Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Yaris hybrid, anyone?

13»

Comments

TBi wrote: »

Although, I don't understand how people equate apple and android :P

I recently changed to iOS from years of Android, have to say I prefer iOS a "lot" more.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,509 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

If you don't have a USB connection, can you get iPod album artwork (using Bluetooth) to show up on the radio screen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

If you don't have a USB connection, can you get iPod album artwork (using Bluetooth) to show up on the radio screen?

I don't think it's supported over Bluetooth. Bluetooth sound quality is awful too. Does the Yaris not have USB?

I stream bluetooth audio to the Leaf, I certainly wouldn't call it awful, you'll struggle to hear the difference via car speakers anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

stimpson wrote: »
    I don't think it's supported over Bluetooth. Bluetooth sound quality is awful too. Does the Yaris not have USB?

I have cheap BT headphones and cannot fault them. With a modern codec the quality degradation over BT for already encoded material is negligible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I use BT for playing music from my phone with my Prius and it sounds fine to me, and I'm usually very sensitive to lossy audio encoding artefacts. Never got album art to work either (from Android phone) - I believe the protocols should be able to support it but don't know if the cars do.

I stream bluetooth audio to the Leaf, I certainly wouldn't call it awful, you'll struggle to hear the difference via car speakers anyway.

Depends on what you listen to. If you listen to low quality MP3 or streaming audio then it's not going to make a difference. If you use high bitrate mp3 or lossless (FLAC or Apple lossless) then you can certainly notice the difference. Bluetooth just sounds flat to my ears. I'm sure I could do a double blind test and pick them apart.

stimpson wrote: »
    Depends on what you listen to. If you listen to low quality MP3 or streaming audio then it's not going to make a difference. If you use high bitrate mp3 or lossless (FLAC or Apple lossless) then you can certainly notice the difference. Bluetooth just sounds flat to my ears. I'm sure I could do a double blind test and pick them apart.

We're getting off topic here - but there's a comprehensive review of aptX, SBC in comparison to mp3 320kbps...

http://www.sereneaudio.com/blog/how-good-is-bluetooth-audio-at-its-best

grogi wrote: »
    We're getting off topic here - but there's a comprehensive review of aptX, SBC in comparison to mp3 320kbps...

http://www.sereneaudio.com/blog/how-good-is-bluetooth-audio-at-its-best

Ha - I've just been listening to that. Sitting in a quiet office listening to the Pink Floyd sample on a 2.1 speaker system I can definitely tell them apart. the 320KHz MP3 was surprising bad compared to the other codecs.

My concern is that when a lossy codec is transcoded to another lossy codec then you'll lose even more of the dynamic range. It's a pity that they didn't test AAC for comparison (I'm assuming that is what's used in an iPhone -> Toyota Touch 2 as they both support AAC).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,509 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I listen to podcasts via my iPod Touch and Bluetooth, am a podcast addict. I don't know what the most common codec used in podcast feeds is, mostly listen to BBC, NPR and a few others. I tend not to increase the volume to the max on the iPod itself and use the car's to bump up the sound if needed. Quality seems fine, but obviously it can be harder to hear the spoken word if you pick up speed in the car. Take the points about codecs, though.

The only negative points I can think of about the car so far - road surface noise at higher speeds. Unavoidable since we're not talking about a high end vehicle. Second negative is the front pillar isn't great for vision at junctions, etc. Minor inconvenience.

Had another question about servicing, need to RTFM first.

• Advertisement

Regarding road noise, I know some Prius owners have applied some sort of sound proofing treatment to the wheel arches and doors. I can't remember specifics but you should be able to find more info on priuschat.com

Road noise is also highly dependent on tyres as well.

I changed the Bridgestones that came with my Verso to Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance and it sounded like a different car. Much much quieter. Plus they are great in the wet and not stupidly expensive.

Regarding road noise, I know some Prius owners have applied some sort of sound proofing treatment to the wheel arches and doors. I can't remember specifics but you should be able to find more info on priuschat.com

Road noise is also highly dependent on tyres as well.

Blame your Co.Council for road noise, we mostly use ultra high friction road surfaces in Ireland, some of the motorways use a quieter higher quality surface but still poor quality. And it will also increase fuel consumption.

The New Ultra low noise surface on the Newlands cross fly over is the type of surface used mainly in Germany, at least most of the road surfaces in Baden Wutterberg I've been on and other parts.

As soon as you come off that new asphalt the road noise goes up dramatically. The surface was used to keep road noise down due to the height.

Continental tyres here.

