Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repossessed Cattle Auction(mod warning in op)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,636 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Exactly!

Were the cattle feckin pets or what? Breed a few hundred pedegree holstiens and not sell them on! :O

Shame on them for neglecting their bastes too - no sympathy for these people after reading that!

can I ask what are bastes?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Lisa, sorry for you pain, and best wishes with the study.
    Holsteins, like greyhounds are bony, especially after a milking season.

My agnst is that there has been spin on this family and their farming by some involved with organising this sale.
    Not sure why, its outside their remit to conduct a public PR offensive.
    This tactic has been used before by establishment type organisations, The Hanrahan case in Tipp and the other case in West Limerick come to mind.
    Bad mouth the farmer tends to be part of the offensive.

My remark on medical was as one of this family are also in the med prof and I was afraid some other agenda was as a result of that.

Sorry for being wrong on this and best wishes. I respect your good faith in comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Muahahaha wrote: »
    can I ask what are bastes?
    Colloquial term for beasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

Water John wrote: »
    Lisa, sorry for you pain, and best wishes with the study.
    Holsteins, like greyhounds are bony, especially after a milking season.

My agnst is that there has been spin on this family and their farming by some involved with organising this sale.
    Not sure why, its outside their remit to conduct a public PR offensive.
    This tactic has been used before by establishment type organisations, The Hanrahan case in Tipp and the other case in West Limerick come to mind.
    Bad mouth the farmer tends to be part of the offensive.

My remark on medical was as one of this family are also in the med prof and I was afraid some other agenda was as a result of that.

Sorry for being wrong on this and best wishes. I respect your good faith in comment.

I know Holsteins, and while some of these were fine, some really were not. There's skinny naturally, and then there's bony.

I genuinely agree with you though, the family have been through a lot in the media, it's been on the news and everything, and it should have been a private issue.

I don't know the family, so wouldn't know if any of them were in a similar medical field to I, don't even know their surname to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Can almost hear the 'dinging' of microwaves filled with popcorn from anyone following this story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I wouldn't believe anything from a state "sheriff" they are only interested in their pound of flesh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭BlueLass

I wouldn't believe anything from a state "sheriff" they are only interested in their pound of flesh

What do you mean by 'state sheriff'? Far as I know the cork and Dublin sheriffs are not directly employed by the state. Rest of the county sheriffs are also the county registrars and returning officers so therefore are directly employed by the state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭melissak

orm0nd wrote: »
    another google warrior....

no way would you sell a 1000 head in 1 go @ 1300, 700 would be more like it 800 the very tops

sheriff's fees already 1.5 to 2.

milk price is hitting rock bottom & most farmers are already heavily borrowed so realizing 10k /ac. is easier said than done
    Not for whoever is chasing this farm I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

I would assume that the day the sheriff first went on to this farm that she was accompanied by members of the Gardaí.
    If she had misgivings about the condition of the animals or the conditions on the farm surely they were the relevant authority to report to, not the courts and not the media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I would assume that the day the sheriff first went on to this farm that she was accompanied by members of the Gardaí.
    If she had misgivings about the condition of the animals or the conditions on the farm surely they were the relevant authority to report to, not the courts and not the media.
    There is way too much selective leaking to the media going on from both sides in this case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Icepick

This farmer millionaire wannabe is is as greedy and out of touch with reality as the bankers and property gamblers he and his ilk are blaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,762 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Icepick wrote: »
    This farmer millionaire wannabe is is as greedy and out of touch with reality as the bankers and property gamblers he and his ilk are blaming.

Aren't we all millionaire wannabies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Icepick

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Aren't we all millionaire wannabies.
    not until you own 1,000 cows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

Family borrow millions.
    Family refinance borrowings and add some more.
    Family dont pay back loans as agreed.
    Family whinge and whine about the little fella being screwed over.
    Zero sympathy!

My (limited) understanding on this is that the family borrowed to grow their business and used their land as security. The cattle were not part of that security.
    Also, the bank in question agreed to a repayment schedule which the family met in full but the bank then reneged on the deal.

Why no sympathy? Surely Irish people (in particular) should have sympathy for anyone in these awful circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

LorMal wrote: »
    My (limited) understanding on this is that the family borrowed to grow their business and used their land as security. The cattle were not part of that security.
    Also, the bank in question agreed to a repayment schedule which the family met in full but the bank then reneged on the deal.

Why no sympathy? Surely Irish people (in particular) should have sympathy for anyone in these awful circumstances.

Yes your understanding is limited. Where did you see that the repayment schedule was met in full. How much was paid since 2013?

xLisaBx wrote: »
    Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Sheriff has Junior Hospital BioMeds working for her?
    Wow......
    A friend of mine was in charge of the sale. I helped her sort out paperwork, the farm was huge, and as you can imagine, so was the paperwork. What has my professional life to do with that? No capital M in Biomed either.. ;)
    Well Lisa is live there. I'm waiting for some evidence.
    Yeah, I was live. I was attempting to study, I have 8 finals left to complete in the next 3 weeks. That, and crippling back pain and spasms that lead to loss of sensation in one of my legs, took up most of my day. Sorry about that.
    Why would she have taken pics of the cattle when she was working there? They are probably sold by now so no chance for pics.

