Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boyracers at petrol stations

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

kneemos wrote: »
    Probably not the police leaving half their tyres inbedded in every roadway in the country.

Don't get the logic in spending thousands on a ****box to make it virtually undriveable.Whatever blows your trumpet I suppose.

Not too many gardai ending up "tragically" wrapped around a telephone pole with 4 buddies in the car at 3 in the morning either.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

lawlolawl wrote: »
    Not too many gardai ending up "tragically" wrapped around a telephone pole with 4 buddies in the car at 3 in the morning either.
    Precious few "boy racers" end up wrapped around telephone poles either. If you look at the stats most of those late night crash fatalities are single drivers, usually male, in very average cars. Speed, lack of sleep, drink taken and carelessness the usual culprits(along with some "suicide by accident" examples).

The "boy racer" thing is mostly a meme promoted by the RSA and Joe Duffy acolytes. Yes the drifting morons on the public roads should be hung up by their organs of generation, but most young lads(and lasses) into cars spend a lot of their hard earned on them and don't relish the thoughts of wrecking said cars.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Shock, horror, young lads are into cars, it's terrible Joe.
    "Why can't you like the same things I do"
    "I don't like what you're into therefore it's ****"

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Wibbs wrote: »
    Precious few "boy racers" end up wrapped around telephone poles either. If you look at the stats most of those late night crash fatalities are single drivers, usually male, in very average cars. Speed, lack of sleep, drink taken and carelessness the usual culprits(along with some "suicide by accident" examples).

The "boy racer" thing is mostly a meme promoted by the RSA and Joe Duffy acolytes. Yes the drifting morons on the public roads should be hung up by their organs of generation, but most young lads(and lasses) into cars spend a lot of their hard earned on them and don't relish the thoughts of wrecking said cars.

Don't see them racing because if they go over even a tiny bump at more than 30kph they'll break their spine.
    Must be an awful lot of of morons about judging by the state of the roads.The "documentary"on "car enthusiasts"on RTE a while back seemed to consist of little else other than spinning wheels and making doughnuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,395 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

kneemos wrote: »
    Don't see them racing because if they go over even a tiny bump at more than 30kph they'll break their spine.
    Must be an awful lot of of morons about judging by the state of the roads.The "documentary"on "car enthusiasts"on RTE a while back seemed to consist of little else other than spinning wheels and making doughnuts.

To be fair, those idiots aren't really representative of most people that drive non standard cars. for example, on the Motors forum, where a lot of posters have modified cars the negative reaction to that programme was unanimous.
    Most modified cars in Ireland are front wheel drive, which means they cant do donuts either way, so the association between modifying your car and doing rings at a crossroads isn't a sure thing.

My local McDonalds often has 2 or 3 cars parked together where the owners are just chatting, some of the cars are a bit tasteless fair enough, but I reckon in most cases you have young guys who mightn't be very social in the traditional sense, whose circle of friends come about through car ownership - and they're hanging out having the craic in the same way that you might when you're going to the pub on a Saturday watching a match, where your common ground is an interest in sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,571 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I think most people seem to make a distinction between car enthusiasts who are just interested in cars and like working with/on cars, and those who fly round the place and round in circles.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

colm_mcm wrote: »
    To be fair, those idiots aren't really representative of most people that drive non standard cars. for example, on the Motors forum, where a lot of posters have modified cars the negative reaction to that programme was unanimous.
    Most modified cars in Ireland are front wheel drive, which means they cant do donuts either way, so the association between modifying your car and doing rings at a crossroads isn't a sure thing.

My local McDonalds often has 2 or 3 cars parked together where the owners are just chatting, some of the cars are a bit tasteless fair enough, but I reckon in most cases you have young guys who mightn't be very social in the traditional sense, whose circle of friends come about through car ownership - and they're hanging out having the craic in the same way that you might when you're going to the pub on a Saturday watching a match, where your common ground is an interest in sport.

The front wheel drive cars do those zig zag lines,the more expensive rear wheel drive do the donuts . Don't know who does them,but in my travels around the country virtually every road has them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

Each to their own but I admire some so called boy racers. It's amazing to think that Toyota twin cams can go for £15k+ when about 10 years ago they were worth £3k and below (I reckon the Lexus IS200 will go the same way). My locality isn't too bad for "boy racers", and they're more into German cars like A4s, Golfs, Jettas/Boras, 3 series etc rather than anything noisy and Japanese. Still one or two coupes lurking about which I always like to see!

armaghlad wrote: »
    Each to their own but I admire some so called boy racers. It's amazing to think that Toyota twin cams can go for £15k+ when about 10 years ago they were worth £3k and below (I reckon the Lexus IS200 will go the same way). My locality isn't too bad for "boy racers", and they're more into German cars like A4s, Golfs, Jettas/Boras, 3 series etc rather than anything noisy and Japanese. Still one or two coupes lurking about which I always like to see!

