Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Bill.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭Redbishop

smash wrote: »
    Such as? Come on... entertain me.

You're having a laugh, right?

It's only a matter of time before water charges are applied to property tax.

Any way you look at it though, anyone currently in arrears or who hasn't paid would be foolish to pay now.
    There is going to be a commission set up to decide on the payment structure and timing.
    No guarantee they will recommend re- introduction of charges and even if they do it might be with generous allowances that people if canny might never go over.
    This to me at present looks like a shim sham face saving exercise to let FG sneak out the back door on the issue and at the same time try to salvage some kind of honour in the fact that they would be acting on the commissions advice, if that makes sense.
    They lost the overall battle here and shrunk in the face of losing power.
    No kudos from me on this one for them, or for FF for forcing them to it either.
    Remember who first mooted these charges!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

mariaalice wrote: »
    Bin charges anyone? To people of a certain age there was a time when local authorities collected bins for FREE ( or paid out of central taxation ) Now we all pay bin charges of one sort or another.

Some local authorities did. Some people always paid for their bins.

Just like some people always paid charges for their water, in addition to central taxation.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 mynameismud

We had this discussion on another thread and were confused as to when the fines kicked in. Is it €60 per year per bill - ie €60 x 4 or just one €60 per 12 month period. If people haven't registered or engaged with IW and the extra charge is per bill per year, they'd hit the €500 in less than a year.

Incorrect,I've received my 5th bill last week,previous 4 remain unpaid and there is no extra penalties attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I didn't pay my water bills and glad I didn't and I have absolutely no intention of paying them.

Water is paid for through general taxation and motor tax. Unfortunately I'm one of those that cant afford a post 08 car with cheaper tax and have been paying €710 a year for my car for the last 6 years (in fact I have paid more as I can only afford 3 months at a time which works out at €800 a year)

I have more than enough paid for my fcuking water!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Fergus O'Dowd disagrees with this.

That'd be Fergus of Fine Gael by the way.

Surely, to be accurate, your post should state "Fergus O'Dowd disagreed with this some years ago in a different context", rather than "Fergus O'Dowd disagrees with this"?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

jeamimus wrote: »
    Don't pay now. FF have created an unholy mess that will take years to sort out, if ever. Meanwhile the long suffering taxpayer, not the actual user, will have to pay for this cock up.

Alan Dukes, former FG leader said this;
    "A glorious, god-awful mess has been made of Irish Water. We've ended up with a system now that no rational person would have invented if they had sat down to put this kind of system together.
    The hope must be that it will work lamely until some sort of coherent system is put in place."

If you've never registered, you have every right to treat their letters as junk mail.

But this is scaremongering at best. It was being paid for through taxation before IW was set up. I agree that the allocation for water services wasn't managed properly but it was still being paid for. The money that has been sunk in to IW at this stage would have fixed most of the water issues in the country but instead we're left with a toxic company.

I never registered with RTE but still have to pay my fcuking licence fee?

If you think that most of the water problems could have been fixed by the money spent so far on IW then all I can say is, there's no point arguing with you!
    Not even close.

Alan Dukes, former FG leader said this;

Never seen that before, thanks!
    Smilie.

Redbishop wrote: »
    Never seen that before, thanks!
    Smilie.

You are most welcome Sir :)

Have a nice day Red.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 mynameismud

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Populism at its finest, we are a bunch of idiotic, couch swallowing, selfish clowns.

The mind boggles, we will never learn.

This should be the new slogan for FG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Don't kid yourselves. The shortfall will just be tacked on to USC, property tax or whatever.

Irish Water was a corrupt and inept disaster but the money required for the raft of 'free' services so beloved of the Irish taxpayer (or indeed, the non taxpayer) will just be juggled from somewhere else, because, you know, they require this thing called money to provide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I never registered with RTE but still have to pay my fcuking licence fee?
    You don't pay your license to RTE.
    If you think that most of the water problems could have been fixed by the money spent so far on IW then all I can say is, there's no point arguing with you!
    Not even close.

There was a video from the Oireachtas that I can't seem to find but it was embedded in an IW thread before. It had a member from Dublin County council giving a report regarding leaks and other issues with the systems in Dublin. The report gave costs and timelines and proved that the money spent on IW so far, far outweighed the costs needed to rectify the issues in Dublin at least.

IW could have been a good utility for the country, but it's a toxic organisation to the core and that's the issue that people have with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Oh, When was Revenue collecting Water charges ?

are you saying that Revenue collects all of the State's taxes?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,348 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

IW could have been a good utility for the country, but it's a toxic organisation to the core and that's the issue that people have with it.
    How is IW toxic to the core?

I didn't pay my water bills and glad I didn't and I have absolutely no intention of paying them.

Water is paid for through general taxation and motor tax. Unfortunately I'm one of those that cant afford a post 08 car with cheaper tax and have been paying €710 a year for my car for the last 6 years (in fact I have paid more as I can only afford 3 months at a time which works out at €800 a year)

I have more than enough paid for my fcuking water!!

Irish people don't like direct high taxes and vote accordingly, while still demanding comprehensive services.

That's why you get people that aren't even paying a massive amount of income tax (or people even barely in the tax net) and paying a few hundred quid a year motor tax then demanding XY top level service, the cost of which is then plugged up with stealth taxes.

That said, i wholly agree that a normal model of high tax and good state services is a pipe dream here because cronyism, ineptitude and unions make sure that even the relatively lavishly funded state services like health can't function properly.

And as such, a normal, sensible idea like a modest, billed, water service (with an emphasis on infrastructure and conservation) instead becomes a vested-interest, messy money-sink.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Petroglyph

Our landlord must have have given our details to IW. We never registered and also didn't take the grant. Current bill in the door is 200+.
    Have bought our own place now and moving in next month. Unsure whether or not to contact them and tell them its pointless sending any more bills.