Her statement that the cattle were skinny is evidence.

A statement to the contrary from another eyewitness who was also there would now be required to counter her evidence.

In the absence of contrary evidence, her word is good.

I was genuinely horrified by the malnutrition, and taking a photograph wasn't my first instinct. I helped with paperwork, not milking them and herding them.
    Well, she is entitled to an opinion. The basis of this forum.
    If its another agenda, eg the medical world, don't want any personal stuff, thank you.
    I would absolutely never reveal medical information on a patient. That goes against both my contract and my personal ethics. How dare you have the audacity to suggest otherwise.
    fepper wrote: »
    Holstein cows are thin by nature,not like beef cattle
    Thin, yes. Bones protruding, not so much.
    2smiggy wrote: »
    why would she put pictures on here ? she is an anonymous user, why should she risk that to please you ?
    Exactly. Plus, I never took any pictures. Why would I? I was helping a friend with paperwork, why would I take pictures of animals?
    Battle, your not saying it, just implying it, but Lisa did say it and basically has accused the family of animal cruelty.
    You cannot do that or defend it in a public forum without possible consequences.
    Doing it anonomously is cowardly.

In what world is starvation not animal cruelty? By the way, I never accused anybody of animal cruelty. I am more than sympathetic towards the family and genuinely cannot begin to empathise with the depth of their loss. But I did see cattle with bones protruding, and I did hear of calves dying.

I'm sorry if I have offended anybody, didn't think my comment would spark such angst.
    Add your reply here.
    Is it professional for you to be giving out details like this? Who do you work for now would be a pertinent question. It will be easy enough to find out who did the paperwork for this farm. Can't see them getting much further business from farming. Using q job to find secrets for media tattle is universally frowned upon particularly by farmers and businesses. Something tells me however that YOU as boss wont judge you too harshly for your lack of professional ethics. If you look for a different biomedical job you will find this is a sector not falling over themselves to hire spys. Unless they have a use for spys that is.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Sheriff has Junior Hospital BioMeds working for her?
    Wow......
    A friend of mine was in charge of the sale. I helped her sort out paperwork, the farm was huge, and as you can imagine, so was the paperwork. What has my professional life to do with that? No capital M in Biomed either.. ;)
    Well Lisa is live there. I'm waiting for some evidence.
    Yeah, I was live. I was attempting to study, I have 8 finals left to complete in the next 3 weeks. That, and crippling back pain and spasms that lead to loss of sensation in one of my legs, took up most of my day. Sorry about that.
    Why would she have taken pics of the cattle when she was working there? They are probably sold by now so no chance for pics.

Her statement that the cattle were skinny is evidence.

A statement to the contrary from another eyewitness who was also there would now be required to counter her evidence.

In the absence of contrary evidence, her word is good.

I was genuinely horrified by the malnutrition, and taking a photograph wasn't my first instinct. I helped with paperwork, not milking them and herding them.
    Well, she is entitled to an opinion. The basis of this forum.
    If its another agenda, eg the medical world, don't want any personal stuff, thank you.
    I would absolutely never reveal medical information on a patient. That goes against both my contract and my personal ethics. How dare you have the audacity to suggest otherwise.
    fepper wrote: »
    Holstein cows are thin by nature,not like beef cattle
    Thin, yes. Bones protruding, not so much.
    2smiggy wrote: »
    why would she put pictures on here ? she is an anonymous user, why should she risk that to please you ?
    Exactly. Plus, I never took any pictures. Why would I? I was helping a friend with paperwork, why would I take pictures of animals?
    Battle, your not saying it, just implying it, but Lisa did say it and basically has accused the family of animal cruelty.
    You cannot do that or defend it in a public forum without possible consequences.
    Doing it anonomously is cowardly.

In what world is starvation not animal cruelty? By the way, I never accused anybody of animal cruelty. I am more than sympathetic towards the family and genuinely cannot begin to empathise with the depth of their loss. But I did see cattle with bones protruding, and I did hear of calves dying.

I'm sorry if I have offended anybody, didn't think my comment would spark such angst.
    Add your reply here.
    Is it professional for you to be giving out details like this? Who do you work for now would be a pertinent question. It will be easy enough to find out who did the paperwork for this farm. Can't see them getting much further business from farming. Using a job to find secrets for media tattle is universally frowned upon particularly by farmers and businesses. Something tells me however that YOU R boss wont judge you too harshly for your lack of professional ethics. If you look for a different biomedical job you will find this is a sector not falling over themselves to hire spys. Unless they have a use for spys that is.

MIKEKC wrote: »
    Yes your understanding is limited. Where did you see that the repayment schedule was met in full. How much was paid since 2013?

You sound full of hate.

You sound full of hate.

Hate for whom?. Just dealing with the facts. You haven't stated where you got the wrong information

Melissak, I think this issue was dealt with already in discussion between Lisa and I, two days ago.
    Lisa is a young student who was helping a friend. Lets not get too heavy here.

The matter was dealt with and in fairness, let it be now.

• Advertisement

Hate for whom?. Just dealing with the facts. You haven't stated where you got the wrong information

What's this, an interrogation? gonna send me to Gitmo for some water boarding? I didn't get it all fact checked by the CIA, boss - it's just what he said when interviewed on RTE radio.
    Keep grinding your gears there Mike.

Melissak, I think this issue was dealt with already in discussion between Lisa and I, two days ago.
    Lisa is a young student who was helping a friend. Lets not get too heavy here.

The matter was dealt with and in fairness, let it be now.
    Add your reply here.
    I haven't read the thread fully. I'll go back over it. Seems a bit shifty..

What's this, an interrogation? gonna send me to Gitmo for some water boarding? I didn't get it all fact checked by the CIA, boss - it's just what he said when interviewed on RTE radio.

Looks like you got your information from the horses mouth as they say. But then this horse failed to make it to the finish. Wouldn't be believing everything that man would say. Bank say different

Looks like you got your information from the horses mouth as they say. But then this horse failed to make it to the finish. Wouldn't be believing everything that man would say. Bank say different
    Add your reply here.
    Sounds like you are fairly close to one of the horses in the race too.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

melissak wrote: »
    Add your reply here.
    Is it professional for you to be giving out details like this? Who do you work for now would be a pertinent question. It will be easy enough to find out who did the paperwork for this farm. Can't see them getting much further business from farming. Using a job to find secrets for media tattle is universally frowned upon particularly by farmers and businesses. Something tells me however that YOU R boss wont judge you too harshly for your lack of professional ethics. If you look for a different biomedical job you will find this is a sector not falling over themselves to hire spys. Unless they have a use for spys that is.

I worked for 2 half days helping her sort stuff. I didn't even work to be honest- it was voluntary because she had lots to do. Just gave her a hand.

You'd swear I leaked all the farm info by the way. I just said that I saw some underweight cattle, that's about it.

5 years of medical training will be getting me a job in my area too. Not what I post about underweight animals, not for expressing an opinion on animal cruelty and not for apologising for doing so.

I have professional ethics too. If a patient is dying, I'm not going home gossiping about their new set of results, how their tumours have metastasised or how they have come resistant to medication. We sign a contract of privacy, and you can say absolutely anything you want about me- but I will not tolerate you questioning my ethics.

Lisa, I have family in the medical profession. I accept your bona fides. Just ignore. That poster should be over on The Journal. More at home there.
    Annoys me, people posting and not having read the thread fully.

Lisa, I have family in the medical profession. I accept your bona fides. Just ignore. That poster should be over on The Journal. More at home there.
    Annoys me, people posting and not having read the thread fully.

And it annoys me to see such an obvious smear campaign. Seriously lads you need to up your game. Glass is harder to see through sometimes.

I worked for 2 half days helping her sort stuff. I didn't even work to be honest- it was voluntary because she had lots to do. Just gave her a hand.

You'd swear I leaked all the farm info by the way. I just said that I saw some underweight cattle, that's about it.

5 years of medical training will be getting me a job in my area too. Not what I post about underweight animals, not for expressing an opinion on animal cruelty and not for apologising for doing so.

I have professional ethics too. If a patient is dying, I'm not going home gossiping about their new set of results, how their tumours have metastasised or how they have come resistant to medication. We sign a contract of privacy, and you can say absolutely anything you want about me- but I will not tolerate you questioning my ethics.

If you are a professional or even a decent human being, if you are employed by someone, and you have a concern for animal welfare you either take it up with the person, or the spca so they can investigate it fully. You don't go tatting to the heavily interested media. You don't go on forums besmirching another person unless you have some reason to do so... Ps I don't give a rats ass what you will or won't tolerate about questioning. You opened this can of worms. You showed yourself to be devoid of such ethics. This is an opinions forum,I can question whatever I choose. Who do you think you are? What hat are you wearing today? Sherrif or whatever/Lisa the student/now boards moderator. Those finals mustn't be that taxing if you have time for all this extracurricular activity

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

melissak wrote: »
    And it annoys me to see such an obvious smear campaign. Seriously lads you need to up your game. Glass is harder to see through sometimes.

I don't see how it's a smear campaign by Lisa when the fact that the animals were malnourished was reported in the paper. Unless you're claiming that the vet there on the day is in on it too?

• Advertisement

How did you have time to do five years of medicine since 2014 when you did your leaving cert as per your posts? The interwebs are trickier. Harder to keep a spiel going..Unless you have cracked time travel. If so well done..

Advertisement