Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North Quays

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    I'm sure you have some good points but was railway sq not more retail?

As for apartment living, I agree to an extend but if they are big enough they work. Nobody will likely live in one forever but if your young they are perfectly fine.

Office Space size is a big issue and there is no real big space in Waterford to attract companies who may create like 200 jobs etc which you see announced in Dublin every few weeks.

The real problem is lack of work from the IDA outside Cork/Galway/Dublin or the stroke politics which suddenly say hundreds of jobs going to Nenagh because Kelly was going to lose his seat. I don't for a second believe such a company would of set up there.

I don't want to be a Jonah, I am trying to be realistic. There is a massive office complex on the Cork Road behind the Motor Mile. More offices out by the Holy Cross and Carriganore and tons dotted around the City, let alone easy-to-develop sites such as the old Crystal factory. There is a world of a difference between jobs announcements, particularly around election time, and actual results.

I just cannot see any developer in the current environment taking a chance on some wandering FDI, nor any bank backing it. Short (medium / Long ?) term there should be some sort of a public amenity or park. Anything would better than the old eyesore anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,108 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I can't see why any developer would want to put in planning permission, given the chances of a random serial objector putting his spoke in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

looksee wrote: »
    I can't see why any developer would want to put in planning permission, given the chances of a random serial objector putting his spoke in.

A strategic development zone is defined as a site or sites for which a planning scheme has been made and is in force. The local authority will be the driver of the planning application so developers will have no involvement at that stage. It's effectively a fast track planning application and approval process to enable works to commence. Developers, if interested, will need to abide by the approved planning application.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

Deise Vu wrote: »
    I don't want to be a Jonah, I am trying to be realistic. There is a massive office complex on the Cork Road behind the Motor Mile. More offices out by the Holy Cross and Carriganore and tons dotted around the City, let alone easy-to-develop sites such as the old Crystal factory. There is a world of a difference between jobs announcements, particularly around election time, and actual results.

I just cannot see any developer in the current environment taking a chance on some wandering FDI, nor any bank backing it. Short (medium / Long ?) term there should be some sort of a public amenity or park. Anything would better than the old eyesore anyway.

We don’t have offices of the type being proposed to be built on the North Wharf. The existing offices you mentioned consist of small to medium size units. The North Wharf would be large blocks that would be used to attract large multinationals to set up their European offices here instead of Dublin. The logic being that Dublin cannot meet demand at present, and is expensive, so we could attract someone here instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭dzilla

Deise Vu wrote: »

Very little suitable modern office in the city centre outside of Maritana Gate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

dzilla wrote: »
    Very little suitable modern office in the city centre outside of Maritana Gate

plenty of modern or easily converted to modern office space... Maritana gate not that special IMHO..

big problem with the available office space is parking and size, biggest is 20,000 sq ft at the moment out there ..... most compnaies wnat to be able to offer there employees parking, as this is a huge issue for prospective employees.. Railway square has none, Behind motor mall has crap spaces, car parking on offer is scattered all over the place and really unsuitable, also its with NAMA.... and no one wants to deal with them if they can...
    Holy Cross front building is full.... not sure on the other building in the back...

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭cookie.monster

robtri wrote: »
    plenty of modern or easily converted to modern office space... Maritana gate not that special IMHO..

big problem with the available office space is parking and size, biggest is 20,000 sq ft at the moment out there ..... most compnaies wnat to be able to offer there employees parking, as this is a huge issue for prospective employees.. Railway square has none, Behind motor mall has crap spaces, car parking on offer is scattered all over the place and really unsuitable, also its with NAMA.... and no one wants to deal with them if they can...
    Holy Cross front building is full.... not sure on the other building in the back...
    it has a car park underneath

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

it has a car park underneath

well last year looking at it, was told by agent only a couple of spots (literally a couple) available with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

well last year looking at it, was told by agent only a couple of spots (literally a couple) available with it.

Well you also said Maritana gate was nothing special and I know of two companies in there who are very happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

O Riain wrote: »
    Well you also said Maritana gate was nothing special and I know of two companies in there who are very happy with it.

At end of day, who is gonna build big office complexes? If you build them, who will go into them? Yes ideally, if they are built we could gain from Dublin spill over but who's gonna take that chance that the IDA would push us as an alternative.ideally if they built offices there that would be ideal, I'm not sure they have done thatbefore.

• Advertisement

Holy Cross front building is full.... not sure on the other building in the back..

There is plenty of parking in the city centre, there is not too many office complexes in Dublin with their own significant parking facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭bullpost

Is there not an opportunity though to do something really special , at least from a residential pov?
    There would be some really fantastic views for apartment owners there?

Would obviously need to be mixed development to make it viable.

Not sure the demand exists in Waterford though?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Car Parking shouldn't matter for city centre developments. Google only have 80 car parking spaces in their Dublin offices on Barrow Street which house over 5000 people now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,838 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

AdMMM wrote:
    Car Parking shouldn't matter for city centre developments. Google only have 80 car parking spaces in their Dublin offices on Barrow Street which house over 5000 people now.

