Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North Quays

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

An update from earlier this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭bullpost

Great video - Really shows the scale of the work involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,941 ✭✭✭✭looksee

How do they get all the rubbish off site, and where does it go?

I'm open to correction here but the contract is only to take the buildings down, obviously the steel and metal will be sold on and I'm sure someone will take away the timber, but the rubble is to be left there, that's my understanding anyway.

Some good progress made this after noon, I'll duck down shortly and get some pics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Some good progress made this after noon, I'll duck down shortly and get some pics.

Was in top getting petrol this evening so I was having a gander when filling up its gonna be great to be able to see across to the town. I'd say the town will look well when it's dark and the outline of the buildings are showing with their lights.

1465184D-9016-4D28-9026-0FC298396837_zpsqm6hi46g.jpg

B188D35F-03DE-4DEF-AE75-E575250A54F0_zps10b1ftgh.jpg

FA5E81E2-F955-443F-9DAD-998CCEA30E68_zps34b0wlat.jpg

FA8F1638-9A0A-41DF-AF93-D11E705E7D9E_zpsn0uybcx7.jpg

0854BE32-D9F0-4C1D-B240-00B60459C009_zpsuzct67tu.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

Isn't the biggest building not being knocked for historical reasons?

Parachutes wrote: »
    Isn't the biggest building not being knocked for historical reasons?

Yes, there is a preservation order on the building in red

IMG_2781_zpssvwrguku.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 27,941 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Would be a terrible shame if the guy with the machine lost track of which bit of mass concrete he was supposed to be knocking down...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

A preservation order on a big square lump of concrete, what kind of historical value does that have ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

shockwave wrote: »
    A preservation order on a big square lump of concrete, what kind of historical value does that have ffs

Think it was the first structural steel/concrete building in Ireland.I know of similar things in place in other countries.I think if fixed up, could look great, they don't build with loads of windows in that style anymore, real industrial 70ish years ago stuff.has very good potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭bullpost

Loft living Waterford-style here we come :)
    Max Powers wrote: »
    Think it was the first structural steel/concrete building in Ireland.I know of similar things in place in other countries.I think if fixed up, could look great, they don't build with loads of windows in that style anymore, real industrial 70ish years ago stuff.has very good potential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

JohnC. wrote: »
    This is from Friday
    C9xRDre.jpg

Streetview image for comparison. You can see some sheds (where the demolition crane is now) are gone and some work started on the end of the big building.
    8UFJKyb.jpg
    Have you got another picture like this to see more progress?

Won't be much different as the demolition work which is going on at the minute is to the rear of the furthest building on the right. Only when that building comes down will we see the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

Will anything be done with the building with the preservation order (I.E painted) or is it just going to be left there to continue being an eyesore?

Seems ridiculous to knock the rest while leaving the most sizeable building still standing!

Some excellent pics captured by Jamie Malone

https://www.facebook.com/ThruMyEyesByJamie/posts/1144122138971431

ACB5371C-092B-4801-95FF-6D78497C62FF_zpsiwzam7gj.jpg

09D95AC8-24BB-4BBD-A63A-C991B975A7E8_zpsqhlbhhks.jpg

8FC98452-D87D-4306-8314-3559CC973D1E_zpssw3cq8mi.jpg

DEF3D621-2523-47D9-981E-23D568927530_zpspqnristm.jpg

26D554CA-973F-4A7D-986C-4128DE79CA63_zpsk9xklxvx.jpg

Here's the drone footage from Jamie Malone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Fantastic I want a drone! :D More of these when they are put up...

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Parachutes wrote: »
    Will anything be done with the building with the preservation order (I.E painted) or is it just going to be left there to continue being an eyesore?

Seems ridiculous to knock the rest while leaving the most sizeable building still standing!

Its actually not the biggest building - below is some pictures of it when it was the largest building.
    Jambo wrote: »
    My Guess it would be larger building in the picture below that is staying ( this is behind the current front building which used to have the large poster on it)

P_WP_1793.jpg

P_WP_1792.jpg

Out of interest here is the same building getting built

P_WP_4024.jpg

All pictures are from the Poole Collection at the National Library

Add a bit of positive thinking and planning and it could be converted to something like this Opera house in Marseille / Le Silo Marseille

Or one any of the many examples on Google

• Advertisement

im actually confused now, I hadn't realised that the building that I had marked from the Ferrybank side as the one that's staying and the one that has the poster on it on the quayside are actually two separate buildings till I saw that drone footage. If the poster one is going, then it will be some undertaking to take that one out of it without touching the one behind it, and also due to the fact that it's so close to the river.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

im actually confused now, I hadn't realised that the building that I had marked from the Ferrybank side as the one that's staying and the one that has the poster on it on the quayside are actually two separate buildings till I saw that drone footage. If the poster one is going, then it will be some undertaking to take that one out of it without touching the one behind it, and also due to the fact that it's so close to the river.

The "Poster" building is also built over the river on piles so that will also add to the challenge I guess.

Anymore photos on the progress?

O Riain wrote: »

This is from five mins ago

1ADB4BAF-2914-4598-BAF8-A6689047FBB2_zpspl4sxx7f.jpg

O Riain wrote: »

This is from five mins ago

1ADB4BAF-2914-4598-BAF8-A6689047FBB2_zpspl4sxx7f.jpg

Deadly stuff. Thanks boy! Progress is slow enough on that building in comparison to the others that have already been knocked.

They seem to be knocking this one in stages, one side at a time, I dunno can it be seen in this video or not but that whole wall in the middle is shaking everytime the grabber grabs the top of it. I reckon that most of this building will be gone by end of tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Yeah, this building seems to be taking the longest. Its addictive to watch. The amount of wood stacked up already is amazing.

I know it was posted here before (like 7 years ago!) but there are some photos here of the inside on the mills.

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/r-h-hall-flour-mills-waterford-ireland-september-2014.t92219

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/r-h-hall-waterford-ireland-30-05-09.t40664

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/spillers-mill-waterford-15-05-09.t41442

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/spillers-waterford-flour-mills-ireland-30-5-09.t40581

I really love these photos, I was never brave enough to explore them.

Anyone remember the Heiniken sponsored band that played down there about 10 years ago?

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Yeah, this building seems to be taking the longest. Its addictive to watch. The amount of wood stacked up already is amazing.

I know it was posted here before (like 7 years ago!) but there are some photos here of the inside on the mills.

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/r-h-hall-flour-mills-waterford-ireland-september-2014.t92219

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/r-h-hall-waterford-ireland-30-05-09.t40664

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/spillers-mill-waterford-15-05-09.t41442

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/spillers-waterford-flour-mills-ireland-30-5-09.t40581

I really love these photos, I was never brave enough to explore them.

Anyone remember the Heiniken sponsored band that played down there about 10 years ago?

Was it not Coors? They had a load of shipping containers right? Was it not the coronas that played, or Mundy or someone like that

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The silo's are certainly no loss,

Advertisement