Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boyracers at petrol stations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Colser wrote: »
    I'd rather share the road with a thousand "Boy racers" rather than one cyclist any day of the week.

I find boy racers to be generally well behaved and mannered, in well maintained cars that are adapted appropriately to the road conditions. The fact that single males in road collision statistics rank so low, in fact barely measurable, is of a great comfort to me when I'm walking and cycling with my family and one passes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭makingmecrazy

All lined up side by side, not buying anything in the place, but just beeping at random people going into shop. Why do they do this ? :confused:

Do people genuinely think that they are all there, in the dark, beeping at each other when coming in and out of the garage to "admire" each others cars???

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

I assume there's a distinction here between actual car enthusiasts who can build say a classic Datsun like an old friend of mine did and your time travelling mouth breather from 2006 parked up at Mcdonalds revving the **** out of his civic with a dump valve ? Because if it's the latter, I can sympathize OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

lawlolawl wrote: »
    Was it from the mid nineties and have you glued a bunch of pointless **** to it?

Well it looks like a stealth bomber and has a distracting number of LEDs so.... yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

From the look of them I had just assumed that they were part of some gay dogging club.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41 psheaser

Boy racers "race" to compensate for lacking in other areas.

Eg the brain and reproductive functions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

psheaser wrote: »

I think you'll find they're pretty good at the reproductive side of things. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

I assume there's a distinction here between actual car enthusiasts who can build say a classic Datsun like an old friend of mine did and your time travelling mouth breather from 2006 parked up at Mcdonalds revving the **** out of his civic with a dump valve ? Because if it's the latter, I can sympathize OP.

Turbo civic? Well that's either a brand new type r or one damn committed enthusiast.

Get back on your Zimmer frame Hans. :pac:

• Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

back in my day the XR3i was the king of the road

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    I find boy racers to be generally well behaved and mannered, in well maintained cars that are adapted appropriately to the road conditions. The fact that single males in road collision statistics rank so low, in fact barely measurable, is of a great comfort to me when I'm walking and cycling with my family and one passes.

Chopped suspension more like with dangerous handling.
    I've often seen them avoiding the smallest of bumps to prevent the shockwave from the suspension.God knows what would happen if they actually hit a pothole.

• Advertisement

This is a all I hear at night from the main street when I'm trying to get to sleep.....muppets

Sounds class doesn't it!
    psheaser wrote: »

Total and utter nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Sounds class doesn't it!

True actually. Comes from sitting in the same position for hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,194 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I often pay attention to the news when there's a story about a crash.
    Generally when there's young people involved the cars are very standard basically cars with hub caps. You'd rarely see even the cheaply done up boy racers cars crashed.
    When I see a group of lads in cars parked beside one another in petrol stations generally there just talking to one another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Sounds class doesn't it!

Sounds like idiots trying to overcompensate for something..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭cml387

Once I saw on the back of a particularly fine specimen of automobilis modificus dickus maximus the sign "Don't fear the bend, bend the fear".

I always thought this would provide much amusement to the emergency services as they extricated the vehicle from a tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,581 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Dublin city council plans to pretty much ban Driving in Dublin - ever try driving under 35 km h ?
    the new proposed speed limit - The nanny state will probably crack down hard on those doing 36 kmh and leave the uninsured and the real dangerous speedsters alone - so the boy racers should be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

cml387 wrote: »
    Once I saw on the back of a particularly fine specimen of automobilis modificus dickus maximus the sign "Don't fear the bend, bend the fear".

I always thought this would provide much amusement to the emergency services as they extricated the vehicle from a tree.

You thought wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

Being on a boat with girls wearing bikinis is the pinnacle of success.
    Being on a dart with girls wearing trousers means you've a long way to go, yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

fatknacker wrote: »
    Being on a boat with girls wearing bikinis is the pinnacle of success.
    Being on a dart with girls wearing trousers means you've a long way to go, yet.

dodgy logic there

http://i.imgur.com/kAIWVT3.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TheBiz

Couple of 'boy racer wannabes (no cars) were on a geography trip awhile backs they shouted 'awh yup man rings man' and lost the plot when they seen an altezza, this was indicated with car noises.
    Not one of them mentioned the Shelby Cobra on the road that shook the bus as we passed.
    They're simple creatures, they do it to avoid too much mental stimulus.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

milehip wrote: »
    Im not really an 'enthusiast' of anything does that make me a 'boring fart?

In that posters opinion, yes it does.

34k posts on an Internet forum would't though, that would be 'cool'.

