Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Bill.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Will they be back to dismantle and remove the meters as quick as they were to install them?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

Alan Kelly claimed that 70% of households had paid water charges. This has to be bullshit. Last time I looked only about 45% of those who registered actually paid meaning about 25 % of households.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

To me, who would be pretty much apolitical, it started to bust at the seems, and fall asunder right around the time big Jackboot Phil started his trickle threats, the Freudian slip of stating that all data (including pps numbers) would be the property of Irish Water, and could be sold on to third parties if the company (which was a private company) was sold. This info was hastily removed when pointed out of course.

Also the "ultimately envisaged, privatisation" letter (again a "mistake"we were told.)

And then there was this which basically was a blueprint for privatisation of our water services.

Give it a few years and this whole sorry mess will feature in some business studies courses, on how not to set up a business model.

In the meantime, it'll probably make reeling in the years in a few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Ush1 wrote: »
    But the commodity isn't up to scratch and it's getting worse. It clearly needs investment and people don't place value on what they don't pay directly for. It's just like the waste charges all over again.
    The age-old trick for privatization: Defund a public service, watch the quality of the service worsen, as public outrage increases, begin gradually setting up the service for privatization as a 'solution' to a manufactured problem (which could easily be solved through restoring proper public funding - except this is treated as verboten politically), before gradually spinning it off entirely into private ownership - usually providing a far more expensive service as a percentage of the average persons income, with profits going to private hands instead of recirculating into public spending/investment.

This is the core of the backlash against the IW debacle. People are not (entirely) stupid, they see when they are getting setup for being screwed, in a rather blatant way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭TheExile1878

smash wrote: »
    What you do is apply for your water conservation grant, get €100 and then never pay your bill :)

That's what I did, not for any protest reason - just never got round to it.

Not going to now!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

HensVassal wrote: »
    Alan Kelly claimed that 70% of households had paid water charges. This has to be bullshit. Last time I looked only about 45% of those who registered actually paid meaning about 25 % of households.

he will be including those that pay for private like they always did when IW released figures on households.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭Redbishop

The age-old trick for privatization: Defund a public service, watch the quality of the service worsen, as public outrage increases, begin gradually setting up the service for privatization as a 'solution' to a manufactured problem (which could easily be solved through restoring proper public funding - except this is treated as verboten politically), before gradually spinning it off entirely into private ownership - usually providing a far more expensive service as a percentage of the average persons income, with profits going to private hands instead of recirculating into public spending/investment.

This is the core of the backlash against the IW debacle. People are not (entirely) stupid, they see when they are getting setup for being screwed, in a rather blatant way.

I m telling mammy on you komrade.
    Anyway that's a croc.
    The core of the backlash was against charges Imo.
    IW is still here, its the charges that are abolished, so obviously its the view of most politicians that they have overcome that now.
    Lets see with charges gone how well the backlash against IW holds up, maybe hold a protest march out here on a sunny Saturday in June or July and see how many show up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Unless FG now tries to put water services out to tender, you can't have privatized water services without a charge.

If tendering is the next trick to be used in the effort to privatize Irelands water services, then it's the pursuit of the same result - total privatization - just through different means; with charges still likely being on the cards, once the infrastructure is sufficiently spun-off into private hands.

Whether people will treat any attempts at that, with the same backlash as charges, I don't know - but they should, as it would mean the same result later on down the line.

+1

Do you see the scam now Ush1?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

It is BS.

61% had paid all or some of their previous 3 bills after Q3.

Many could have stopped paying after Q1, Q2 or Q3 and I expect most will not have paid Q4 if they had any sense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Well no, the poster I quoted claimed FF made a mess of Irish Water, and Water charges. FF had no input into the formation of the company, as they were toast a few years by the time the company was formed, and the charging structure was implemented.

The mess that was made of both, as Fergus pointed out lay with its creators, and those who set the charging structure.

That's FG/Lab.

He was talking about recent events, you are talking about a historical reference from a sacked Minister with an axe to grind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

While Irish water was/is a total **** up, I do resent having this lumped into general taxation. It essentially means the dole crew get another free pass while us workers get screwed harder. Progressive taxation indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭Redbishop

Unless FG now tries to put water services out to tender, you can't have privatized water services without a charge.

If tendering is the next trick to be used in the effort to privatize Irelands water services, then it's the pursuit of the same result - total privatization - just through different means; with charges still likely being on the cards, once the infrastructure is sufficiently spun-off into private hands.

Whether people will treat any attempts at that, with the same backlash as charges, I don't know - but they should, as it would mean the same result later on down the line.

