Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dangerous Drivers. Would you report one if you seen one?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

There was not enough space and doing so would have been unsafe.

If he could have waited a WHOLE other maybe 20 seconds or so all would have been fine.

I'm not going to keep repeating myself. You weren't there so stop raising assumptions on a situation when you weren't there.

I'm not making assumptions I'm suggesting that as there was room for a car to undertake there may have been room for you to move in. If you say there wasn't then fair enough.

In general (and not aimed at keane2beAmused) there is nothing worse than someone who insists on sitting in the overtaking lane until they pass the next car while a queue of traffic builds up behind them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Sorry to drag this back onto topic as I helped derail it - yes I do report dangerous drivers traffic watch are excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

There was not enough space and doing so would have been unsafe.

If he could have waited a WHOLE other maybe 20 seconds or so all would have been fine.

I'm not going to keep repeating myself. You weren't there so stop raising assumptions on a situation when you weren't there.
    In general (and not aimed at keane2beAmused) there is nothing worse than someone who insists on sitting in the overtaking lane until they pass the next car while a queue of traffic builds up behind them.
    The whole point of an overtaking lane is to be in it until you pass the next car though (assuming they're going faster than the car in the left). Different if they're in it and going slower than the left lane and if they're not actually moving back in, but they have to wait until they pass the cars before going back in regardless of how many cars have built up behind them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I like driving in the fast lane, God knows I pay enough road tax for the privilege.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

scdublin wrote: »
    The whole point of an overtaking lane is to be in it until you pass the next car though (assuming they're going faster than the car in the left). Different if they're in it and going slower than the left lane and if they're not actually moving back in, but they have to wait until they pass the cars before going back in regardless of how many cars have built up behind them.

You're supposed to move in and let faster moving traffic pass.
    It's one thing to wait to pass a stream of traffic but when there's space on your left you should move in until you get close enough to the next car that you can move out and overtake. You don't sit in the lane for 5-10 mins while you slowly build up enough speed!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

You're supposed to move in and let faster moving traffic pass.
    It's one thing to wait to pass a stream of traffic but when there's space on your left you should move in until you get close enough to the next car that you can move out and overtake. You don't sit in the lane for 5-10 mins while you slowly build up enough speed!
    I think we're pretty much saying the same thing but in a different way so yeah I agree. I just don't like when you are genuinely waiting to move back in but there's a row of cars on your left so you have to wait to pass them, and the person behind you is driving right up your backside like you can do anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

I think we're pretty much saying the same thing but in a different way so yeah I agree. I just don't like when you are genuinely waiting to move back in but there's a row of cars on your left so you have to wait to pass them, and the person behind you is driving right up your backside like you can do anything else.

Exactly that.

There are people in the overtaking lane who cruise along like Sunday drivers, then on the other extreme the get the f out of my way boy racers who drive up your behind and will stop at nothing to get you out of their way.

The rules of the road don't apply to these people and they treat it as a fast lane which it is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Patww79 wrote: »
    I have been driving long enough to have some appreciation of reaction times and stopping distances. At motorway speeds, the "length of an artic" (about 20m.) is dangerously close.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I've reported a couple of people who nearly killed me in the past or were doing something so stupid I just couldn't let it go. I never heard anything back though. I have also contacted the head office of a truck driver who nearly drove me off the side of the m50 at one stage when he changed lanes (into me), they told me "they'd handle the matter". I should have followed up to make sure they'd fired him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    I like driving in the fast lane, God knows I pay enough road tax for the privilege.

We've seen your idea of the fast lane, you menace to society!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

I've reported some lunatic from my local area. The guard at the station said it would be very difficult to find him. Surely the car (which I had the reg of) is registered to an address. I'm no sherlock Holmes but I'd start there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I've been reported by another driver and rightly so.
    Used to commute from tramore to naas before the motorway was built.
    Couldn't stand the drive once you'd pass Carlow. Bends, narrow roads, tractors etc.
    One night during the winter I left work late and nothing but traffic all the way home.
    About 30km from Waterford I lost my patience with one car in front and overtook on a double line about 300m before a bend which caused him to brake and beep and flash.
    I was young and stupid and thought fcuk him.
    Got to Waterford and an unmarked car was sitting at the roundabout next to the train station.
    Followed me until the IT and pulled me over.
    I apologised and they took pity on my commute every single day and let me off with a warning.
    The cops do listen to those calls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

Coincidently I was hoping to report a driver this evening.

I had been out for a run and the park where I run is off a busy single carriageway road which is wide and about a mile long but on a gradual curve so not safe to over take.