Strong whiff of ageism around this thread, I don't like that in a poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,285 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Don't see anything wrong with young fellas having an interest in cars (although personally a car is just something that gets me around) and if they want to spend their money on a car let them off.

It's being kept awake at night when they pass the house like the hammers of hell that pisses me off, and of course the next morning the road is black from them doing doughnuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

kneemos wrote:
    Chopped suspension more like with dangerous handling. I've often seen them avoiding the smallest of bumps to prevent the shockwave from the suspension.God knows what would happen if they actually hit a pothole.

Its to avoid bodywork damage on a low car,not shockwaves lol...

Low cars are not suitable for rural or of the main roads for this reason,stones,small branches etc..all scrape and chip paint on a lowered car..exhausts hang lower too so need to be protected.
    You wont find cut springs on any car worth money,in fact your more likley to find upgraded braking and suspension.

Some of the cars are kak,even with money spent on them and id have a giggle,but id rather my lads were into cars n girls than drink n drugs,so i respect the boys who put in the time and effort to mod a car..it promotes long term goals in young lads,a great thing imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭groucho marx

This thread is getting great mileage
    I reckon a lot of the people bothered by it are just jealous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

The name boy racer tells you why a lot of people find the hobby ridiculous. There's an awful lot of silly posturing and pretend about it: pretend racers with pretend cars expecting to be the centre of attention. That's the nature of the age as many people here have said too. But look at Top Gear and how popular it is. People like cars and speed and making the damn thing go faster. Go on Ta ****!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

This thread is getting great mileage
    I reckon a lot of the people bothered by it are just jealous

Yeah I'm really feeling left out not having a 96 modified micra on my driveway. The shame.

Anyway looks like I can join this club handy enough. Comes with a handy roof vent as well, which is nice

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/hyundai-coupe-98/12380866

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Wouldn't life be so much better if no one had an interest in anything, people just worked/went to
    School etc and then went home and sat in their homes for the rest of the day.

99% of the time they're doing no harm and you'll find that very few of them are involved in accidents as they value their cars, ok they might drive like idiots from time to time but it's usually short lived and away from built up areas, usually.

I was the same at their age (20's) I spent a seriously ridiculous amount of money on cars over the years (I'd have no mortgage and a nice nest egg now if I'd saved it all but where's the fun in that!) I spent 4 or 5 evenings a week sitting parked in forecourts and industrial estates talking and messing about with my friends, it was our 'thing'. Those friends are still my best friends and we all meet up regularly to be boring and go to pub and chat and laugh about the great fun we used to have when we were younger messing about at night in our cars.

I wouldn't change it or do it differently for anything.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

In that posters opinion, yes it does.
    Yep. I mean seriously, if you've no interests or enthusiasms, WTF are you alive for? To codify "Beige" as a human personality?
    34k posts on an Internet forum would't though, that would be 'cool'.
    It's anything but cool. I am well aware of this.
    Strong whiff of ageism around this thread, I don't like that in a poster.
    We agree on something at least, though I suspect from different angles.
    Don't see anything wrong with young fellas having an interest in cars (although personally a car is just something that gets me around) and if they want to spend their money on a car let them off.
    +1.
    It's being kept awake at night when they pass the house like the hammers of hell that pisses me off, and of course the next morning the road is black from them doing doughnuts.
    +1 again. No need for that nonsense.
    Wouldn't life be so much better if no one had an interest in anything, people just worked/went to
    School etc and then went home and sat in their homes for the rest of the day.
    It seems some actually think like that CJC. Or more likely it's down to "it's not my interest, I don't understand it, therefore it's stupid" with a side order of "damn kids!!" *rant*.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Wibbs wrote: »
    All enthusiasts are "sad cases" for those judgemental souls not interested in what they're enthusiastic about. Gamers, hill walkers, record collectors, cyclists, anglers, stamp collectors, whatever. If someone isn't an enthusiast of something, they must be a boring fart to say the least.

As for "boy racers". Sometimes I do wonder about the age demographic on threads like these, because the responses can come across like a bunch of old folks on the bus moaning and itching to ring Joe when they get home. Where ye ever young and daft? Sheesh.

So a bunch of folk who don't enthuse about as you say"boy racers " your opinion are a bunch of old folks on a bus moaning a ringing Duffy?

Very poor response to that post Mr W, very poor indeed.

People are entitled to their opinion, and if you are not in favour of a bunch of pinheaded goons driving arounds in pimped machines, making noise and generally acting the bollox,there is no need to describe them as a "bunch of old folks on a bus moaning and itching to ring Joe when they get home "

Doesn't do you any favours.

Advertisement