Jaez h.
    Drive the length and breadth of the country and govt/council works are tendered out and being done by private companies, even water works before there was ever a hint of IW. Down here where I live the even tender out vehicle hire of vans and small trucks doing the everyday works.
    It doesent mean privatisation, it means being able to get work done without creating a heavy full time staff which have to be paid regardless of how long work takes or if there is even need for them at all times.
    You're all reading far to deeply in to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Run your tap.
    Fill a glass
    Leave it in the fridge until suitably chilled
    Drain glass in one swallow
    Sigh with satifisfaction

That's the taste of freedom boys.

Godge wrote: »
    He was talking about recent events,
    Recent events that were a direct result of the policies and implementation be and his buddies concocted. That is a fact.
    you are talking about a historical reference from a sacked Minister with an axe to grind.
    I never put you down as someone that has a history cut off point tbh. Just so I'm clear, how fa back does your history referral point kick in?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

+1

Do you see the scam now Ush1?

No I personally don't, I can see some tin foil hats? I'm not a fan of government control of most things, I thing privitisation for certain things is good.

While Irish water was/is a total **** up, I do resent having this lumped into general taxation. It essentially means the dole crew get another free pass while us workers get screwed harder. Progressive taxation indeed.

When were the dole crew going to pay this ? You do know there is a window in the SW office you can go to and say you cant pay bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I thing privitisation for certain things is good.

Do you think privatisation of water is one of them?

Just to add to this....manufacture asset bubbles through the provision of cheap money. When the bubbles inevitably burst triggering recession, slash public service spending (but shift a load of public wealth into private hands through bailouts). When the services deteriorate, privatise them further impoverishing the populace and put public asset and commodities into private hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

Bambi wrote: »
    Run your tap.
    Fill a glass
    Leave it in the fridge until suitably chilled
    Drain glass in one swallow
    Sigh with satifisfaction

That's the taste of freedom boys.

Yes Indeed!!

Run a nice long bath.
    Fire up the outdoor jacuuzi.
    Lash on the sprinkler system for that lawn putting green.
    Power hose the drive.
    Drain and refill the swimming pool. (Fecking Llamas kicking dirt into it!)
    Hose down both Mercs.

Well done Comrades!

Up the workers!

• Advertisement

Yes Indeed!!

Run a nice long bath.
    Power hose the drive.
    Hose down both Mercs.

Well done Comrades!

Up the workers!

The none payers are Reds now ?????

Do you think privatisation of water is one of them?

Possibly, all I know is that it needs investment now.

Possibly, all I know is that it needs investment now.

What happened to all the money dumped into IW already then ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Yes Indeed!!

Run a nice long bath.
    Power hose the drive.
    Hose down both Mercs.

Well done Comrades!

Up the workers!

We're happy with the odd shower and a nice cup of tea.

Leave the jacuzis and the mercs to the merchant classes.

Yes Indeed!!

Run a nice long bath.
    Power hose the drive.
    Hose down both Mercs.

Well done Comrades!

Up the workers!

That sounds like a rich fellas gaff.

Don't we keep being reminded that they already are paying a lot of tax in this country? Anyone with those luxuries in the house will have already disproportionately have paid his dues.

If we're to listen to others in here.

Don't punish success! Give the man some water.

No I personally don't, I can see some tin foil hats? I'm not a fan of government control of most things, I thing privitisation for certain things is good.

Well the tin foil hat quip is the stock ad hominem when denial kicks in. Privatisation of water is asset stripping plain and simple. You've been conned but can't admit it. So continue to lie to yourself.

Bambi wrote: »
    We're happy with the odd shower and a nice cup of tea.

Leave the jacuzis and the mercs to the merchant classes.

True, But since pretty much no one was wasting water in the first place what's the posters point about swimming pools. Is it not a bit cold for outside pools in people gardens in Ireland.

What happened to all the money dumped into IW already then ?

No idea, but as I said I wouldn't be suprised if much gets wasted as I find most government agencies very inefficient.

Well the tin foil hat quip is the stock ad hominem when denial kicks in. Privatisation of water is asset stripping plain and simple. You've been conned but can't admit it. So continue to lie to yourself.

What do you keep saying I've been conned, no real decision has been made regards the future of Irish Water, if there will be refunds, if people who haven't paid will be pursued etc..

Do you pay USC? Have you been conned?

• Advertisement

No idea, but as I said I wouldn't be suprised if much gets wasted as I find most government agencies very inefficient.

Sounds like a plane, IW already had money thrown at it. And now we are told to throw even more at the water system. Have you read up anything about IW and out network ??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement