Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dangerous Drivers. Would you report one if you seen one?

Options
  • 28-04-2016 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,742 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

Also is there still a number for reporting dangerous drivers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I was driving up the M1 earlier and there was hundreds of them in the wrong carriageway. In the end up I had to big sign on my windscreen

DRIVE ON THE RIGHT YOU STUPID BASTARDS!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Yes , I did and would do it again. Our local station has an easy to remember no. but I'd say 999 or 1890 205 805.for traffic watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

I would in future.

I was driving down the n4 with my other half and a guy and his missus were tailgating us. We had no (safe) way to pull into the other lane. Going at 110kmph or so .

So what did he do? Swerved into the left lane (nearly crashing into someone as he did).

My other half being so hacked off flipped the bird at him. Guy pulls straight into the lane in front of us, and proceeds to Jam on his breaks. The road was clear ahead of him, no reason for him to do so other than an attempt to get us to crash into him. Absolute psycho. Our young baby in the back seat too.

Only for good breaks and my guy having his wits about him we were dead meat!

I was so close to calling to report him but I got no registration and was just too shaken up to think straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭alma73

I did and the hassle afterwards with gards and reports and then GOING TO COURT..

The moral right thing to do is report, otherwise some idiot teenager is not only going to kill himself, but you aswell, however the system does not make it easy. If you report a case, you will have to testify in court, there is followup, interviews..etc. etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Fire missiles at them from my Aston Martin

I would in future.

I was driving down the n4 with my other half and a guy and his missus were tailgating us. We had no (safe) way to pull into the other lane. Going at 110kmph or so .

So what did he do? Swerved into the left lane (nearly crashing into someone as he did).

My other half being so hacked off flipped the bird at him. Guy pulls straight into the lane in front of us, and proceeds to Jam on his breaks. The road was clear ahead of him, no reason for him to do so other than an attempt to get us to crash into him. Absolute psycho. Our young baby in the back seat too.

Only for good breaks and my guy having his wits about him we were dead meat!

I was so close to calling to report him but I got no registration and was just too shaken up to think straight.

Erm, you were clearly in the wrong lane, holding up traffic?
    He undertook you & then the road ahead was clear?
    You should be driving in the left lane unless overtaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

As a pedestrian or cyclist I would ignore them and be angry about their behaviour but no I would do nothing.

alma73 wrote: »
    I did and the hassle afterwards with gards and reports and then GOING TO COURT..

The moral right thing to do is report, otherwise some idiot teenager is not only going to kill himself, but you aswell, however the system does not make it easy. If you report a case, you will have to testify in court, there is followup, interviews..etc. etc.

Who else is going to give evidence?
    You're the witness, no one else saw the dangerous driving.
    If you feel strongly enough, you will go to court

bubblypop wrote: »
    Erm, you were clearly in the wrong lane, holding up traffic?
    He undertook you & then the road ahead was clear?
    You should be driving in the left lane unless overtaking.

Were you there? Had to move into the overtaking lane and was waiting for a chance to get back into the middle lane when it all happened. Nothing more to it than that.

• Advertisement

Have taken down a couple of numbers...but by the time I've got home the anger has gone and I've thought what's the point...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

The problem is at least half the time it's the person reporting who was probably driving dangerously.

Everytime I get on the M50 there's some twat in one of the overtaking lanes bimbling along.

As for GOING TO COURT what did you expect, you reported a crime, ya think the person accused shouldn't get to face his/her accuser?

Patww79 wrote: »
    You can get boxed out into the outside lane at times, not everything is so black and white. I'd ask for clarification on them saying that they couldn't move safely to the left at that moment before jumping to that.

This!

Were you there? Had to move into the overtaking lane and was waiting for a chance to get back into the middle lane when it all happened. Nothing more to it than that.

The chance normally presents itself when you've overtaken, the clue being very much in the name of the lane. If one (and I chose that word carefully as to be fair to you I wasn't there) is going to take their sweet time overtaking a line of traffic why not just ease up a bit and stay over to the left.

I have very little time for tailgaters but I can understand where the frustration comes from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

You can get boxed out into the outside lane at times, not everything is so black and white. I'd ask for clarification on them saying that they couldn't move safely to the left at that moment before jumping to that.

If there's enough room for someone behind to move into the left lane and pick up enough speed to pass them they couldn't have been boxed out.
    That's bad driving that causes others to be reckless.

The problem is at least half the time it's the person reporting who was probably driving dangerously.

Everytime I get on the M50 there's some twat in one of the overtaking lanes bimbling along.

As for GOING TO COURT what did you expect, you reported a crime, ya think the person accused shouldn't get to face his/her accuser?

Some twat?

Oh right you're one of those emm 'individuals that drive up someone's arse when the person is boxed in yeah?

