were leaving the restaurant. I find that difficult to believe. There is definitely more to the story than is being let on. If the writer was so offended, and the incident happened exactly as he described, then why the anonymity?

If what he says is true, it's not acceptable, but to be honest, I'm calling BS on it. I find it difficult to believe that people would complain about something so innocuous as holding hands. The icing on the cake for me was someone saying they were disgusting as they were leaving the restaurant. I find that difficult to believe. There is definitely more to the story than is being let on. If the writer was so offended, and the incident happened exactly as he described, then why the anonymity?

An anonymous letter. Was he seeking attention anonymously?:D

Some people love nothing more than reacting incredulously to any allegation of discrimination.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I hope the restaurant is named eventually.
    I hope the restaurant eventually tells us what has happened.

Also, the Independent has gotten some of its stories off Reddit, so it's not exactly doing much research into its stories.

I call bullsh|t.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Wouldn't stop the journal from publishing it. Their left wing so-called journalists seem to be more interested in continually becoming enraged over whatever the inequality du jour is. I suspect their sexuality wasn't the issue here, their behaviour was.

Actually lolling at half the posts here. 'We only have half the story. We can't know what happened'... two sentences later... 'this didn't happen and if it did it wasn't cause they were gay they must have been behaving badly'.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Well to be fair, if it did actually happen, then writing a letter to the paper might be just some way of venting the anger without wiping up the moral majority into a frenzy and destroying the business. At least they didn't post to facebook for likes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

An anonymous letter. Was he seeking attention anonymously?:D

Some people love nothing more than reacting incredulously to any allegation of discrimination.

No, it's called being objective and not jumping on the perpetually enraged bandwagon.

Advertisement