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Wait till they ask people to give the 100 euro grant back?

That will be fun.

It actually costs €6,000,000 per year just to administer that €100 "conservation" grant. Disgraceful waste of money.

The fact that civil disobedience triumphed is a turning point in our history and our democracy.
    The politicians were taught a hard lesson in accountability. The superquango that Hogan set up was an arrogant insult
    to every Irish person. Our trust for politicians is probably at all all time low now (despite FG's promised "new politics") .
    Perhaps now we have moved away from the "learned helplessness" and future politicians will think twice before
    pulling another dodgy stunt like IW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Ush1 wrote: »
    Well from what I understand there is an independant commision which will make a call in 9 months, so it's not gone yet. Did the IMF not mandate the introduction of water charges?

This what a lot of people seem to ignore,anyone that knows a bit about the IMF knows about their history of water privatisation(a condition of a bailout)and upping the price,it's never good,Bolivia springs to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

The way i see it they will have massive shortfall for next of the year.

I didn't mind paying water bill since eventually it worked out to getting 100e back and 140 total per year.But After election all crap talks of government themselves not having a f**in clue and talking rubbish about possibly scrapping it, and people being left dry if something like that happened while not likely,but think its enough for many to postpone any payments before it gets sorted properly and everyone is paying.

In other words this wouldn't been a problem if government asked everyone in country to chip in 100e per house to upgrade existing water plants/facilities for a years time without digging trenches every 10 feet.
    But when they hire outside contractors,let private company handle all the payments and spend millions euros in the process,sort of understand why some wont bother paying at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

scamalert wrote: »
    The way i see it they will have massive shortfall for next of the year.

I didn't mind paying water bill since eventually it worked out to getting 100e back and 140 total per year.But After election all crap talks of government themselves not having a f**in clue and talking rubbish about possibly scrapping it, and people being left dry if something like that happened while not likely,but think its enough for many to postpone any payments before it gets sorted properly and everyone is paying.

In other words this wouldn't been a problem if government asked everyone in country to chip in 100e per house to upgrade existing water plants/facilities for a years time without digging trenches every 10 feet.
    But when they hire outside contractors,let private company handle all the payments and spend millions euros in the process,sort of understand why some wont bother paying at all.

The amount lost from billing residential is 300m Would not call that massive. And considering all the "Fiscal Space" and they were able to also remove 4bn from USC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

Godge wrote: »
    Surely, to be accurate, your post should state "Fergus O'Dowd disagreed with this some years ago in a different context", rather than "Fergus O'Dowd disagrees with this"?

Well no, the poster I quoted claimed FF made a mess of Irish Water, and Water charges. FF had no input into the formation of the company, as they were toast a few years by the time the company was formed, and the charging structure was implemented.

The mess that was made of both, as Fergus pointed out lay with its creators, and those who set the charging structure.

That's FG/Lab.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

Absolute joke.

I now have to listen to my lefty numpty mate about how wrong I was to pay and it serves me right.

Why did you pay it? Maybe you should listen to your lefty numpty mate a bit more often. If you can't think for yourself and follow the herd at least get a second opinion before you do as you're told.

Merrion wrote: »
    I think non-payment of any bill can be put on your credit score even if it doesn't go to court so I'd suggest you do pay if you are looking to get any credit in the next year or so?

I'm going to send you an air bill. You better pay me or your credit score will suffer.

Could be wrong but I'm almost sure non payment of any service bill does not affect credit rating and only gets you blacklisted or cut off from the service.

It's only bank stuff like missing loan, mortgage or credit card repayments that affects credit rating I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

HensVassal wrote: »
    Why did you pay it? Maybe you should listen to your lefty numpty mate a bit more often. If you can't think for yourself and follow the herd at least get a second opinion before you do as you're told.

I paid it because it's the law and I agree the water infrastructure needs investment.

Also it's not gone, and you and my left numpty mate may be made to pay yet.

diomed wrote: »
    I was happy to pay water charges. We need good water services. I would be happy to let them keep the money I paid.
    Property tax is much higher that water charges. Silence on that.

Have Fianna Fail hitched themselves onto the anti-water charges bandwagon so that they can collect cheap votes? Does that clean the slate of all Fianna Fail mis-management? (abolishing a necessary charge).

Back to the good old days of spend, spend, spend followed by begging Europe for a bit of help.

Just goes to prove that it's a hell of a lot easier to scam somebody than to get them to admit that they were scammed.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I paid it because it's the law and I agree the water infrastructure needs investment.

Also it's not gone, and you and my left numpty mate may be made to pay yet.

We understand it's the law. That's no excuse. Government by, of, for and with the consent of, the governed, remember? Occasionally some people need to be reminded of what exactly "The State" is, and what it is for. I'd consider this a cheap lesson by comparison with what usually happens when a population decides it's had quite enough of "The State".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

jimgoose wrote: »
    We understand it's the law. That's no excuse. Government by, of, for and with the consent of, the governed, remember? Occasionally some people need to be reminded of what exactly "The State" is, and what it is for. I'd consider this a cheap lesson by comparison with what usually happens when a population decides it's had quite enough of "The State".

What lesson? There is a commision to make a call on it in 9 months. Somebodies going to pay one way or another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

What lesson? There is a commision to make a call on it in 9 months. Somebodies going to pay one way or another.

The fact that since the general election the majority of elected TDs are so on a platform of rejecting the water setup in it's current form, thus forcing Mad O'Duffy and his jackbooted know-it-all pals to back the fuck off if they want to see Leinster House again in the next five years. Somebody always pays one way or another - tell me about it, it's usually me and those like me. But, loud and clear, not like this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement