Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

North Quays

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

At that rate it'll be done just before the new century! How are they doing to deal with the major structures?

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

At that rate it'll be done just before the new century! How are they doing to deal with the major structures?

There's a much bigger long reach demolition excavator on site that can well reach.

True its going to take time bringing down the buildings but it should save on having to process the debris into smaller pieces when its on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭funrunner95

Cheers for photos, looks like reasonable progress is being from what I've been reading it stalled for a few weeks lets hope they can kick on with it

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

C1BC8349-62FC-4D89-B001-51FA26E58F94_zpsvtdu1ump.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Keep those photos and videos coming Aquos76, I'm am positively drooling here!

(I lead a sad life).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Perhaps this is a stupid question but how come they weren't brought down by controlled explosion?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

alta stare wrote: »
    Perhaps this is a stupid question but how come they weren't brought down by controlled explosion?

It's not stupid to be fair...I would guess, this way they can separate all the stuff as it comes down or maybe it's easier to control take down where big explosion,$hit , dust etc would go everywhere..
    Somebody go down there and ask them.maybe they just don't have the expertise and materials to do it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

alta stare wrote: »

id say half of it would end up in the river. im hearing theres a good bit of asbestos in the building to. that wouldnt be good flying round the place! i suspect its hard to get licensing for controlled demolitions in urban areas to. rarely hear of them taking place in ireland. love to see one though

Yeah I forgot the asbestos is probably an issue. Maybe given its sitting on a dock that could be another issue or as Max suggest maybe they don't have the expertise. Either way it will be great when it's redeveloped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jelutong

There's also two petrol stations,the railway tracks and the dual carriageway in close proximity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

IMG_0424_zpsgnvak9ks.jpg

IMG_0425_zpsvuykrkfe.jpg

Will be interesting to see how they work on the building which had the tall ships poster as that's built overwater, surrounded by water on 3 ish sides and by the building they have to preserve on the other.

I see in the news and star that they mentioned that the council was to have been provided with a timetable for the completion of works at last week's council meeting! Is anyone aware of what was mentioned / discussed?

Some pics from today

IMG_2779_zpswrbknroy.jpg

IMG_2781_zpssvwrguku.jpg

The building thats marked out is the one which will be remaining due to preservation order

IMG_2783_zpsubqx7fcu.jpg

IMG_2785.jpg%201_zpslbws1oec.jpg

One of these should be next to go now, a lot of the windows on the building marked in blue have been opened up and some sort of demolition work has been going on inside of it

I was talking to one of the workers there this afternoon, he tells me that the contractor was taken aback by the amount of steel that was in the building that came down last week and if the other buildings are the same its going to be a far bigger undertaking than anticipated. At present they are currently separating the concrete and the steel as the steel will need to be disposed of separately. This is what's going on in the third picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

Are those your own markers on the photo?

Are those your own markers on the photo?

Yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

Why would you preserve a rat infested eyesore while you have the chance to tear it down?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Why would you preserve a rat infested eyesore while you have the chance to tear it down?

Its easier to get rid of the rats :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

What are the council plans in the immediate term for the building with a preservation order on it? Leave as an eye-sore until they eventually get started on the site in general or tidy it up?

Sully wrote: »
    What are the council plans in the immediate term for the building with a preservation order on it? Leave as an eye-sore until they eventually get started on the site in general or tidy it up?

How can anyone truly say that this building is an eyesore when its been hidden from full public view from the Ferrybank Side and Total View from the City side for over 50 years ?

Have a look at this ex silo building in Marseilles - now the Opera House - IMO this was a 100 times uglier than the building being retained !

It would be nice to see this kind of thought process employed during the rejuvenation plans for the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Jambo wrote: »
    How can anyone truly say that this building is an eyesore when its been hidden from full public view from the Ferrybank Side and Total View from the City side for over 50 years ?

Have a look at this ex silo building in Marseilles - now the Opera House - IMO this was a 100 times uglier than the building being retained !

It would be nice to see this kind of thought process employed during the rejuvenation plans for the site.

would be nice alright, but money talks and the council dont have anywhere near the cash to make that happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

robtri wrote: »
    would be nice alright, but money talks and the council dont have anywhere near the cash to make that happen

What about a public/private partnership is that an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

danjo-xx wrote: »
    What about a public/private partnership is that an option.

definitely be worth exploring.... i would have loved to see something done witht he main building, it could be amazing as it is so big and imposing

Not much happening down there today, still clearing the remaining rubble from the building that they took down last week. Here's a pic of the building where they have started to open a few of the windows and doors, I was hoping that this would be the next one to go, but there still seems to me a lot of old machinery inside of this building so I'm not sure that that's ready to be tore down just yet.

F4C037FC-DFFB-437F-89D6-6AFC506965A1_zpsiyqvrs0n.jpg

Today's update, this looks like it might actually come down fairly quickly, with a bit of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Today's update, this looks like it might actually come down fairly quickly, with a bit of luck.

Looks like that machine sprung a leak!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Aquos76 wrote: »

Good vid aquous ...I reckon they will be at this all year.

Some good progress today, but surely they could have taken out the old machinery and sold it off to some museum or something

8FBCFC78-0474-4006-959A-741F8A037072_zpsxkeveuu3.jpg

A34C70D8-C05C-4CCB-A664-72DA7BBBB3AA_zpsnvixentn.jpg

4C35F679-1617-49F3-9675-0D6718B97B75_zpskvpaunrh.jpg

EB267B36-7F4C-45F6-B12E-ADF78D42D449_zpsdaosrup8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭funrunner95

Thanks to everyone for posting photos, particularly to Aquos76, great to see so much progress after a decade of inaction

I would hazard a guess they didn't sell on or get rid of the machines first because of the potential cost involved in getting them out. Those machine probably weigh a huge amount. It is a shame they will end up on the scrapheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Great vids and pics! All I need to know now is where do I apply for a go on the wrecking machine and how much would I have to pay.

Advertisement