I see http://www.yarisclubuk.com/forum/ seems to be banjaxed now, not sure what happened.

Morning condensation clears up pretty well, though we're having a pretty mild winter, tbh.

Quick question about beam lights. I noticed in my father's Nissan Pulsar that the beam lights have quite a strong range ahead and also on the width of the road. I'm not sure if it's because it's a newer car (151), or a bigger class of vehicle. I don't know if my Yaris can replicate that, either through tweaking settings, or perhaps I'm expecting too much. Anyone?

Do you mean dipped or full beams? They can vary greatly between different designs, and nowadays there are also HID or LED lights on many newer cars (instead of halogen) although this is normally just for the dipped beams.

Full beams. The Nissan could have LEDs alright, really stood out on some back roads in Meath.

I have lights in the footwell, he doesn't. :P

12 months on since I picked up the car in the UK. About 9,600 miles done (odo is miles, speedo is dual). Fuel costs over the 12 month period ~€980.

All going well. I did of course ding the rear bumper almost immediately after getting it. Had to christen it. :rolleyes: :p A few weeks ago I had to replace two tyres after hitting a lump of metal on the M1. Again, money down the drain, but nothing I could really do to avoid it. On a positive note, my car insurance came down by about €100.

There is sometimes a noise in the interior, I can't pinpoint it, but it sounds like it's under the upholstery in the roof. My thinking is that it's the dashcam cable rubbing off something. It's not a mechanical sound and has largely gone away anyway. It was a buzzing sound and only happened at certain speeds. I'm not worried.

If I'm reading the book correctly, I should look at an intermediate service now (10k) and after the next 10k, a 'full' one (every 20k)? Intermediate seems to be mostly oil, a filter and a few other things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

If I'm reading the book correctly, I should look at an intermediate service now (10k) and after the next 10k, a 'full' one (every 20k)? Intermediate seems to be mostly oil, a filter and a few other things.

Best to do your servicing with a toyota dealer to continue extending the hybrid battery warranty (they keep changing the t&cs). Also they will be in a position to do any recalls needed for your car, etc. Toyota have fixed price servicing so if you call them up they will tell you exactly what it is... probably about 140-160 for an A service.

Toyota Ireland specify a 9k miles interval so the sticker they put on your window will say 9k on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭Soarer

12 months on since I picked up the car in the UK. About 9,600 miles done (odo is miles, speedo is dual). Fuel costs over the 12 month period ~€980.

All going well. I did of course ding the rear bumper almost immediately after getting it. Had to christen it. :rolleyes: :p A few weeks ago I had to replace two tyres after hitting a lump of metal on the M1. Again, money down the drain, but nothing I could really do to avoid it. On a positive note, my car insurance came down by about €100.

There is sometimes a noise in the interior, I can't pinpoint it, but it sounds like it's under the upholstery in the roof. My thinking is that it's the dashcam cable rubbing off something. It's not a mechanical sound and has largely gone away anyway. It was a buzzing sound and only happened at certain speeds. I'm not worried.

Fair play. The in-laws have never hit so many things since they got their one. Reversing camera and sensors, and still reversed into a parked car across the road! :rolleyes:

They're a mighty little car though, and I'd wholeheartedly recommend them to anyone that was looking for a little city runabout....after I recommended an EV though! ;)

• Advertisement

bp_me wrote: »
    Best to do your servicing with a toyota dealer to continue extending the hybrid battery warranty (they keep changing the t&cs). Also they will be in a position to do any recalls needed for your car, etc. Toyota have fixed price servicing so if you call them up they will tell you exactly what it is... probably about 140-160 for an A service.

Toyota Ireland specify a 9k miles interval so the sticker they put on your window will say 9k on it.

Thanks bp. My plan is to keep it under the Toyota roof, as it were. I put my reg in toyotaservice.ie which presented the following.
    15,000km or 1 Yr
    During the Intermediate Service our Experienced Toyota Technician replace the Engine Oil and Oil Filter of your vehicle and conduct a thorough Visual Health Check according to Toyota schedule. This will cover areas of the braking system, steering system, lighting and tyres whilst topping up the under-bonnets levels as necessary. Your vehicle will receive a Free Wash & Vac afterwards and a Free Vehicle Health Check report.
    €135.00

30,000km or 2Yrs
    During the Full Service our Experienced Toyota Technician replace the Engine Oil and Oil Filter and conduct a thorough Visual Health Check according to Toyota schedule. This will cover areas of the braking system, steering system, lighting and tyres whilst topping up the under-bonnet levels as necessary. The Brake Fluid is changed and the Cabin Filter is replaced with this service. Your vehicle will also receive a Free Wash & Vac afterwards and a Free Vehicle Health Check report.
    €215.00

