Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Bill.

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Sounds like a plane, IW already had money thrown at it. And now we are told to throw even more at the water system. Have you read up anything about IW and out network ??

Yes I have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Ush1 wrote: »
    What do you keep saying I've been conned, no real decision has been made regards the future of Irish Water, if there will be refunds, if people who haven't paid will be pursued etc..

Do you pay USC? Have you been conned?

What has USC got to do with IW ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

Yes Indeed!!

Run a nice long bath.
    Fire up the outdoor jacuuzi.
    Lash on the sprinkler system for that lawn putting green.
    Power hose the drive.
    Drain and refill the swimming pool. (Fecking Llamas kicking dirt into it!)
    Hose down both Mercs.

Well done Comrades!

Up the workers!

Translation: "I've been scammed, but millions of others haven't fallen for the ruse. Instead of coming to my senses, admitting I was fooled and being thankful that I was only temporarily scammed, I am going to get all pissy at the ones who refused to be scammed and try to pretend they've just destroyed the country"

What has USC got to do with IW ?

Erm, nothing, the point I was making was the use of the term "conned".

Yes I have.

Then why are you asking for more money to be used, When IW was using the same the LCC were using and no more ? You realise IW was not investing any more money than was previously ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Phil Hogan has a lot to answer for.

Then why are you asking for more money to be used, When IW was using the same the LCC were using and no more ? You realise IW was not investing any more money than was previously ?

So there was to be no investment, and metering isn't going to encourage conservation?

So there was to be no investment, and metering isn't going to encourage conservation?

No more investment than was already allocated. We did not need meters they should have put 10k in to find out we use nothing like what they thought.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

Erm, nothing, the point I was making was the use of the term "conned".

You've been duped into paying for something three times and you don't see the scam? I don't know what else to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

News talk just gave details how to cancel direct debit and claim refunds for bills paid. Only applies to the past few weeks I think. And to those who paid obviously!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

HensVassal wrote: »
    Translation: "I've been scammed, but millions of others haven't fallen for the ruse. Instead of coming to my senses, admitting I was fooled and being thankful that I was only temporarily scammed, I am going to get all pissy at the ones who refused to be scammed and try to pretend they've just destroyed the country"

You should try "War and Peace" next, Hens. But something tells me your translation would be exactly the same. :pac:

No more investment than was already allocated. We did not need meters they should have put 10k in to find out we use nothing like what they thought.

Why do we not "need" meters? People won't make any effort to conserve water unless there is a financial impact on not doing so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Phil Hogan has a lot to answer for.

Does he care?
    The former minister for the environment Phil Hogan will be entitled to gross payments totalling more than €336,446 in his first year as European commissioner if successful in his bid for the position.

Why do we not "need" meters? People won't make any effort to conserve water unless there is a financial impact on not doing so.

Save what now ? People were using nothing like what they thought we are using half what they though. Who are these that are wasting water their own figures say no one was wasting water. Well that's a lie the Mains system leaking 50% of the treated water was the one wasting water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Deep Six

We don't need meters because if they had used the money wasted on them in fixing the actual problems with the water supply, we'd be a lot better off. Plus if you take a look out your nearest window, why would you conserve something we are drowning in 350 days a year??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

But this kind of argument is used to imply that people piss away water unnecessarily at an unsustainable rate. It's not actually true though. An overwhelming majority of people use below the threshold applied by the water charges. The meters are useful to find leaks, but they're not required for every household.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,772 ✭✭✭✭listermint

smash wrote: »
    But this kind of argument is used to imply that people piss away water unnecessarily at an unsustainable rate. It's not actually true though. An overwhelming majority of people use below the threshold applied by the water charges. The meters are useful to find leaks, but they're not required for every household.

There was far better ways to do this, but 2 things

-it wouldnt line the pockets of big business
    -the goal was to have people pay a third time for water with no refunds on the other 2 means of subsidisation

• Registered Users Posts: 6,306 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Deep Six wrote: »
    We don't need meters because if they had used the money wasted on them in fixing the actual problems with the water supply, we'd be a lot better off. Plus if you take a look out your nearest window, why would you conserve something we are drowning in 350 days a year??
    I presume you are planning to dig a hole in your back garden to use as a toilet?

I presume you are planning to dig a hole in your back garden to use as a toilet?

Nope, Because I am connected to a system paid for by my tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

If you're smart, you could do it in the neighbours garden!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

You mean a septic tank?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

To the people, not getting a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,306 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Ireland's water system poses public health and environmental risks, she said.

"Almost half of our treated water isn't even reaching our pipes.

"The water supply to over 700,000 people is at risk of contamination every single day.

"We have about 20,000 people right now on boil water notices.

"Our infrastructure is old and crumbling. We have raw sewage being pumped into our rivers and waterways.

"We have 180,000 properties at risk from contamination from lead pipes and the European Commission has a case against Ireland over failure to protect our rivers and coastal ways," she added.
    From http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0428/784746-government-talks/

That's the system that your taxes have paid for.

Given the chance of using resources to fix these problems or open new schools and hospitals which one do you think politicians will go for? We won't invest in the water system because it just doesn't get you votes. So we will continue to have raw sewage pumped into our sea and under investing in vital infrastructure because we'd rather sweep the problems under the carpet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Irish water was an inside job #truthisouthere

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Mod:

All Irish Water topics are for the Politics Cafe. I know you can't post there right now, but you're gonna have to wait until it's open.

Regards,
    Denis O'Brien

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement