Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Census.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,373 ✭✭✭Augme

Mine hasn't been picked up yet!

Each enumerator has 400 houses to cover, they wouldn't be collecting all those forms in one night.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Augme wrote: »
    Mine hasn't been picked up yet!

Well I'm off on holidays tonight, and won't be back for a month so best of luck to him or her trying to get it

Each enumerator has 400 houses to cover, they wouldn't be collecting all those forms in one night.
    Add your reply here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Was a bit mad here, my parents both turned 70 recently so we all went away for a family weekend. This meant that my aunt and her Dutch husband were staying here before returning to France this morning and my younger brother and little sister were both home from Scotland where they lived. So basically my parents had 4 people who don't live in this country to account for.

My uncle was horrified by it all. Apparently it is not the done thing in the Netherlands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

For those wondering what happens the forms when collected.

They are tallied by the enumerator who provides the CSO a summary sheet.
    Number of forms, number of males/females. This information is on the front page of the form.

Everything is returned to the CSO and its scanned in and the computers digest the data and provide the figures. According to the CSO person on the news tonight they aim for 365,000 forms per day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

You seem very defensive about the whole Catholic/No Religion thing - why is that?

Now that's a question! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭Allinall

Add your reply here.

Reply added here.

Stick the form in an envelope... Write Freepost. CSO
    and throw it into a postbox on your way to the airport.

Job done.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Everything is returned to the CSO and its scanned in and the computers digest the data and provide the figures. According to the CSO person on the news tonight they aim for 365,000 forms per day.
    365,000 forms a day... So why does it take six months in total, even including rounding it up and shipping?

And why does it then take so long for the figures to come out? The data set involved isn't big by any stretch and we've plenty of analytical tools tools out there. Are they doing it in Excel on somebody's PC?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

ixoy wrote: »
    365,000 forms a day... So why does it take six months in total, even including rounding it up and shipping?

And why does it then take so long for the figures to come out? The data set involved isn't big by any stretch and we've plenty of analytical tools tools out there. Are they doing it in Excel on somebody's PC?

I would give a job of this size a minimum of six months. Collecting, sorting, data entry, people not responding, errors, correcting errors... it's definitely a case of "the first 80 percent of the job takes 80 percent of the time, and the last 20 percent of the job takes the other 80 percent of the time". "Aiming" at 365K forms a day is a goal, not necessarily a realistic expectation.

Probably the reason it takes so long for the the figures to come out is because analysis requires more than just an Excel pie chart and reporting requires more than a sheet of paper with numbers on it. The gathered data has to be evaluated against various measures of internal consistency and unusual trends noted so that possible errors or misunderstandings can be caught before they cause problems. It has to be sifted and sorted and cross-checked. Analysts need to cross-reference all of the variables against each other in pairs and multiples. They need to document their conclusions using professional tools and templates. Decisions need to be made about what the most important findings are, and then decisions need to be made about how the findings are reported to the media. You can lie with data more easily than you can tell the truth with it, if only because it is so easy to misread the data and accidentally mislead yourself.

This is a horrendously complex job and it requires skill and tact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Speedwell wrote: »
    I would give a job of this size a minimum of six months. Collecting, sorting, data entry, people not responding, errors, correcting errors... it's definitely a case of "the first 80 percent of the job takes 80 percent of the time, and the last 20 percent of the job takes the other 80 percent of the time". "Aiming" at 365K forms a day is a goal, not necessarily a realistic expectation.

Probably the reason it takes so long for the the figures to come out is because analysis requires more than just an Excel pie chart and reporting requires more than a sheet of paper with numbers on it. The gathered data has to be evaluated against various measures of internal consistency and unusual trends noted so that possible errors or misunderstandings can be caught before they cause problems. It has to be sifted and sorted and cross-checked. Analysts need to cross-reference all of the variables against each other in pairs and multiples. They need to document their conclusions using professional tools and templates. Decisions need to be made about what the most important findings are, and then decisions need to be made about how the findings are reported to the media. You can lie with data more easily than you can tell the truth with it, if only because it is so easy to misread the data and accidentally mislead yourself.

This is a horrendously complex job and it requires skill and tact.
    I'd believe you k ow what you are talking about with all the numbers and stuff of the job didn't take 160% of the time

• Advertisement

Tigger wrote: »
    I'd believe you k ow what you are talking about with all the numbers and stuff of the job didn't take 160% of the time

It's a well-known project management joke, actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭misstearheus

Did anyone find out what ya do if ya write in wrong thing and there's no other box for ya to write in the correct thing? And what are the chances of it getting lost if I bung it in the post to feic beside waiting around for Collector?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

When do they go collecting? I'm out of the country for 7 days and no one at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

According to the report, the first stats will be out in a couple of months.
    Were are you getting 6 months from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I marked myself Catholic. I've been baptised, I'll be married in a church and be buried in graveyard after catholic mass, so seemed to be the most suitable

Did anyone find out what ya do if ya write in wrong thing and there's no other box for ya to write in the correct thing? And what are the chances of it getting lost if I bung it in the post to feic beside waiting around for Collector?

If it helps, I drew two lines through the error, and beside it I wrote what I actually wanted it to say. I think it will be reasonably clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Anyone put down Jedi?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Anyone put down Jedi?

No but I put down "biker" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

...had an acquaintance over Sunday night so I put him on the form, he's a lazy fecker and he couldn't be arsed filling in his own form so he toddles over to me...:rolleyes:

Anyway, when putting down his profession I put him in as the Master Baker he is, but I spelled it wrong...;) Oops....:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

darced wrote: »
    He definitely did read it, he asked me was my daughters name spelled correctly and was no religion my intended choice.

I thought it was a bit cheeky, I vaguely know the guy from years ago.

You should report him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Anyone put down Jedi?

No.

But my partner and I did put down PASTAFARIAN

(I have the id card, the ordination cert and everything)

All praise his noodley goodness. He boiled for our sins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,641 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Lots have put down Jedi. Take my word for it. ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

you should definitely report them to the CSO.
    they have absolutely no right to influence how you answer any questions
    their job is to make sure it's fully filled in, nothing more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Awh this takes me back! I'm not sure how the data is officially downloaded and analysed....but back in 2010 i had a copy of data from the 2006 census (the non identifying data which is made available, just the tick the box sections) given to me in excel! Thats 1.8 million rows of data on an excel sheet! Ridiculously frustrating to sift through on my laptop, crashing constantly.

So yes they do have the data on a fecking excel sheet!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭CloudCumulus

Sorry if this has been asked.
    I live in a house of students. Theres 7 of us in total. So the enumerator wrote that there should be 7.
    Anyway 5 of us were here on the night so filled it in.
    The other two were listed on wherever they were on the night.
    Do they have to fill in themselves as absent from here?

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭cnoc

Sorry if this has been asked.
    I live in a house of students. Theres 7 of us in total. So the enumerator wrote that there should be 7.
    Anyway 5 of us were here on the night so filled it in.
    The other two were listed on wherever they were on the night.
    Do they have to fill in themselves as absent from here?

See page 22.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Noo wrote: »
    So yes they do have the data on a fecking excel sheet!

There isn't an excel spreadsheet that can take 1.8 million rows.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

The census enumerator covering my road was a pure hottie..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

My housemate is a student and was at home on the night of the census.

On page 22 Question A3: Is this person a student away at school or college?

I assume the 'away' is related to the house I'm living in. So the answer be No?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

My enumerator was a woman.

Advertisement