I had been getting in the car which was on the hard shoulder on the rhs of the road when I this souped up MG/Rover hatchback sped past at a ridiculous speed overtaking a 206. I before I could even mutter the words "**** me" oncoming traffic whizzed past. A second sooner and I could well have been pancaked! I tried to catch up with the car to get the number plate but by the time I was on the road he was well gone. The ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

bear1 wrote: »
    I've been reported by another driver and rightly so.
    Used to commute from tramore to naas before the motorway was built.
    Couldn't stand the drive once you'd pass Carlow. Bends, narrow roads, tractors etc.
    One night during the winter I left work late and nothing but traffic all the way home.
    About 30km from Waterford I lost my patience with one car in front and overtook on a double line about 300m before a bend which caused him to brake and beep and flash.
    I was young and stupid and thought fcuk him.
    Got to Waterford and an unmarked car was sitting at the roundabout next to the train station.
    Followed me until the IT and pulled me over.
    I apologised and they took pity on my commute every single day and let me off with a warning.
    The cops do listen to those calls.
    I was reported myself actually.. nothing out of the ordinary I thought though. Coming home one evening from work and I veered onto the white strip of the hard shoulder on the m1 (NI) twice in a short period of time. Queue a knock on the door from the police 20 mins later checking to see if I was "ok" as I had been reported and they thought I might have been "unwell"....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Since Motorists seem to enjoy getting nice and frothy with rage about the overtaking lane, if your sitting at 120 and you can't pull into the driving lane because of traffic what are you meant to do (assuming you pulled into that lane for a legitimate reason)?
    (I don't drive much but when I do I am slow and annoying, the rest of the time I cycle so I am definitely a target of hate)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Since Motorists seem to enjoy getting nice and frothy with rage about the overtaking lane, if your sitting at 120 and you can't pull into the driving lane because of traffic what are you meant to do (assuming you pulled into that lane for a legitimate reason)?
    (I don't drive much but when I do I am slow and annoying, the rest of the time I cycle so I am definitely a target of hate)

Overtake and pull in.
    I usually speed up a bit though when overtaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

Patww79 wrote: »
    alma73 wrote: »
    I did and the hassle afterwards with gards and reports and then GOING TO COURT..

You cant both be right :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

If I'd enough information to report them, I absolutely would. Problem is most times I've seen dangerous driving, they're gone before I'd have a chance to get their numberplate or anything else.

I'm also crap with location. I had this problem recently. I was driving towards Sligo, and anyone familiar with the area would know of the metal horse up high on a hill beside the road between Boyle and Sligo? It's a fairly distinctive landmark. And it's a fast enough stretch of road. So anyways, I'd driven past that and then around a corner, and there were two horses escaped from a field and out on the road, running and jumping all over the place. Cars from both directions were braking and swerving to avoid them, and an accident could easily have occurred, as they were just around a bend and it's a 100kph zone. So I pulled in and rang the local Garda station to let them know. I told them there were horses out on the road and causing a bit of chaos, "ummm .... it's somewhere on the road between Boyle and Sligo. I don't know the area. Lets see, oh, it's just past the horse, you know the horse up high on the hill?" "But I thought you said the horses were on the road?" "No the other one, the metal one ..." I think she thought I was a bit of a looper. :o

Anyways the horses were rounded up, no accident occurred, no harm done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Yes I have reported 2 people in the past (could have reported hundreds but only 2 so far made me feel like they could have actually ended my life).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,140 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I would in future.

I was driving down the n4 with my other half and a guy and his missus were tailgating us. We had no (safe) way to pull into the other lane. Going at 110kmph or so .

So what did he do? Swerved into the left lane (nearly crashing into someone as he did).

My other half being so hacked off flipped the bird at him. Guy pulls straight into the lane in front of us, and proceeds to Jam on his breaks. The road was clear ahead of him, no reason for him to do so other than an attempt to get us to crash into him. Absolute psycho. Our young baby in the back seat too.

Only for good breaks and my guy having his wits about him we were dead meat!

I was so close to calling to report him but I got no registration and was just too shaken up to think straight.
    Were you there? Had to move into the overtaking lane and was waiting for a chance to get back into the middle lane when it all happened. Nothing more to it than that.

Ok there are somethings that don't add up here.

Only place I can think of where there are three lanes on N4/M4 is bypassing Lucan from Liffey Valley out and which is also just a 80kph AFAIK.

Where the road is 120kph it is two lanes bar sections with off/on ramps like out in Kildare, or down in Kinegad, etc.

And if you were only doing 110kph in a 120 then you could have speeded up a bit until you passed.

Also in my experience if someone has enough room to undertake then someone has enough room to pull in other lane.
    Of course someone can bully their way into space by forcing someone to brake.

Also why was your other half flipping the bird at someone driving alongside and not watching the road in front.
    That only aggravates the situation and causes the muppet to then try and slam on brakes when in front of you.

And if the road was clear ahead of him then it had been clear in front of you so why were you doing 10kph under limit if it was a 120 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

alma73 wrote: »
    I did and the hassle afterwards with gards and reports and then GOING TO COURT..

The moral right thing to do is report, otherwise some idiot teenager is not only going to kill himself, but you aswell, however the system does not make it easy. If you report a case, you will have to testify in court, there is followup, interviews..etc. etc.

Dangerous driving is certainly not limited to teenagers in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭duffman3833

if you had a dash cam and supplied the footage to the guards, and it clearly shows dangerous driving, it would hardly go to court, would it?

Advertisement