People paying way over the odds for some auld hape with some tacky tat bolted to it isn't admirable, it's idiotic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

They're compensating for small genitalia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭fima

osarusan wrote: »
    If you drive from Ennis to Kilrush or Kilkee, you'll see loads of tyre-mark doughnuts on the road where they've been doing their late-night thing. How many times do you have to spin round in a circle before you get bored of it?

I always wonder about that when I drive past/over them. How do they even do that? Is there people watching out for them, what happens if a car comes?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

On a side note when possible I always park beside the so called "boy racers" because I know that they won't bang doors /trollies ect. off my car and they know that I wont do it either. They put a huge amount of TLC(and money) into their cars and really take care and have pride in them.

Apart from the marks on the road what else have people to complain about..Im delighted my lot are parked up outside Texaco at the weekend ,I'm be a lot more worried when they're in town drinking tbh.

There's always a few messers in every group but Ive never seen a fight at a car meet unlike a lot of other places where youngsters gather pubs,matches ect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Boy Racers are of much intellectual depth and provide us with a detailed analysis of how a neanderthal might behave in a globalized,cosmopolitan world.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Real old man stink off this thread

Would love to be back in my Mk2 flooring it around the place without a care in the world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭Stig Inge

They don't cause any trouble around here anyway.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Boy Racers are of much intellectual depth and provide us with a detailed analysis of how a neanderthal might behave in a globalized,cosmopolitan world.
    Interesting.

In New Guinea there are engineers who paddle upstream when they go home for the weekend. If you educate kids you can go from the stone age to now in a single generation.

Also neanderthals, coming from a gift economy would probably behave better to the rest of us than our many psychopathic business "leaders".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

People paying way over the odds for some auld hape with some tacky tat bolted to it isn't admirable, it's idiotic.

Each to their own.

I just dropped a grand on a PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

I'd rather share the road with a thousand "Boy racers" rather than one cyclist any day of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭gw80

I know a guy from here in Waterford who would have been one of these idiots as you put it, who had an interest in cars and turned it into a career, setting up a drift series and ended up touring the world with a top drift team, one of the last pictures he put up on Facebook was of him on a yaught in Dubai with bikini clad girls enjoying the sun, while you were doing your nine to five, who would he think the idiot was?

Point is some lads end up making a living from there interest in cars, there are lots of avenues people end up on because of first time they fancy modifying there first ****box, it should be encouraged more in this country

eeguy wrote: »
    Each to their own.

I just dropped a grand on a PC.

Was it from the mid nineties and have you glued a bunch of pointless **** to it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Colser wrote: »
    I'd rather share the road with a thousand "Boy racers" rather than one cyclist any day of the week.

Mr O'Leary nice of you to drop by.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭gw80

Was it from the mid nineties and have you glued a bunch of pointless **** to it?
    Your opinion is pointless,
    Because it's just that, an opinion, what are your interests that are just so much more important than everyone else's,
    What makes your hobby or interest the right hobby or interest to spend money on, Anwnser, your opinion,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

So many opinions in here that seem to come straight from a tabloid newspaper. They're grand in general and cause no harm to anyone. Better than the Muppets who don't care about their cars and get loaded with drink before driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

A fully restored classic car commands a large asking price and the demand is here for certain cars. A 30 year old Toyota coupe might not be everyone's cup of tea but the fact is they're highly desirable and most are meticulously maintained by their owners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

And the cars that are commanding 15k are neither tacky nor do they have crap "glued" onto them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

fryup wrote: »
    when they're not looking...stick a banana up their tailpipe

The size of some of them tailpipes you'd need a grapefruit!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 284 ✭✭Benevolent Misanthrope

Colser wrote: »
    You like traffic congestion? Each to their own.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Real old man stink off this thread
    Indeed. Waving their walking sticks out their windows complaining. This isn't music! in my day we had real music with tunes you could hum. And we had respect for things and cars were sensible and slow and their trunnions needed greasing. Ahh grease nipples... *chokes on Wurthers toffee* You would wonder how so many could be so dour so young.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭milehip

Wibbs wrote: »
    If someone isn't an enthusiast of something, they must be a boring fart to say the least.

Im not really an 'enthusiast' of anything does that make me a 'boring fart?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

This is a all I hear at night from the main street when I'm trying to get to sleep.....muppets

Advertisement