45,000km or 3 Yrs
    During the Intermediate Service our Experienced Toyota Technician replace the Engine Oil and Oil Filter of your vehicle and conduct a thorough Visual Health Check according to Toyota schedule. This will cover areas of the braking system, steering system, lighting and tyres whilst topping up the under-bonnets levels as necessary. Your vehicle will receive a Free Wash & Vac afterwards and a Free Vehicle Health Check report.
    €180.00

60,000km or 3 Year old Service
    During the 60,000km Service our Experienced Toyota Technician replace the Engine Oil and Oil Filter, Cabin Filter, Air Filter and Fuel Filter of your vehicle and conduct a thorough Visual Health Check according to Toyota schedule. This will cover areas of the braking system, steering system, lighting and tyres whilst topping up the under-bonnets levels as necessary. Your vehicle will receive a Free Wash & Vac afterwards and a Free Vehicle Health Check report.
    €240.00

Value Hybrid Service
    During the Value Hybrid Service our Experienced Toyota Technician replace the Engine Oil and oil Filter of your vehicle and conduct a thorough Visual Health Check according to Toyota schedule. This will cover areas of the braking system, steering system, lighting and tyres whilst topping up the under-bonnets levels as necessary. Your vehicle will receive a Hybrid Health Check, Free Wash & Vac afterwards and a Free Vehicle Health Check report.
    €160.00

Full Hybrid Service
    During the Full Hybrid Service our Experienced Toyota Technician conduct a Visual Health Check according to Toyota schedule. The Engine Oil and Oil Filter are replaced and under-bonnet levels are topped up. The Brake Fluid is changed and the Cabin Filter is replaced with this service. Your vehicle will also receive a Hybrid Health Check, a Free Wash & Vac afterwards and a Free Vehicle Health Check report.
    €259.00

Hybrid Health Check
    An annual Hybrid Health Check is the best way to ensure you are getting the most from your Hybrid. Our technicians will test the whole Hybrid system and compile a written report that gives you all the information you need in order to understand the health of your Hybrid car. From new, all Hybrid components benefit from our five-year/100,000km* warranty. When your Hybrid passes its Hybrid Health Check, it will be eligible for a further one-year/15,000km* of Hybrid Battery Extended Care.
    €50.00

Front Wiper Blades
    Travel safe even when it rains. 90% of all driving decisions are based on a clear unobstructed view of the road, especially during wet weather when vision may be obscured by water, road splash, sleet or snow, ensure you have optimum visibility by including Wiper Replacement.
    €30.00

Cabin Filter
    Breathe pure air without getting out of your Toyota. Toyota cabin air filters play a vital role in keeping the air inside your vehicle clean, fresh and a pleasure to breathe all year round. Wherever you drive, the air outside can contain many irritants and pollutants including pollen, ozone, dust, exhaust fumes and other particles that are not only unpleasant but potentially harmful.
    €29.50

Brake Fluid Change
    Toyota recommends that brake fluid be changed every 2 years or 30,000km. Brake fluid is hygroscopic, which means it absorbs moisture from the atmosphere. Over time, this build-up of moisture affects the performance of your braking system and has a significant impact on braking distances.
    €49.50

Vehicle Health Check
    Your peace of mind is our priority, and our Vehicle Health Check ensures this. It's a Visual Multi point Check and report covering the key safety components on your vehicle. And our customers can avail of this check Free with any service. We check the Tyres, Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Lights, Exhaust, Battery, Fluid levels and Engine. Once completed your car will have been assessed into the following categories: Green, which means components are fine on the day. Amber, which means work is not immediately necessary but will require doing in the near future and before the next service. Red, which means corrective action, is required immediately.
    €Free

Value Hybrid Service, then?

It's a 2012 car, with 4 previous services completed in the UK.

If you don't have the detailed service history from the UK, you should be able to get it from https://www.toyota.co.uk/tme#/my-toyota/ if you register.

Thanks, wouldn't have thought about that. I had registered for the Irish version alright.

Without getting into the detail of all of the notes, its UK history is as follows.
    General work 11/1/2017
    HYBRID HEALTH CHECK FAILED 16/7/2016
    Full 40000 Miles/4 Years 16/7/2016
    COVER, RELAY BL 15/6/2016
    customer complaint that boot s 3/2/2016
    General work 21/1/2016
    Vehicle preparation 4/1/2016
    Yaris Hyb Pass 12/11/2015
    Re-Conditioning 5/10/2015
    Carry out MOT test 12/9/2015
    Full 20000 Miles/2 Years 19/8/2014
    11- Intermediate 10,000 Mls/1 10/9/2013
    Vehicle preparation 14/9/2012
    Internal PDI - ignition key no 8/9/2012

Nothing major, just some thoughts. I save my main moaning for my running log.