Dublin has far better public transport than Waterford though. I think I'd rather see some public amenities built on the north quay

Well I think any large-scale development would have to be built with public transport in mind or a private solution provided. In many industrial estates and office parks in Dublin, private shuttle buses are run to accommodate workers while Dublin Bus run buses through certain office parks around rush hour as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,276 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Dublin has far better public transport than

It really doesn't relative to it's size. In Dublin you're talking over an hour from the edge to the Centre. Waterford buses hardly take 20 mins to get from the edge to the centre.

AdMMM wrote: »
    Well I think any large-scale development would have to be built with public transport in mind or a private solution provided. In many industrial estates and office parks in Dublin, private shuttle buses are run to accommodate workers while Dublin Bus run buses through certain office parks around rush hour as well.

The north quays are beside the train station, across from the bus station and in the city centre, pubic transport is not a an issue IMO, themore you think about it, its just a deadly spot for a small IFSC /type place, the lack of political weight and funds is the main issues.in general we don't have public transport problems in city centre a lot of the buses are running half empty a lot of the time, until we start using it, more buses/routes are not gonna happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭dzilla

i am talking about city centre not the motor mile or the Butlerstown technology park.

Companies want offices that they can move into now, they don't want to be pr1cking around getting places converted etc. Thats what there is a lack of in town. The old bank bar and the stand bar might be turned into offices I believe

Max Powers wrote: »
    The north quays are beside the train station, across from the bus station and in the city centre, pubic transport is not a an issue IMO, themore you think about it, its just a deadly spot for a small IFSC /type place, the lack of political weight and funds is the main issues.in general we don't have public transport problems in city centre a lot of the buses are running half empty a lot of the time, until we start using it, more buses/routes are not gonna happen.
    What good is it being beside a train station that doesn't enable you to be in Waterford until 9:40am in the morning? And you don't think that's a problem?

Yes, it might be right across from the bus station but that's then still a 12 minute walk across the bridge which wouldn't be the most fun thing on rainy mornings, especially given how exposed that bridge is.

My whole point was around needing to arrange something convenient for workers i.e. having some buses service that area around rush hour. An example would be the 75 bus route in Dublin that takes a five minute diversion through the Sandyford Office Park before 9am and after 5pm which drops and picks up at various stops around the park before carrying on its normal route.

You say we don't have public transport issues but would you not concede that the Kenneally's Bus service on the Dunmore Road for a start is completely undependable? Buses may be half empty but do you not stop and think that this might just be because they're unreliable?

AdMMM wrote: »
    What good is it being beside a train station that doesn't enable you to be in Waterford until 9:40am in the morning? And you don't think that's a problem?

Yes, it might be right across from the bus station but that's then still a 12 minute walk across the bridge which wouldn't be the most fun thing on rainy mornings, especially given how exposed that bridge is.

My whole point was around needing to arrange something convenient for workers i.e. having some buses service that area around rush hour. An example would be the 75 bus route in Dublin that takes a five minute diversion through the Sandyford Office Park before 9am and after 5pm which drops and picks up at various stops around the park before carrying on its normal route.

You say we don't have public transport issues but would you not concede that the Kenneally's Bus service on the Dunmore Road for a start is completely undependable? Buses may be half empty but do you not stop and think that this might just be because they're unreliable?

Agree the times are mad, going the other way too, demand ain't there though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,838 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

cgcsb wrote: »
    It really doesn't relative to it's size. In Dublin you're talking over an hour from the edge to the Centre. Waterford buses hardly take 20 mins to get from the edge to the centre.

its all very relative alright. i do think dublin is very well serviced but in saying that, im sure theres public transport black spots there to. our public buses are very well under used, and we will lose them if this doesnt change but you can kinna understand why they are. we ve all become too use to our cars, including myself. i use to use the city service a good bit before i got the car. havent set foot on a city bus in a long time. its a pity as its a very important service for us all, particularly those that need it on a regular basis. i wouldnt like to see it disappear.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Old Power Seeds and Bestocks Building are now gone and a large longreach demolition excavator arrived on site last night/this morning and is in the process of being built up , hopefully not long before it starts nibbling away on one of the larger structures.

Even with only two of the smallest buildings gone there's already a great view of the city opening up from Ferrybank which is only going to improve as the job progresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

After what seems like a long time since any considerable movement on site , two large long reach excavators have now commenced demolishing the smallest of the larger structures.

News and Star Posted a Video on their Facebook ( Sorry cant seem to link correctly today )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Be great when they are down. They seem to be making good progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭funrunner95

Great to hear they are finally being demolished, if anyone can post pictures of progress for those who aren't in waterford any more that would be great! Also is the flour mills building that was listed still going to escape demolition or has the protection been removed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭JohnC.

This is from Friday
    C9xRDre.jpg

Streetview image for comparison. You can see some sheds (where the demolition crane is now) are gone and some work started on the end of the big building.
    8UFJKyb.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

JohnC. wrote: »
    This is from Friday
    C9xRDre.jpg

Streetview image for comparison. You can see some sheds (where the demolition crane is now) are gone and some work started on the end of the big building.
    8UFJKyb.jpg

Great stuff man, when was the new photo taken?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

JohnC. wrote: »
    Friday.

Good photos there. I presume the glacial progress versus the speed at which the fire station was demolished is due to asbestos issues.

I am surprised they didn't attack the silos sooner though. There would be some instant return on the scrap and it would have been a quick 'win' so to speak.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Here's a video from a few mins ago from the Ferrybank side

Advertisement