Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Yaris hybrid, anyone?

• 30-04-2016 9:18pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Any owners here? :) I'm thinking of getting one. Any pros and cons you find from having one?

Comments

Don't know much about them but it would be leaps and bounds better than driving any diesel.

You'd have to test drive one and it takes time to get used to the hybrid system and how to get the best out of it.

You could probably get a 2014 2nd hand Leaf with 6.6 Kw charger for this money if range wasn't an issue the full EV drive is leaps and bounds better again. The 30 Kwh Leaf new is a bit expensive but you'd be surprised how much it would cost on PCP if you do little mileage, then again if you do little mileage a 2nd hand 24 Kwh battery leaf would probably suit just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Far as i know, Alanstrainer, the motoring mod has one in the family.

I think they're a great little car as an alternative to an automatic Yaris. Not sure about real life mpg or anything. They crapped out a bit on the spec as time went on, base ones have wheel trims etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Colmcav

My mother bought one lately. Great city car, auto and very manoeuvrable. More spacious than it looks. Averaging 4.8l per 100km in mostly city driving, over the first 1000km. At the moment, €38 to fill it and will do 600km on that. Smooth and relaxed. Once warmed up the engine tends to stay off a lot of the time around town. Not amazing on motorway and economy seriously suffers at continuous high speed, but well able all the same; just not its' comfort zone. Peppy enough to drive when you ask it, but lulls you into a more relaxed style of driving it. Could therefore seem underpowered unless you consciously put the foot down. She got luxury spec and well worth it. Plenty of gizmos and well trimmed for a small car. Overall recommended as an easy small car, just not much personality to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭12Phase

Considering they're basically a cut down version of the Prius system which has proven itself to be an extremely reliable drive train, they're probably pretty good.

Toyota has really done a very good job of proving hybrid technology and is very mainstream.

Whatever the Prius looses on the motorway (over 120 kph) it gains back in town and city driving and then some.

What a diesel gains on the motorway it looses in the town city.

What you get per tank is what matters.

• Advertisement

Whatever the Prius looses on the motorway (over 120 kph) it gains back in town and city driving and then some.

What a diesel gains on the motorway it looses in the town city.

What you get per tank is what matters.

There's a massive difference in power output between the Prius and Yaris hybrid on the motorway. The modern Prius has a 1.8L

Prius is claiming 70g/km
    NOx 16mg/km
    94mpg petrol

Cleanest Diesel is a supermini (i.e. much smaller)
    Peugeot 208 1.6 BlueHDi -
    79g CO2/km
    34mg NOx
    94mpg diesel.

Hybrid gives you a significantly cleaner, easier to maintain engine without the need for complex particular filters and so on. It's quieter running, bigger care, less CO2, less NOx no need to handle gunky diesel pumps.

As a ICE compromise, they're very nice cars.

I'd be interested in seeing how the new Plug-in Prius models fare.

12Phase wrote: »
    There's a massive difference in power output between the Prius and Yaris hybrid on the motorway. The modern Prius has a 1.8L

Prius is claiming 70g/km
    NOx 16mg/km
    94mpg petrol

Cleanest Diesel is a supermini (i.e. much smaller)
    Peugeot 208 1.6 BlueHDi -
    79g CO2/km
    34mg NOx
    94mpg diesel.

Hybrid gives you a significantly cleaner, easier to maintain engine without the need for complex particular filters and so on. It's quieter running, bigger care, less CO2, less NOx no need to handle gunky diesel pumps.

As a ICE compromise, they're very nice cars.

I'd be interested in seeing how the new Plug-in Prius models fare.

True I'm forgetting the new Prius is more powerful, still 100 hp isn't bad compared to the 1.4 or 1.0L petrol that would normally be in this car.

The plug in is a lot more expensive, not available in Ireland but it would be a good bit more than the 30 Kwh leaf. Toyota are taking the mick these days still charging what they do for Hybrids, the cost has never come down.

Wasn't the plug in prius launched here with some hype back in 2010?
    Gone off the market?

http://www.completecar.ie/car-news/article/414/Toyota-introduces-Prius-Plug-In-Hybrid-to-Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭ei9go

Local dealer told us recently that their Yaris Hybrid is doing 5.5L per 100k on mostly urban driving and that their new Prius is doing 4.6L / 100km

Bear in mind that diesel is about 20% cheaper than petrol when doing the maths.

Can't all be about the cost, fuel economy etc, buy the car you like and that I know is reliable. I'd rather have a car that consumed a bit more fuel that I liked.

I'd take what dealers say with a pinch of salt.

If I want to have saved money I would have keep the Prius and not bought the Leaf. But the fuel is mega cheap !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

ei9go wrote: »
    Local dealer told us recently that their Yaris Hybrid is doing 5.5L per 100k on mostly urban driving and that their new Prius is doing 4.6L / 100km

Bear in mind that diesel is about 20% cheaper than petrol when doing the maths.

