Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repossessed Cattle Auction(mod warning in op)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Wow Lisa, any proof of that assertion on your part? A little pic perhaps, anything.

Must have really fed them to get them ready for sale in four months of winter, with them calving down and all.

Evidence to me would be, increased mortality at the back end of the year. Any figures there?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,203 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Sheriff has Junior Hospital BioMeds working for her?
    Wow......

• Registered Users Posts: 11,762 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

xLisaBx wrote: »
    I was working on this sale. The state that some of the cattle were in due to the malnutrition was appalling.
    Water John wrote: »
    Wow Lisa, any proof of that assertion on your part? A little pic perhaps, anything.

Must have really fed them to get them ready for sale in four months of winter, with them calving down and all.

Evidence to me would be, increased mortality at the back end of the year. Any figures there?
    Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Wow......

Maybe I am getting my wires crossed but are you saying that xLisaBx isn't telling the truth?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

if milk prices stay the way they are there will be plenty more of this

Farmers were promised so much by government agencies when the markets were opened up and of course the money lenders threw money at them just like they did with businesses during the boom

I don't blame any farmer who got caught like this

Well Lisa is live there. I'm waiting for some evidence.

• Advertisement

Why would she have taken pics of the cattle when she was working there? They are probably sold by now so no chance for pics.

Her statement that the cattle were skinny is evidence.

A statement to the contrary from another eyewitness who was also there would now be required to counter her evidence.

In the absence of contrary evidence, her word is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

Did she have to say anything,like mind her own business

Well, she is entitled to an opinion. The basis of this forum.
    If its another agenda, eg the medical world, don't want any personal stuff, thank you.

fepper wrote: »
    Did she have to say anything,like mind her own business

It's a free country. This is a public forum for voicing one's opinions. She is entitled to voice her opinion.

If she saw skinny cattle, why shouldn't she state what she saw in a thread about said cattle.

Holstein cows are thin by nature,not like beef cattle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,317 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

why would she put pictures on here ? she is an anonymous user, why should she risk that to please you ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

BattleCorp wrote: »
    It's a free country.
    Where you can be sued for defamation.
    This is a public forum for voicing one's opinions.
    Its a publicly accessible website privately owned and they can get sued too.
    She is entitled to voice her opinion.
    So long as it stays within Boards rules and guidelines and the law of the land. Break any of them and user's "entitlement" ends.

I know people seem to hold fast to the notion that we live in America with "the right to free speech", but we don't and certainly not on a private website.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

A pic of a cow, last Dec, not herself!!!!!

Many people don't realise that as fepper said, the holstiens are like greyhounds. You couldn't fatten them if you tried. Bred to milk.

Many people don't realise that as fepper said, the holstiens are like greyhounds. You couldn't fatten them if you tried. Bred to milk.

you could not tell the difference between a badly/under fed holstien and and a holstien in normal condition ???

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/order-to-stop-disruption-of-auction-of-cattle-owned-by-irelands-fittest-family-392452.html

The above article also details that the cattle were in poor condition. This would seem to back up xLisaBx's opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

HensVassal wrote: »
    What I was talking about was the facilities for keeping them not in a field but in the byres connected on either side of a silage pit. They have cubicles to lie in but a free to roam in and out to the large concrete yard where they can consume the silage.[/QUOTE)

You wouldn't see that kind of set up much nowadays.

for the price per litre , trying to run a 1000 head of cattle farm on 175 acres is mental. having to buy in feeding all year round was never going to be sustainable. there was only one way milk prices were going to go after the quotas went.

I agree with you about price after quota lift, smiggy. Sadly, all the 'experts' disagreed with us. We were told absolutely, milk would be in demand until 2021.

'experts' usually leave the fools to do all the donkey work anyway

i pity the dairy farmers who invested heavily over the last few years, they are really beginning to suffer now. I'm afraid many more 'big' farmers will be under similar pressure over the coming months. It's just the Kingstons have owed this money along time, and don't seem to be making much effort to pay it back. Hard for the bank to take no action. unfortunately a farm is a business , and like any business the debts have to be serviced, or the bank takes the collateral provided and sells it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Birneybau wrote: »
    Create debts, pay them back.
    But they are Ireland's fittest family.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/order-to-stop-disruption-of-auction-of-cattle-owned-by-irelands-fittest-family-392452.html

The above article also details that the cattle were in poor condition. This would seem to back up xLisaBx's opinion.