Last April (I think) is when I had two tyres replaced due to hitting an object on the M1 - independently at Blakes Cross. Car was dipping to one side when I parked up there. Anyway, at the time of service (Aug/Sept 2017), Toyota seemed to have a different view about which ones needed replacing, suggesting the ones I had only gotten changed a few months earlier were low on thread depth. :confused: I'll have to recheck the paperwork on this as I think Toyota were recommending Feb 2018 for looking at the tyres again. Elsewhere on the tyre front, double puncture at one stage last year too - albeit still driveable. Only thought there was one due to a big nail, but Blakes Cross picked up two.

Also at the aforementioned Toyota service, it was pointed out that the glass for the indicator on the driver's mirror is cracked. I was quoted over 100 for this, iirc. Decided to leave it at the time since the indicator itself still works. Dunno if the NCT would pick up on the cracked glass?

Just before Christmas I noticed a noise coming from underneath. It was fairly vague, not constant and hard to say where it was coming from. A bit like someone dropped the hook of a coat hanger and it was rattling around. Then a more exhaust type sound started to develop later. Trek to and from Donegal for a funeral, then home to get it checked out. Up on the ramp, heat shield fixed - grand (exhaust - 'perfect') and 'those cars don't give trouble', says yer man. No complaints since.

Had an issue at the weekend, not with the car itself, but was called over to jump a family member's. Opened the bonnet on mine - unsure about the location of the battery. A bit stuck for time, so had to abandon that plan and give a lift instead. Got home, had a look at the manual and the battery's under the rear seat. Another family member 'heard' it's unwise to use a hybrid to jump start. I'm guessing this is bunkum - both jumping and being the recipient of a jump?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭Soarer

I seem to remember there being a positive terminal under the bonnet of the Prius for jumping the car, and earth it to the body. So you don't have to go looking for the battery.
    Might be similar in the Yaris?

Another family member 'heard' it's unwise to use a hybrid to jump start. I'm guessing this is bunkum - both jumping and being the recipient of a jump?

You can jumpstart a Toyota hybrid (using the terminals as specified in the manual) but not the other way round. The 12V system is not designed for high currents required to start an ICE (your car uses the traction battery to do this), and you run the risk of blowing fuses or worse.

• Advertisement

Another 12 months, another 10,000 miles. Another service due, then NCT in Sept.

Odds and ends - replaced both head light bulbs during the winter - about 6 weeks apart, both wiper blades and a tyre. The mirror indicator plastic thing I mentioned above, quote for that was actually €71. I did it myself and got one from ebay for €21, incl. postage.

Read this forum a lot (plus Youtube stuff) and am very interested in a EV, probably an imported Leaf. Doesn't really suit my commute (100km round trip - borderline in a 24kwh?) or salary at the moment, though. Can't charge at work. Plus the headache of having to sell the Yaris privately to recoup a few €. Maybe a project for next summer.

You can jumpstart a Toyota hybrid (using the terminals as specified in the manual) but not the other way round. The 12V system is not designed for high currents required to start an ICE (your car uses the traction battery to do this), and you run the risk of blowing fuses or worse.

There is no fuse between the terminals and the 12V battery though. It is a very small battery though and will have problem starting an ICE on its own.

I was assuming if the car was running - surely there's something to protect the 12V DC-DC convertor from being overloaded?

I was assuming if the car was running - surely there's something to protect the 12V DC-DC convertor from being overloaded?

Why would you jump start with the car running?! 8-) That's asking to trouble even when jump-starting from an ICE...

I've never heard of jump starting without having the "donor" car running (outside of hybrids/EVs). Do you want two flat batteries?

• Advertisement

I've never heard of jump starting without having the "donor" car running (outside of hybrids/EVs). Do you want two flat batteries?

If you are really concerned about the flat battery, let the engine and the alternator work a while to recharge the flat battery. At that stage there will hardly be any charge going from the charged to the flat battery. Switch the engine off and start up the second one.

If you are starting the second engine while the first is running, the sudden jump in power requirement will push an enormous strain on the the working alternator.

Only thing that came up at the service was the air filter. Brake pads might doing next year.

Passed the NCT without any bother.

