Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Census.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

I really did not intend it to be an accusation, it was simply a question.

It was a rhetorical question, surely. The answer is obvious. Therefore, it was not 'simply a question', but more of a statement.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I did not get a Census form.

I will not fill it out.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I didn't tick anything for the religious denomination box as I wasn't included.I had to write in the lines provided for other.
    How can I kick up a stink for being excluded ?

I really don't have any hangups over it ;)

CabanSail wrote: »
    I did not get a Census form.

I will not fill it out.

:D

Congrats for living in a foreign country :)

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

mariaalice wrote: »
    I could make a reasonable attempt at an Irish conversation, so what to say about speaking Irish is difficult.

I do think it would be a better idea to have some levels of speaking languages and not just a binary "speak/not speak". Mówię po polsku dość dobrze, but I don't speak it well enough to declare officially that I "speak it at home".

Personally I think it is intentionally made muddy so as to inflate statistics for number of Irish speakers- people will tend to say Yes because they know a few words and can read road signs and things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Just had mine collected, all she did was check it was signed off. I'm sure in the past they'll had a quick look through. Maybe as this is a "repeat" census ie not the 10 year one where they add new or tweaked questions they have been told to just get them back in quickly. Doing it on the cheap.

Just had mine collected, all she did was check it was signed off. I'm sure in the past they'll had a quick look through. Maybe as this is a "repeat" census ie not the 10 year one where they add new or tweaked questions they have been told to just get them back in quickly. Doing it on the cheap.

She has about 500 forms to collect in 2 weeks. Maybe try it next time and let's know how you get on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

sadie06 wrote: »
    It was a rhetorical question, surely. The answer is obvious. Therefore, it was not 'simply a question', but more of a statement.

How is the answer obvious? Im not a Catholic so Im not sure if the Catholic Church considers you to be a Catholic unless you are a "full participant" (for want of a better expression).

Maybe they do? They seem happy enough to marry and baptise the children of people who never see the inside of a church otherwise. And it helps bump their numbers.

Or maybe they dont? I dont know - thats why I asked.

But thanks for telling me categorically that my question wasnt a question. Its nice when you know better than me what Im thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

I have a visitor in my household tonight but shes a tourist from outside ireland. Do i put her down?

Certainly not,( unless she's in unbearable pain and looking up at you with big frightened eyes)-Just write her details on the form.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭daheff

So you are not a Catholic by the Catholic Churches standards?
    How is the answer obvious? Im not a Catholic so Im not sure if the Catholic Church considers you to be a Catholic unless you are a "full participant" (for want of a better expression).

I'm born a catholic, pushed through the whole school catholic cycle thing...but i dont see myself as a catholic.

I dont identify with any one religion, but I do see myself as believing in a higher being. I put myself as being other, with the named religion as being other.

I found the questions to be very ambiguous on the whole.

Also whats the point in asking where I work? or my job title.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

But thanks for telling me categorically that my question wasnt a question. Its nice when you know better than me what Im thinking.

I don't need to ask what you ticked for the 'do you have a sense of drama' question.

I don't need to ask what you ticked for the 'do you have a sense of drama' question.

You seem very defensive about the whole Catholic/No Religion thing - why is that?

daheff wrote: »

Do you have a personal computer? Eh yes, several including various phones, tablets - even my tv is a smart tv!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I thought some of the questions were a bit complicated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

I said no religion. If they had lapsed Catholic I'd have picked that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,416 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I'm born a catholic, pushed through the whole school catholic cycle thing...but i dont see myself as a catholic.

I dont identify with any one religion, but I do see myself as believing in a higher being. I put myself as being other, with the named religion as being other.

I found the questions to be very ambiguous on the whole.

The definition of a Catholic and what a religious belief is is extremely ambiguous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    My missus filled out our form few weeks back, she also filled out her parent one and her uncles one ( glutenfor punichment), so ive no idea of the exact questions on the form BUT those with temporary overseas visitors .... why are ye drawing extra work upon yourselves? Surely u just leave them off the form ie nothing to see here kinda job?!?

My brkther the cheeky fecker went home for the weekend so my parents had to add him on their form :p

Was there a question about coeliac disease? I must look at the form again I can't remember seeing one on it.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I suspect you were born of no religion until you're parents had you baptised as a Roman Catholic, hence you grew up in that religious tradition ..... and now I guess you're a lapsed Catholic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I fcuked up 3 or 4 questions and just scribbled them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

I was baptised, made my first Holy Communion, was confirmed, married in a church. I attend (and enjoy) mass once a month and for major feast days. I attend religious Choral events. I pray quietly, but not ritualistically with my family.

Given all of the above, do you really think I should have ticked 'No Religion'.

The other option would be to tick 'other' and use a term that you feel more comfortable with ('a la cart Catholic, for example, or even 'Christian' if you don't have any particular affinity with the technical aspects of Roman Catholicism). But it seems like, given the choice between Catholic and None you chose Catholic, which would have been the right answer from what I understand the census wants to know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

darced wrote: »

I am pretty sure that that's a no-no.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭CFlat

Samaris wrote: »
    I am pretty sure that that's a no-no.

Do they not take a quick look through it to make sure you haven't left anything blank?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

darced wrote: »
    The enumerator will check that you have filled out the form correctly when you hand it over to them. They wont read it though.

The enumerator will check that you have filled out the form correctly when you hand it over to them. They wont read it though.

Yea ok. Probably wrote that wrong. I meant just a quick check so nothing has been omitted as opposed to reading it.

Aah, okay, that makes more sense. I was picturing an enumerator reading through your form and making comments on the doorstep! :D

Samaris wrote: »
    Aah, okay, that makes more sense. I was picturing an enumerator reading through your form and making comments on the doorstep! :D

He'd be less then interested in my life!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

You'd think you know how to spell your daughter's name (although I suppose it might have a weird spelling!) but "Is no religion your intended choice"? Sod off, it's right down at the bottom underneath all the other options and to select it accidentally would require an earthquake while the pen is poised!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Mine hasn't been picked up yet!

Advertisement