What would you have them do move closer to the barrier so you can squeeze in between the two lanes?

Have taken down a couple of numbers...but by the time I've got home the anger has gone and I've thought what's the point...

It's much more cathartic to just post it in the Dashcam thread in motors and have 50 people join you in thinking the person is a cnut.

If there's enough room for someone behind to move into the left lane and pick up enough speed to pass them they couldn't have been boxed out.
    That's bad driving that causes others to be reckless.

The person he swerved in front of had to jam on the breaks.

This is quite funny actually.

• Advertisement

Some twat?

Oh right you're one of those emm 'individuals that drive up someone's arse when the person is boxed in yeah?

What would you have them do move closer to the barrier so you can squeeze in between the two lanes?

I don't drive up their jacksie, I undertake them. I'm beginning to think the inside lane of the M50 is some sort of express lane. I'm also able to see that 90% of the time it's not the person in front of me but the eejit 2 or 3 cars up. There's only very small runs of the M50 where I can get by on the outside of the outside lane, unfortunately.

If you're boxed in to the outside lane speed up - easy.

The chance normally presents itself when you've overtaken, the clue being very much in the name of the lane. If one (and I chose that word carefully as to be fair to you I wasn't there) is going to take their sweet time overtaking a line of traffic why not just ease up a bit and stay over to the left.

I have very little time for tailgaters but I can understand where the frustration comes from.

Trust me there wasn't a chance and this all happened in the space of about 60 seconds. Not 5 minutes.

Up the arse of the car, guy swerves in and causes another car in middle lane to jam on, swerves back in front and jams on his breaks in front of us

You're missing the point that there had to have been space in the left lane for you to be undertaken in the first place.
    Even if someone jammed on the brakes he was behind you, and had enough space to pick up speed and get in front of you.
    Clearly there wasn't a car directly to your left unless he drove through it!

Trust me there wasn't a chance and this all happened in the space of about 60 seconds. Not 5 minutes.

Up the arse of the car, guy swerves in and causes another car in middle lane to jam on, swerves back in front and jams on his breaks in front of us

I am aware that this scenario can happen - I do give you that. Generally though it very rare it happens over a 60 second period, more like 5 minutes. I have to give you the benefit of the doubt as I wasn't there but you're probably about 1 in 20 that this happens too. The other 19 are hogging a lane to one degree or another.

Although even 60 seconds is 2Km usually.

Doesn't cause recklessness. It may be wrong but at worst it causes inconvenience, the recklesness is still a decision that's all on the driver doing it.

True but it's bad driving on both sides.

You're missing the point that there had to have been space in the left lane for you to be undertaken in the first place.
    Even if someone jammed on the brakes he was behind you, and had enough space to pick up speed and get in front of you.
    Clearly there wasn't a car directly to your left unless he drove through it!

There was not enough space and doing so would have been unsafe.

If he could have waited a WHOLE other maybe 20 seconds or so all would have been fine.

I'm not going to keep repeating myself. You weren't there so stop raising assumptions on a situation when you weren't there.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

I think we can all agree that someone hogging the overtaking lane is incredibly annoying (it doesn't sound like Keane2baMused was doing that imo). But undertaking and then moving back into the overtaking lane to then slam on your brakes because you're annoyed....flat out dangerous. I would 100% report someone if they were driving dangerously and I was able to get their reg.

I am aware that this scenario can happen - I do give you that. Generally though it very rare it happens over a 60 second period, more like 5 minutes. I have to give you the benefit of the doubt as I wasn't there but you're probably about 1 in 20 that this happens too. The other 19 are hogging a lane to one degree or another.

Although even 60 seconds is 2Km usually.

This guy was little boy racer in his GTI. We were the 1 in 20 that day!

I have no need or want to stay in an overtake lane.

I'm a get f in and out type (Adam) and it p1sses me off to no end when people treat it as a 'fast lane'.

scdublin wrote: »
    I think we can all agree that someone hogging the overtaking lane is incredibly annoying (it doesn't sound like Keane2baMused was doing that imo). But undertaking and then moving back into the overtaking lane to then slam on your brakes because you're annoyed....flat out dangerous. I would 100% report someone if they were driving dangerously and I was able to get their reg.
    This guy was little boy racer in his GTI. We were the 1 in 20 that day!

I have no need or want to stay in an overtake lane.

I'm a get f in and out type (Adam) and it p1sses me off to no end when people treat it as a 'fast lane'.

Quite agree.

Dash cams should be in use by many more people and frankly should be standard kit on new cars IMO.

• Advertisement

How could you see the person he swerved in front of?
    There was enough space on the left for him to undertake you, and you say the person he pulled out in front of, jammed on his breaks, how could you possibly see that?

If there was room on thge left, that's where you should have been.
    People can get boxed into the right hand lane, but obviously you weren't.

Advertisement