NCT postponed by a few months with the pandemic. Failed it this time due to a coil spring and brakes stuff. Will be the guts of €500 to put it right. At this stage, I've had the car long than it was owned in the UK. Barely put 1,100km on it since it was serviced last July.

Time for one of my irregular updates. Got the repairs mentioned above done in March 2021, passed the NCT retest. Intermediate service in July 2021. Full service this week, which picked up a few problems, potentially €1,800-2,000 repairs (not an official quote) mostly shocks, rust, brakes, pipes. NCT is due in January. Not point in waiting to see if it'll fail as it's so likely. I still like the car and my initial gut feeling is to repair and keep driving it for a number of more years. Dealership mentioned repair or change, but wasn't pushy about either.

She's 10 years old* now, I have her 6 (this month). 63,700 miles on the clock (UK import), did about 2,500 since the last service. We're back in the office for work now, but on a rota once a week.

*Which apparently can be an insurance loading issue now, or so I've heard. My renewal this year only went up by about a fiver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭corks finest

I drive a hybrid and yes advised not to jump start

or be towed

Someone hit it recently and left no note. Not the only car that took a wallop and overall, the third time it's been hit by another party. Anyway. Failed the NCT recently - brake pipes. Have gotten the work done and retest booked. Brakes and pads were done in early May for €540. Both the body shop and mechanic seem adamant that rust is quite a common issue on UK imports. Were I to change, I like the Toyota Corolla touring sport - there's a thread about on here from a few months ago. On the other hand, the Yaris hasn't given me any mechanical issues in 7 years ownership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

i feel your pain. had a crash a few weeks go, just got the car back last week from the shop and today someone hit it again in the same place. No note so i'll have to pay for the fix myself.

That's very frustrating. Much damage?

For the past week or so, I've been refreshing Toyota's used section and narrowed it down to two. Yaris hybrid 2021 - Luna Sport €24,949 or the Platinum model, €26,949, The latter has leather seats and only 6,300kms on the clock. Haven't called in to see what I'd get for mine. There is one of its age (2012), not hybrid, but automatic for €9,950 in Toyota Limerick. I know I wouldn't get close to that for it.

Alternatively, I asked the body shop guy for a recommendation and he pointed me towards a Japanese import place, so I went to have a look. They've a mixture of Toyotas (and much more), including four 2019 Yaris automatics (not hybrids) all at €13,450. I had a look and the cabin radio area is a little basic, even compared to my older one. No buttons on the steering wheel or front fog lights. The guy at the import place took photos of mine and got a value of €6,500 for it from a third party. Their process is a deposit of €500, then they add an alarm, immobiliser, service it, add Android Auto, etc, and new tyres. Alternatively, I could look at going up to a Corolla or Prius. They've 7 Corollas - all 2017 estates from €13,950-14,850. Prius - mostly 2017 starting at €15,950 up to over €20k for 2018 models. They have three Camrys (actually only one, two others are due in) and part of me says feck it, go up in class and get one. 2017 x 2 at €23,950 or 2018 at €25,950. There's only one used one of a similar age (2018) on Toyota's site and it's €27,950. I was often looking back at the previous Corolla touring sport hybrid thread on here.

Body shop guy originally said get a 2019 Yaris, then use it as a stepping stone to a 2021. Happened to see a 2021 with a Hertz car sales sticker on it his morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

€27k for a 2Yr Yaris is mental money. Why not go full EV?

2020 E Golf's can be had for low 20s. Full leather and digital display are on a lot if them. A nice place to be. The only drawback is the range. Maybe 200km. It oozes quality.

• Advertisement

It is indeed.

No home charging.

Had a look again at the weekend. Didn't have much time to look around properly. The Honda Fit (Jazz?) hybrid - all 2017 - nicer dash and radio compared to the Yaris, need to see the boot as I couldn't open it. The Honda Vezel - beefier looking, some lovely interiors and fit and finish seems very good, but is Camry money, in that ballpark or more. All around 2016-2019. The Camry is still very, very tempting.

Ya Camry are a nice motor. Car tax is cheap €180, mpg not close to the claimed 50+mpg, high 30s.

The cruising range estimate yolk has stopped working on the Yaris, so it says 0 miles.

Put down a deposit on a 2018 Honda Vezel hybrid early last week.

Best of luck, nice looking car. Jap import? I never heard of them.

Yeah, it's the equivalent of a HR-V here. Friday was the first proper drive - to work, nice and smooth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭corks finest

Fits huge inside compared to Yaris

not as tinny

ahs equally as reliable

yaris will have a better resale value

Advertisement