I've done 3000 km in my Auris Hybrid Touring and I'm averaging 5.3l/100km. It does ~5.9 on the motorway. Except the M50 at rush hour - I've seen sub 4l/100, even with the wife driving. I'd be surprised if you couldn't do better around town in a Yaris Hybrid. Much nicer to drive than my old 2.0 D4D too, once you get used to the CVT box.

Having said all that, I'd probably recommend diesel over hybrid for someone doing mainly motorway driving. The numbers just don't stack up for hybrid if you're always cruising at 120km/h.

stimpson wrote: »
    Having said all that, I'd probably recommend diesel over hybrid for someone doing mainly motorway driving. The numbers just don't stack up for hybrid if you're always cruising at 120km/h.

On the contrary, Most of my prius miles were motorway, but the trips in town, short trips and the driving off the motorway helped me achieve 4.6-4.8 L/100 kms and 4.3 if I bothered.

What you loose on the motorway you gain in town in the Hybrid.

You're not "always crusing at 120 Kph" sometimes people forget the amount of time they sit in traffic or spend off the motorway.

A 2nd hand Leaf is also a great car if the range isn't an issue, I drive 135 Kms daily for work, yes I have work charging but used the fast charger for 10 mins on the way home. Not for everyone but is a great car.

On the contrary, Most of my prius miles were motorway, but the trips in town, short trips and the driving off the motorway helped me achieve 4.6-4.8 L/100 kms and 4.3 if I bothered.

What you loose on the motorway you gain in town in the Hybrid.

You're not "always crusing at 120 Kph" sometimes people forget the amount of time they sit in traffic or spend off the motorway.

A 2nd hand Leaf is also a great car if the range isn't an issue, I drive 135 Kms daily for work, yes I have work charging but used the fast charger for 10 mins on the way home. Not for everyone but is a great car.

Obviously if you're commuting at rush hour you're not going to hit 120 and as I said, rush hour M50 gives me sub 4l/100. But I said "if" you cruise at 120 you're not going to see that kind of economy. Most of the time if I'm going to Belfast or Cork I would sit st 120 for the majority of the journey and would get ~6l/100. A 1.6 TDI would get less and diesel is cheaper. Horses for courses.

Looking st fuelly.com, mk3 Prius averages 54mpg which is 5.23l/100 - bang on my average so far.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Thanks for the posts and responses. It's not practical for me to own a fully electric car such as a Leaf, though the nerd side of me would find it interesting.

I've some more thinking to do.

Cost wise , a 2nd hand, 2014 would probably be as cheap as a new yaris hybrid, if the range is an issue then this is a different matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

12Phase wrote: »
    Wasn't the plug in prius launched here with some hype back in 2010?
    Gone off the market?
    The Prius Plug-in was launched in 2012 in some markets, but not Ireland. I just bought a used 2012 from NI and I'm pretty happy with it so far. The next generation Plug-in (should be launched at the end of the year) has twice the battery capacity and they claim 35km range in EV mode (I'm getting about 14km in mine, in hilly Cork).
    ei9go wrote: »
    Local dealer told us recently that their Yaris Hybrid is doing 5.5L per 100k on mostly urban driving and that their new Prius is doing 4.6L / 100km.

http://www.fuelly.com/car/toyota/yaris?engineconfig_id=&bodytype_id=&submodel_id=62

Average of about 54 MPG (5.2 l/100km) based on 48 owners. The trip computers are not particularly accurate so you're best off calculating it based on actual fuel used (my Prius claimed I got 4 MPG better than reality).
    Thanks for the posts and responses. It's not practical for me to own a fully electric car such as a Leaf, though the nerd side of me would find it interesting.
    I got a Prius for the same reasons. It certainly makes you think a lot more about how you drive, especially with all the feedback you get from the car (the Hybrid System Indicator is probably the most useful).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I was in the back of a 2012 Prius taxi on Saturday. Had I been the front seat passenger I'd have asked the driver about his experience with it. I didn't particularly like the dash display - less so the information, just the design of it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

My mother has a 131 Yaris hybrid bought new, with nice spec. Pearl white metallic paint, reversing camera, bluetooth, ac, alloys etc etc. It's a really pleasant car to drive, the CVT box takes some getting used to but it just works. Don't be expecting a performance car is all I'll say! The seats are nice and comfy, they seem almost sporty. As for mpg I just don't have the figures to hand, but as a city car it is really remarkable. The ould fella loves to remind me how good on petrol it is, especially when compared to my 2.5 litre!

As for motorway driving its just not really meant for it. It'll be able for it, but if you're expecting it to be a motorway cruiser every day then you should look elsewhere! To me it simply felt like any city c'ass car would feel on the motorway.

My folks are certainly happy with theirs, so much so they'll be receiving their 162 Yaris hybrid in the next week or so!

If there's any more specific questions you have then feel free to ask, I can pop my dad a few questions too if need be.

Thanks, Alanstrainor, for your 2 cents. Good to hear your folks have had a positive experience.

I'm probably over thinking it a little bit. If I were to commute it'd about 60 km daily, mostly on the M1 and M50. That might come down when I move from where I am now. At the moment, I use the bus as I don't have a car. I did see a few first generation Yarises (sp?!) on the M1 this morning. I think something of that era would be a definite no, but the newer generation possibly more passable for commutes that aren't terribly long. I'm not lugging around equipment, other people (much) or children, so the load on the car wouldn't be such to automatically consider a different class of vehicle, at least not at this stage of my life.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Thanks, Alanstrainor, for your 2 cents. Good to hear your folks have had a positive experience.

I'm probably over thinking it a little bit. If I were to commute it'd about 60 km daily, mostly on the M1 and M50. That might come down when I move from where I am now. At the moment, I use the bus as I don't have a car. I did see a few first generation Yarises (sp?!) on the M1 this morning. I think something of that era would be a definite no, but the newer generation possibly more passable for commutes that aren't terribly long. I'm not lugging around equipment, other people (much) or children, so the load on the car wouldn't be such to automatically consider a different class of vehicle, at least not at this stage of my life.

I'd say it would do well enough in your scenario, so would a prius mind... but if your budget only leaves you with enough for the Yaris I think it would be a decent option. I would guess a lot of that driving is in traffic? Making it make more sense as stop start is the ideal usage for a hybrid.

Small, very economical automatic that looks and drives well. Can't go too far wrong really!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

Bought one at the start of the year in the UK for the inlaws.

T-spirit model, so she has all the bells and whistles.
    Bought in London and drove her back to Cork. Set the cruise control and followed all the speed limits home. By the time I pulled up at their place, the computer said I'd averaged 52.8mpg for the 525 miles.
    Not bad for a little city car on the open road. She was grand and solid too.

Edit: VRT was only about €500 too. So with the exchange rate the way it is, there's value to be had heading across the water.

Edit again: Just found the VRT receipt. Twas only €280, plus €23.81 for missing the first appointment! €303.81 total.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭oinkely

what year was that soarer?

Just looked at VRT on a 13 model and it was €938

It was October 2012.

Bought in December last year, registered early this.

Checked earlier on the calculator, and it seems to be up a few hundred alright. Maybe they've increased the OMSP?

I was looking at this T-Spirit earlier.
    She's a little beauty.
    In The Wirral, so fly into Liverpool, they collect you from the airport, and it's only 60 odd miles to Holyhead for the ferry.
    Definitely would be bought for £7,000, maybe less.
    £7k on XE.Com at the minute is €8470. Round that up to €8600 for banks, etc.
    Give yourself €500 for a flight and ferry.
    So €9100 to get the car home.
    VRT is depending on what month she was registered!
    She's a 13 plate, so it's between March and August....
    March - €809
    April - €801
    May - €794
    June - €786
    July - €599
    August - €594

Strangely, the newer the car, the less VRT is to be paid. You'd pay €786 to register her as a 131 for June, but only €599 to register her as a 132 for July! Mental.

Take the worst case VRT figure above of €809, add that to the worst case of €9100 earlier. Throw on a year's tax @ €180.
    So for the worst case price of €10,089, you'd have a gem of a car that'll probably outlast yourself!

If I was in the market for one, it'd be that exact car I'd go for.

Thanks all. How is it re servicing costs, fairly typical? I'm not sure if the likes of the 'safety pack', feature such as lane departure warning are worth adding on.

Prius would take up too much of my bank account, really. Could go for a second one, I guess, but don't really want something of that size at present. There's a few 2012 ones at around 19k or thereabouts.

Not seeing a working link, Soarer.

Fixed the link.

Can't tell you about servicing as they've not serviced it yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

Soarer wrote: »
    Strangely, the newer the car, the less VRT is to be paid. You'd pay €786 to register her as a 131 for June, but only €599 to register her as a 132 for July! Mental.
    Reason is mileage, 2 year old car is ok with 30k, but one year old one is high mileage vehicle with 30k

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭konline

We have a 152 Yaris Hybrid. So far so good, we drive mainly in and around city, our mileage is 4.4-5.2 L / 100 km. I set ECO mode most of the times. As OPs said you can't expect it to perform like Prius or other big cars in Motorways. Good luck.

Spotted this. https://www.carwow.co.uk/blog/hybrid-driving-tips-0144

Getting quotes for about €19,800 with metallic and the safety pack.

Toyota do fixed price services. €160 for a hybrid which includes a battery check that extends your hybrid system warranty by a year (up to 10 years I think). Brake fluid change recommended every 2 years @ €50

https://www.toyota.ie/current-offers/toyota-value-service.json

Edit: and I meant to say, if anyone is buying I'd recommend to wait until the end of the month and drive a hard bargain. When I bought my Auris hybrid at the end of Feb I got 3 quotes and then rang the 2 most expensive. I told them my best quote and asked them for their best price, promising a deposit over the phone if they were cheapest. I saved nearly a grand.

• Advertisement

How are you finding the Auris?

Advertisement