Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you hold Boards grudges?

Options

Comments

I don't hold a boards grudge but I never forget.

There was one particular poster a while back who really and genuinely hurt my feelings. I was so surprised because this is the internet and he/she is an anonymous person typing words on a screen. Maybe I hurt that person too. So while I don't have a grudge against them they are on my "beware list".

The rest of yee are a multi-faceted bunch who keep me both entertained, informed, and frustrated in equal measure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Maireadio

K-9 wrote: »
    The ignore one is hilarious, there was a guy a few years back had half AH and Politics on ignore! I swear he's here somewhere arguing with himself.

I don't see the point in putting people on ignore. If you agree with everyone, you're not alive! Disagreements are part of life, and I like to see discussions in their entirety, unfiltered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I think I've got two people on my ignore list, but I'm not 100% sure. I definitely have one.

I don't hold grudges, but, the same as on Facebook, if I don't want to see the drivel someone spouts, I'll just block them because I'm not gonna get myself drawn into an argument by reading their posts.

Generally though, I like most people I interact with. There are some interesting, varied viewpoints on subjects here, so even if I don't agree with certain posters, I enjoy reading their posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,567 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Eh, I don't hold grudges as such. I certainly thank posts if I thought they were sensible/interesting/funny even if I had clashed with the poster previously. Even a fool can say something right from time to time if he talks enough. My experience (and I've tested my theory) is that the posters who irritate you tend to be more innocent morons than deliberate trolls.

I've nobody on my ignore list - I just ignore people. It seems to work better than the ignore list given the amount of people who still seem able to respond to posters on their ignore list.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,746 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I don't hold grudges, but nothing annoys me more than someone bringing something up I might have said months ago so to start an argument.
    I can change my opinions on things, yet if you are the person holding the grudge you are the person who is not changing, but are being stuck as a bitter person.
    I try to accept people who have different opinions and beliefs to myself, as I want others to accept who I am, and I know I am far from perfect.
    I just think holding grudges is such a waste of energy, and we would be better off accepting differences rather than looking at someone to say 'you are wrong' and then take it too far.
    I use get into debates on this site that could go on for pages, now I don't. Now I give my opinion, if people don't like it, fine, I don't have to like your opinion either.
    If someone gets personal, I just report and let a mod deal with it. No point trying to build grudges by arguing with such people.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Nobody on my list. If posts contain drivel, they can be mentally ignored. That does it for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

No I do not, little girls do seem to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

No one on my ignore list but I did stupidly held a grudge against some clown who reported me for my signature being oversized back in the day, it was slightly coincidental that I beat him in a game of Pro Evo on Xbox a few days prior, petty...

We had a brief exchange at each other via PM and that was that - I think the same lad tried to add me on PSN a while back, probably about 8 years later, so if he forgets about it, I probably should as he is still on Boards AFAIK...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,567 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Fieldog wrote: »
    No one on my ignore list but I did stupidly held a grudge against some clown who reported me for my signature being oversized back in the day, it was slightly coincidental that I beat him in a game of Pro Evo on Xbox a few days prior, petty...

We had a brief exchange at each other via PM and that was that - I think the same lad tried to add me on PSN a while back, probably about 8 years later, so if he forgets about it, I probably should as he is still on Boards AFAIK...

You probably should forget about it. A man is measured by his enemies and lets face it, a lifelong rivalry rooted in Pro Evo on XBox or oversized signature on Boards...nobody wants that in their obituary.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Id say I could recall about 5 usernames on this site so I think that shows how little grudges I hold

• Advertisement

Half the time I read posts without reading the name of the poster who posted it - so I do not even have the chance to take any poster personally really.

The ignore function is useless to me. Party because the person you have on ignore you still end up reading in Quoted text. But also because the more people you have on ignore the more difficult it is to follow the flow of a thread.

But in the end "grudge" is the wrong word. I have no such feelings about any posters. But there are one or two users who are so consistently dishonest - malicious - poisonous - and full of slander that it pays somewhat to confront them when they do it. Which is almost all the time. If only to highlight these things for others to notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Depp wrote: »
    The 'im putting you on ignore' post is just about the saddest thing on boards at the minute, also, I am putting you on ignore :D:D:D

Welcome to my ignore list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

I also don't get the ignore button. People posting stuff I don't agree with or who are annoying me are the most posts I want to see so that I can respond to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I'd say I'm more likely to be the grudgee than the the grudger.