And this article is the farmers rebuttal of some of these allegations

http://www.southernstar.ie/news/roundup/articles/2016/04/17/4118112-kinsale-farmer-in-war-of-words-with-co-sheriff/.

I wasn't there so I can't say who is telling the truth.

I'm not saying that the farmer isn't telling the truth but I'd doubt that there are many farmers who would admit that their cattle were malnurished.

I'm not saying that the farmer isn't telling the truth but I'd doubt that there are many farmers who would admit that their cattle were malnurished.[/QUO it would make no no sense to not feed your animals right as they are your bread and butter for living,you treat them right and hopefully they return the favour

I'm not saying that the farmer isn't telling the truth but I'd doubt that there are many farmers who would admit that their cattle were malnurished.

it would make no no sense to not feed your animals right as they are your bread and butter for living,you treat them right and hopefully they return the favour

I agree with you 100% that it would make no sense but if the farmer was struggling financially, maybe he mightn't have had the funds to purchase enough animal feeds etc.

I'm not saying that is the case with the farmer in this thread, but it is a possibility.

Battle, your not saying it, just implying it, but Lisa did say it and basically has accused the family of animal cruelty.
    You cannot do that or defend it in a public forum without possible consequences.
    Doing it anonomously is cowardly.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Well said Robert KK.
    Dairying, very though business. Price on the floor. Everyone telling farmer expand. He has to, to keep still. Pure threadmill and every one else making money off him.

But he's making money at the expense of the European taxpayer so is in no position to complain.

Battle, your not saying it, just implying it, but Lisa did say it and basically has accused the family of animal cruelty.
    You cannot do that or defend it in a public forum without possible consequences.

I commented that the animals were reported to be malnurished by the article in the Newspaper. The article even named the person making the accusation and the vet that was reportedly accompanying them.

Can you show me the quote that I made that could have consequences for me?

Not you Battle, you stayed on the right side of the line. Comment was to Lisa.

The vet had to prove his worth. Same as any consultant.

As I said, raised mortality would be a key indicator.
    It would have been very hard to get cows up and running and ready for sale, calving and all in 4 months, if they were in very poor condition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Wow......
    A friend of mine was in charge of the sale. I helped her sort out paperwork, the farm was huge, and as you can imagine, so was the paperwork. What has my professional life to do with that? No capital M in Biomed either.. ;)
    Yeah, I was live. I was attempting to study, I have 8 finals left to complete in the next 3 weeks. That, and crippling back pain and spasms that lead to loss of sensation in one of my legs, took up most of my day. Sorry about that.
    Why would she have taken pics of the cattle when she was working there? They are probably sold by now so no chance for pics.

Her statement that the cattle were skinny is evidence.

A statement to the contrary from another eyewitness who was also there would now be required to counter her evidence.

In the absence of contrary evidence, her word is good.

I was genuinely horrified by the malnutrition, and taking a photograph wasn't my first instinct. I helped with paperwork, not milking them and herding them.
    Well, she is entitled to an opinion. The basis of this forum.
    If its another agenda, eg the medical world, don't want any personal stuff, thank you.
    I would absolutely never reveal medical information on a patient. That goes against both my contract and my personal ethics. How dare you have the audacity to suggest otherwise.
    Thin, yes. Bones protruding, not so much.
    2smiggy wrote: »
    why would she put pictures on here ? she is an anonymous user, why should she risk that to please you ?
    Exactly. Plus, I never took any pictures. Why would I? I was helping a friend with paperwork, why would I take pictures of animals?

In what world is starvation not animal cruelty? By the way, I never accused anybody of animal cruelty. I am more than sympathetic towards the family and genuinely cannot begin to empathise with the depth of their loss. But I did see cattle with bones protruding, and I did hear of calves dying.

I'm sorry if I have offended anybody, didn't think my comment would spark such angst.

Advertisement