I don't really hold grudges in real life, let alone on Boards. I just tend to feel a bit of pity for people who are wrong all the time because they disagree with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I tried to follow one of the may Irish water treads but there was so much petty name calling on it that it became impossible. Instead of getting caught up in it I just liberality used ignore list feature and added the noisy jabbering posters to it. That's about a far as I'd take it. Unless you go naming secret surfing spots then I'll find you and ......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭valoren

It's what the ignore option is for.

When you argue and win, the other can accept the reasoning or not.
    Where they don't and you have blatantly won an argument then just set them to ignore.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I have a couple of people on ignore, but they are not people that I disagree with what they post, rather I just find their posting style to be absolute crap, one usually just nitpicks everyone else's posts in the forum and sucks out all the fun, another just writes with a lot of personal anecdotes that to me is just a load of drivel

I reckon a lot of the people I'd have ideological disagreements with I would get on with pretty well in real life, where you rarely actually tlak about these things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

There are a few, they take great joy in announcing to one and all that they are putting me on ignore.....meh, I think if you don't piss off 1 or 2 people on boards you're just not doing it right

you can put people on ignore?

ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I never hold a grudge about someone having a different opinion. No point at all. Counter-productive, even.

On the other hand, the one person who harassed me with private messages...I never forget.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

There are a few people whose posts I find consistently dreadful and lacking in empathy or decency, but I wouldn't say I hold a grudge against them. I mean, if they caught fire, I would endeavour to extinguish the blaze - not with urine, but by rolling them on the ground and attempting to smother the flames. I'd then immediately dial 999 and keep them as comfortable as possible until the paramedics arrive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

There are people who I mostly just roll my eyes at as they blame some group when their tea gets cold but to get on my ignore list you have to be one of the most stupid people in the world that makes creationists or people who think the earth is flat look intelligent.

I don't think I can really describe in words just how thick I think a person is to get on my ignore list.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I put your man who always signed his posts on ignore

• Registered Users Posts: 25,488 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Ah he deserves a slap !

• Registered Users Posts: 16,561 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I definitely remember the user's history of posting when they are responding, user's often pretend to be what they are not to get their point across, ntlhell was a married single parent with multiple kids living in some sort of houseapartment who spent all their time poring over football players in far flung leagues.

AongusVB drives a rep mobile, that recently went through an engine upgrade, while sleeping in the bed of the kings and queens of Europe.

It kind of diminishes their posts when those cracks start appearing. The more honest posters will then usually carry more weight in a discussion, in my mind at least.

But live and let live, a persons internet persona is not that person.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

You can't hold a legit grudge, people talk on the internet in a way they would never talk in real life, especially when arguing.

In real life, you have arguments and debates with your mates, but you're holding a pint and will be buying each other pints when it's over even if you can't agree. Internet doesn't work that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Ush1 wrote: »
    You can't hold a legit grudge, people talk on the internet in a way they would never talk in real life, especially when arguing.

In real life, you have arguments and debates with your mates, but you're holding a pint and will be buying each other pints when it's over even if you can't agree. Internet doesn't work that way.
    We could use those beer emojis?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

smash wrote: »

It always comes back to beer emojis with you. Welcome to my ignore list.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,492 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Fieldog wrote: »

Yes I'm still here :pac: ah now I do remember there was 1 poster that kept complaining about a lot of peoples sigs when they changed the sig sizes a few years ago.
    katemarch wrote: »
    I never hold a grudge about someone having a different opinion. No point at all. Counter-productive, even.

On the other hand, the one person who harassed me with private messages...I never forget.

I am unforgettable tho :P
    smash wrote: »

Hmmmm..... beer emojis are good but real beer is better :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Cathy.C

Na, I don't hold grudges.

And if people hold grudges against me just because I'm always and they are always wrong then that's their problem, not mine.

Big of you to admit it :P

Advertisement